PDA

View Full Version : Who is the 16% that believe Rick S will do better????

ptmn
06-01-2006, 08:01 PM
I would like to hear an arguement for Rick S doing better with the Vikings. He was horrendous here and did a horrendous job with ESPN DRAFT. Every evaluation just seemed to be weird or inaccurate, IMO. I don't see how he could do better, but I'm also curious to see why a small percent believe he will do better. I expected the voting when i first saw it to be like 95% to 5% but 16% shocks me.

indifin
06-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Its not me.

TotoreMexico
06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
:confused2

elite14eva
06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
surely not me.

GEORGIA FIN
06-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Sure as hell isn't me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

igor79
06-01-2006, 08:07 PM
I am one of them. Rick Speilman was a good scout. He had one bad year as a GM, and although it was a horrible year, I just dont think he could possibly be that bad again. Remember he didnt want to take Jamar Fletcher. I always was a fan of his untill his last year.

KingCrowder
06-01-2006, 08:10 PM
I voted that i think Rick S. will do better. He does have a great eye for talent. A lot of you people don't realize that most of the players he wanted to draft are doing pretty good right now. but Wanstadt had final say on all draft picks. Plus he is not being told that he has one year to make it work this time. so he won't be making trades out of desperation.

ptmn
06-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I am one of them. Rick Speilman was a good scout. He had one bad year as a GM, and although it was a horrible year, I just dont think he could possibly be that bad again. Remember he didnt want to take Jamar Fletcher. I always was a fan of his untill his last year.

ONE???? hahahhaha wow i guess just a difference of opinion. :sidelol: Do you not remember our QB situation over the past few years.

armyfinfan
06-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I also think he will do better. How could he do any worse.

Miamifin23
06-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm another one man. You tell me how he can do much worse then we'll talk. Trading our 2nd and 3rd round picks for Lamar Gordon and AJ Feely was about as horrific as I've seen before. He'll never do that again, so I think he'll do better. I didn't say he'll do a great job, but he won't make a stupid mistake like he did in Miami with those picks.

TheAnswer385
06-01-2006, 08:12 PM
i am 1.....

KingCrowder
06-01-2006, 08:13 PM

exactly he wanted to address the QB situation and take Drew Brees. had that of happened the whole Feeley fiasco wouldn't have went down.

jason8er
06-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I would like to hear an arguement for Rick S doing better with the Vikings. He was horrendous here and did a horrendous job with ESPN DRAFT. Every evaluation just seemed to be weird or inaccurate, IMO. I don't see how he could do better, but I'm also curious to see why a small percent believe he will do better. I expected the voting when i first saw it to be like 95% to 5% but 16% shocks me.
I'm one of the 16%. While my posting history has been anything but kind to Spielman, I think he'll do better in Minny simply because the other half of the dumb and dumber duo won't be there to override an occasional good decision.

KingCrowder
ONE???? hahahhaha wow i guess just a difference of opinion. :sidelol: Do you not remember our QB situation over the past few years.

Do you not remember he didn't pick any of those QBs

igor79

he was only the GM for one year. Dave was the one who turned down Hasselbeck and didn't draft Brees. It's not like we had a whole lot of options.

PhinGeneral
06-01-2006, 08:19 PM
I voted that i think Rick S. will do better. He does have a great eye for talent. A lot of you people don't realize that most of the players he wanted to draft are doing pretty good right now. but Wanstadt had final say on all draft picks. Plus he is not being told that he has one year to make it work this time. so he won't be making trades out of desperation.

For the most part I agree. Wannstadt was the one calling the shots, especially on the premium picks. However, Spielman still didn't fare that well when it came to finding depth and mid to late round talent with the notable exception of O-Gun. You can't blame Wannstadt for choosing the wrong guy practially all of the time.

As long as Spielman isn't making trades, he may do allright for Minnesota. Even making trades out of desperation is no excuse for being conned into giving a 2nd for Feeley when no one else was going to go near that high or surrendering a 4th rounder by being conned into thinking someone was about to snatch Vernon Carey.

Lazy1
06-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Some people would vote that he can do better solely on the idea that he cant do much worse.

Adam First
06-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Some people would vote that he can do better solely on the idea that he cant do much worse.

Exactly.

I can say i'm not one of them.

dm416
06-01-2006, 08:24 PM

Thats how I voted.

TotoreMexico
06-01-2006, 08:24 PM

Agreed!

CRAZYDOLFAN305
06-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Me..

PogiRo
06-01-2006, 08:50 PM
I woulda voted that Spielman would do a worse job in Minny just simply cuz I think of him as just negative. A better question would be if he's going to do a great/good/bad/horrible job in Minny. So I voted he'll do a better job because it makes sense he can't do worse, but he's not gonna do well I think.

ATS16
06-01-2006, 08:51 PM

After reading your evaluation of his performance here I don't see how you think he could do worse. That off season he took over was one of the worse in NFL history. Things beyond his control like Boston's Knee and Ricky's retirement doomed him into trying to save Wanny's job. In retrospect his decisions at Miami turned out pretty bad. I wouldn't hire him but honestly how could he do worse?

ojmcduffy
06-01-2006, 08:54 PM
does it matter obviously the man is an idiot

Shabbity
06-01-2006, 09:12 PM
does it matter obviously the man is an idiot

:shakeno:

late again
06-01-2006, 09:21 PM
You can't blame Wannstadt for choosing the wrong guy practially all of the time..

Why not? I think he may have set a record in Chicago for drafting more busts than any other coach in history.:lol:

Ol' Saint Nick
06-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Saban is the one who got rid of Spielly.

Saban is also the one who took this 4-12 trash and turned it into a 9-7 possible Superbowl contender with the moves he made this offseason.

Who are those to question Saban? Any 16% here?

MDFINFAN
06-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Bottom line if RS had been GM the whole time, we would have had Brees and Boldin...end of conversation..

BrazForPhins
06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I think he learned from his mistakes, as we all do, and will do better. That being said,the "better" he may do now, probably won't reach the good enough for me..

campeonaso
06-01-2006, 10:00 PM
probabby jets fans

MrClean
06-01-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm part of the 16%. Just being totally free from Wannstedt will be enough for him to do better.

Mainge
06-01-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm part of the 16%. Just being totally free from Wannstedt will be enough for him to do better.

I'm in the line of thinking that he did so bad here, it's not possible to do any worse.

Doesn't mean he'll be competent though.

endorPHINS72
06-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Bottom line if RS had been GM the whole time, we would have had Brees and Boldin...end of conversation..

All of this talk of Spielman wanting to draft Brees instead of Fletcher and Boldin instead of Moore came out MUCH later. While it is possible that Spielman did prefer them, it's an easy out for him. It's like the GM of the Chiefs back in 1983 saying, "Oh, I wanted to draft Dan Marino, but the head coach wanted Todd Blackledge." If I knew Spielman and he came up to me the Saturday night of the draft in 2001 and said, "I REALLY think Dave made a mistake in not taking Drew Brees", then that would convince me of the truth of these tales. Since that didn't happen, I really don't see much credibility behind these tales with no merit.

The only things we do know for sure were that he blew it on the A.J. Feeley and Lamar Gordon trades and got punked by Minnesota when we gave them our 4th round pick to move up one spot. The only decent moves he made were getting Marty Booker (I still think we could have gotten more for Wale, but Spielman waited too long) and drafting Will Poole (a potential 1st round pick falls to the 4th round isn't exactly wiley drafting though).

I remember saying it here when it went down, and it holds true...Rick Spielman will forever be linked to how the A.J. Feeley trade pans out, for better or for worse.

Given To Fly
06-01-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm one of the 16%. He had just one season as GM, you can't judge a player, coach or GM just for his rookie year, besides he had the chance to work and learn from Saban for about 6 months.

Pauly
06-01-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm in the 16%.

In 2004 he was forced into making desperation trades, the other teams they new he was desperate so they went in hard and didn't even use vaseline or kiss him when it was all over.

The simple fact is that Wannstadt had more to do with the poor showing of the team than Spielman had. Whatever Brad Childress may be as a coach, there's a pretty good chance he's a better HC than Wannstadt, which in turn will make Spielman look like a better GM than than he did down here.

Will he be a great GM? Very much doubt it, but in the right situation he could prove to be competent.

JTBRLZ
06-01-2006, 11:36 PM
I am as well. I think Rick had a good eye for talent, just shouldn't have been giving total control as GM. It's not like he didn't do his homework on the Feeley trade and offered a 2nd for some random QB, I remember an article explinaing a whole process he went through where he thought he could find a competenet back-up elsewhere that could start here ala Jake Delhomme. The Gordon trade was to try to save Dave's final season. I'm not saying he did a good job as GM, I'm just saying a lot of you are way too harsh on him for many of Dave's decisions. The one draft he had control over was one of our bests since the days of Jimmy, of course until Saban came along.

Coral Reefer
06-01-2006, 11:40 PM

Your comments clearly suggest to me that you really don't follow the Phins too closely. Not uncommon around these parts for people to blab off without knowing the situation they are blabbing about. Welcome to that club.

Wannstedt was the coach and acting GM until the last year.
Wannstedt was the one responsible for letting our QB position rot as well as all the bad drafts we had. He had ultimate control not Speilman.

Rick Speilman may not be a good GM but the fact is that you cannot judge him based on his tenure here.

The year he was elevated to GM he took over a sinking ship.

He made some moves that were obvious desperation moves in an attempt to turn a sinking team around as quick as possible. Those moves were the trades for AJ Feeley and Lamar Gordon.

He was regarded highly as a scout.
If put into a position where he has a normal period of time to build a team rather than having to save a team in one year, you may see some better moves out of him.

I'm not saying he will because based on his comments while at ESPN, I've grown more leery of him but you CANNOT blame him for the QB debacle or for the horrible drafts the Phins had under Wanny.

endorPHINS72
06-01-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm in the 16%.

In 2004 he was forced into making desperation trades, the other teams they new he was desperate so they went in hard and didn't even use vaseline or kiss him when it was all over.

The simple fact is that Wannstadt had more to do with the poor showing of the team than Spielman had. Whatever Brad Childress may be as a coach, there's a pretty good chance he's a better HC than Wannstadt, which in turn will make Spielman look like a better GM than than he did down here.

Will he be a great GM? Very much doubt it, but in the right situation he could prove to be competent.

While I agree that these trades were made out of desparation, that in itself shows poor management skills. The problem was that Rick and Dave were friends and that got in the way. Wannstedt was trying to save his job and Spielman complied with these desparation trades. A good GM would have stood up to Wannstedt and said something along the lines of, "Dave, I'm sorry but I can't pull the trigger on some of these trades. I am being paid to think in the best interests of the Miami Dolphins, primarily in the long term and not of any one coach or player." People around the league knew that Wannstedt is a buffoon. It wouldn't have reflected negatively on Spielman had he not made such rash and boneheaded moves.

endorPHINS72
06-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Your comments clearly suggest to me that you really don't follow the Phins too closely. Not uncommon around these parts for people to blab off without knowing the situation they are blabbing about. Welcome to that club.

Wannstedt was the coach and acting GM until the last year.
Wannstedt was the one responsible for letting our QB position rot as well as all the bad drafts we had. He had ultimate control not Speilman.

Rick Speilman may not be a good GM but the fact is that you cannot judge him based on his tenure here.

The year he was elevated to GM he took over a sinking ship.

He made some moves that were obvious desperation moves in an attempt to turn a sinking team around as quick as possible. Those moves were the trades for AJ Feeley and Lamar Gordon.

He was regarded highly as a scout.
If put into a position where he has a normal period of time to build a team rather than having to save a team in one year, you may see some better moves out of him.

I'm not saying he will because based on his comments while at ESPN, I've grown more leery of him but you CANNOT blame him for the QB debacle or for the horrible drafts the Phins had under Wanny.

I agree with you that the 2004 Dolphins could be seen as a sinking ship. But if a ship is already 95% underwater, is there any possible way to think it can magically jetison the water and float once again? That's the problem I have with Spielman. There was no fixing the 2004 Dolphins team in 2004 with Wannstedt at the helm. Change was immenent. Spielman shouldn't have acted without any consideration for the future. Had he not made such god awful trades, he might still be here.

Pauly
06-02-2006, 12:01 AM
While I agree that these trades were made out of desparation, that in itself shows poor management skills.

The only trade in the 2004 season that was due to truly bad planning was the AJ Feeley trade, the others happened because of injury and retirement that were unpredictable. Even the Ogun-Booker trade wasn't a particularly bad trade because at that time we needed WRs more than we needed DEs. I'm a Jay Fiedler supporter, but he was never going to be a pro-bowl QB and the failure to even look for a pro-bowl QB or a QB who could be groomed into a pro bowl QB prior to 2004 can be laid fully at Wannstadt's door.

Also because the needs for trades arose as a series of disasters, rather than in one big cataclysmic event it lead to the belief that they could paper over the cracks.

I'm not saying Rick did a great job, just that he was dealt a bad hand of cards and that he may do better if he's dealt a better hand of cards in Minny.

Strangeworld
06-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Everyone that touts the "his hands were tied" mantra do nothing but PROVE this freaking moron's ineptitude. The reason we were in the situation we were in was because of FIVE years of pi$$ poor drafting, FA acquisitions, and trades (anyone remember giving up a 4th for JAY WILLIAMS ?) that saw us get the SHORT of the stick over and over. Spielman and Dumbstedt are without question, THE worst Coach/GM combo in the HISTORY of organized sports if one takes into account their combined exploits in both Miami and Chicago.

Ol' Saint Nick
06-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Spielman and Dumbstedt are without question, THE worst Coach/GM combo in the HISTORY of organized sports if one takes into account their combined exploits in both Miami and Chicago.

QFT.

Close thread.

Anthony D.
06-02-2006, 12:56 AM
I would like to hear an arguement for Rick S doing better with the Vikings. He was horrendous here and did a horrendous job with ESPN DRAFT. Every evaluation just seemed to be weird or inaccurate, IMO. I don't see how he could do better, but I'm also curious to see why a small percent believe he will do better. I expected the voting when i first saw it to be like 95% to 5% but 16% shocks me.It's not me dude. He is a total clown and will only bring the collective intelligence of any organization down just by being there, he doesn't even have to speak.

Outrider01
06-02-2006, 01:10 AM
I also think he will do better. How could he do any worse.

Exactly, Thread over.

WestCoastPhins
06-02-2006, 01:10 AM
I was one of the 16. I think he had a decent eye for talent, he didnt know value but he didnt have wannyites. The only reason I said better than the dolphins is because he wont have to listen to wanny's decision on draft choices and FA choices.

MarinoForPres
06-02-2006, 02:00 AM
he will do better than he did hear i hope anyways; for the sake of ppls lives in minny. and really im just happy he is off espn and far away from miami. he sucks to bad minny someone is going to shot thier brains out

PALMA
06-02-2006, 02:00 AM
For our sake lets hope Spielman maintains his current success of trading his healthy dose of draft picks. Cleo Lemon to the Vikes for a 1st?

MarinoForPres
06-02-2006, 02:07 AM
For our sake lets hope Spielman maintains his current success of trading his healthy dose of draft picks. Cleo Lemon to the Vikes for a 1st?
hahahahaha :sidelol: this may be our chance spileman turns his fortune around in miami fans love him b/c he sucks so bad we got all thier picks and players for a donut,a candy bar and a signed coffee mug with dan marino on it.
by they way im not in the 16%

XXXSURTAINXXX
06-02-2006, 04:38 AM

I was one who voted he'd do better.

Why? because i dont wish bad luck on anyone. That will come back to you. and 2. Wannstadt screwed our team over so bad that Rick didnt have enough time and took desperates steps to correct them.....It was actually easy for him to fail.

@@@
06-02-2006, 04:47 AM
Maybe people we're working on the principal that he couldn't do any worse?

slyfox13
06-02-2006, 05:17 AM
I would like to hear an arguement for Rick S doing better with the Vikings. He was horrendous here and did a horrendous job with ESPN DRAFT. Every evaluation just seemed to be weird or inaccurate, IMO. I don't see how he could do better, but I'm also curious to see why a small percent believe he will do better. I expected the voting when i first saw it to be like 95% to 5% but 16% shocks me.Rick Spielman Creates a vacuum when he enters the room:shakeno:

LarryFinFan
06-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Speilman, right or wrong, will forever be linked with Wanny here and in Chitown. Now that he's away from that, he can do well. The thing is, his job was to supply his coaching staff with players. How the staff chose to use those guys and why they chose one guy over another is not his responsibility...the last year when he had total control, it was simply that they ALL were desperate to try and keep their jobs...The ultimate blame for bad trades and moves belongs to Wanny in this case, not Spielman...

Now he has a chance. He is a good scouting coordinator and should do well, but again he's not in the position to make the final decision.

PhinsRock
06-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Certainly wasn't me, he is an idiot. However, as some guys have posted: how could he be any worse?

In Saban We Trust!

Vector1Dolphins
06-02-2006, 07:23 AM
I really don't see Rick doing all that well in Minnesota, He has a bad track record and it's not going to be better there. I'm so glad he's no longer here and I hope he finds his niche, Good luck Rick Bu Bye!

Go Dolphins

Strangeworld
06-02-2006, 07:56 AM
hahahahaha :sidelol: this may be our chance spileman turns his fortune around in miami fans love him b/c he sucks so bad we got all thier picks and players for a donut,a candy bar and a signed coffee mug with dan marino on it.
by they way im not in the 16%

Heck Let's anty up a Ham and Swiss on Rye!!! For that alone, SPOILman will probably give us his 1, 2, AND 3!

Alex44
06-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Well I think if you use the idea that he couldnt do any worse than yeah he will do better

If the question is will he do good then HELL NO

Im not one of the 16% that thinks he will do better....once a loser always a loser

Truthfully I think Lamar Gordon would have been a good back for us if he didnt get hurt

buckwilde
06-02-2006, 09:45 AM
I was one who voted he'd do better.

Why? because i dont wish bad luck on anyone. That will come back to you. and 2. Wannstadt screwed our team over so bad that Rick didnt have enough time and took desperates steps to correct them.....It was actually easy for him to fail.

He does not need anyone to "wish bad luck" on him. He sucks so bad he will bring his own. But I do agree that it was easy for him to fail, failure just comes naturally for him. :cooldude:

fin1
06-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I didn't but could he do any worse?