PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 TV shows we will miss

BAMAPHIN 22
06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
1. Arrested Development: The documented travails of the Bluth family were often the subject of critical acclaim. But neither that, nor fans’ pleas, could save it from the Fox hatchet. "Arrested" was unabashedly too smart for its own good: proudly self-referential (including a parody (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10697328/) of its own dire situation), willing to weave in real-world events (George Sr.'s construction efforts in Iraq) and always happy to revel in political incorrectness (Charlize Theron as a mentally ******ed girlfriend?). Perhaps its complexities or endless in-jokes were too much for the average viewer. But its premature demise was a telegraphed death knell to all shows that occasionally float a joke over viewers' heads. Hence a note to "Scrubs" fans: Start shouting louder.

2. Alias: By comparison, here was a thicket of a show that went into the sunset just in time. In 2001, J.J. Abrams' intricate spy drama was a strange bird, but after Abrams outdid himself with "Lost," it was time to bring Sydney Bristow's complicated life to a (relatively) happy conclusion. Mercifully, her post-pregnancy loose ends were tied up (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12802536/) before the shark could go airborne. Whether for SD-6, APO or her own needs, Sydney always found a way into adventures as colorful as her wigs, even if they could be too intricate for their own good (Rambaldi, anyone?). Yet Jennifer Garner and her costars pulled off what sometimes seemed like a ridiculous premise without making it feel silly. And Abrams proved himself an undisputed master of network drama.

3. The West Wing: When NBC's presidential drama launched in 1999, Americans were still trying to escape the shadow of Bill Clinton's Oval Office indiscretions. By the post-9/11 yardstick, it was an innocent time. "West Wing" often suffered from the usual grenades tossed at political dramas (too liberal, too heavy-handed) but creator Aaron Sorkin set a crucial tone, with dialogue and quiet moments carrying the day rather than gaudy trappings of power. That approach was Sorkin's trademark; even after his season-four departure, "West Wing" retained his sensibilities. Martin Sheen's President Bartlet was always a passionate defender of reason. Allison Janney's C.J. was a press secretary with no real-world peer. Despite an occasional misstep (the live debate), "West Wing" ended on a classy, bipartisan note.

(For the remainder see attached link):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13071214/

Noodle Arm
06-01-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm going to miss Arrested Development. The final 3 episodes were brilliant.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
oh god, arrested development. funniest show ever. taking that off the air will eventually while keeping family guy on is absurd. hopefully they go over to showtime.

Motion
06-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm actually glad all 5 of them are gone, especially That 70's Show.

Majpain
06-01-2006, 02:38 PM
70's show will be missed.

Roman529
06-01-2006, 02:45 PM
I also liked the West Wing even though I did not start watching it until around the time Rob Lowe was leaving the show. I liked that is was fast moving. I don't watch that many shows on tv, mainly the news, History Channel, the Outdoor Channel, and ESPN. I also like some of the chef shows on the Food Channel. Emeril rocks....bam!!!

Clark Kent
06-01-2006, 02:51 PM
1. Arrested Development: The documented travails of the Bluth family were often the subject of critical acclaim. But neither that, nor fans’ pleas, could save it from the Fox hatchet. "Arrested" was unabashedly too smart for its own good: proudly self-referential (including a parody (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10697328/) of its own dire situation), willing to weave in real-world events (George Sr.'s construction efforts in Iraq) and always happy to revel in political incorrectness (Charlize Theron as a mentally ******ed girlfriend?). Perhaps its complexities or endless in-jokes were too much for the average viewer. But its premature demise was a telegraphed death knell to all shows that occasionally float a joke over viewers' heads. Hence a note to "Scrubs" fans: Start shouting louder.

2. Alias: By comparison, here was a thicket of a show that went into the sunset just in time. In 2001, J.J. Abrams' intricate spy drama was a strange bird, but after Abrams outdid himself with "Lost," it was time to bring Sydney Bristow's complicated life to a (relatively) happy conclusion. Mercifully, her post-pregnancy loose ends were tied up (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12802536/) before the shark could go airborne. Whether for SD-6, APO or her own needs, Sydney always found a way into adventures as colorful as her wigs, even if they could be too intricate for their own good (Rambaldi, anyone?). Yet Jennifer Garner and her costars pulled off what sometimes seemed like a ridiculous premise without making it feel silly. And Abrams proved himself an undisputed master of network drama.

3. The West Wing: When NBC's presidential drama launched in 1999, Americans were still trying to escape the shadow of Bill Clinton's Oval Office indiscretions. By the post-9/11 yardstick, it was an innocent time. "West Wing" often suffered from the usual grenades tossed at political dramas (too liberal, too heavy-handed) but creator Aaron Sorkin set a crucial tone, with dialogue and quiet moments carrying the day rather than gaudy trappings of power. That approach was Sorkin's trademark; even after his season-four departure, "West Wing" retained his sensibilities. Martin Sheen's President Bartlet was always a passionate defender of reason. Allison Janney's C.J. was a press secretary with no real-world peer. Despite an occasional misstep (the live debate), "West Wing" ended on a classy, bipartisan note.

(For the remainder see attached link):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13071214/

1. Arrested Developement was picked up by Showtime. So good news...

2. I'm glad they mentioned Scrubs. One of the best written shows on TV (with GREAT actors) that will soon die. It's a shame, the show is pure gold.

3. 2-5 are crap shows, won't be "missed."

byroan
06-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Only show I really liked was that 70's show and even then it wasn't that great.

Maynard the Hammer
06-01-2006, 11:12 PM
3. 2-5 are crap shows, won't be "missed.":yeahthat:

Coral Reefer
06-01-2006, 11:49 PM
70's show was very good but it had clearly run it's course.
It lasted one season too long and is going out on a low note instead of a high note.

Didn't give a rats arse about any of the others.

Quelonio
06-01-2006, 11:55 PM
I loved the West wing... I will for sure miss that one.

JPhinfan86
06-02-2006, 05:28 AM
while keeping family guy on is absurd. hopefully they go over to showtime.
:shakeno: How dareth you? I'll dismiss the comment given the turmoil you're faced with in the heat of the moment. :tantrum: :chuckle:

JPhinfan86
06-02-2006, 05:31 AM
#1 show I won't miss. Unfortunately that's The Simpsons. Groening completely ran out of jokes. The show has become 100% predictable in all punch lines. I LOVE the re-runs and luckily there are enough to sustain me but the fresh episodes kinda suck.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-02-2006, 08:52 AM
family guy started to suck after 2 seasons. it took the simpsons 12 or 13 to go downhill.

Roman529
06-02-2006, 02:03 PM
The shows I miss the most:

1. Seinfeld
2. The X-Files
3. Taxi
4. The Jeffersons
5. All in the Family

I'm Old School. :wink:

ILPhinFan88
06-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Out of those I will miss.....

:D

earl the pearl
06-02-2006, 04:43 PM
arrested development is easily the funniest show ever to me. all the characters are so perfect and the story is so complex with so many jokes going on at once...aaahhh i miss it so much.

i leave you with this...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4653911160739929435&q=arrested+development

...ok, and this
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-875317876990741147&q=arrested+development

eeeehhh one more couldnt hurt...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=772981024850255396&q=arrested+development

:boohoo: . now i miss it more.

edit: one more, my personal favorite
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3282070594829592641&q=arrested+development+tobias+featherbottom

JPhinfan86
06-03-2006, 03:26 AM
family guy started to suck after 2 seasons. it took the simpsons 12 or 13 to go downhill.
I think Family Guy is going extremely strong. I think ALOT more people see that too. Remember that it was cancelled on FOX after 3 season. Adult Swim on Cartoon Network ran those seasons and it gained alot of attention resulting in a brand new contract with FOX and some hilarious shows. Now, "American Dad" blows goats, that is certain.

JPhinfan86
06-03-2006, 03:28 AM
arrested development is easily the funniest show ever to me. all the characters are so perfect and the story is so complex with so many jokes going on at once...aaahhh i miss it so much.
Ya know, I've heard this many times and never have watched the show. Now that it's going off of the air I hope I see a re-run somewhere. I do remember (even as a non-follower) that it was considerably surprising that FOX was axing the show because I had always heard good stuff. Weird logic I guess, does anyone know the reason it's done?

FLOUNDER
06-03-2006, 03:31 AM
The two shows i will miss the most

1. THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW
2. GET SMART

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-03-2006, 11:07 AM
american dad is awesome. what family guy should've been.

Mike13
06-03-2006, 11:40 AM
american dad is awesome. what family guy should've been.

I think its the opposite its just a different version of family guy that tries too hard to be funny.

THOMAS_54
06-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Arrested Development won 5 Emmys one year in believe (2004 maybe). It's too bad it never got good ratings.

earl the pearl
06-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Ya know, I've heard this many times and never have watched the show. Now that it's going off of the air I hope I see a re-run somewhere. I do remember (even as a non-follower) that it was considerably surprising that FOX was axing the show because I had always heard good stuff. Weird logic I guess, does anyone know the reason it's done?
basically, fox was too incompetent to market it correctly. It's first season, it won 5 emmy awards, yet it constantly struggled to garner any kind of ratings. Personally, i think it's because for it's first 2 seasons it was on Sunday at 9:30 :shakeno: . For the last season, they switched it to wed i think, but it was too late.

It's a very self-centric show...jokes from the first show were still there in the last, so people who hadn't seen earlier episodes wouldn't understand newer ones.

i'd recommend renting/buying the first 2 seasons on dvd, the third should be out this fall, and just watching them straight through.

FinFan72
06-03-2006, 01:52 PM
the only one i will miss of the 5 will be That 70's Show

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-03-2006, 08:59 PM
basically, fox was too incompetent to market it correctly. It's first season, it won 5 emmy awards, yet it constantly struggled to garner any kind of ratings. Personally, i think it's because for it's first 2 seasons it was on Sunday at 9:30 :shakeno: . For the last season, they switched it to wed i think, but it was too late.

It's a very self-centric show...jokes from the first show were still there in the last, so people who hadn't seen earlier episodes wouldn't understand newer ones.

i'd recommend renting/buying the first 2 seasons on dvd, the third should be out this fall, and just watching them straight through. the show was definitely too smart and in-depth for the average or casual viewer.

Daunte'sInferno
06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Dark Angel for me because watching Jessica Alba with a little more junk in the trunk got me feeling funny in strange places.

JPhinfan86
06-04-2006, 01:11 AM
I think its the opposite its just a different version of family guy that tries too hard to be funny.
:clap: 100% spot on about how I feel on this show.

dreday
08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Was really diggin scrubs...

PhinzN703
08-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Was really diggin scrubs...

Then you'll love it this season on ABC :)

PhinzN703
08-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Saved by the Bell
Melrose Place
The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
The Wonder Years
Tour of Duty

Memories :hi5:

dreday
08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Damn thought it was canceled.Watched the reruns...

Check.

ih8brady
08-08-2008, 02:43 PM
What do I miss?

Coach and M.A.N.T.I.S.

Tpaddle
08-09-2008, 12:05 AM
none of em were great imo...but one show that i do miss is dr. steve-o, jk lol

BobDole
08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
arrested development was one of the best shows of all time. if you are not of that opinion, you either have no sense of humor or are too stupid and just don't get it. i almost cried when i found out it was getting cancelled. i had to order the hdnet channels to get the reruns.

scrubs is also a classic. it took me a while to get into it because of how extremely gay zach braff's character was, but the writing was genius. hopefully they are smart and keep the same writers. the janitor was great.

the simpsons is easily one of the best and most clever shows of all time. it peaked in the mid 90's and never really returned to form after conan left.

shows i will miss:

1. arrested development
2. seinfeld
3. newsradio
4. sopranos

shows you have to check out:

1. always sunny in philadelphia - best show on tv
2. dexter
3. 30 rock
4. weeds

fatkirstyalley
08-14-2008, 10:59 AM
1.) ALF
2.) Married with Children
3.) Hanging with Mr. Cooper
4.) Thirty Something
5.) Golden Girls

BobDole
08-14-2008, 11:53 AM
1.) ALF
2.) Married with Children
3.) Hanging with Mr. Cooper
4.) Thirty Something
5.) Golden Girls

forgot about married with children. they might reject my no m.a.a.m. reinstatement next quarter. :foundout:

Dolphan7
08-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Nothing like resurrecting a two year old thread!

sceeto
08-16-2008, 12:02 AM
-- Cheers
-- Mr. Show
-- Six Feet Under (the earlier ones)