PDA

View Full Version : surreal

Samphin
05-16-2006, 06:04 PM
I was in a sales meeting today. Nothing too exciting. Then it happened. I heard this horrible sound come from one of my co-workers. I looked over and saw his face was beat red. He immediately fell to the floor and turned a deep blue. He had a seizure.

Fortunately, we were able to get him breathing again and the ambulance came and got him to the hospital. By that time he had come out of it and was completely absent on what had happened.

I don't know if anyone else has ever seen that, but I will never forget that sound and that image. I really thought he was gone. :( We are both outside salesmen and cover big territories. Meaning, had this happened yesterday, or tomorrow, he would have been on his own and surely died. It happened today when all of us were around. Just surreal.

I have seen a friend of mine die in front of me before an dit didn't affect me like this. Perhaps it had to due with the fact that my co-worker wasn't doing anything extreme at the time (as opposed to my friend). He was merely sitting there enjoying the company of his co-workers/friends on a sunny Tuesday afternoon.

This one is going to screw with my head for awhile...

HysterikiLL
05-16-2006, 06:15 PM
:eek:

A kid in my class had a seizure in high school once. It was pretty scary. The principal was in class giving us a lecture and we all just heard a bang at the back of the room. He was on the floor bouncing around. Pretty scary.

I know what you mean about it being really etched in your mind because everything was just so normal until it happened. Pretty scary stuff.

Agent51
05-16-2006, 06:19 PM
I was in a sales meeting today. Nothing too exciting. Then it happened. I heard this horrible sound come from one of my co-workers. I looked over and saw his face was beat red. He immediately fell to the floor and turned a deep blue. He had a seizure.

Fortunately, we were able to get him breathing again and the ambulance came and got him to the hospital. By that time he had come out of it and was completely absent on what had happened.

I don't know if anyone else has ever seen that, but I will never forget that sound and that image. I really thought he was gone. :( We are both outside salesmen and cover big territories. Meaning, had this happened yesterday, or tomorrow, he would have been on his own and surely died. It happened today when all of us were around. Just surreal.

I have seen a friend of mine die in front of me before an dit didn't affect me like this. Perhaps it had to due with the fact that my co-worker wasn't doing anything extreme at the time (as opposed to my friend). He was merely sitting there enjoying the company of his co-workers/friends on a sunny Tuesday afternoon.

Wow man, sorry you had to see that. I've had a couple similar experiences. Once, when I was flying to Florida from Rhode Island, the plane had to make an emergency landing because this guy was having a seizure on the plane. He was 3 rows up and on the other side of the plane from me, so I saw everything clear as day. I was 14 at the time, and it was the first time I have ever seen anything like that. When he landed we had to emergency exit out the back and go across the tarmac into this back staircase and up to the terminal. I still remember the body language of the guy, but I didn't hear the sound you described as the air in the cabin, along with the mechanical plane sounds, drown it out, for me anyway.

Another time I was surfing in Tahiti. It was a big day and this guy went down, and stayed down for like 3 waves. When they got him and moved him from the rescue jetski to the boat, he was shaking and then started puking up this white/very very light lime greenish foam. He was also making this horrible gurgling sound, which I have never forgotten.

Those two have always stuck with me, although they haven't really been traumatic for me, in ways that other things have anyway. I too have seen friends die, and that has hit home a lot more with me because they were so close and because it could have been been in ALL of the cases (most pertain to surfing). However, I know the feeling you are describing, where you see something really bad and can't shake the feeling. If you need to talk about it or anything, feel free to PM me.

Samphin
05-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Like I said, when my friend passed away, he was training to be a pro wrestler. I was a wrestler at the time and with that line of work, comes an assumed risk. It sucked and was very depressing (part of the reason I left that profession), but it didn't compare to what I saw today. I guess it dawns on you when you see something like that just how easy it can go away. I mean we were literally sitting there joking about our jobs when this happened. Nothing out of the oridnary, fairly mundane stuff.

He wasn't really shaking. He got real tense and rigid and just dropped...then he turned blue. Dark blue. Myself and some other co-workers thought he was gone, I really did. Thankfully, as I said, it happened today when people were around and not tomorrow when he would have been alone.

I guess it really just makes you think more than anything...

The Rev
05-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Wow, brother. I'm sorry you had to see that. At least we can be thankful that this happened when people were around and were able to save him.

I truly believe everything happens for a reason. Maybe this reason was to call attention to our brothers and sisters who suffer seizures or to know just how valuable and fragile our lives can be.

The school where I teach lost a third grader this year from a hemorrage in the brain. He suffered seizures and I was blessed to have helped him on two occasions when I found him in the midst of a seizure. Scary stuff, nonetheless.

Stay strong my brother. :wink:

dQbell
05-16-2006, 09:38 PM
I hear you man. Sometimes things like that happen and just stick with us for a while. It is VERY sobering. It's tough to witness that stuff and not be hit hard by the trauma of it.

FinsNCanes
05-16-2006, 09:59 PM

:lol:

Try having one. I have a light cause of motor seizures. I take medicine that controls it though.

Samphin
05-16-2006, 10:20 PM
:lol:

Try having one. I have a light cause of motor seizures. I take medicine that controls it though.

After seeing what I saw today, I feel bad for anyone who has/ or will go through that. It did not look like anything less than excruciating. From what I have gathered, it seemed to be a Grand Mal Seizure? Does that ring a bell with any of the resident doctors?

d-day
05-16-2006, 11:24 PM
when i was younger, i dreamed of being a stuntman - after school in the parking lot one day when i was 16, i got on top of my friends toyota and planned a jump into the bed of my other friends pick-up which was riding along beside us - not sure how fast we were going when i made the leap but they tell me i missed the bed completely, not even close :lol: i cracked my head open on the concrete and proceeded to have a seizure - end result: went in traction, fitted with a halo for a broken neck, and was ultimately strapped to the hospital bed for a week after i pulled the halo out of my head when i first regained consciousness

GreenMonster
05-16-2006, 11:30 PM
when i was younger, i dreamed of being a stuntman - after school in the parking lot one day when i was 16, i got on top of my friends toyota and planned a jump into the bed of my other friends pick-up which was riding along beside us - not sure how fast we were going when i made the leap but they tell me i missed the bed completely, not even close :lol: i cracked my head open on the concrete and proceeded to have a seizure - end result: went in traction, fitted with a halo for a broken neck, and was ultimately strapped to the hospital bed for a week after i pulled the halo out of my head when i first regained consciousness

That stuntman career ended pretty quickly.. Ouch..

dominizzo
05-16-2006, 11:30 PM
I hope he will be okay

Samphin
05-17-2006, 01:01 AM

:eek:

Amars
05-17-2006, 02:24 AM
in a way he's lucky you guys were around.

Amars
05-17-2006, 02:25 AM

Holy crap.

The Rev
05-17-2006, 05:26 AM

I'd like to say tis surprises me but it doesen't. :lol:

Motion
05-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Witnessing a seizure is definitely a unique experience. About 8 years ago I was sitting around with a few friends just talking when my friend's girlfriend starts freaking out. Her head was cocked to the side like she was looking at something on her shoulder, I figured there was a bug or something on her shoulder. Nope, she was having a seizure, my friend helped her out of the chair and laid her on the floor and she was stiff as a board. They had to rush her to the hospital, thankfully she was okay. Although she has to take medication for it to this day.

dolphinkev
05-17-2006, 01:54 PM
i was playing basketball at the playground when i was 17 some older guy around 40 was running down the court shot the ball, fell down and died on the spot. they tried for 20 minutes while waiting on the ambulance to revive him it didn't happen. later on the ambulance driver came back and said he died on the spot there was nothing we could have done.

i didn't go back to that court for over 2 month after that it was so surreal.

King Felix
05-18-2006, 02:01 AM
i saw my gpa have a seizure :frown: