PDA

View Full Version : Tom Petty Considering Suing Chili Peppers

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 04:30 PM
http://q1043.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=104649&article=503919

inFINSible
06-01-2006, 05:45 PM
I have never once thought of "Last dance with Mary Jane" while hearing " Dani California."

/me is ready to be a witness

DolphinDevil28
06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
The Peppers should file a counter suit for Tom Petty sucking compared to them.

lazareth
06-01-2006, 05:49 PM
I have never once thought of "Last dance with Mary Jane" while hearing " Dani California."

/me is ready to be a witness
:yeahthat:

lazareth
06-01-2006, 05:49 PM

/me is ready to be a witness :lol: did you edit your post?

EDIT: nm, that's funny...i didn't know the irc slash me thing worked in here

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 05:50 PM

Tom Petty > RHCP

though it's close

Muck
06-01-2006, 05:58 PM
What a joke. I've never once thought about that.

<--------wonders how much money Petty's label paid to make him the official soundtrack of the 2006 Eastern Conference finals.

DolphinDevil28
06-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Tom Petty > RHCP

though it's close

:jawdrop:

SkapePhin
06-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Bob Dylan should sue Tom Petty for being a cheap version of himself.

Roman529
06-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Dani California doesn't sound anything like Mary Jane's last dance...wasn't that the one with Kim Basinger in the video? You are right about Tom being a poor man's Bob Dylan.

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Dani California doesn't sound anything like Mary Jane's last dance...wasn't that the one with Kim Basinger in the video? You are right about Tom being a poor man's Bob Dylan.

it does sound like it a little bit

Samphin
06-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Actually, I never thought about it untl right now, but the opening riff does sound pretty similar. I don't know if it is enough to sue over though...

Roman529
06-01-2006, 07:03 PM
it does sound like it a little bit

I'll have to listen to them both. I like the Dani California video...I hope to see the Peppers in Denver this August.

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 07:09 PM
I'll have to listen to them both. I like the Dani California video...I hope to see the Peppers in Denver this August.

yea I listened to them back to back on itunes and you can hear the similarity

GreenMonster
06-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Since Rick Rubin produced both, shouldn't he be the one they are talking too..

Muck
06-01-2006, 10:31 PM
The only similarity lies during the verses. Could be incidental (which is my opinion). But ****, is that enough to SUE?? Rather petty if you ask me.

Oh I just made a funny.

Muck
06-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Bob Dylan should sue Tom Petty for being a cheap version of himself.

:yeahthat:

Rocky Raccoon
06-01-2006, 10:32 PM
The only similarity lies during the verses. Could be incidental (which is my opinion). But ****, is that enough to SUE?? Rather petty if you ask me.

Oh I just made a funny.

:sidelol:

Samphin
06-01-2006, 10:47 PM

Oh I just made a funny.

No you didn't...:mad:

:lol:

DonShula84
06-02-2006, 01:08 AM

They'd lose that suit. Though I'm a big fan of both

And I dont really see the similarities in the two songs. But I'll listen to them again w/ this in mind.

inFINSible
06-02-2006, 07:30 AM
:lol: did you edit your post?

EDIT: nm, that's funny...i didn't know the irc slash me thing worked in here
Mindwarp added that last week. :)

DrAstroZoom
06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
The thing that makes me go hmmmm ... is not just that the quasi-folksy rap verse is similar, but that they're in the SAME KEY. That said, I wouldn't call it plagiarism ... if anything, a bit of laziness on the part of Rubin.

Also, the RHCP have done quite a few songs lately that have the same folksy rap verse hook. Their label should sue them ala John Fogerty.

DrAstroZoom
07-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Just a post script here ...

Scroll down this page (http://www.ezsite.bz/mashup/index.cfm?fa=view_artists) and check out the link marked "RHCP VS PETTY - chilivocalmix"

Martel
07-17-2006, 02:34 PM
I think that EVERY TIME I hear that song. It is a total ripoff and I think Tom has a case here.

Martel
07-17-2006, 02:36 PM

Oh I just made a funny.

Yeah it's in the verses and it's a total bite. I work with the Chili Peppers lawyer, Eric Greenspan, I'll try to get some info on this.

DrAstroZoom
07-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Four measures is, for me, right at the cusp of culpability.

Martel
07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Four measures is, for me, right at the cusp of culpability.

Yeah and it's also the same instrumentation. If they had they same chords but did it with synths or strings or whatever else it wouldn't be so noticeable. But it's very close to the same arrangement. I don't think RHCP did it on purpose necessarily, they are more than capable of writing their own hits, but they have to have noticed that at some point during the recording. Especially with Rubin in there (he is notorious for taking off during sessions though:lol: )

DrAstroZoom
07-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey Stacks, did you give that link a listen?

Martel
07-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Hey Stacks, did you give that link a listen?

I don't even need to. I have been saying that song was a ripoff from the SECOND I heard it. That being said with two artists this successful and well respected I don't see this going to court. You have to understand that there are a few big time lawyers in the music business. Thay make alot of stuff happen and most of them are friends. I think Tom just wants a little recognition because it's so obvious.

Don't be surprised to see them doing a collaboration/medley of these songs on the VMA's or something :lol:

DrAstroZoom
07-17-2006, 03:11 PM
They do sound quite well together.

lazareth
07-17-2006, 03:21 PM
i just find it hard to believe that the chili peppers during the making of a DOUBLE album (like they had to do more than a 10-song album) said to themselves, "you know we have 27 good songs but we need one more--and we need a good single to put on the radio to hook people into buying our album--so why don't we rip off Tom Petty"

Jimmy James
07-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Tom Petty has confirmed he will not be persuing a law suit against Red Hot Chili Peppers for plagiarism.

The Californian band caused a stir of controvery after a US radio DJ revealed similarities between 'Dani California' and Petty's 90's hit 'Mary Jane's Last Dance.

Petty told US magazine Rolling Stone: "The truth is, I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of rock & roll songs sound alike."

"Ask Chuck Berry. The Strokes took ‘American Girl’ [for their song 'Last Nite'], and I saw an interview with them where they actually admitted it. That made me laugh out loud. I was like, "OK, good for you." It doesn’t bother me."

"I don’t believe in lawsuits much. I think there are enough frivolous lawsuits in this country without people fighting over pop songs."

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/307/46/

Tom is a cool guy. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for bashing him. He likely remembers all the trouble his friend George Harrison had over My Sweet Lord.

BTW, I have heard that Petty's song actually sounds more like a Jayhawks (I think) song that came out a few years before Petty's and that all of them have basically the same riff in the same key that Sweet Home Alabama has (which is apparently a song the Peppers cop to being an inspiration for their song).

lazareth
07-17-2006, 03:43 PM

Tom is a cool guy. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for bashing him. He likely remembers all the trouble his friend George Harrison had over My Sweet Lord.

BTW, I have heard that Petty's song actually sounds more like a Jayhawks (I think) song that came out a few years before Petty's and that all of them have basically the same riff in the same key that Sweet Home Alabama has (which is apparently a song the Peppers cop to being an inspiration for their song).
nice post

Majpain
07-17-2006, 03:59 PM
What a joke.

Martel
07-17-2006, 04:17 PM

See - the guy just wanted a little recognition. Now get ready for that VMA performance!!

DrAstroZoom
07-17-2006, 04:18 PM

I love Petty, and I really like RHCP. And it may be a coincidence. But "Last Dance" and "Dani" do share the same chord progression and key, neither of which matches "Sweet Home Alabama." The first two are written in, I believe, A-Minor (within a half-step ... my perfect pitch ain't what it used to be), while the latter is in D-major (again, plus or minus a half step).

Mike13
07-17-2006, 09:47 PM

I like that video too.

Jimmy James
07-17-2006, 10:34 PM
I love Petty, and I really like RHCP. And it may be a coincidence. But "Last Dance" and "Dani" do share the same chord progression and key, neither of which matches "Sweet Home Alabama." The first two are written in, I believe, A-Minor (within a half-step ... my perfect pitch ain't what it used to be), while the latter is in D-major (again, plus or minus a half step).

See -- I know shamefully little for somebody who did take piano lessons and played trumpet in band for a while. Maybe I got it wrong. Let me go back to where I found the information I have shared...

Okay...I have read what I read again. Here's the summary:

Somebody at least claims that Petty's song is Am-G-D while RHCP's is Am-G-Dm (and notes that the RHCP song is all barred chords).

Somebody else indicates that Petty's song sounds very similar to the song Waiting for the Sun, down to chord progression and the same solo strum pattern.

Somebody else says that all of these songs *and* Sweet Home Alabama share a 1-7-4 progression (which is where I get lost).

Those of you who know what you're talking about, how does all of that sound?

dominizzo
07-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Dani California is agreat song!! And Tom Stop being a baby

DrAstroZoom
07-18-2006, 09:14 AM
See -- I know shamefully little for somebody who did take piano lessons and played trumpet in band for a while. Maybe I got it wrong. Let me go back to where I found the information I have shared...

Okay...I have read what I read again. Here's the summary:

Somebody at least claims that Petty's song is Am-G-D while RHCP's is Am-G-Dm (and notes that the RHCP song is all barred chords).

Upon a fresh listen, I will say that this appears correct. The note which makes Petty's third chord major rather than minor is pretty subtle.

Somebody else indicates that Petty's song sounds very similar to the song Waiting for the Sun, down to chord progression and the same solo strum pattern.

I've never heard this one, but I'm going to hunt for it.

Somebody else says that all of these songs *and* Sweet Home Alabama share a 1-7-4 progression (which is where I get lost).

Well yes, kind of. The 1-7-4 progression simply means:

the first chord is in the key the song is written in;
the second chord is a step below that (keeping in mind there are eight notes in a scale); and
the third chord is a fourth above the root chord.

However, "Sweet Home Alabama" is written in a major key, not a minor one, and it's written in a different key altogether at that.

Clear as mud? :tongue:

@@@
07-18-2006, 09:19 AM
/me thinks DrAstroZoom needs to be an expert witness in the case :lol:

DrAstroZoom
07-18-2006, 09:22 AM
/me thinks DrAstroZoom needs to be an expert witness in the case :lol:

Do I get a stipend? If so, I'm all over it! :up:

Jimmy James
07-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Well yes, kind of. The 1-7-4 progression simply means:

the first chord is in the key the song is written in;
the second chord is a step below that (keeping in mind there are eight notes in a scale); and
the third chord is a fourth above the root chord.

However, "Sweet Home Alabama" is written in a major key, not a minor one, and it's written in a different key altogether at that.

Clear as mud? :tongue:

Actually, that's exactly what I was missing in all of this. It makes sense now that I think about the songs in my head, too. I knew when I heard this 1-7-4 thing that I could hear a similarity but something was different. It being a totally different key makes sense.

ETA: I hear Petty's new album (which is apparently coming out soon) borrows liberally from various artists including himself -- there's apparently a song that sounds just like Learning to Fly. The person who has heard the leaked copy indicates it's like playing a game of, "where have I heard that before".