PDA

View Full Version : The upfronts: ABC

Jimmy James
05-16-2006, 01:06 PM
This is the second in a series of five. You can find the NBC article here (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=142175).

ABC's 2006-2007 schedule:

Monday
8:00 p.m. Wife Swap
9:00 p.m. The Bachelor
10:00 p.m. What About Brian

Tuesday
8:00 p.m. Dancing With the Stars (new day)
9:00 p.m. Let's Rob (NEW SERIES)
9:30 p.m. Help Me Help You (NEW SERIES)
10:00 p.m. Boston Legal

Wednesday
8:00 p.m. Dancing With the Stars (new day)
9:00 p.m. LOST
10:00 p.m. The Nine (NEW SERIES)

Thursday
8:00 p.m. Big Day (NEW SERIES)
8:30 p.m. Notes From The Underbelly (NEW SERIES)
9:00 p.m. Grey's Anatomy (new day and time)
10:00 p.m. Six Degrees (NEW SERIES)

Friday
8:00 p.m. Betty The Ugly (NEW SERIES)
9:00 p.m. Men In Trees (NEW SERIES)
10:00 p.m. 20/20

Saturday
8:00 p.m. ABC Saturday Night College Football (NEW SERIES)

Sunday
7:00 p.m. America's Funniest Home Videos
8:00 p.m. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
9:00 p.m. Desperate Housewives
10:00 p.m. Brothers & Sisters (NEW SERIES)

Before talking about the new shows, let's talk about what won't be back:

Emily's Reasons Why Not
Hope & Faith
Hot Properties
Invasion
Alias
Freddie
Sons & Daughters
The Night Stalker
Primetime Live
Less Than Perfect
Rodney
Commander In Chief
In Justice
The Evidence
Miracle Workers

I can't complain about the loss of any of those shows. I cheer the cancellation of Sons & Daughters.

ABC renewed several shows for midseason, including George Lopez, According to Jim, American Inventor, and Supernanny.

ABC's new midseason shows include Set for the Rest of Your Life, Day Break, In Case of Emergency, Traveler, Just for Laughs, and Greg Behrendt's Wake Up Call.

Let's get into the new shows:

Betty the Ugly: This is a rare hour long comedy, apparently. It's about a normal looking woman who has problems fitting in when she becomes part of the high fashion world. This looks like a quick cancellation based on its Friday night timeslot. It stars nobody I have heard of.

Big Day: Each show will focus on a different character's perspective on a couple's wedding day. Marla Sokoloff (from The Practice) and Wendy Malick (from Just Shoot Me) are the headliners. I don't see how this show can possibly last based on that premise even if it manages to attract an audience on Thursdays at 8.

Brothers & Sisters: This show comes from Marti Noxon (producer of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and creator of many failed pilots). A family comes together for a birthday party, and a soap opera breaks out. Calista Flockhart (from Ally McBeal), Ron Rifkin (from Alias), and Rachel Griffiths (from Six Feet Under) star. This show will get the benefit of the timeslot Grey's Anatomy is giving up. If people continue to watch Desperate Housewives next season, this show will at least benefit from a strong lead-in.

Help Me Help You: This show is about group therapy dispensed by a crazy man. Isn't it a bit late to try to ride the coattails of Anger Management? Ted Danson stars with Jane Kaczmarek (from Malcolm in the Middle) also cast. This show's Tuesday at 9:30 time slot won't do it any favors.

Let's Rob...: This show serves as the lead-in for Ted Danson's show above. This show is about a criminal conspiracy to rob Mick Jagger. Donal Logue (from Grounded for Life) leads the cast. It actually sounds just crazy enough to get me to check it out.

Men In Trees: This sounds like Help Me Help You in Alaska. It's about a woman who is a relationship coach whose own relationship falls apart. Ironic, huh? Anne Heche, Abraham Benrubi (from ER), and John Amos (from Good Times) have been cast. Like Betty the Ugly, this show is doomed to air its few episodes on Friday.

The Nine: People are held hostage in a bank when a robbery goes bad. A "twist of faith" happens. Chi McBride (from Boston Public), Scott Wolf (from Party of Five), and Tim Daly (from Eyes and Wings) star. This show benefits from the LOST lead in, though that didn't do Invasion any favors this season. I'll likely check it out based on the strength of the cast.

Notes from the Underbelly: Preparing to have a baby changes the lives of expectant parents. Duh. I haven't heard of any of the people attached, but Barry Sonnenfeld's name is attached to the credits as a producer. This show doesn't suffer from the unnecessarily limiting concept that its lead in Big Day does, but its potential to draw an audience on Thursdays at 8:30 is similarly limited.

Six Degrees: Six strangers in New York keep popping up in each other's lives. Think of it as a show just about the LOST flashbacks. Exciting, huh? Erika Christensen (from the movie Traffic) is the only name I recognize other than JJ Abrams credited as producer. With all he has his fingers in, there is about zero chance he has even seen the pilot he supposedly produced here. I think he gets so many credits because he has stolen Walt Disney's frozen head or something. It's the best way to get your show greenlit on ABC no matter what it is. Six Degrees will lead out of Grey's Anatomy, which is now on Thursday nights (more on that below).

Day Break: This is the first of the midseason shows. A cop gets mixed up in a bunch of murders. He tries to clear himself of suspicion in some and prevent others. Taye Diggs stars, but the big name here in my book is Adam Baldwin (from Firefly).

In Case of Emergency: Four high school friends get together. Hilarity ensues. Jonathan Silverman (from The Single Guy), David Arquette (from Courtney Cox), and Lori Loughlin (from Full House) star. Jon Favreau gets himself a producer credit on this show. Maybe that will be enough to get it a look. It comes along at midseason.

Traveler: Two friends call the wrong people and attact the suspicion of the NSA. Steven Culp (the only tolerable thing about Desperate Housewives) is the biggest name attached. This also comes along at midseason.

I don't preview reality TV crap, so that's it.

This is a terrible upfront if you ask me. If any network comes up with a weaker slate of shows than this one, I'll be shocked. I say that knowing that the CW's development season is said to have been disasterous. The rumors indicate that they're going to at least have the good sense to cut their losses unlike ABC.

The big move of the upfronts is the move of Grey's Anatomy to Thursdays at 9. I think ABC even blew that. Why try to be second fiddle to CSI at 9 when they could have positioned the show to be the top Thursday at 10 show? ABC would tell you it is because putting one good show on at 9 brings in viewers at 8 and 10. I say bull. If that actually worked, ABC would have had a hit in Invasion because it aired out of LOST. Somebody needs to inform the executives at ABC that there are these devices known as remote controls that most of its audience has. It is truly pathetic how badly ABC is blowing the set of four big shows they got out of nowhere two seasons ago (LOST, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Dancing with the Stars). It's almost like they don't want to be more than a mediocre network.

Motion
05-16-2006, 01:29 PM
I heart LOST :D

Best Show out there.

dolphan117
05-16-2006, 02:32 PM
They are actually renewing American Inventors? Thanks for the writeup JJ.

Rocky Raccoon
05-16-2006, 02:48 PM
hey JJ...when does FOX announce their schedule? That's the best channel right there.

Motion
05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
hey JJ...when does FOX announce their schedule? That's the best channel right there.

Yeah, I wanna know when Prison Break and 24 start back up again.

Rocky Raccoon
05-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I wanna know when Prison Break and 24 start back up again.

and House :yes:

ChrisKo
05-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Scrubs was picked up again, thankfully. But they are screwing them again by having a mid-season start. Scrubs really is the little red-haired step child and that's a shame, because it's such a great show.

Jimmy James
05-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Scrubs was picked up again, thankfully. But they are screwing them again by having a mid-season start. Scrubs really is the little red-haired step child and that's a shame, because it's such a great show.

This might make more sense under the NBC write-up. ;)

Jimmy James
05-16-2006, 03:35 PM

CBS is tomorrow.

Fox and the CW are Thursday.

Jt0323
05-16-2006, 03:36 PM
and House :yes:
is today the season finale?

Jt0323
05-16-2006, 03:37 PM
CBS is tomorrow.

Im just glad CBS brought back KOQ! Even if its only for 13 episodes

Rocky Raccoon
05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
is today the season finale?

next Tuesday

Gonzo
05-16-2006, 03:59 PM
I hate GA just for making me deal with a bawling girlfriend last night. And now they schedule it during CSI, one of the few shows I like? Luckily I don't have to share a TV, yet.

Jt0323
05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
I hate GA just for making me deal with a bawling girlfriend last night. And now they schedule it during CSI, one of the few shows I like? Luckily I don't have to share a TV, yet.
:lol: i hate that show too...

Rocky Raccoon
05-16-2006, 04:03 PM
CBS is tomorrow.

I stared at this post for 10 minutes trying to figure out what CW stands for...and failed miserably :boohoo:

Jt0323
05-16-2006, 04:06 PM
out of all these shows the bolded ones are the ones i think should of got a second chance...

Emily's Reasons Why Not
Hope & Faith
Hot Properties
Invasion
Alias
Freddie
Sons & Daughters
The Night Stalker
Primetime Live
Less Than Perfect
Rodney
Commander In Chief
In Justice
The Evidence
Miracle Workers

I never watched it but i know she (the star of the show) won an award... i think they should of gave it another chance despite the ratings...Also Alias should of stayed...like Commander in chief i never watched it but i heard it was good and alot of people love the show... everything else were not really that good...

Gonzo
05-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I stared at this post for 10 minutes trying to figure out what CW stands for...and failed miserably :boohoo:
UPN and WB merged into one giant dancing mess of poo.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/icon_poo-1.gif + http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/icon_poo-1.gif = http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/poop-1.gif

Jimmy James
05-16-2006, 04:08 PM
CW isn't a pile of poo. In fact, they might air as many as 5 shows I watch weekly if they keep everything (Gilmore Girls, Everwood, Smallville, Veronica Mars, and Everybody Hates Chris).

Motion
Really? When did that happen? What does CW stand for?

Rocky Raccoon
out of all these shows the bolded ones are the ones i think should of got a second chance...

Emily's Reasons Why Not
Hope & Faith
Hot Properties
Invasion
Alias
Freddie
Sons & Daughters
The Night Stalker
Primetime Live
Less Than Perfect
Rodney
Commander In Chief
In Justice
The Evidence
Miracle Workers

I never watched it but i know she (the star of the show) won an award... i think they should of gave it another chance despite the ratings...Also Alias should of stayed...like Commander in chief i never watched it but i heard it was good and alot of people love the show... everything else were not really that good...

I think Alias just ran it's course though. I think the producers ended it as they wanted to. I don't think it got cancelled.

Jt0323
UPN and WB merged into one giant dancing mess of poo.

http://www.helixogs.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_poo.gif + http://www.helixogs.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_poo.gif = http://www.buffalorange.com/images/smilies/poop.gif
:lol: yep...UPN got rid of the PN and WB got rid of the B and the U fell and turned to a c and now we got the CW...also 7th Heaven got picked up for another season:rolleyes:

Motion
05-16-2006, 04:09 PM
CW isn't a pile of poo. In fact, they might air as many as 5 shows I watch weekly if they keep everything (Gilmore Girls, Everwood, Smallville, Veronica Mars, and Everybody Hates Chris).

:confused:

Jimmy James
Really? When did that happen? What does CW stand for?

Back in the winter some time.

CW stands for CBS (parent of UPN) plus Warner Brothers (parent of the WB)

Rocky Raccoon
:lol: yep...UPN got rid of the PN and WB got rid of the B and the U fell and turned to a c and now we got the CW...also 7th Heaven got picked up for another season:rolleyes:

I thought they just had their series finale last week, no?

Jimmy James
05-16-2006, 04:10 PM
:confused:

What's confusing about well written drama?

Smallville is the most embarrassing show on that list, but it's well worth it for the chicks, man.

Motion
05-16-2006, 04:13 PM
What's confusing about well written drama?

Smallville is the most embarrassing show on that list, but it's well worth it for the chicks, man.

Thats cool, just alittle surprising. Smallville's not to bad, good idea.

Gonzo
05-16-2006, 04:16 PM

Of course it's all opinion, but that list just proved my point :lol: . A giant steaming dancing pile.

Jimmy James
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
So, Gonzo, what do you watch? Procedurals? I'm interested in the competing opinion.

Gonzo
05-16-2006, 04:46 PM
So, Gonzo, what do you watch? Procedurals? I'm interested in the competing opinion.

Funny that you mention it. That's pretty much all I watch. Especially those pertaining to civil code and, of course, small business. I also tape Canadian Parliament on C-Span.

ChrisKo
05-16-2006, 04:47 PM
This might make more sense under the NBC write-up. ;)

My bad, I must have missed your NBC writeup, I only saw your link to a Bengals site with the write up. I didn't want to post there, so I just hit reply :tongue:

Jimmy James
05-16-2006, 04:47 PM
What procedurals pertain to civil code and small business?

Jimmy James
05-16-2006, 04:49 PM
My bad, I must have missed your NBC writeup, I only saw your link to a Bengals site with the write up. I didn't want to post there, so I just hit reply :tongue:

Oh, whoops. I'll fix that link to link to the FH version. I'm not sure why I have started writing them up over there. I'm posting them in essentially the same form on my LJ, my Myspace blog, here, Cincybengals.com, Raiderfans.net, and the House of Evyl. It's interesting to see the difference in response in each place.

Gonzo
05-16-2006, 04:56 PM
What procedurals pertain to civil code and small business?

I guess it depends on the jurisdiction, no? Either way, no doubt they are still more entertaining than any CW show. Actually, counting the ceiling boogers in my room is more entertaining. I suppose it would be different if I were a 14 year old girl.

Jimmy James
05-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Oh, yes, by all means, I'm a 14 year old girl. At least I can answer a direct question and didn't get Munsoned last night. :D

Gonzo
05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Oh, yes, by all means, I'm a 14 year old girl. At least I can answer a direct question and didn't get Munsoned last night. :D

Twisting my words. Never said you were a 14 year old girl. :wink: You mean didn't mo%uche9o8uc3n9uvlnen? And which one was the direct question? The one pertaining to procedurals?

And I like CSI, 24, The Office, City Confidential (because the guy's one liners are hilarious), Big Love, Law and Order, and a few others when I actually get the chance to watch tv.

Motion
05-17-2006, 01:57 PM

Bad news Jimmy

It's Official: Veronica Mars Renewed, Everwood Dead
Straight from the horse's mouth, Rob Thomas just e-mailed me to confirm that Veronica Mars has been renewed for a third season. The show got a 22-episode order that, depending on ratings, can be reduced to 13. Very reliable sources, meanwhile, are also telling me that One Tree Hill will be back and that Everwood is, in fact, dead. Talk about injustice.

From TVGuide.com

Jimmy James
05-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Twisting my words. Never said you were a 14 year old girl. :wink: You mean didn't mo he9o8uc3n9uvlnen? And which one was the direct question? The one pertaining to procedurals?

And I like CSI, 24, The Office, City Confidential (because the guy's one liners are hilarious), Big Love, Law and Order, and a few others when I actually get the chance to watch tv.

It's nice to see there are some things we can agree on (like The Office).

If I were a 75 year old man, perhaps we'd agree on more. :tongue:

Jimmy James
05-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Bad news Jimmy

From TVGuide.com

Yep. It sucks.

Baxter
05-17-2006, 03:06 PM
I liked Rodney I am kinda sad it wont be back...I should have actually watched more than 3 times:rolleyes: