PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: DTV, Widescreen, & Football

fin-atic
03-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Mods:
I ask you to give me a little time before moving this as I would like to get some answers before it is banished to "never read forum land".

Last summer I purchased a Sony 57" widescreen TV and was all hyped up to watch the Fins on the BIG screen. I was disappointed when the games came and the pictures were fuzzy and distorted. The close shots were fine, but the standard shot slightly back were fairly poor. I have cable and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I was also curious if Direct TV would make it better. I still love theater style football, but want better quality. Also, has anyone done the HDTV on a large screen for football?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks mods fro a littel latitude!!

Go Miami!

Penthos
03-25-2003, 12:11 PM
When I lived in Orlando a year ago we had HDTV through Time Warner Cable...

I, like you, have a widescreen, the thing was that while the games are usually simulcast in HDTV, they usually arent in shown in widscreen format.

So what happens is if you want to watch it in High Def you sacrifice the Widscreen aspect and just watch it with the black space to the left and right of the screen...

fin-atic
03-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Interesting. I thought one of the selling points for HDTV was the retention of a 16:9 widescreen format.

Did you have Direct TV? Was the picture good?

Penthos
03-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by fin-atic
Interesting. I thought one of the selling points for HDTV was the retention of a 16:9 widescreen format.

No sir, some broadcasts are widescreen high def and some are not. For instance, if Thursday night you watch Survivor, follwed by CSI both in High Def, you will see that Survivor is NOT 16:9 while CSI is.... Eventhough they are back to back on the same channel...

No I didn't have direct tv at the time, I had Time Warner... I have direct TV now, but because of the limited amount of available HDTV programming available... I don't think it is worth the cost having to get the HDTV Satellite receivers and whatnot...

CRAZYDOLFAN305
03-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Fin-atic the reason your big screen looks blurs is because a cable broadcasts a DIRTY pictures. The dirty pictures is caused by the co-axel cable you connect your TV to..Co-axel cable has picture, color and sound all wraped up in one and it's analog it does not matter if you have digital cable, the picture will sill be dirty because cable is wired through the ground and it gets it's feeds from one sattellite that millions of homes our accessing..That one sattellite belongs to the cable company..That is why you have to get DIRECT TV because the broadcast is digital..Therefore you would have to hook it up through your tv via the RCA jacks..RCA jacks are the red, white, yellow cords..It separates the sound, and filters the color between black and white as well as color..Now with you big screen you will bet better off getting the S-Video Monster Cable..S-Video allows you to see pictures in DVD quality..It seperates, sound both mono and stereo, color between black and white, and filters all of them..My suggestion would be to get Directv and hook it up to your Big Screen through the S-Video plugs..If not, the regular RCA Jacks would still get you much clearer picture your cable.

Also, all the homes from your neighborhood is feeding off one sattelite from the cable company..Oppose to Direct Tv you are getting a feed from one Sattellite which is outside your house not at the cable company..

ohall
03-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by fin-atic

I don't think they are broadcasting every game in HDTV on DTV and NFL Ticket, however they do from time to time. I would guess this would change this upcoming year. I think you should call DTV or goto Best Buy and ask and see for yourself what they offer.

I don't have a HDTV DTV tuner so I can't tell if it actually works on my HDTV.

Oliver...

gators910
03-25-2003, 06:24 PM
i heard direct tv will be broadcasting the sunday ticket games in hdtv this season,,lets hope so,,,hdtv should be in 16/9 aspect,,if not it isnt true hdtv,,lets go fins

ohall
03-25-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by gators910
i heard direct tv will be broadcasting the sunday ticket games in hdtv this season,,lets hope so,,,hdtv should be in 16/9 aspect,,if not it isnt true hdtv,,lets go fins

I guess I'll be buying that HDTV tuner after all! :D

Oliver...

gators910
03-25-2003, 06:32 PM
check with direct tv first before spending the money,lol ,,i have the hdtv tuner,,they broadcast the march madness games in hdtv,,and some nba games,,lets hope nfl is next,,just got my season tixs ,hope to make alot of the games,,long drive from nj,,,gators910

ohall
03-25-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by gators910
check with direct tv first before spending the money,lol ,,i have the hdtv tuner,,they broadcast the march madness games in hdtv,,and some nba games,,lets hope nfl is next,,just got my season tixs ,hope to make alot of the games,,long drive from nj,,,gators910

Oh don't worry I will, thx for the warning though! :D

Oliver...

fin-atic
03-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks to all!!

It sounds like the Direct TV is the route to go. I will splurge and get the
HDTV receiver and antenna and NFL Sunday Ticket.

My wife will love that...NOT!