PDA

View Full Version : Spring Football

dolfan_101
05-15-2006, 09:58 PM
1st day of spring football. it owned. it was hot, but not bad. how many of you are prepairing for football next year?

Dolfan984
05-15-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm already in the middle of my season :D

What position do you play?

Agent51
05-15-2006, 10:27 PM
1st day of spring football. it owned. it was hot, but not bad. how many of you are prepairing for football next year?

My adult semi pro league starts up soon, two weeks I believe, been training hardcore for two months now, tryin to bulk up to 180/190-ish from my normal 155/160. I'm only 5'8", lol, I need some bulk or these HUGE Hawai'ians would CRUSH me

I play HB and S/CB

dolfan_101
05-15-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm already in the middle of my season :D

What position do you play?

WR :dolphins:

Agent51
05-15-2006, 11:10 PM
What # dos everyone wear? For me it's 21, has been since I started Pop Warner, and was my number in every sport but little league baseball and little league soccer, because they didn't go up to 21, lol, so I wore 7 and 13 (for Dan) respectively. But in the Majors in little league baseball all the way to high school, in all my years of hockey all th way up to high school, and all my years from day one I have worn #21

Dolfan984
05-16-2006, 12:13 AM
My # is in my avy :D

Agent51
05-16-2006, 12:14 AM
My # is in my avy :D

SWEET, Dan Marino! Guess that answers what position you play, lol (unless your one of those people who has a non-positional #, like Defensive ends who wear single digits etc)

Dolfan984
05-16-2006, 12:15 AM
SWEET, Dan Marino! Guess that answers what position you play, lol.

Funnest position there is :D

Agent51
05-16-2006, 12:19 AM

Hmmm, never played it in real football, but I have QBed in backyard football. I have to say the two I enjoy most are my two though. HB is great, fun to make people miss, or run them over, plus you stll get to catch a few passes and maybe even throw one or two a game. As far as S/CB, I love the hitting. I prefer S, because it lets me setup for better hits, and because I don't have to run AS much. When you play "iron man" and your positions are HB and CB thats a LOT of running, lol, at least at S I can drop back and play zone more, so I don't have to full out sprint on every play.

Alex44
05-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Unfortunatly I dont have a season anywhere this year....or probally anywhere in my future

But

Wr

6'1 180

Agent51
05-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Unfortunatly I dont have a season anywhere this year....or probally anywhere in my future

But

Wr

6'1 180

How do you not have one in your future? You're 16, what does that make you, a Sophomore? Play for your JV team, or Varsity if you make it.

Nappy Roots
05-16-2006, 12:25 AM

i disagree. when i played center my freshman season, i had the time of my ****in life. the QB tappin on my nuts all the time...:rolleyes2

wonderful

needless to say, i switched positions cause it was to much fun

Alex44
05-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Hmmm, never played it in real football, but I have QBed in backyard football. I have to say the two I enjoy most are my two though. HB is great, fun to make people miss, or run them over, plus you stll get to catch a few passes and maybe even throw one or two a game. As far as S/CB, I love the hitting. I prefer S, because it lets me setup for better hits, and because I don't have to run AS much. When you play "iron man" and your positions are HB and CB thats a LOT of running, lol, at least at S I can drop back and play zone more, so I don't have to full out sprint on every play.

Playing QB sucks when you have no offensive line or recievers....you dont want to do it

Ive always prided myself in playing WR but one season I remember I played QB, One game I got a concussion because the O-line couldnt block, and it just wasnt fun

On defense I play corner/safety/DE

It really depends what kind of defense we run, if its man to man I play corner, if its zone I play SS, and sometimes I like to line up at DE and get some pressure on the QB

Alex44
05-16-2006, 12:26 AM
How do you not have one in your future? You're 16, what does that make you, a Sophomore? Play for your JV team, or Varsity if you make it.

Because im homeschooled this year and im trying to graduate early, and I cant play college football at 16.......my body couldnt take that I dont think, Id try but I wouldnt hold up

Rocky Raccoon
05-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Because im homeschooled this year and im trying to graduate early, and I cant play college football at 16.......my body couldnt take that I dont think, Id try but I wouldnt hold up

start training and building your body...if you want to play, then try out. You will always regret it if you don't.

Agent51
05-16-2006, 12:30 AM
i disagree. when i played center my freshman season, i had the time of my ****in life. the QB tappin on my nuts all the time...:rolleyes2

wonderful

needless to say, i switched positions cause it was to much fun

Speaking of centers, I have always had this trick play idea in my head, and always wondered why it's never used. I think on a goal-line situation, or 4th and inches, the QB should yell hike, and the center bring the ball back like he's snapping it, except instead of letting go to the QB, he just brings it back forward and dives forward. It would seem to me like that is more effect than the QB sneak as the center is literally ON the line of scrimmage or goal-line in that situation, he just has to basically fall forward for the TD/1st down.

Alex44
05-16-2006, 12:31 AM
start training and building your body...if you want to play, then try out. You will always regret it if you don't.

Ive always thought that

In fact that was sort of my plan, I used to be like 5'11 155, I really got a lot bigger

Figure I'll try for a small D-I school or a D-II school, not just gonna walk into University of Miami and be the go to guy :lol:

Agent51
05-16-2006, 12:32 AM

Exactly. When I passed up my scholarship to San Diego State and then DIDN'T try out as a walk-on at the Univeristy of Hawai'i, I was regretting it withing a year, I ws just fiending for some football, and backyard stuff wasn't cutting it. Thakfully I ended up finding an adult league, but up until then not a day went by that I had some sort of thoughts and regrets that I should've taken the scholarship or walked-on at Hawai'i.

Nappy Roots
05-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Speaking of centers, I have always had this trick play idea in my head, and always wondered why it's never used. I think on a goal-line situation, or 4th and inches, the QB should yell hike, and the center bring the ball back like he's snapping it, except instead of letting go to the QB, he just brings it back forward and dives forward. It would seem to me like that is more effect than the QB sneak as the center is literally ON the line of scrimmage or goal-line in that situation, he just has to basically fall forward for the TD/1st down.

well, especially on goaline situations, the center has someone over top of him and is going to hit him as soon as its hiked. The center needs both hands and all his strength to block, i dont think it would work.

Alex44
05-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Exactly. When I passed up my scholarship to San Diego State and then DIDN'T try out as a walk-on at the Univeristy of Hawai'i, I was regretting it withing a year, I ws just fiending for some football, and backyard stuff wasn't cutting it. Thakfully I ended up finding an adult league, but up until then not a day went by that I had some sort of thoughts and regrets that I should've taken the scholarship or walked-on at Hawai'i.

Your still 22 and its not to late, but eventually it will be, unless you already graduated college

Agent51
05-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Your still 22 and its not to late, but eventually it will be, unless you already graduated college

Well, I've given up on school, so it IS too late, lol. Right now I am moving up the ranks very quickly, way quicker than normal, in the industry I decided I want to make a living in (Nightclubs) and it is exactly what I would be doing after I graduated college, so why wait 4 years and start over when I'm already up to bar manager of the most popular nightclubs in Hawai'i at 22 years old? Lol, that would be dumb of me. Plus, I found the adult league, so I'm playing, so I'm getting my fix, and it's all good, haha.

Alex44
05-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Well, I've given up on school, so it IS too late, lol. Right now I am moving up the ranks very quickly, way quicker than normal, in the industry I decided I want to make a living in (Nightclubs) and it is exactly what I would be doing after I graduated college, so why wait 4 years and start over when I'm already up to bar manager of the most popular nightclubs in Hawai'i at 22 years old? Lol, that would be dumb of me. Plus, I found the adult league, so I'm playing, so I'm getting my fix, and it's all good, haha.

Haha or you could be an NFL prospect, doesnt that sound much better :wink:

Okay I dont know if your that good :lol: but if you were id say screw your job go for it

Agent51
05-16-2006, 12:51 AM
well, especially on goaline situations, the center has someone over top of him and is going to hit him as soon as its hiked. The center needs both hands and all his strength to block, i dont think it would work.

Well I know, but if he's like an inch, or inches, from the endzone then when the QB says HIKE (or whatever cadence he uses) the center just stays low and outstretches his arms with the ball tighly gripped, the ball breaks the plane, TD. He doesn't like stand up, block, then run forward, he just stays low, kinda dives forward right from his ready position. Just the dive forward should be enough on 4th and inches, or right on the goal-line. IDK, just a thought, tryin to come up with a Dan Marino-esq fake play :D

Alex44
05-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Well I know, but if he's like an inch, or inches, from the endzone then when the QB says HIKE (or whatever cadence he uses) the center just stays low and outstretches his arms with the ball tighly gripped, the ball breaks the plane, TD. He doesn't like stand up, block, then run forward, he just stays low, kinda dives forward right from his ready position. Just the dive forward should be enough on 4th and inches, or right on the goal-line. IDK, just a thought, tryin to come up with a Dan Marino-esq fake play :D

Not sure BUT

I think it might be because an O-lineman isnt an eligable reciever, and since the QB is technically behind him it would probally be considerd a pass.

I know if the ball touches the ground the center can pick it up and dive forwards but you dont wanna risk losing it

Agent51
05-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Haha or you could be an NFL prospect, doesnt that sound much better :wink:

Okay I dont know if your that good :lol: but if you were id say screw your job go for it

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I'm good. NFL Good? IDK, but I'm only 5'8" and 180-190 playing weight, thats a bit small (height-wise) for the NFL, and I'm not Barry Sanders-good to compensate for it, lol. I did play on Varisty from 10th grade on though, and lead the state (albeit it RHODE ISLAND, lol) in rushing yards all three of those years, and was 4th, 1st, and 3rd in rushing TDs those three years. I made 1st team all-state all 4 years of high school, but again, it's RHODE ISLAND, lol, so who knows where I would have ranked if I were in a bigger, crazy football factory state like Texas, Cali, or Florida. I got the SDSU scholarship, but they are the only team I sent my tape to because if I was going to live anywhere but Hawai'i I wanted it to be San Diego and they were the only D-1A school there, so IDK how I would have faired scholarship-wise with other programs. I think another part of me not sending my tape to other, bigger schools was because I though I was just too small to play in the NFL. I'm not saying I was/am NFL material, but I have this thought in my head that no matter how good I am or how good I make myself through hard work, I'm still too short for the biggest stage, so I always figured, why play 4 more years if the NFL isn't going to happen? I can just play in adult leagues for that matter and not worry about everything else like the crazy NCAA regulations (the rulebook is like 349875293867 pages) and the acedemics (even though I had a 3.9 GPA, lol) and all that.

Rocky Raccoon
05-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I'm good. NFL Good? IDK, but I'm only 5'8" and 180-190 playing weight, thats a bit small (height-wise) for the NFL, and I'm not Barry Sanders-good to compensate for it, lol. I did play on Varisty from 10th grade on though, and lead the state (albeit it RHODE ISLAND, lol) in rushing yards all three of those years, and was 4th, 1st, and 3rd in rushing TDs those three years. I made 1st team all-state all 4 years of high school, but again, it's RHODE ISLAND, lol, so who knows where I would have ranked if I were in a bigger, crazy football factory state like Texas, Cali, or Florida. I got the SDSU scholarship, but they are the only team I sent my tape to because if I was going to live anywhere but Hawai'i I wanted it to be San Diego and they were the only D-1A school there, so IDK how I would have faired scholarship-wise with other programs. I think another part of me not sending my tape to other, bigger schools was because I though I was just too small to play in the NFL. I'm not saying I was/am NFL material, but I have this thought in my head that no matter how good I am or how good I make myself through hard work, I'm still too short for the biggest stage, so I always figured, why play 4 more years if the NFL isn't going to happen? I can just play in adult leagues for that matter and not worry about everything else like the crazy NCAA regulations (the rulebook is like 349875293867 pages) and the acedemics (even though I had a 3.9 GPA, lol) and all that.

two words...Zach Thomas :wink:

Alex44
05-16-2006, 01:06 AM

Yeah unfortunatly you cant teach Height, but Darren Sproles is about 5'7 and there is one guy that played WR for the texans last year that was 5'6, not sure how much playing time he got, but hell he was on the team

I wish I was faster and less vertically challenged....jumping wise I mean :lol:

Im not slow by any stretch, but im not the fastest WR in the world either, I jump better in games...but im still challenged in that aspect too, but Im okay with everything else, Work Ethic, Determination, and so on, Sometimes I sit in bed memorizing Jerry Rice stats and imagining my name in the record book instead of his 'Jerry is my favorite player all time'

Agent51
05-16-2006, 01:16 AM
two words...Zach Thomas :wink:

I know there are exceptions, like Zach and Barry and stuff, and I DO love the game to no end, and it WAS always my dream (like probably every kid) to play in the NFL, but IDK what happened, lol. I don't really have an excuse actually, I think I just kinda took that "too small" attitude and combined it with my abolute love for Hawai'i and the job I landed and used it as an excuse never to go to SDSU or try out for Hawai'i. The thing now is, I'd have to take alternate route should I ever decide to try, because since I play in an adult league that is considered "pro" since we get paid for the games we play ($75 if we lose, $200 if we win), that makes me inelidgeable due to NCAA regulations. I'd have to go Arena Ball or CFL, lol. IDK if I could ever leave HAWAI'I for CANADA.

Another thing that gets in the way is my surfing. I am under contract with my sponsors, so I HAVE to go on the surf trips and the bus tours and stuff. Not only does that complicate things from a schedule standpoint, but also from a physical standpoint. Like right now, I've been hardcore strength training and putting on muscle mass. My goal is 185/190-ish for playing wieght. When I'm NOT playing, I'm around 155/160-ish. My surfing training is MUCH different than football. Surfing is all about staying toned up and flexible. Football is all about power and bulking up. My surfng physique/training doesn't work for football (I'd get slaughtered and probably seriously injured) and my football one doesn't work for surfing (I'd lose flexiblity needed to surf at a high level). It kind of works now because in the summer I don't travel NEARLY as much as I do in the fall/winter/spring, and the summer is when this league is. If I were to shoot for trying for the NFL, all those "gateway" leagues are during the heavy surf travel months (fall/winter), which I am contractually obligated to do.

Agent51
05-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Yeah unfortunatly you cant teach Height, but Darren Sproles is about 5'7 and there is one guy that played WR for the texans last year that was 5'6, not sure how much playing time he got, but hell he was on the team

I wish I was faster and less vertically challenged....jumping wise I mean :lol:

Im not slow by any stretch, but im not the fastest WR in the world either, I jump better in games...but im still challenged in that aspect too, but Im okay with everything else, Work Ethic, Determination, and so on, Sometimes I sit in bed memorizing Jerry Rice stats and imagining my name in the record book instead of his 'Jerry is my favorite player all time'

I know about Sproles, I follwed him in college, he was pretty nasty. He's a Charger now. I mean it COULD be possible, as you don't need to be super tall for a RB, so I've got THAT going for me (it's about the ONLY position you'd don't HAVE to have some sort of height for), but like I just detailed above, height is not the ONLY factor

Alex44
05-16-2006, 01:20 AM
I know there are exceptions, like Zach and Barry and stuff, and I DO love the game to no end, and it WAS always my dream (like probably every kid) to play in the NFL, but IDK what happened, lol. I don't really have an excuse actually, I think I just kinda took that "too small" attitude and combined it with my abolute love for Hawai'i and the job I landed and used it as an excuse never to go to SDSU or try out for Hawai'i. The thing now is, I'd have to take alternate route should I ever decide to try, because since I play in an adult league that is considered "pro" since we get paid for the games we play ($75 if we lose, $200 if we win), that makes me inelidgeable due to NCAA regulations. I'd have to go Arena Ball or CFL, lol. IDK if I could ever leave HAWAI'I for CANADA.

Another thing that gets in the way is my surfing. I am under contract with my sponsors, so I HAVE to go on the surf trips and the bus tours and stuff. Not only does that complicate things from a schedule standpoint, but also from a physical standpoint. Like right now, I've been hardcore strength training and putting on muscle mass. My goal is 185/190-ish for playing wieght. When I'm NOT playing, I'm around 155/160-ish. My surfing training is MUCH different than football. Surfing is all about staying toned up and flexible. Football is all about power and bulking up. My surfng physique/training doesn't work for football (I'd get slaughtered and probably seriously injured) and my football one doesn't work for surfing (I'd lose flexiblity needed to surf at a high level). It kind of works now because in the summer I don't travel NEARLY as much as I do in the fall/winter/spring, and the summer is when this league is. If I were to shoot for trying for the NFL, all those "gateway" leagues are during the heavy surf travel months (fall/winter), which I am contractually obligated to do.

Jeremy Bloom :lol:

Except replace Skiing with Surfing

I decided im going for it.....Im not out of shape now but Im definitly not in shape to play a sport on a high level

One thing I have on my side is Ive always played against older people, in middle school we didnt have a team so I played for the city, well they dont go by age they go by Weight, and since Ive always been tall, Ive been playing with 16 year olds since I was 13, So 18+ at 16 or 17 shouldnt be to bad.....

I wish I knew how to increase speed though......

Alex44
05-16-2006, 01:23 AM
I know about Sproles, I follwed him in college, he was pretty nasty. He's a Charger now. I mean it COULD be possible, as you don't need to be super tall for a RB, so I've got THAT going for me (it's about the ONLY position you'd don't HAVE to have some sort of height for), but like I just detailed above, height is not the ONLY factor

Yeah Ive always cheered for the littler guys for some reason.

Its not the only position....you could be a kicker :lol: or a kick returner

Agent51
05-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Jeremy Bloom :lol:

Except replace Skiing with Surfing

I decided im going for it.....Im not out of shape now but Im definitly not in shape to play a sport on a high level

One thing I have on my side is Ive always played against older people, in middle school we didnt have a team so I played for the city, well they dont go by age they go by Weight, and since Ive always been tall, Ive been playing with 16 year olds since I was 13, So 18+ at 16 or 17 shouldnt be to bad.....

I wish I knew how to increase speed though......

In Jeremy's case though, he is a FAST WR, who has the height. Plus, you can be a big guy and ski (not that he needs to be big, muscle-wise), but it dosn't work well for sufing, trust me, during the season, and afterwards while I'm dropping wieght, my surfing definately suffers. We're talking adding 20-30lbs here, it's a huge difference. As a 5'8 RB I can't get by with being super skinny, lol, I'll get seriously hurt. As a WR, and a taller one, he can get away with not DRASTICALLY adding weight between skiing and football. Look how many skinny WRs are out there. Hell, Marvin Harrison looks like a Friggin SPIDER, lol.

As far as speed, use parachutes, those shoes that have that weird looking disc thing on the front, and weighted sleds. I used all of those, and they DEFINATELY helped, especially after I blew out my knee, those all helped me recover my speed and form.

Agent51
05-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Yeah Ive always cheered for the littler guys for some reason.

Its not the only position....you could be a kicker :lol: or a kick returner

I would NEVER be a kicker/punter. WHY IDK, since they get like 450K minimum, lol, but still, no. I have been a HB since my very first year of Pop-Warner, when I was 8 years old. I started plaing DB along with HB in 7th grade and played both all the way until my junior and senior years, wher coach wanted me to focus JUST on HB and keep me fresh. I'd find it too hard to give up the position I played all my life, lol.

Alex44
05-16-2006, 01:31 AM
In Jeremy's case though, he is a FAST WR, who has the height. Plus, you can be a big guy and ski (not that he needs to be big, muscle-wise), but it dosn't work well for sufing, trust me, during the season, and afterwards while I'm dropping wieght, my surfing definately suffers. We're talking adding 20-30lbs here, it's a huge difference. As a 5'8 RB I can't get by with being super skinny, lol, I'll get seriously hurt. As a WR, and a taller one, he can get away with not DRASTICALLY adding weight between skiing and football. Look how many skinny WRs are out there. Hell, Marvin Harrison looks like a Friggin SPIDER, lol.

As far as speed, use parachutes, those shoes that have that weird looking disc thing on the front, and weighted sleds. I used all of those, and they DEFINATELY helped, especially after I blew out my knee, those all helped me recover my speed and form.

Im watching the video on Youtube its an interview with Jerry Rice and I re-realized that is what I want to do.

I have ankle weights, I used those for a while and it really helped, or at least I think so, cant say for sure

No-one has ever said 'You cant catch a football well enough' or 'Your not big enough' or anything like that.....its always 'You dont run fast enough' or 'You dont jump high enough....'

Oh well time to proving them wrong......

Agent51
05-16-2006, 01:33 AM
Im watching the video on Youtube its an interview with Jerry Rice and I re-realized that is what I want to do.

I have ankle weights, I used those for a while and it really helped, or at least I think so, cant say for sure

No-one has ever said 'You cant catch a football well enough' or 'Your not big enough' or anything like that.....its always 'You dont run fast enough' or 'You dont jump high enough....'

Oh well time to proving them wrong......

Ankle weights work, but not like a parachute or a sled. Also, unless you have GOOD ones, they can be really annoying if they move around while you're running. I'm telling you man, speed chutes and wieghted sleds show you amazing results.

Alex44
05-16-2006, 01:35 AM
Ankle weights work, but not like a parachute or a sled. Also, unless you have GOOD ones, they can be really annoying if they move around while you're running. I'm telling you man, speed chutes and wieghted sleds show you amazing results.

Yes the damn ankle weights move up and down and kill your shins, how much do chutes and sleds usually cost?

Agent51
05-16-2006, 01:42 AM
Yes the damn ankle weights move up and down and kill your shins, how much do chutes and sleds usually cost?

Power Chute (Sm - $65, Med - $75, Lg - $80):
http://www.footballamerica.com/default.asp?file=shopexd&fext=asp&id=9437

Speed Sled ($140):
http://www.shapeupshop.com/fitness/running/speed_sled.htm

Those were just two quick searches, but if you shop around you can probably find them cheaper. I've had mine since I was in 10th grade, so I don't remember how much they were (parents bought them anyway), but you can always find deals online.

Alex44
05-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Thanks man

I think im gonna go now, thanks again

Dolfan984
05-16-2006, 01:46 AM
I want a parachute bad. I've already nearly increased my 40 time by .1 with just some added technique. A chute sounds awesome. I can't wait for next season when I'm even bigger stronger and faster :D

Agent51
05-16-2006, 01:58 AM
I like this thread, lol, to keep it going, what do you like to wear on the field, equipment-wise?

I prefer this facemask:
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
(sometimes I'll rock the one with the bullring)

I never used to wear a visor, but one time I took a BAD finger to the eye, and I have worn one ever since. I like to wear one that matches my uniform color, but if I can't find one, I'll wear black, and I always wear clear for night games.

I also wear a back plate extension on my shoulder pads

As far as accessories, I wear an armband on my right arm ONLY. I used to wear one on both arms, but in 11th grade a very close friend of mine died tragically, and the whole team wore a black armband with his number on it on their right arms for the rest of the season. Our colors in high school were blue and white, but it looked funny to have black on one arm and white or blue on the other, and black on both wouldn't be a tribute, so I just wore the one. Well, we didn't wear them for my senior year, but he was very close to me, so I had blue ones and white ones made with his number (5) on them, and wore one, still ONLY on my right arm, for my entire senior year. It's a habit I have never stopped. Each league I have played in since I have armbands embroidered with his # on them, one color to match the home jersey and one color to match the away jersey, and I only wear one on my right arm. Even when I make myself in NCAA or Madden I only have a band on my right arm.

I don't wear writebands at all, don't like how they feel when I'm carrying the ball.

I do wear gloves, always color-matched to my team colors.

I also now tape my ankles. I never did in high school, but then I took a year off in between high school and adult leagues and when I started up again my ankles would get REALLY sore after games, I could barely walk. The trainer said to try taping my ankles, I did, no soreness, so I've done it ever since.

PassRush
05-16-2006, 02:44 AM
I wish there was some kind of semi pro league arond here. I was scouted by alot of schools out of highschool as a linebacker/fullback/kicker. Half way through my senior year my knee decided to go out AGAIN, thus killing that dream. I am fat, out of shape and I smoke a pack a day but I would give anything to get back on the field and see what happens. I still lift, run and have alot of sex(hey, it burns calories, right?). I never thought I would miss those two-a-days.

Agent51
05-16-2006, 02:49 AM
I wish there was some kind of semi pro league arond here. I was scouted by alot of schools out of highschool as a linebacker/fullback/kicker. Half way through my senior year my knee decided to go out AGAIN, thus killing that dream. I am fat, out of shape and I smoke a pack a day but I would give anything to get back on the field and see what happens. I still lift, run and have alot of sex(hey, it burns calories, right?). I never thought I would miss those two-a-days.

There was actually a thing on the news about how a good session of sex is a better workout than 3 days of jogging or something like that. I use that news report to justify my womanizing :D

And yea, in high school I would have never imagined you could MISS double sessions! When I graduated and took the year off from football I kinda missed the getting up super early and the coacjes yelling and the freshman puking and just the smell of the pads and the grass and the crash of pads and the whistles and ALL of it, lol.

PassRush
05-16-2006, 03:05 AM
I like this thread, lol, to keep it going, what do you like to wear on the field, equipment-wise?

I prefer this facemask:
http://www.footballamerica.com/images/ROPO-DW.JPG
(sometimes I'll rock the one with the bullring)

I never used to wear a visor, but one time I took a BAD finger to the eye, and I have worn one ever since. I like to wear one that matches my uniform color, but if I can't find one, I'll wear black, and I always wear clear for night games.

I also wear a back plate extension on my shoulder pads

As far as accessories, I wear an armband on my right arm ONLY. I used to wear one on both arms, but in 11th grade a very close friend of mine died tragically, and the whole team wore a black armband with his number on it on their right arms for the rest of the season. Our colors in high school were blue and white, but it looked funny to have black on one arm and white or blue on the other, and black on both wouldn't be a tribute, so I just wore the one. Well, we didn't wear them for my senior year, but he was very close to me, so I had blue ones and white ones made with his number (5) on them, and wore one, still ONLY on my right arm, for my entire senior year. It's a habit I have never stopped. Each league I have played in since I have armbands embroidered with his # on them, one color to match the home jersey and one color to match the away jersey, and I only wear one on my right arm. Even when I make myself in NCAA or Madden I only have a band on my right arm.

I don't wear writebands at all, don't like how they feel when I'm carrying the ball.

I do wear gloves, always color-matched to my team colors.

I also now tape my ankles. I never did in high school, but then I took a year off in between high school and adult leagues and when I started up again my ankles would get REALLY sore after games, I could barely walk. The trainer said to try taping my ankles, I did, no soreness, so I've done it ever since.

Wierd, I have a similar story. I played weak side linebacker my junior year and always wore a clear visor. The Mike linebacker who pretty much taught me everything the coaches could not, was ruined in a car accident. The doctors told him that he could not play anymore because his legs were basicly crushed in the accident. Anyway, he always wore a dark visor, with the exception of him being 52 and me being 51 that was the only way to tell us apart. Since the accident I have worn the smoke visor; and where I taped either my wrist or shoe I wrote Mike Shepperd 52.

PassRush
05-16-2006, 03:11 AM

I dont know where you live but I had the same problem, I was just not fast enough. I ended up going to the speed camp at the University of Miami. I was hoping to cut my 40 from a 5.4 to a 4.9. Two weeks after the camp I was clocked at 4.74. If you are not in the area and cannot afford to make the trip, I would recomend looking into a similar camp

Dolfan984
05-16-2006, 04:20 AM
I got the revo helmet with Peyton Manning's face mask. I got a pair of small Quarterback/WR pads. Got two pairs of black long sleeve Under Armor I always wear during games. I don't tape my ankles, I guess I've just been lucky. I don't wear gloves either. I have big *** mits and I just like the feel of the leather better.

Basically http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

That's me playing WR.

banzaitrey
05-16-2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gifThis is my favorite facemask...I played safety in middle and my freshman year of highschool...we played a 4 line 4 line backers 2 corners and 1 safety...I quit because i was much better at soccer and decided if I was going to college it would be for soccer not football...I miss it a lot and I have the chance to join this year(11th) as the kicker...I am only 5'8-5'9 and weigh about 135 but i was pretty fast in 9th grade(4.59) and i never really worked out...I always messed around when i worked out and never really tried to get faster...what were some of yall's 40 times and what position you played?

GRAPEAPE
05-16-2006, 01:49 PM
http://www.footballamerica.com/images/egop-ii.JPGThis is my favorite facemask...I played safety in middle and my freshman year of highschool...we played a 4 line 4 line backers 2 corners and 1 safety...I quit because i was much better at soccer and decided if I was going to college it would be for soccer not football...I miss it a lot and I have the chance to join this year(11th) as the kicker...I am only 5'8-5'9 and weigh about 135 but i was pretty fast in 9th grade(4.59) and i never really worked out...I always messed around when i worked out and never really tried to get faster...what were some of yall's 40 times? 4.83

Agent51
05-16-2006, 03:35 PM
4.54, HB and DB (mostly S, some CB)

Alex44
05-16-2006, 03:38 PM
4.54, HB and DB (mostly S, some CB)

Thats pretty good, especially if your game speed is faster than that

Id say in best shape I run a 4.7 that was my fastest time......Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 so who's to say

Dolfan984
05-16-2006, 05:21 PM
I ran a 4.59 last time I was timed. I've improved over a half a thenth of a second over last year just changing my technique. Being 6'4" with a killer stride helps too. When anyone asks though I usually just tell them I run a true 4.6.

Here's the helmet and facemask I wear

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Agent51
05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
I ran a 4.59 last time I was timed. I've improved over a half a thenth of a second over last year just changing my technique. Being 6'4" with a killer stride helps too. When anyone asks though I usually just tell them I run a true 4.6.

Here's the helmet and facemask I wear

http://www.collegegear.com/sf/stores/product_images/116165-x.jpg

How are the Revos? I have never even put one one because I hate the way they look, cannot stand it, but do you think they are more comfortable or anything? I have a few teammates who say they are more comfortable, and others who say they feel no comfort difference, they just like the look better.

dolfan_101
05-17-2006, 12:06 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/394819422l0uz-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

prepairing 2 OWN WR 7-Deuce

Dolfan984
05-18-2006, 12:33 AM
How are the Revos? I have never even put one one because I hate the way they look, cannot stand it, but do you think they are more comfortable or anything? I have a few teammates who say they are more comfortable, and others who say they feel no comfort difference, they just like the look better.

Bro they rock. Light, comfortable, and I don't get that "bell rung" feeling after big collisions. Basically I have no fear crashing into linebackers and safeties even at my size :) Basically the helmet rocks.

Agent51
05-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Bro they rock. Light, comfortable, and I don't get that "bell rung" feeling after big collisions. Basically I have no fear crashing into linebackers and safeties even at my size :) Basically the helmet rocks.

Hmmm, I'll have to try one for one game or something. I just HATE the way they look, I think they look really dumb, lol.

PassRush
05-18-2006, 01:41 PM
4.64 as a Will linebacker. So, what is everybodys best football moment?

Agent51
05-18-2006, 02:25 PM

Off the field: Scholarship to D-1A college.

Also, while it doesn't relate to my career, it is KIND of a football moment. I was on a surf trip in Bali and there was this little kid OBSESSED with american football and our Miami Dolphins. I guess some tourist awhile back had given him a VHS of Dan Marino/Miami highlights and the kid became hooked. He had one of those t-shirt football jerseys of Dan Marino, and this old ratty football. My guide told me he LOVED the game, but has never seen it played outside of that tape, and none of the kids will play with him bevause they think its stupid. Well, when it was time for me to get onto the boat to go to the outer reefs and surf, I felt bad for the kid. I ended up giving him my lucky Dan Marino bean-bag bear. It was the aqua one that said "Dolphins" in the cursive font style on the front and had MARINO and 13 on the back, like a jersey. I had that thing FOREVER and always kept it in my board bag. It was not only a piece of home that I could turn to on LONG trips to strange, remote places, but it was just a "comfort" item. IDK, ahrd to explain, it was just ALWAYS there with my. I wouldn't like sleep with it and all that, I'd just chill in my boardbag, but I knew it was there. Anyway, so I was leaving, and I gave it to the kid, and I have NEVER seen someone's eyes get so big and light up so much! He was SO happy. Right at that moment it all hit me and I realized just how much I, and EVERYONE, take things for granted, because here I am, sometimes getting pissed at home over dumb things like a Dolphins game not being on TV, or my custom Authentic jersey is taking too long to come in the mail, but then this kid has NEVER seen ANY game his whole life, yet he WORSHIPS the sport, and I give him a little $12 bear and it is the greatest thing in the world for him. Did some real soul-searching the rest of that trip, changed my outlook on a lot of things.

On the Field: Playing S and hitting a WR making a leaping catch across the middle so hard that it knocked BOTH of us out, THAT was AWESOME, lol.

Making a game-saving INT in the endzone with 11 seconds left on the clock, causing us to win by 3 points.

Ripping off a 93-yard TD run in the 3rd quarter of quarter-finals game and thus WINNING the game 6-0 (the damn kicker MISSED the XPA!).

Scoring 7 TDs (total, 6 rushing, 1 reception) and 306 rushing yards/62 receiving yards in one game, plus having an INT and a sack both from the Strong Safety position.

Breaking two fingers going after a fumble (QB got NAILED on a blitz), RECOVERING the fumble, then catching a 13-yard TD pass on a HB screen 2 plays later (took one play off to get em taped together).

Being takled while throwing a stiff-arm, so the kid's facemask SLAMMED into the ground with me landing on top of him, giving him a bloody nose and having him get up SUPER pissed, get in my face, call me a "F-word cracker", to which I replied "Oooo, a CRACKER, what does that mean, I taste good with soup?" which cracked up all of the players around us, both my teammates and his, then seeing the rage in his eye and having him come on a CB blitz the next play and my fullback throw a WICKED block on him (I went the opposite way on a pass route) then have the kid slow to get up, then the very next play I run a swep to the right (his side) and he comes at me with that look like he's going to try and hurt me, so I lowered my shoulder and just UNLOADED on him. I went down too, due to the momentum and him getting tangled up in my legs, but I got right back up and he was laying there, and he was CRYING, and he went over the to the bench crying :sidelol:.

Throwing a 32-yard pass on a HB option, during the homecoming game, which put us in FG range, which the kicker made, and we won the game 13-10.

I can think of plenty more great times, but it's too hard to pick ONE to be my favorite, or "best". If I absolutely HAD to, I'd say the 7 TD/368 yard game, just because it broke a few school records.

PassRush
05-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Nice story, thats cool what you did for that kid; and dont you just love putting a hurting on those crap talkers.

One time when I was playing in a JV game freshmen year. Third and long with about three minutes left in the game, we were down by three. They were trying to run out the clock. On the thrid down play there must have been some HUGE missed assignment on me, bacause I shot through the line and literaly took the handoff from the quarterback. I bulled over the half back and kept running. There was a safety who was blocking for me and eventualy a player caught up to me, wrapped me up around the legs and another player hit me on the way down. I fumbled, but everyone thought I intentionaly latteraled to the safety, who took it untouched for a touchdown.

Another time, my senior year at our homecoming game we were playing Atlantic, our biggest rival. I was playing my real position, Will linebacker in a cover two scheem. I was covering the flats, awaiting a halfback that never came. Usualy I was pretty smart and followed plays, but it looked too easy. The quarterback rolled to my side, then looked away to the other side of the field; I shot out of my zone, which may have been the fastest five yards I have ever ran. I put my shoulder pad right into the side of his helmet and forced a fumble. We ended up recovering the fumble and the quarterback ended up suffering a mild concussion.

We still lost 41-13 but, it was the best game I ever played, eleven solo tackles, two forced fumbles, one sack

Alex44
05-18-2006, 03:20 PM

I consider my best moment the time I dropped a ball......let me explain

Going into half time we were getting killed, we decide to just thrown one up to the endzone, Im wide open, but the QB lofts the ball so high in the air by the time its near me there are two defenders around me, One in front and one on the side running full speed at me, all thats going through my mind is 'Mossed' 'Im gonna reach over this poor kids head and make this catch' I couldnt see the guy on the side at all, balls coming down, I jump, reach over the kids body, the second my hands touch it.....BOOM I get swiped from the side, ball pops out of my hands, I mean I got NAILED and I didnt even know it was coming, I still think I got hit before I touched the ball, but the coach said it was so simultanious you really couldnt tell.....why is that good you ask?

Thats the first time I remember failing to make a play.....terrible feeling, I went back to the sideline apologizing to everyone, My coach, My teammates, My QB, and I told myself I wasnt dropping one ever again. Coach said there was almost no way humanly possible I could catch that.....but I had my hands on it....

That just always sticks out as my one defining moment

Alex44
05-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Nice story, thats cool what you did for that kid; and dont you just love putting a hurting on those crap talkers.

One time when I was playing in a JV game freshmen year. Third and long with about three minutes left in the game, we were down by three. They were trying to run out the clock. On the thrid down play there must have been some HUGE missed assignment on me, bacause I shot through the line and literaly took the handoff from the quarterback. I bulled over the half back and kept running. There was a safety who was blocking for me and eventualy a player caught up to me, wrapped me up around the legs and another player hit me on the way down. I fumbled, but everyone thought I intentionaly latteraled to the safety, who took it untouched for a touchdown.

Another time, my senior year at our homecoming game we were playing Atlantic, our biggest rival. I was playing my real position, Will linebacker in a cover two scheem. I was covering the flats, awaiting a halfback that never came. Usualy I was pretty smart and followed plays, but it looked too easy. The quarterback rolled to my side, then looked away to the other side of the field; I shot out of my zone, which may have been the fastest five yards I have ever ran. I put my shoulder pad right into the side of his helmet and forced a fumble. We ended up recovering the fumble and the quarterback ended up suffering a mild concussion.

We still lost 41-13 but, it was the best game I ever played, eleven solo tackles, two forced fumbles, one sack

shhhh you lateralled it :lol: :tongue:

Most tackles I ever had was 8 but I usually played Corner or Safety

Agent51
05-18-2006, 04:28 PM

One time the team we were playing was out of time outs and trying for a comeback. They were down 5 and they had just completed a nice pass for a 1st down. They ran up to the line, went to spike the ball, but my friend Ryan, a DT, dove forward unblocked and INTed (I guess that's what it would be considered, and that's what he was credited with by the stat guys) the ball! It was CRAZY, he just literally dove across the ground and had his hands out and caught the SPIKE. That was it man, we ran two more running plays (I gained 17yds on the two) because they had one more time out, and there was still too much time to just take a knee. We won the game on pssibly the coolest thing I have ever seen in ANY football, pop-warner to NFL.

Alex44
05-18-2006, 04:33 PM
One time the team we were playing was out of time outs and trying for a comeback. They were down 5 and they had just completed a nice pass for a 1st down. They ran up to the line, went to spike the ball, but my friend Ryan, a DT, dove forward unblocked and INTed (I guess that's what it would be considered, and that's what he was credited with by the stat guys) the ball! It was CRAZY, he just literally dove across the ground and had his hands out and caught the SPIKE. That was it man, we ran two more running plays (I gained 17yds on the two) because they had one more time out, and there was still too much time to just take a knee. We won the game on pssibly the coolest thing I have ever seen in ANY football, pop-warner to NFL.

I dont know how but I did that once in madden, I was in goaline defense, and I timed it perfect with the safety and dove to the floor, I havent been able to do it again since, its a once in a madden lifetime thing

Reminds me of a story

During the offseason I played flag football, last drive of the game, we are up by 4 points, they are driving, I blitz in, im right in front of the QB he decides to try and just throw it up to his WR, Im about 5 inches taller than the QB :lol: so instead of getting over me by throwing off his back foot he steps into the throw, I put my hand in front of it, it tips into my chest and I get the INT, we just run a few plays and run out the clock

PassRush
05-18-2006, 04:35 PM

I tried that once, ended up dislocating my shoulder:lol: Since then I never thought it could be done.

Dolfan984
05-18-2006, 04:39 PM
My favorite moment personally was throwing and running for a TD as a QB playing De La friggen Salle (we lost 42-21 but we still put 21 on one of the best teams in the nation)

Recently? I had 140ish yards receiving in a game last year including a 62 yard TD. A couple weeks ago I got thrown into the game as a QB (I'm the starting split out, and backup QB) against the undefeated team in our league. In two drives our team got a TD, and got all the way to the 1 yard line on a bootleg I took from the 10 and got nailed out of bounds with like 4 seconds left. We try to run it right up the middle, get stuffed, and the time runs out right as I'm spiking the ball :( Still good times though :)

Agent51
05-18-2006, 05:36 PM
I tried that once, ended up dislocating my shoulder:lol: Since then I never thought it could be done.

I've disclocated my shoulder TWICE (never in football, both times on bad surfing wipeouts), that **** K-I-L-L-S!!!! The worst part though? Having it popped back in :eek:, man, I was not a happy camper, lol.