PDA

View Full Version : Muck I have a question for you

Dajesus
03-22-2003, 03:39 AM
You work at a comp shop, so maybe you have heard some gossip, or maybe someone else knows. Best Buy stopped carrying all HP and Compaqs as of 3/20. Well they stopped carrying the model we currently have. So i am curious if HP is comming out with a new line or what is up with them. We can't just stop carrying HP because they are half of our total comps, and our biggest seller. I looked on the web, and have found no news of a new line, or anything else so I am very curious.

Fresh
03-22-2003, 04:10 AM
I hate this HP Pavilion MX70..

Are those new Dells any good? The black ones?

:confused:

Muck
03-23-2003, 02:04 AM
Honestly, I don't know man. I really don't keep up with HP, Dell, etc too much.

I didn't know BB stopped carrying HP/Compaq. That's big news. I remember hearing that the new merged company wasn't doing so well. I really haven't followed it much. Somebody had to piss somebody off pretty bad for this to happen. That or BB doesn't see Compaq/HP having a bright future financially (too risky to do business with them).

Also Ownz......I got an mx70 MONITOR that I really love. Don't know nothing about the comp it came from. But the monitor is great. The black/grey goes nicely with my main (window) case. :)

dolfan06
03-23-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

:confused: i have an HP pavillion myself, i hated it until i started having it rebuilt. it was rebuilt by some guy at the college where my wife works, now its ok!;)

Dajesus
03-23-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Muck
Honestly, I don't know man. I really don't keep up with HP, Dell, etc too much.

I didn't know BB stopped carrying HP/Compaq. That's big news. I remember hearing that the new merged company wasn't doing so well. I really haven't followed it much. Somebody had to piss somebody off pretty bad for this to happen. That or BB doesn't see Compaq/HP having a bright future financially (too risky to do business with them).

Also Ownz......I got an mx70 MONITOR that I really love. Don't know nothing about the comp it came from. But the monitor is great. The black/grey goes nicely with my main (window) case. :)

BB is going to keep carrying the 2, but there must be a new line comming out from the 2. The thing is can't find any info on it. The AMD compaqs by far are the fattest sellign desktops in the store,

Muck
03-23-2003, 02:19 AM
I had a Pavillion where I used to work a few years back (just as I was getting into computers). Two weeks after we bought it, the modem died.....which meant the sound didn't work either (2-in-1 card). Of course, we had to send it to Dallas to be repaired, since cracking open the case voided the warranty. So I was without a comp for 2 weeks.

The day we get the comp back, it doesn't boot. After being on the phone with tech support (I was still a newbie), we concluded that the hard drive was completely dead. And that meant shipping the entire system right back to Dallas to be worked on again.

That pretty much soured me on HP. I'm not too crazy about everything being onboard and integrated. Having AOL on it didn't help either. lol.

dolfan06
03-23-2003, 03:04 AM
I had a Pavillion where I used to work a few years back (just as I was getting into computers). Two weeks after we bought it, the modem died.....which meant the sound didn't work either (2-in-1 card). Of course, we had to send it to Dallas to be repaired, since cracking open the case voided the warranty. So I was without a comp for 2 weeks.

The day we get the comp back, it doesn't boot. After being on the phone with tech support (I was still a newbie), we concluded that the hard drive was completely dead. And that meant shipping the entire system right back to Dallas to be worked on again.

That pretty much soured me on HP. I'm not too crazy about everything being onboard and integrated. Having AOL on it didn't help either. lol. :( i have a rebuilt HP and AOL!:rolleyes:

Marino1983
03-23-2003, 06:31 AM

I have bought 3 HP Pavillion's (uprades) and have NEVER had a single problem with ANY of them !!!!!:D Marino1983

Fresh
03-23-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Marino1983
I have bought 3 HP Pavillion's (uprades) and have NEVER had a single problem with ANY of them !!!!!:D Marino1983

I think it's all these Tyra pics I have on here.. ;)

Muck
03-23-2003, 09:34 AM
If I were in the market for a pre-built system, I'd go with Alienware. They build very nice high-end systems. And many are customizable. Good warranty. www.alienware.com

FYI - they're based out of Miami. Good bunch of guys.

Marino1983
03-23-2003, 09:46 AM
I think it's all these Tyra pics I have on here.. ;)

Hum I wonder if she would wash my pickup truck ???? I ll provide all the materials needed ...... :lol: Marino1983

Muck
03-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Better Tyra pic

Marino1983
03-23-2003, 09:54 AM
Better Tyra pic

Nice :up: Is it getting hot in here or what ?:whew: :lol: Marino1983

dolfan06
03-23-2003, 01:13 PM
with all these pictures i have to explain to my wife, I AM ON FINHEAVEN!:D

Muck
03-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Gotta love the reverse toe on Tyra there. :)

Dajesus
03-24-2003, 02:07 AM
If I were in the market for a pre-built system, I'd go with Alienware. They build very nice high-end systems. And many are customizable. Good warranty. www.alienware.com

FYI - they're based out of Miami. Good bunch of guys.

If you are going to buy an aleinware stop and get your head examined! Pay someone like Muck $500 to build you 3 times the computer, and you would still save $500 when its all said and done. Hell go to a pc parts store, and they will sell you all the parts and only charge you 150 to put it together, and you would probably save $700.

Dajesus
03-24-2003, 02:37 AM
I actully just did the math. Aleinware has their area 51 game computer. I took all the specs and went to newegg.com and figured out how much it would cost to build this comp. If built you collected all the parts and payed a tech to put it together for you it would cost about $1900. If you baught it from Aleinware it would cost 2500. Not to mention that Aleinware is a slave to expensive name brands. If you built the same comp, but didn't use the same companis for all the parts you could put it together for about $1600.

Muck
03-24-2003, 10:17 PM
With Alienware, you're also paying for the extras......like 24/7 tech support, on-site repair, great looking case/keyboard, etc. Lots of extras. You're also paying for their reputation for excellence and dependability.

But sure.....I, as well as Oliver and a few other guys here, can beat them pretty good $$$-wise.

poornate
03-24-2003, 10:29 PM

I love my Dell. It's about a year old and I've never had any problem with it. Now my dial up?, that sucks. I'm 35 minutes from the damn seat of our nations government and 15 minutes from one of the worlds most technology driven local economies and I can't get cable modem through the local cable company.

Dajesus
03-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by poornate
I love my Dell. It's about a year old and I've never had any problem with it. Now my dial up?, that sucks. I'm 35 minutes from the damn seat of our nations government and 15 minutes from one of the worlds most technology driven local economies and I can't get cable modem through the local cable company.

If you have sprint as your local phone provider or they are available as a local phone provider sprint DSL is a good alternitvie. They are running some spectacular deals right now. $50 phone in rebate, free modem, and a $50 visa gift card, and the 1st 3 months at 24.95. If it is a possibility find out how close you are to the switch board. I live less than a mile from the switch board and i have sprint DSL, and i put all cable modems to shame.

poornate
03-24-2003, 11:08 PM
nadda. Zilch. No alternative. The only thing I can do is wait.....

Muck
03-25-2003, 12:16 AM
It'll happen. If my old hometown can get high speed internet access (as they did last year), ANYBODY can. Just as long as you're not in the middle of nowhere in the woods or something.

Dajesus
03-25-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by poornate
nadda. Zilch. No alternative. The only thing I can do is wait.....

Go to MSN.com and see if they have their DSL available in your area. If they do get to a best buy before Apirl 1st and sign a 2 year contract for the dial up service to get $200 off anything in the store. Then you can call MSN and upgrade to DSL and it will cost you 39.99 a month. If that doesn't work PM me your phone number and i promise you i will find you a high speed ISP with in 20mins.

poornate
03-25-2003, 12:45 AM
i have msn. i run it through dell net.

poornate
03-25-2003, 12:45 AM
no local dsl

Dajesus
03-25-2003, 12:48 AM
AOL IM me at spendre666, i will bet you we can find you a DSL server.