PDA

View Full Version : How canada show america to play football.lol

ticatfan
05-31-2006, 04:07 PM
http://www.senioryears.com/football.html

G-Force
05-31-2006, 04:11 PM
What kind of crap is that. Football, baseball and basketball was all founded by Americans. Our sports are bigger and better than anything Canada has ever came up with. Get real.

Canadi-Phin
05-31-2006, 04:15 PM
G-Force,

Look up James Naismith, he created Basketball and he was Canadian.

G-Force
05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
G-Force,

Look up James Naismith, he created Basketball and he was Canadian.Where was it invented? Michael Jordan played in Canada do you want to claim him too?

Lappy
05-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Where was it invented? Michael Jordan played in Canada do you want to claim him too?

It was invented in Ontario. Guys read a book!

Lappy
05-31-2006, 04:27 PM
:shakeno: Wrong! Springfeild Mass. You obviously have a computer so go search.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blbasketball.htm

G-Force
05-31-2006, 04:28 PM
It was invented in Ontario. Guys read a book!McGill University in Springfeild Mass as a matter of fact. Where is your book or knowledge of a native son?

outtawack311
05-31-2006, 04:28 PM

It says right in that link that is was created while he was in Mass.

wow..owned by your own post.

Alex44
05-31-2006, 04:30 PM
The man who invented basketball was indeed canadian BUT it was in the united states

http://www.isabelperez.com/select/basket.htm

Unless Native Americans created it there is no such thing as a sport a real American has created

woolhoss
wow. you know you rarely see the self-own. It's a bold play......let's see how this works out for him.

GreenMachine
Dr. James Naismith is known world-wide as the inventor of basketball. He was born in 1861 in Ramsay township, near Almonte, Ontario, Canada. The concept of basketball was born from Naismith's school days in the area where he played a simple child's game known as duck-on-a-rock outside his one-room schoolhouse. The game involved attempting to knock a "duck" off the top of a large rock by tossing another rock at it. Naismith went on to attend McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

After serving as McGill's Athletic Director, James Naismith moved on to the YMCA Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts, USA in 1891, where the sport of basketball was born. In Springfield, Naismith was faced with the problem of finding a sport that was suitable for play inside during the Massachusetts winter for the students at the School for Christian Workers. Naismith wanted to create a game of skill for the students instead of one that relied solely on strength. He needed a game that could be played indoors in a relatively small space. The first game was played with a soccer ball and two peach baskets used as goals.

Alex44
05-31-2006, 04:31 PM

The Artical says in 1892. In which time he was in MASS

The first formal rules were devised in 1892. Initially, players dribbled a soccer ball up and down a court of unspecified dimensions. Points were earned by landing the ball in a peach basket. Iron hoops and a hammock-style basket were introduced in 1893. Another decade passed, however, before the innovation of open-ended nets put an end to the practice of manually retrieving the ball from the basket each time a goal was scored.

DolphinDevil28
05-31-2006, 04:31 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Lappy
05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
where was the he born and raised that was the question. Basketball was invented by a Canadian born in Ontario.

"Football, baseball and basketball was all founded by Americans"

Just because he happened to be teaching at an american institution doesn't change the fact the man was Canadian.

My God are you people this narrow minded.

G-Force
05-31-2006, 04:33 PM
It says he also introduced the helmet to American football. What a wuss. We played with nothing but the ball before others wanted to wussyfie our game so they could play. Then you post that you people tought us football. What a freaking crok.

'Phins & 'Canes
05-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Taking pride in one's self is all well and good, but does anyone HONESTLY think that the current-day NFL and the current-day cfl are even REMOTELY comparable? Jeez! LOL

And as far as who played what, where and what it was called way back when....uh, who friggin' cares?!!!! LOL

GreenMachine
05-31-2006, 04:34 PM
As was the case in Britain, by the early 19th century, North American schools and universities played their own local games, between sides made up of students. By the 1820s, a game known as Ballown was being played at the College of New Jersey (later known as Princeton University) and Old Division Football was being played at Dartmouth College, New Hampshire. In 1827, a Harvard University student composed a humorous epic poem called The Battle of the Delta, one of the first accounts of football in American universities.

The first documented football match in Canada was a game played at University College, University of Toronto on November 9, 1861. A football club was formed at the university soon afterwards, although its rules of play at this stage are unclear: it is not known whether they played a kicking or handling game, or both, and its members mostly played against each other.

The first "football club" in the USA was the short-lived Oneida Football Club in Boston, Massachusetts, founded in 1862.

The game gradually gained a following, and the Montreal Football Club was formed in 1868, the first recorded football club in Canada.

G-Force
05-31-2006, 04:34 PM
where was the he born and raised that was the question. Basketball was invented by a Canadian born in Ontario.

"Football, baseball and basketball was all founded by Americans"

Just because he happened to be teaching at an american institution doesn't change the fact the man was Canadian.

My God are you people this narrow minded.He had to be an American citizen or temporary citizen to teach oh smart one.

Scott Andrew
05-31-2006, 04:37 PM
He had to be an American citizen or temporary citizen to teach oh smart one.

You are not seriosly going to use that as proof of your argument are you???

Just admit your statement was wrong in regards to basketball, but not the others...

'Phins & 'Canes
05-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Basketball was invented by a Canadian born in Ontario.

Who cares if he was born in Canada? It's not like you all turned it into what it's become today or anything right? It's just like what was mentioned in the article that football began at Rutgers. Yeah! And they really did a lot with it didn't they? LOL One of the biggest laughing stocks in football history right there, but boy do they love to take credit for it.

Kind of like the cfl getting some pub because RW is playing up there now. Yes, the cfl could use the notoriety and publicity, but outside of that, who cares about it? LOL

The Mountie
05-31-2006, 04:38 PM
McGill University in Springfeild Mass as a matter of fact. Where is your book or knowledge of a native son?

i'm not getting involved in this as the us/canada rivalry is pretty lame. however...just wanted to point out Mcgill university is in Montreal. Just a correction from a PTI statboy wannabe. thanks.

studsatele
05-31-2006, 04:39 PM
The man who invented basketball was indeed canadian BUT it was in the united states

http://www.isabelperez.com/select/basket.htm

Unless Native Americans created it there is no such thing as a sport a real American has createdchild please dont interupt when these grown folk are talking. i know they pc into you guys these days but just cause an indian didnt create a sport dont mean it aint american. so i guess jim thorpe is the only great american football player.

Spicy Henne
05-31-2006, 04:39 PM
my dad could beat up your dads

Slim
05-31-2006, 04:41 PM
I think the title of this thread should be changed to 'A valid reason to pay the 30 some odd $ to get VIP'

G-Force
05-31-2006, 04:42 PM
You are not seriosly going to use that as proof of your argument are you???

Just admit your statement was wrong in regards to basketball, but not the others...Hell no!! He fought for the Kansas infantry and defected from Canada as soon as possible obviously. He loved this country more since he fought wars and did most of his schooling here. It was on American soil he invented the game at an American university. Oh and he was also a Chaplin for the Kansas infantry and also served with them in France. Is that not American?

Alex44
05-31-2006, 04:43 PM
child please dont interupt when these grown folk are talking. i know they pc into you guys these days but just cause an indian didnt create a sport dont mean it aint american. so i guess jim thorpe is the only great american football player.

You missed my point completely :rolleyes:

Point is its like a German guy coming in and saying that Germany created a sport when it was just a guy from Germany, especially back in 1891, maybe you should look deeper into the words than their dictionary meanings next time

My point was that maybe a true 'American' person didnt create it, but the sport is american

Spicy Henne
05-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Who cares if he was born in Canada? It's not like you all turned it into what it's become today or anything right? It's just like what was mentioned in the article that football began at Rutgers. Yeah! And they really did a lot with it didn't they? LOL One of the biggest laughing stocks in football history right there, but boy do they love to take credit for it.

Kind of like the cfl getting some pub because RW is playing up there now. Yes, the cfl could use the notoriety and publicity, but outside of that, who cares about it? LOL

I don't know, pretty much every sports fan in Canada, but not you so I guess it doesn't matter.

G-Force
05-31-2006, 04:44 PM
i'm not getting involved in this as the us/canada rivalry is pretty lame. however...just wanted to point out Mcgill university is in Montreal. Just a correction from a PTI statboy wannabe. thanks.Yeah I saw that also. Thanks for the correction though.

Troysif
05-31-2006, 04:44 PM
and this has to do with the dolphins how?

Migs
05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
The purpose of this thread is what?

woolhoss
05-31-2006, 04:46 PM
To make Mexico look better and better by the moment

Alex44
05-31-2006, 04:46 PM
The purpose of this thread is what?

Seems like Americans want to hate Canada and Canada seems to want to hate Americans

Thats stupid I think....but let them do what they want, they wanna start some sort of rivalry...fine let them

Vector1Dolphins
05-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Oh Boy Oh Boy.

Go Dolphins

Slim
To make Mexico look better and better by the moment

HAHAHAHAHA

The last two replies of yours i have read were priceless. Keep up the good work.

'Phins & 'Canes
The purpose of this thread is for the never-before-seen and never-will-be-seen-again Canadian folks to come over and tout what a great superior country they have over anything American. lol

PhinBeck
Waaaa, my ball is better than your ball, my country is better than yours, waaa,, "Pick me, Pick Me"! This thread is too funny

Migs
05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Seems like Americans want to hate Canada and Canada seems to want to hate Americans

Thats stupid I think....but let them do what they want, they wanna start some sort of rivalry...fine let them
Both countries kick a** if you ask me. Some of my best memories are weekends spent hammered between Seattle and Vancouver:finfan72:

SRF
05-31-2006, 04:50 PM
McGill University in Springfeild Mass as a matter of fact. Where is your book or knowledge of a native son?

McGill is in Montreal. (Coincidentally it’s also the school that introduced football to Americans when they played Harvard in 1874). Naismith was from Ontario. I believe basketball was first played in the US, but if they started playing it the year he got there then he may well have thought it up in Canada. I’m not sure why that point would matter anyway. North American style football and hockey were both invented and played first in Canada. We’ll give you baseball though. ;)

G-Force
05-31-2006, 04:50 PM
If you people don't want to contribute to our conversation you could always go away and let us finish instead of gum flapping and flirting. That was priceless. This thread is for what? Get a room and go away if thats your contribution.

'Phins & 'Canes
05-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Canada = hockey

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA = anything else that people might actually watch

woolhoss
Isn't G-Force like some brand of Power Rangers?

Alex44
McGill is in Montreal. (Coincidentally it’s also the school that introduced football to Americans when they played Harvard in 1874). Naismith was from Ontario. I believe basketball was first played in the US, but if they started playing it the year he got there then he may well have thought it up in Canada. I’m not sure why that point would matter anyway. North American style football and hockey were both invented and played first in Canada. We’ll give you baseball though. ;)

You can keep hockey....we dont want it....I dont anyway :lol:

DolphinDevil28
05-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Both countries kick a** if you ask me. Some of my best memories are weekends spent hammered between Seattle and Vancouver:finfan72:

I don't hate Canada at all. I just can't stand the anti-America sentiment by those in countries who we help all the time.

I've been to Canada once in my life, and it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

I just have such a deep pride and love for the USA.

woolhoss
05-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeh. I can understand why americans don't understand hockey. Because over weight mullet sporting rednecks can't skate. And watching people skate is too much like exercise.

Long Live America's Pasttime.......The Jerry Springer Show

Migs
05-31-2006, 04:55 PM
I don't hate Canada at all. I just can't stand the anti-America sentiment by those in countries who we help all the time.

I've been to Canada once in my life, and it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

I just have such a deep pride and love for the USA.
I hear ya. I love both countries equally. Proud to be Canadian and proud to have such great neighbours to the south. Unfortunately there are always the Yahoos out there who feel the need to piss into the wind. Actually planning a trip the Orlando next fall......can't wait.

G-Force
McGill is in Montreal. (Coincidentally it’s also the school that introduced football to Americans when they played Harvard in 1874). Naismith was from Ontario. I believe basketball was first played in the US, but if they started playing it the year he got there then he may well have thought it up in Canada. I’m not sure why that point would matter anyway. North American style football and hockey were both invented and played first in Canada. We’ll give you baseball though. ;)Read post #17.:0wned:

DolphinDevil28
Yeh. I can understand why americans don't understand hockey. Because over weight mullet sporting rednecks can't skate. And watching people skate is too much like exercise.

Long Live America's Pasttime.......The Jerry Springer Show

Are you f'ing serious?

Scott Andrew
05-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Hell no!! He fought for the Kansas infantry and defected from Canada as soon as possible obviously. He loved this country more since he fought wars and did most of his schooling here. It was on American soil he invented the game at an American university. Oh and he was also a Chaplin for the Kansas infantry and also served with them in France. Is that not American?

Since this is all about the invention of Basketball, when Basketball was invented how long had Naismith lived in America... less then two years, and how long had he lived in Canada... 29 years! And Naismith became a US citizen in 1925... 34 years after Basketball was invented

G-Force
05-31-2006, 04:56 PM

Long Live America's Pasttime.......The Jerry Springer ShowDPOTY

Alex44
05-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Since this is all about the invention of Basketball, when Basketball was invented how long had Naismith lived in America... less then two years, and how long had he lived in Canada... 29 years! And Naismith became a US citizen in 1925... 34 years after Basketball was invented

It still wasnt invented in Canada

Thats like saying Germany invented Basketball when it was just a guy from Germany

woolhoss
05-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Are you f'ing serious?

Oh yes. And gullible isn't in the dictionary.

G-Force
05-31-2006, 04:59 PM
Since this is all about the invention of Basketball, when Basketball was invented how long had Naismith lived in America... less then two years, and how long had he lived in Canada... 29 years! And Naismith became a US citizen in 1925... 34 years after Basketball was inventedWhere was the game invented? What country did Naismith serve in the military for? And why did he become a US citizen if he still wanted to be Canadian is the question you people need to ask yourself and think hard on.:0wned: again.

Scott Andrew
05-31-2006, 04:59 PM
It still wasnt invented in Canada

Thats like saying Germany invented Basketball when it was just a guy from Germany

That would be a great point if it mattered to anything I said... I am simply stating that Naismith was a Canadian, I've never said the game was invented IN Canada... but thanks anyway

DolphinDevil28
05-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Oh yes. And gullible isn't in the dictionary.

First off, it's not gullible.

It's confused. I've seen you defend the US, Mexico, and now attack the US in this thread.

Help me out here. :lol:

Alex44
05-31-2006, 05:00 PM
That would be a great point if it mattered to anything I said... I am simply stating that Naismith was a Canadian, I've never said the game was invented IN Canada... but thanks anyway

Thats what it seems you were implying though, we all know he was canadian, thats not the issue

WharfRat
05-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Holy Crap.

Just Holy Crap.

Scott Andrew
05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Where was the game invented? What country did Naismith serve in the military for? And why did he become a US citizen if he still wanted to be Canadian is the question you people need to ask yourself and think hard on.:0wned: again.

At first I thought you were a little smarter then the others and now I am questioning that thought...

YOUR STATEMENT WAS:

basketball was all founded by Americans.

This is simply ASSININE, at the time that he invented the game HE WAS A CANADIAN CITIZEN, so therefore it was not "founded by an American"

straight forward and simple

G-Force
That would be a great point if it mattered to anything I said... I am simply stating that Naismith was a Canadian, I've never said the game was invented IN Canada... but thanks anywayIf he became a American he didn't want to be Canadian for some odd reason. He was in America so theirfore because he was here and done it and stayed then it is American. I mean come on name one Canadian BB player besides Nash worth anything in history.

Scott Andrew
Thats what it seems you were implying though, we all know he was canadian, thats not the issue

read the 2nd post in this whole thing

Scott Andrew
05-31-2006, 05:04 PM
If he became a American he didn't want to be Canadian for some odd reason. He was in America so theirfore because he was here and done it and stayed then it is American. I mean come on name one Canadian BB player besides Nash worth anything in history.

Magloire

G-Force
05-31-2006, 05:05 PM
At first I thought you were a little smarter then the others and now I am questioning that thought...

YOUR STATEMENT WAS:

This is simply ASSININE, at the time that he invented the game HE WAS A CANADIAN CITIZEN, so therefore it was not "founded by an American"

straight forward and simpleYou put it up yourself that he became a American citizen so therefore he isn't Canadian. He fought for America and his last Citizenship was handed out in the great US of A.

Alex44
05-31-2006, 05:06 PM
read the 2nd post in this whole thing

I get that

I think the debate is more is the game american or canadian though.

Which would you say?

SRF
05-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Read post #17.:0wned:

Read this post:

“Modern American football grew out of a match between McGill University of Montreal, and Harvard University in 1874. At the time, Harvard students are reported to have played the "Boston Game" — a running code — rather than the FA-based kicking games favored by US universities. This made it easy for Harvard to adapt to the rugby-based game played by McGill and the two teams alternated between their respective sets of rules. Within a few years, however, Harvard had both adopted McGill's rugby rules and had persuaded other US university teams to do the same. In 1876, at the Massasoit Convention, it was agreed by these universities to adopt most of the Rugby Football Union rules. However, a touch-down (as it was also known in rugby football at the time) only counted toward the score if neither side kicked a field goal. The convention decided that, in the US game, four touchdowns would be worth one goal; in the event of a tied score, a goal converted from a touchdown would take precedence over four touch-downs.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football

The Canadian game had probably been played this way for about 10 years before the 1874 game as far as I can tell.

Scott Andrew
05-31-2006, 05:07 PM
I get that

I think the debate is more is the game american or canadian though.

Which would you say?

American without question

Chaps
05-31-2006, 05:08 PM
If he became a American he didn't want to be Canadian for some odd reason. He was in America so theirfore because he was here and done it and stayed then it is American. I mean come on name one Canadian BB player besides Nash worth anything in history.Did he rescind his Canadian citizenship? If not (which he didn't) then shut up already. Plenty of people have dual citizenship...it doesn't mean they're unpatriotic towards their native country.

This thread is ridiculous already.

Scott Andrew
05-31-2006, 05:08 PM
You put it up yourself that he became a American citizen so therefore he isn't Canadian. He fought for America and his last Citizenship was handed out in the great US of A.

Then you can say: The Canadian citizen that invented Basketball in America became an American citizen much later in life... is that better?

Alex44
05-31-2006, 05:09 PM
American without question

I think were on the same page but I misunderstood you, my fault

G-Force
05-31-2006, 05:09 PM
MagloireThe 6th man on the Hornets bench? Are you serious? This has gone too far my problem was with the original poster and Lappy and they ran. James was an American though.:canada: :drinkers: :flagwave:

G-Force
05-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Did he rescind his Canadian citizenship? If not (which he didn't) then shut up already. Plenty of people have dual citizenship...it doesn't mean they're unpatriotic towards their native country.

This thread is ridiculous already.Dont tell me to shut up boy or little miss.

Rocky Raccoon
05-31-2006, 05:12 PM
:jt0323:

Lappy
05-31-2006, 05:14 PM
The 6th man on the Hornets bench? Are you serious? This has gone too far my problem was with the original poster and Lappy and they ran. James was an American though.:canada: :drinkers: :flagwave:

How was I a problem I stated a fact that he was Canadian, That's when the Canadian bashing started and since I have stayed out of this train reck.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but the argument was starting to offend me. Thats when I stopped posting.

DolphinDevil28
05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
I like spaghetti.

Scott Andrew
05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
The 6th man on the Hornets bench? Are you serious?
James was an Canadian though.:canada:

Yes I mean the same guy that was selected to the all-star team in 03-04

and P.S. he plays for that playoff team called the Bucks... where he led in rebounds AND blocks

unifiedtheory
06-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Well, this thread taught me something...

How to fill up my ignore list quickly. Damn is ignorance bliss sometimes.

ticatfan
06-01-2006, 08:54 AM
My post was just to show some history on the game we all love, it had nothing to do with who is better. And naismith was born in almonte which is 45 minutes from where I am and he moved to america and invented the game of basketball. To much hate in this world. I will refrain from posting anything to do with history of what our 2 great couintries have acheived by working together. It seems those days are over.

SRF
06-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Well, this thread taught me something...

How to fill up my ignore list quickly. Damn is ignorance bliss sometimes.

:lol: :lol:
That’s the funniest inadvertent self slam I’ve seen in a long time. All I can say is that you must be in a state of absolute bliss judging from your posts I’ve read so far. :sidelol:

Alex44
06-01-2006, 11:09 AM
My post was just to show some history on the game we all love, it had nothing to do with who is better. And naismith was born in almonte which is 45 minutes from where I am and he moved to america and invented the game of basketball. To much hate in this world. I will refrain from posting anything to do with history of what our 2 great couintries have acheived by working together. It seems those days are over.

Unfortunatly some people think that if their country didnt invent something its probally bad....its a sense of pride I guess, but some things are way more important than self pride

Now I say we let this thread die.....

Kinzua
06-01-2006, 12:22 PM
:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

truncatus
06-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Look at the mesoamerican ballgame. In one version the goal was to get a ball into the opponent's end of the court, in another version the goal was to get the ball through an elevated ring, and in both versions the players were heavily padded. This was played in 1250 B.C...

dol_fan_81
06-02-2006, 04:00 AM
:eek: :eat: