PDA

View Full Version : My Apartment Is Flooded!!!

Muck
03-23-2003, 07:57 AM
Luckily, my mom is in town visiting. Because I never would have woken up before 9. But at 5:45 this morning, she wakes me up to go look in the kitchen. I flip on the light and the whole kitchen is flooded and so is the dining room. Water is pouring down from the light fixture in the ceiling. It still hasn't let up. I've got a garbage bin and pots down on the floor. Probably been about 15 or more gallons since I've been up.

What's funny is, there's an apartment above me and they've got no problems. But that doesn't help me out I guess. I rained pretty hard about 4:00 this morning.

My landlady is cool and thanked me for waking her. :) She said "Happy Anniversary" (I've been here a year). And she's trying to get someone here ASAP. I cut all the power to my apartment from the breaker box. But somehow, my computer still works. :tongue:

Anyway, I'm awake and can't do anything else. Just hoping that there's not a big accumulation above me and ceiling doesn't fall in. :eek:

Barbarian
03-23-2003, 08:33 AM
well... ummm... we hope the cieling doesn't fall down and crush you dude...

*shrugging* sorry, but I have no idea how to respond to this one... LOL

Muck
03-23-2003, 08:53 AM
Lol. That's about all you can say, right??

Dude, turns out a water heater busted. The guy is here now. And he shut off the water for the entire building. He thinks the problem is with the upstairs apartment. But the tenents won't let him in!! :lol:

Updates to come (as if everyone is hanging all over this one). :)

Jaydog57
03-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Damn dude, hope you're stuff isn't too damaged. My buddy lives in a real sh!thole of a complex and somehow, his pipes got connected with the people upstairs plumbing(bad plumber BAD plumber!:rolleyes: ) So whenever he tried to take a shower, whatever they had flushed upstairs, is what came out of the faucet.:nono:

bigbry
03-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Muck
Lol. That's about all you can say, right??

Dude, turns out a water heater busted. The guy is here now. And he shut off the water for the entire building. He thinks the problem is with the upstairs apartment. But the tenents won't let him in!! :lol:

Updates to come (as if everyone is hanging all over this one). :)

Hey Muck tell them they can temporarily store their indoor garden at your place , for, ohhh 1/2 the profits.

BB

Peebs
03-23-2003, 06:38 PM
You live below people? Cause it sounds like a drain pipe burst or something...something in your above neighbors pipes are messed up!
I had that happen. What a mess! The drain pipe in my bathtub ruptured and it was raining in my kitchen. After calling a plumber (and $1600 later and a TOTAL mess of my bathroom) it was fixed!

Muck
03-23-2003, 07:01 PM
That sucks!! Luckily, it's free for me. :) Turns out, the water heater that lies between my ceiling and their floor busted (I wondered why the water pouring down was warm). Luckily it WASN'T the pipes. Then we'd all be screwed. They're gonna check out everything tomorrow while I'm at work (electrical, etc). They're really kickass.

I'm just glad it happened on the weekend.....while my mom just happened to be staying with me. I would never have woken up. I would have lost a LOT. About 25 gallons flowed down (judging from what I collected in pots, garbage bins).

But at least I still would have a sh*t-free shower. :lol:

Peebs
03-23-2003, 07:21 PM
I have another water related disaster...
The day of the Phins/NE game I got up and had to check the water in the boiler (I have a old boiler) anyhooo I thought I shut the water off...instead I locked it in the on position. Left the house to run to Dairy Barn and got back to water spewing from EVERY radiator in the house.
I thought something was wrong with the switch and called the oil burner company.
The guy came during halftime.
He told me what I did....felt like a TOTAL ASS....had a MESS to clean up AND THE PHINS LOST.
It was a crappy day.

Muck
03-24-2003, 12:19 AM
LOL!! That's about as bad as my old roomate (cousin) forgetting to pay the gas bill and leaving the country for 3 weeks. Apparently, he hadn't paid in a very long time. Not only was I not able to use the stove, but I had no hot water. I was broke and new in town, so I was pretty much screwed. And it was winter.

Man, that sucked. I didn't realize how much we rely on hot water. Showering, shaving, etc. I dreaded waking up every day. Had to get all psyched up before I attempted to take a shower. It was balls cold. :tongue:

Speaking of cold water, that's what I've got now. And some of my electrical outlets are now dead. Hopefully I'll be up and running by tomorrow night.