Buddwalk
06-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Too many to list, but....

1. Iron Maiden
2. Symphony X
3. Saxon
4. Judas Priest
5. Dio

forgot to tell ya pagan my guitar teacher teaching me theory right now is a huge huge huge KK Downing fan :yes:

Walking25
06-01-2006, 03:12 PM
the jimi hendrix experience & his earlier band jimi james & the blue flames

john lennon plastic ono band

the beatles

the rolling stones

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Ataxia

Pink Floyd
Bob Marley & The Wailers

Scott Weiland & the Action Girls

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 03:12 PM
1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. The Who
4. The Doors
5. The Eagles

Honorable mentions...

Pink Floyd
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Billy Joel
Allman Brothers Band
Rush

d-day
06-01-2006, 03:13 PM
beatles
cheap trick
jeff buckley
joni mitchell
jimi hendrix

In_Flames
06-01-2006, 03:15 PM

1. Iron Maiden
2. Symphony X
3. Saxon
4. Judas Priest
5. Dio

ahh c'mon Pagan..I thought for sure I'd see some Manowar or Helloween on that list...:D :wink:

Buddwalk
06-01-2006, 03:18 PM
beatles
cheap trick
jeff buckley
joni mitchell
jimi hendrix

I didnt include jimi as a band my self despite he was with the experience...He was basically a solo guy...I would of included jimi and randy in my list if I were allowed to use solo guys

your a cheap trick fan

DDay :grouplaugEverybody

:chuckle: Just messing with ya bro...my moms a cheap trick fan too

Fin Fan in Cali
06-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

AC/DC

Cinderella

Tesla

Sevendust

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I didnt include jimi as a band my self despite he was with the experience...He was basically a solo guy...I would of including jimi and randy in my list

your a cheap trick fan

hey man, Cheap Trick is pretty good

d-day
06-01-2006, 03:21 PM
I didnt include jimi as a band my self despite he was with the experience...He was basically a solo guy...I would of included jimi and randy in my list if I were allowed to use solo guys

your a cheap trick fan

huge cheap trick fan - cheap trick was my generations version of the beatles - only cheap trick new how to writes bridges, create tension in their music and layer vocal harmonies like the beatles did - like any band though, you need to look past the hits - dig deeper... :wink:

Buddwalk
06-01-2006, 03:22 PM
hey man, Cheap Trick is pretty good

not a big fan though

New list including solo guys

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Ozzy & Randy Rhoads
3. Metallica
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. The Beatles

Roman529
Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

AC/DC

Cinderella

Tesla

Sevendust

I like that song "Nobody's Fool" by Cinderella....they were good.....I saw Tesla in concert...they were so 80's!!

Buddwalk
huge cheap trick fan - cheap trick was my generations version of the beatles - only cheap trick new how to writes bridges, create tension in their music and layer vocal harmonies like the beatles did - like any band though, you need to look past the hits - dig deeper... :wink:

maybe hit me up with a couple titles i've never heard of and i'll give them a listen. May turn me into a fan like you did with jimi and stryper :wink: :wink: :wink:

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 03:23 PM

I have no idea what this means :lol:

d-day
06-01-2006, 03:25 PM
maybe hit me up with a couple titles i've never heard of and i'll give them a listen. May turn me into a fan like you did with jimi and stryper :wink: :wink: :wink:

listen to mandocello, way of the world, voices, worlds greatest lover...

Fin Fan in Cali
06-01-2006, 03:25 PM
I like that song "Nobody's Fool" by Cinderella....they were good.....I saw Tesla in concert...they were so 80's!!Tesla is still out there rocking. They have there latest cd Into the Now, and it kicks butt. They are a good rock band. On my list 6 would be Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band:wink:

Buddwalk
06-01-2006, 03:26 PM

http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=29

d-day
06-01-2006, 03:27 PM

just a little music theory - bands like the beatles weren't great by accident - they really knew how to compose a song... :wink:

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 03:29 PM
just a little music theory - bands like the beatles weren't great by accident - they really knew how to compose a song... :wink:

well of course :D

but I don't really get into all of that kind of stuff...I only really pay attention to the vocals and instruments working together

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-01-2006, 03:30 PM
1: yes
2: genesis (peter gabriel only)
3: opeth
4: gentle giant
5: nick drake

and top 5 albums:

1: yes - close to the edge
2: opeth - still life
3: pink floyd - animals
4: genesis - selling england by the pound
5: yes - relayer

Roman529
06-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Beatles...probably the best combination of songs ever.....too bad Mrs. McCartney is going to get HALF of Paul's money....IS THAT FAIR???? :lol: :wink:

Buddwalk

:yeahthat:

Knowing where you want to go doesn’t necessitate getting there in a direct line. Some people look at songwriting as confining. You find a pattern you like and you color nicely in the lines. I prefer to think of the challenge involved in stretching the boundaries. You can write in a “traditional” manner and still come up with exciting things. We already examined the Moody Blues’ “For My Lady” two columns ago and saw the use of the minor plagal cadence. Take a look at what John Lennon does in “Norwegian Wood.” It’s in G (and no, I didn’t plan it this way!) but he starts out the bridge with a G minor chord! This is actually a pretty clever thing to do when you think about it, because the fifth of both G and G minor is D, isn’t it?
Gm C
She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh
Gm Am D
I told her I didn’t and crawled off to sleep in the bath
You could make the argument here that Lennon transforms the song into the key of F, since the Gm to C cadence sounds so much like a half-cadence (it is, indeed, II to V in F). Personally, I think it’s a bit of over-analysis, but then that’s what theory is all about. All I know is that it can be fun, too.
Fellow Beatle George Harrison had his share of interesting bridge progressions as well. Take “Something.” The song, for all intents and purposes, is in the key of C major. The chorus section (“I don’t want to leave her now…”) uses a chromatic descending scale from the A minor (relative minor of C major) to great effect. But in the bridge, he changes the song into A major and creates a whole new tonal center using an A major descending scale:
CHORUS:
Am G#aug
I don’t want to leave her now
C/G D/F# F Eb G A
You know I believe and how
BRIDGE:
A C#m/G# F#m A/E
You’re asking me will my love grow
D G A
I don’t know I don’t know
A C#m/G# F#m A/E
You stick around now it may show
D G C
I don’t know I don’t know

Rocky Raccoon
Beatles...probably the best combination of songs ever.....too bad Mrs. McCartney is going to get HALF of Paul's money....IS THAT FAIR???? :lol: :wink:

I've heard she doesn't want half of it...only a piece

ILPhinFan88
06-01-2006, 03:32 PM
1. AC/DC
2. Judas Priest
3. Scorpions
4. Black Sabbath
5. Iron Maiden

Roman529
06-01-2006, 03:38 PM
1. AC/DC
2. Judas Priest
3. Scorpions
4. Black Sabbath
5. Iron Maiden

Ohh I forgot the Scorpions...they opened for Motley Crue here about five years ago....Klaus Meine can flat out sing....I heard him sing Winds of Change...without any accompaniment....sent chills down my spine.

d-day
06-01-2006, 03:39 PM

nice post budd - one thing that really impressed me about the beatles was the way they would interweave minor and major chord transitions together - you could here this in songs as early as 1964 with "things we said today" - "i'll be back" is a perfect example of this type of writing - list goes on - like em' or not, the beatles were phenomenal song writers

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-01-2006, 03:40 PM
beatles before revolver=yuck

Phins28
06-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Judas Priest
Helloween
Mägo de Oz

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 03:43 PM

eh I guess you have to be a musician to really understand it

Buddwalk
06-01-2006, 03:44 PM
nice post budd - one thing that really impressed me about the beatles was the way they would interweave minor and major chord transitions together - you could here this in songs as early as 1964 with "things we said today" - "i'll be back" is a perfect example of this type of writing - list goes on - like em' or not, the beatles were phenomenal song writers

definitely bro....Another reason why im such a huge fan of randy rhoads

When you listen to the chords he chose for the rhythm and you listen to how perfectly the solo fits in with the chords...its just great...Its like listening to a story unfold

Same goes for alot of early metallica they really had a shot to be something great but that went down hill after cliff died

d-day
06-01-2006, 03:48 PM

When you listen to the chords he chose for the rhythm and you listen to how perfectly the solo fits in with the chords...its just great...Its like listening to a story unfold

Same goes for alot of early metallica they really had a shot to be something great but that went down hill after cliff died

i liked randy's playing for so many reasons - it was uncanny how he played with both speed and feeling - if you listen closely, you will hear how he played each solo 3 times and layered them overtop each other together - it made for a real big over-the-top sound

Roman529
06-01-2006, 03:51 PM

I was going to ASU and living in Phoenix when Jason Newsted was with Flotsam and Jetsem, before he joined Metallica.....I saw him playing in a lot of small college bars.....he was good but he was not Cliff.

Buddwalk
06-01-2006, 03:51 PM
i liked randy's playing for so many reasons - it was uncanny how he played with both speed and feeling - if you listen closely, you will hear how he played each solo 3 times and layered them overtop each other together - it made for a real big over-the-top sound

Yup perfect example was over the mountain

The emotion randy put in to it was untappable, same with jimi and a handful of other players. Its also not just the emotion its simply that they made it look so easy

Buddwalk
06-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I was going to ASU and living in Phoenix when Jason Newsted was with Flotsam and Jetsem, before he joined Metallica.....I saw him playing in a lot of small college bars.....he was good but he was not Cliff.

Metallica had an aggresiveness, they really wanted to make great music when cliff was there but after he died they just put out records because they could, because there fans were loyal and would buy any garbage they put out. Sad to say metallica died after cliff...they did a nice album with the black album...but that was there last chance at glory in my book

Another example fade to black = best metallica song written

Why some may ask? Not because it was the hardest which it wasnt, or the loudest which it wasnt. It was just a metal symphony the way it was brought together. Thats the metallica I miss...and unfortunately is gone

Philter25
06-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Blink 182 > everything else.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-01-2006, 03:55 PM
and justice for all is amazing. much better than the black album, which was their most commercial album to date.

Roman529
06-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Metallica had an aggresiveness, they really wanted to make great music when cliff was there but after he died they just put out records because they could, because there fans were loyal and would buy any garbage they put out. Sad to say metallica died after cliff...they did a nice album with the black album...but that was there last chance at glory in my book

Another example fade to black = best metallica song written

Why some may ask? Not because it was the hardest which it wasnt, or the loudest which it wasnt. It was just a metal symphony the way it was brought together. Thats the metallica I miss...and unfortunately is gone

Buddwalk
06-01-2006, 03:58 PM
and justice for all is amazing. much better than the black album, which was their most commercial album to date.

Definitely a great album...with songs like One, Harvester of Sorrow, To live is to Die, ect.

My favorite is ride the lightning though...Fight fire with fire, Ride the lightning, Fade to Black, For whom the bell tolls, Creeping Death, Call of Ktulu...Everysong on that album is amazing

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-01-2006, 04:00 PM
and yet you forgot to mention the best song, trapped under ice. :D although Escape is....yeah, pretty bad.

In_Flames
06-01-2006, 04:00 PM
And Justice For All... was definitely my favorite Metallica album as well...

FLOUNDER
06-01-2006, 04:09 PM
1. The Eagles.
2. Metallica
3. Bob Segar and the silver bullet band
4. Jimi Hendrix Experiance
5. The Doors

Shula Come Back!
06-01-2006, 05:36 PM
1. Led Zeppelin
2. Pearl Jam
3. Metallica
4. Alice in Chains
5. Radiohead

This is way too hard to list only 5, but these are the top 5 that come off of the top of my head first!

ricky williams
06-01-2006, 05:54 PM
impossible to say because my taste in music changes so much.

the 2 constants through my entire music life have been

bob marley
beatles(i love the anthology) more bands should release stuff like this when there just screwing around and you get to hear cool out takes. this is why bands should have high quality recordings of all their practices. "we improve w/ time like a fine wine really. i'd put us down as a bougelay 62."

Coral Reefer
06-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Pink Floyd

Jimmy Buffet

ELO

U2

Brooks and Dunn

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Pink Floyd

Jimmy Buffet

ELO

U2

Brooks and Dunn

ELO is VERY underrated...good band

themole
06-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Merle Haggard & The Strangers

EmmyLou Harris & The Hot Band

Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band

Credence Clearwater Revival / John Fogerty & the Blue Ridge Rangers

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Gram Parsons & The Flying Burritto Brothers

kud
06-01-2006, 07:25 PM
5 thats tough..

1. Deftones
2. Sublime
3. Mudvayne
4. Marilyn Manson
5. Factory 81

unifiedtheory
06-01-2006, 08:02 PM
TOOL
Alice in Chains
Faith No More
Iron Maiden
A Pefect Circle

Fin Fan in Cali
06-01-2006, 08:51 PM
2nd best five would be

Judas Priest

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band

Nonpoint

The Fabulous Thunderbirds

Sammy Hagar & The Waboritas

AirFishOne
06-01-2006, 09:49 PM
1. The Metal Militia themselves...Metallica :D (I could give less of a crap what other people think)

2. The Eagles

3. Queen

4. Guns n Roses

5. Creed (im srry they are just a great band with a great sound, to bad Stapp's ego is bigger than Ronnie Brown's biceps :D)

sdotbailey
06-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Journey
Foreigner
Boston
The Pet Shop Boys
Wham

HA! Just kidding, seriously.

Zeppelin
White Stripes (sorry, Jack White is probably the best guitar played alive right now)
The Roots
Outkast
The Doors

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Journey
Foreigner
Boston
The Pet Shop Boys
Wham

HA! Just kidding, seriously.

Zeppelin
White Stripes (sorry, Jack White is probably the best guitar played alive right now)
The Roots
Outkast
The Doors

Boston and Foreigner are awesome

TJamesW_phinfan
06-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Hard to narrow it down but here goes...

Boston
AC/DC
KISS
Van Halen (including the Hagar years)
Molly Hatchet

themole
06-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Hard to narrow it down but here goes...

Boston
AC/DC
KISS
Van Halen (including the Hagar years)
Molly Hatchet

Molly Hatchet: Nice to see another Nth Fl. Arse kickin band in here.

TJamesW_phinfan
06-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Molly Hatchet: Nice to see another Nth Fl. Arse kickin band in here.

I saw them live in a small club many years ago and was hooked. I saw them a few more times over the years and was never dissapointed. I have a few of their albums which are very good but live is where they really shine. :)

GRT8
06-01-2006, 11:52 PM
1. pearl jam
2. led zeplin
my top two

sdotbailey
06-02-2006, 01:24 AM
while those bands (Journey, Boston) are pretty cool, they aren't in my top five. I do rock out to one Boston song on my iPod all the time though, - It's been such a long time. The intro with the guitar is bad ***

JPhinfan86
06-02-2006, 05:33 AM
In no particular order: Stevie Ray Vaughan (solo and with Double Trouble), Godsmack, Chevelle, System Of A Down and Rage Against The Machine.

JPhinfan86
06-02-2006, 05:35 AM
:roflmao: Look at the "Age" tags and then look at the favorites picked. What an indicator eh? Definitely in one of my TOP TWO spots is Stevie Ray Vaughan and that's about as far back as I go. He is the King. SOUL 2 SOUL!!!!!

themole
06-02-2006, 10:00 AM
:roflmao: Look at the "Age" tags and then look at the favorites picked. What an indicator eh? Definitely in one of my TOP TWO spots is Stevie Ray Vaughan and that's about as far back as I go. He is the King. SOUL 2 SOUL!!!!!

Yea...I know. Back in the day Don McClean sang a song called Bye Bye Miss American Pie. It was about the day the music died(Buddy Holly). He was prophetic IMO, to say the least music has changed a great deal. The talk was always about a new artist being "progressive" sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes not so good. progressiveness actually killed an entire genre of music we called "soul". To me, I enjoyed the soul music more than any. I'm talking about Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wison, Fats Domino, Areatha Franklin, ect. Now the progressiveness has work its magic on the "White Soul" music performed by the likes of greats like EmmyLou Harris, Byrds, ect. You can still find a little of it in the music of Dwight Yocum, Allen Jackson and of course Merle Haggard. I prefer acoustical. I like to hear every note of music of each instrument, along with good vocals matching the music. I also like it from a turntable, pumped through 400 watts rms per "Crown" channel into 4 Altec lansing 15" biflex Santana speakers.

ILPhinFan88
06-02-2006, 11:45 AM
1.) LYNYRD SKYNYRD

2. ) STRANGER

3.) Stevie Ray Vaughan

4. ) Kenny Wayne Shepherd

5. ) Kenny Chesney / Aerosmith

Van Halen as well..................sorry I'm an old rocker

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/629/rocketclubwince9up.jpg (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://imageshack.us/)
STRANGER ... Florida Rock & Roll

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4449/halloffame0ht.png (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://imageshack.us/)
LYNYRD SKYNYRD

www.dolfanstan.com (http://www.dolfanstan.com) :wink:

I've seen Kenney Chesney in concert with Kieth Urban, it was pretty good. Kenney came on stage with AC/DC Back in Black playing, played alot of rock music. He said that was the music he grew up on. Kieth said being from Australia he was raised on AC/DC, and he can jam on a guitar.

I went to the concert as an anniversary gift for my wife, and came away actually enjoying it. The only country I listen to is Hank Jr. and Charlie Daniels. We had OK seats about the middle and they put a light tower right in front of our seats so they relocated us to the front row. My wife was on cloud 9.

themole
06-02-2006, 03:13 PM
I've seen Kenney Chesney in concert with Kieth Urban, it was pretty good. Kenney came on stage with AC/DC Back in Black playing, played alot of rock music. He said that was the music he grew up on. Kieth said being from Australia he was raised on AC/DC, and he can jam on a guitar.

I went to the concert as an anniversary gift for my wife, and came away actually enjoying it. The only country I listen to is Hank Jr. and Charlie Daniels. We had OK seats about the middle and they put a light tower right in front of our seats so they relocated us to the front row. My wife was on cloud 9.

Kieth Urban, also was/is influenced by John Fogerty of CCR. I'm not a big fan of the cookie cutter music coming from Nashville either.

Alabama, Hank Jr., CDB, and many of the so called "outlaw" or "Rock A Billy" groups recorded from MuscleShoals Studios in Ala.

These are the groups that kept the early R&R licks incorperated into their music and were able to "Crossover" into the (at the time) current R&R listeners.

Their is good music to found across the spectrum. I was watching a movie a few nights ago and heard a song that caught my attention. I really like it. I read the credits at the end of the movie to find out who the group was and it was "Nervana" sp?. Believe me, I have NEVER considered listening to anything by them because I had them prejudged. Music lovers can't afford to do that. They will miss out on to much good music.

Pagan
06-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Believe me, I have NEVER considered listening to anything by them because I had them prejudged. Music lovers can't afford to do that. They will miss out on to much good music.
That's a great attitude to have, Mole! :up:

cmax13
06-02-2006, 03:43 PM
there are some great bands out now, but when i was starting along my musical path, there were six great bands. my favorites were and still are:

Pink Floyd
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Yes
Deep Purple
Led Zepplin
Black Sabbath

Somebody already made the age comment, and it shows by people's favorites.

dQbell
06-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen
KISS
Creedance Clearwater Revival
Van Halen
The Robert Cray Band

There's too many great bands, but that's the ones that I'll run with for now.

themole
06-02-2006, 04:19 PM
That's a great attitude to have, Mole! :up:

Pagan, I have found myself being guilty of this far to much. I'm a traditionalist, and at times that's hard to overcome.

I don't know if you saw the Ronnie Brown video that was linked to Youtube Video but the music to it was just AWESOME. It was performed by the New York City Resurrection Chior. The song was an old spiritual about the Hurricane that brought death and destruction to Galveston Bay in the early 1900s, titled "Wasn't that a big ole storm in the water". If you haven't seen it try this:www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnfx-gJh_M&search=ronnie%20brown

Click on the one by Turbervillefan if that doesn't take you right to it.

Pagan
06-02-2006, 04:24 PM
I'll have to look at it when I get home bro...no speakers here at work! :lol:

Roman529
06-02-2006, 05:46 PM

Yeah Stevie Ray Vaughan is/was the man. He died way too soon. :boohoo:

lazareth
06-02-2006, 09:15 PM
damn i hate these threads, so i usually don't post in them...

i say this because it is almost impossible for me to be limited to five:
i like rock, hard rock, metal, classic rock, punk, some rap, blues, a little hank williams jr. (pre-are you ready for some football), old alternative, new alternative, many old soul songs, anything acoustic, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum...

pretty much as new music has come out over the years, i have found a lot to listen to that i like

i stay out of most musical debates because i find them limiting...as most arguments where people try and make everything just black/white rocks/sucks...yada, yada, yada

so just about every band mentioned by everyone in this thread has a good chance of making my all-time list

ok, anyone still reading this drivel??? does anyone even care... :lol:

anywho, ill finish by naming a band that no one has named yet (unless i missed it or they put it out there before i finish typing this monster)

STYX

N-A
06-03-2006, 12:44 AM
1. GNR
2. Incubus
3. Public Enemy
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Smashing Pumpkins

Honorable Mention: Marvin Gaye, Turbonegro

BrazForPhins
06-03-2006, 01:24 AM
I'm too ecletic to try and do it, but whatever.. :D
I know these are not greatest bands ever, but it's my personnal top 5

1 Oasis
2 Thabita's Secret (became Matchbox20)
3 Green Day
4 Skank (a brazilian band)
5 Nirvana

JPhinfan86
06-03-2006, 03:22 AM
2. Incubus

I have Incubus' album "Make Yourself" but I don't listen to it all that much and haven't been otherwise motivated to seek their new stuff. I will say that one track off of that album has made a fantastic song to play on Guitar Hero. The song "Stellar" by Incubus on Medium is a blast to play. Quick fingers...good stuff. :up: The reason I say Medium is because the notes are arranged way different on Hard and the pattern isn't as fun. My best on Hard is 99%. :lol:

unifiedtheory
06-03-2006, 03:41 AM
I have Incubus' album "Make Yourself" but I don't listen to it all that much and haven't been otherwise motivated to seek their new stuff. I will say that one track off of that album has made a fantastic song to play on Guitar Hero. The song "Stellar" by Incubus on Medium is a blast to play. Quick fingers...good stuff. :up: The reason I say Medium is because the notes are arranged way different on Hard and the pattern isn't as fun. My best on Hard is 99%. :lol:

Do yourself a favour...

Go buy "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." by Incubus. A very, VERY good record. Easily their best work.

JPhinfan86
06-03-2006, 03:43 AM
Wow U.T. , from some of the other threads I never really would have guessed you to be a fan of Incubus. That's cool and I seriously will be seeking that album. Rock on.

unifiedtheory
06-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Wow U.T. , from some of the other threads I never really would have guessed you to be a fan of Incubus. That's cool and I seriously will be seeking that album. Rock on.

I loved "S.C.I.E.N.C.E" and "Make Yourself" had some good stuff on it but, they got famous and decided to write ballads after that...LOL!

I'm really hoping they "regress" to their earlier form at some point and get back to writing good music instead of trying to get radio play.

N-A
06-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Their (Incubus) live show is one of the best I've seen, ballads included. Speaking of live shows, The International Noise Conspiracy and Rocket From The Crypt are tied for best live bands I've ever seen.

Edit: And, I forgot to include Avenged Sevenfold in my list of 5 or 8 favorite bands.

unifiedtheory
06-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Their (Incubus) live show is one of the best I've seen, ballads included. Speaking of live shows, The International Noise Conspiracy and Rocket From The Crypt are tied for best live bands I've ever seen.

Edit: And, I forgot to include Avenged Sevenfold in my list of 5 or 8 favorite bands.

Hi Simon...:wink:

SkapePhin
06-03-2006, 12:34 PM
In no particular order:

-Hum
-Pavement
-Beatles
-Decemberists
-Bob Marley and the Wailers

Metal Panda
06-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Do yourself a favour...

Go buy "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." by Incubus. A very, VERY good record. Easily their best work.

I agree that S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is a good album, but nothing mindblowing. "New Skin" rocks though.

I could tell their vocalist likes Mike Patton though. which isn't a bad thing by any means, I loved Faith No More and I love Mr. Bungle

N-A
06-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi Simon...:wink:
Que paso, Mike! I'm heading out to Vancouver in a couple weeks to pick up a new bike. PM me your phone number and I'll try to hook up with you for some beers.

unifiedtheory
06-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Que paso, Mike! I'm heading out to Vancouver in a couple weeks to pick up a new bike. PM me your phone number and I'll try to hook up with you for some beers.

Done!

unifiedtheory
06-03-2006, 01:48 PM
I agree that S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is a good album, but nothing mindblowing. "New Skin" rocks though.

I could tell their vocalist likes Mike Patton though. which isn't a bad thing by any means, I loved Faith No More and I love Mr. Bungle
Well, I might have gotten too excited about the record but, it is damn good in my opinion, better then anything else they did...

I'm glad someone else noticed the "Mike Patton influence", especially on that record. That is what got me onto Incubus...to me they were like a supstitute for Faith No More.

New Skin is a GREAT ****ing song.

I love Faith No More. They are an odd band. got big really early but went on to produce their best work after they got big and people forgot about them. "King for a Day..." and "Album of the Year" were their best records (in my opinion) yet no one even noticed.

1crazy_finfan
06-03-2006, 01:55 PM
It's too hard to narrow it down to 5, but here goes
1. Metallica
2. Korn
3. Mudvayne
4. Led Zepplin
5. The Eagles

Honorable mentions:
White Zombie
Pantera
Pink Floyd
Van Halen

d-day
06-03-2006, 02:35 PM
I love Faith No More. They are an odd band. got big really early but went on to produce their best work after they got big and people forgot about them. "King for a Day..." and "Album of the Year" were their best records (in my opinion) yet no one even noticed.

all my friends are angel dust fans and rightfully so - i always liked king for a day - probably because i'm such a mr bungle fan and that was the record they borrowed trey spruance after jim martin left

Metal Panda
06-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Well, I might have gotten too excited about the record but, it is damn good in my opinion, better then anything else they did...

I'm glad someone else noticed the "Mike Patton influence", especially on that record. That is what got me onto Incubus...to me they were like a supstitute for Faith No More.

New Skin is a GREAT ****ing song.

My favorites are Angel Dust, The Real Thing, and King for a DAy. Album of the Year was half stellar, half bleh, to my ears.

Angel Dust has an odd depressive vibe to it. at one point after buying it, when I was on anti-depressants, I couldn't listen to it for that reason :)

Metal Panda
06-03-2006, 05:18 PM
all my friends are angel dust fans and rightfully so - i always liked king for a day - probably because i'm such a mr bungle fan and that was the record they borrowed trey spruance after jim martin left

King for a Day is great.

Very eclectic.

d-day
06-03-2006, 05:20 PM
i tivo'ed mike patton's new band peeping tom last week on conan... outstanding

d-day
06-03-2006, 05:21 PM
King for a Day is great.

Very eclectic.

trippy how different all 4 albums are - lot of line-up changes though with each album and it showed

In_Flames
06-03-2006, 05:22 PM
I too am a fan of Mike Patton, although his brief work with Dillenger Escape Plan on the Irony Is a Dead Scene EP was out right horrible IMO...:shakeno:

d-day
06-03-2006, 05:24 PM
I too am a fan of Mike Patton, although his brief work with Dillenger Escape Plan on the Irony Is a Dead Scene EP was out right horrible IMO...:shakeno:

that just comes down to a taste thing - i loved the cd - but then i will admit i'm a big mike patton homer

d-day
06-03-2006, 05:25 PM
:lol: - thanks for mentioning irony is a dead scene though in flames, i just put on hollywood squares... :wink:

In_Flames
06-03-2006, 05:26 PM
:lol: - thanks for mentioning irony is a dead scene though in flames, i just put on hollywood squares... :wink:

:wink:

Metal Panda
06-03-2006, 05:26 PM
I still never heard the Patton-DEP collab. I loved Dillinger Escape Plan's Calculating Infinity...I saw them on that tour too.

d-day
06-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I still never heard the Patton-DEP collab. I loved Dillinger Escape Plan's Calculating Infinity...I saw them on that tour too.

it's a little out there but it's classic mike patton - just 4 songs but worth it for any mike p fan especially the song pig latin...

In_Flames
06-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Im not a DEP fan, so it may have had something to do with my dislike towards that EP. :tongue:

speaking of Mike, for some reason I was watching Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey the other day and heard Faith No More's perfect crime....ahhhh the memories...:D

Rocky Raccoon
06-03-2006, 05:32 PM
hey d-day...are there any bands that you DON'T like? :confused:

d-day
06-03-2006, 05:35 PM
hey d-day...are there any bands that you DON'T like? :confused:

:lol: - not really rocky - i like to keep my world as big as possible

unifiedtheory
06-03-2006, 06:25 PM
i tivo'ed mike patton's new band peeping tom last week on conan... outstanding

Just picked up the CD this afternoon...I'm gonna throw it on after I have a nap...LOL!

d-day
06-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Just picked up the CD this afternoon...I'm gonna throw it on after I have a nap...LOL!

:lol: - i'd need a nap too before i listened to that one... come back and tell me all about it - i'm sure it'll take you to all the places you wanna go... :wink:

lazareth
06-03-2006, 09:51 PM
:lol: - not really rocky - i like to keep my world as big as possible

:yeahthat: :hi5:

Slappy8800
06-03-2006, 10:00 PM
ac/dc
guns and roses
queen
foo fighters

Celtkin
06-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Lynard Skynard
Styx
Kansas
Rush
Yes

unifiedtheory
06-04-2006, 12:36 AM
:lol: - i'd need a nap too before i listened to that one... come back and tell me all about it - i'm sure it'll take you to all the places you wanna go... :wink:

It's an....interesting album...:lol:

It's certainly Michael Patton.

Coral Reefer
06-04-2006, 02:03 AM
I forgot one of my all time favorites in my original post.....

Carlos Santana

The man deserves mention in this thread.

icephinfan
06-04-2006, 02:08 AM
1. Rage Against The Machine
2. Motley Crue
3. The Beach Boys
4. BODYCOUNT
5. THE DOORS

Metal Panda
06-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Mine (not necessarily in ranked order)

1. Pain of Salvation
2. Slayer
3. Immolation
4. Blind Guardian
5. Bad Religion

but honestly I think there's a 153-way tie for 5th.

unifiedtheory
06-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Mine (not necessarily in ranked order)

1. Pain of Salvation
2. Slayer
3. Immolation
4. Blind Guardian
5. Bad Religion

but honestly I think there's a 153-way tie for 5th.:sidelol:

Dolfan81
06-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Linkin Park
Three Days Grace
Mudvayne
Avenged Sevenfold
Smile Empty Soul

Smoke
06-20-2006, 05:59 PM
1) Rage Against The Machine
2) Jimi Hendrix
3) CCR
4) Aerosmith
5) The Who

Daunte Rules
06-20-2006, 06:05 PM
1. Green Day
2. ACDC
3. Sum 41
4. Saliva
5. System of a Down

like2god
06-20-2006, 06:23 PM
1. Marilyn Manson
2. Nine Inch Nails
3. Slayer
4. David Bowie
5. Rasputina

Honorable mention:

Guns n Roses
Megadeth
The Beatles
Johnny Cash
Type O Negative
Van Halen
ACDC
Ozzy
Black Sabbath
Danzig
David Lee Roth
Rob Zombie
White Zombie
Tool
Nirvana
Hole
Alice in Chains
Old Metallica (Load and everything after it sucked)
System of a Down
ZZ Top
Meshuggah
Napalm Death
Skold
Lacuna Coil
Aerosmith
The Doors
Pantera

bg34
06-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Godsmack
Metallica
Dave Matthews Band
Our Lady Peace
Live

EBMisfit
06-20-2006, 09:47 PM
1) Pink Floyd
2) Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul
3) Big Audio Dynamite
4) Tom Tom Club
5) Aerosmith

Though I doubt 2-4 will appear on anyone else's list.:goof:

Most overrated band of all time: Beatles. Don't get me wrong- they're one of my favorite bands. But when four of their albums appear in the top 10 on Rolling Stone's list of 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time/), something's seriously out of whack. One, maybe two, might be reasonable, but four? Gimme a break.

like2god
06-20-2006, 09:54 PM
1) Pink Floyd
3) Big Audio Dynamite
4) Tom Tom Club
5) Aerosmith

Most overrated band of all time: Beatles. Don't get me wrong- they're one of my favorite bands. But when four of their albums appear in the top 10 on Rolling Stone's list of 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time/), something's seriously out of whack. One, maybe two, might be reasonable, but four? Gimme a break.

Or maybe that just means that Rolling Stone's all time lists are overreated. :tongue:

Rocky Raccoon
06-20-2006, 09:55 PM
1) Pink Floyd
3) Big Audio Dynamite
4) Tom Tom Club
5) Aerosmith

:nono:

Buddwalk
06-20-2006, 10:02 PM
:nono:

dont worry bro beatles are top 5 in my book any day of the week :wink: :wink: :wink:

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Metallica
3. Ozzy and Randy Rhoads
4. Beatles
5. Jimi Hendrix

dolfan_101
06-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Led Zeppelin
Van Halen
Queen
The Doors
Ac/Dc

EBMisfit
06-20-2006, 10:45 PM
dont worry bro beatles are top 5 in my book any day of the weekI didn't question whether they were good (I even said I like them), but whether they deserved to have 4 of their albums listed in the top 10 of all times.

JPhinfan86
06-21-2006, 04:52 AM
Linkin Park
Three Days Grace
Mudvayne
Avenged Sevenfold
Smile Empty Soul
It's really odd that I saw them posted just now. I actually have the song "Just Like You" stuck in my head right now. :lol: I got their first, self-titled, album yesterday and am going to copy their newest one from a friend tomorrow.

I like these guys a little bit but at times hear alot of Nickelback-esque cords in their music. You know how a band has a style they use repeatedly? Well that's what I've heard throughout this CD. Maybe it'll grow on me more. :dunno:

Static387
06-21-2006, 12:23 PM
New Rock

1) Alice In Chains
2) Pearl Jam
3) Stone Temple Pilots
4) Mad Season
5) 311

Classic Rock

1) Led Zepplin
2) Rush
3) ZZ Top
4) Boston
5) Aerosmith

(Pearl Jam Pittsburgh show 6/23!!):mdfin::band::rockon:

Link
06-24-2006, 10:54 PM
1. Crush 40
1. Hardline
1. Axel Rudi Pell
I can't choose between those three. They all have Johnny Gioeli as their lead singer and he is in my opinion the best of the best.

4. Bon Jovi
5. Linkin Park

ratm1
06-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Bad Religion
Minor Threat
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rage Against The Machine
Black Flag

Metal Panda
06-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Bad Religion
Minor Threat
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rage Against The Machine
Black Flag

not into RATM, but Minor Threat was great, and I like Black Flag's Damaged.

RHCP were cool in the old days, and I worship Bad REligion. they always put on a great show. I thought The Process of Belief was their best album in years, and The Empire Strikes First was solid too.

JetsFanInSec124
06-25-2006, 01:50 PM
I have a couple of different music likes:

1. Blink 182
2. Third Eye Blind
3. Sum 41
4. Guns N Roses
5. Rascal Flatts

CharlestonPhan
06-25-2006, 03:23 PM

1. Iron Maiden
2. Symphony X
3. Saxon
4. Judas Priest
5. Dio

Butthead: Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhh, It's like, you can say what you want about Maiden, but when it comes to making videos, those guys like, don't screw around.

Beavis: Hhmmm, Hmmmm, yeah, they don't screw around!

:rawk:

Pagan
06-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Butthead: Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhh, It's like, you can say what you want about Maiden, but when it comes to making videos, those guys like, don't screw around.

Beavis: Hhmmm, Hmmmm, yeah, they don't screw around!

:rawk:
Damn Skippy....:lol:

And this one (http://youtube.com/watch?v=V7EtiD8emXA&search=Stranger%20In%20A%20Strange%20Land) is my favorite. :evil:

NJFINSFAN1
06-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Again, I'm backing out on this one, I just like to many bands and songs to narrow it down to 5.

If I had to do it, my top 5 would be different every day.

HansMojo
06-25-2006, 11:23 PM
I'd have to go with:

Rush
Pink Floyd
Journey
Dokken
Boston