PDA

View Full Version : Cable Networks that change

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-02-2006, 11:46 AM
you all know what i'm talking about....there have been a bunch of cable networks that have slowly evolved into completely different channels void of the programming originally promised. MTV is the biggest culprit here. once a nonstop barage of music videos, or even "the grind," it's now turned into a mini-reality network, with some really crappy original programming. and when mtv2 started, it was supposed to be the "real" MTV; 24 hours of videos, ranging from the biggest names to some pretty obscure artists. now it just repeats the crappy programming from MTV 10 times a day. and vh1 is basically just a poor-man's E! i'm not too sure what Bravo's purpose was, but it's definitely much worse now than it was 5 years ago.

the worst to me though is G4. once there was two networks, G4 and TechTV. G4 was the video game network and techtv was the general computers/technology one. techtv was clearly the better one, with better shows, better personalities, much more interaction, and generally less "phoney." somehow G4 managed to get the two networks to merge to become G4TechTv. slowly but surely, all the original shows from TechTv were killed off, EVERYONE was fired, and the viewers left. just 2 years later, the network is nothing of what made TechTv popular in the first place. essentially it's just a ripoff of the Spike network (and Spike itself changed format drastically, although that was probably for the better...); no tech/games programs at all, although the hosts now are just ditzy blondes

what's the next one to go? comedy central? ESPN??

ih8brady
06-02-2006, 11:56 AM
MTV=music televison, but good luck finding much music on it. as you said, just crap "original programing" and celebrity trash.

ESPN is rather awful. The constant attempts to be hip and saying dawg every ten seconds ("This ain't yo daddy's U.S. Open") are growing really old and tiresome. And I hate how on Sportscenter some NFL games are given maybe one 4 second clip. Now I know the cards v.s. the browns may not be a great matchup but then again this sports channel does give extensive coverage on spelling bees. :rolleyes: (I have to admit tho that I enjoy these crap "sports" being mocked on Cheap Seats)

UltraDol-Fan
06-02-2006, 11:57 AM
I think OLN is changing. Why else would they buy the rights to hockey?

Motion
06-02-2006, 12:00 PM
As long as Speed Channel and Fuel TV don't change I'll be happy.

I don't think ESPN will change in the sense that others have, although they do try to be more "hip".

Jimmy James
06-02-2006, 12:02 PM
The next to go is Scifi. They have already dropped most of their quality programming for crap, and now they have contracted to air ECW (yes, wrestling). They'll be just another USA or TNT knockoff within 3 years, I'm guessing.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-02-2006, 12:11 PM
oh yeah, forgot about sci-fi. i only watched it for MST3K anyway.

one channel i'm glad that has changed is ESPNEWS. it was supposed to be essentially a 24/7 sportscenter, but that can be nauseating, especially during slow times of the year (i.e. non-football seasons). they have a lot more "experts" on now, and repeating PTI is a plus. i don't even watch sportscenter anymore.

ILPhinFan88
06-02-2006, 12:13 PM
The next to go is Scifi. They have already dropped most of their quality programming for crap, and now they have contracted to air ECW (yes, wrestling). They'll be just another USA or TNT knockoff within 3 years, I'm guessing.

Don't say that SciFi has been one of my favs for a long time, they have Dr. Who. Remember Mystery Science Theatre 3000?

ILPhinFan88
06-02-2006, 12:14 PM
oh yeah, forgot about sci-fi. i only watched it for MST3K anyway.

one channel i'm glad that has changed is ESPNEWS. it was supposed to be essentially a 24/7 sportscenter, but that can be nauseating, especially during slow times of the year (i.e. non-football seasons). they have a lot more "experts" on now, and repeating PTI is a plus. i don't even watch sportscenter anymore.

You posted this while I was typing mine. :D

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-02-2006, 12:33 PM
You posted this while I was typing mine. :D
best show ever! i'm watching it on my iPod at work right now. :D although from the comedy central era.

NaboCane
06-02-2006, 12:52 PM
you all know what i'm talking about....there have been a bunch of cable networks that have slowly evolved into completely different channels void of the programming originally promised. MTV is the biggest culprit here. once a nonstop barage of music videos, or even "the grind," it's now turned into a mini-reality network, with some really crappy original programming. and when mtv2 started, it was supposed to be the "real" MTV; 24 hours of videos, ranging from the biggest names to some pretty obscure artists. now it just repeats the crappy programming from MTV 10 times a day. and vh1 is basically just a poor-man's E! i'm not too sure what Bravo's purpose was, but it's definitely much worse now than it was 5 years ago.

the worst to me though is G4. once there was two networks, G4 and TechTV. G4 was the video game network and techtv was the general computers/technology one. techtv was clearly the better one, with better shows, better personalities, much more interaction, and generally less "phoney." somehow G4 managed to get the two networks to merge to become G4TechTv. slowly but surely, all the original shows from TechTv were killed off, EVERYONE was fired, and the viewers left. just 2 years later, the network is nothing of what made TechTv popular in the first place. essentially it's just a ripoff of the Spike network (and Spike itself changed format drastically, although that was probably for the better...); no tech/games programs at all, although the hosts now are just ditzy blondes

MTV has to be the biggest disappointment to me; I watched them from the start, and they were fresh, a great place to find new music that never would make it onto the same 6 clearchannel and 5 infinity stations that comprise all the English-speaking stations in any given market, and only program corporate pap.

Now, MTV is the corporate pap.

Agent51
06-02-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm going to nominate TLC (The Learning Channel). Everyone has already mentioned the obvious one (MTV) but TLC has changed just as much. I loove watching those kind of channels, and I used to have Discovery, TLC, and the History Channel to choose from (before Digital Cable came out). Then all the sudden TLC went from nature/history/medical shows to friggin Trading Spaces and What Not To Wear and 234987 knockoffs of each show. It was like instant too, the second those shows came out BOOM, the whole station was like that, no more nature or science or health or history stuff. Now the only show that is SORT OF worth watching is that Overhaulin' show.

Discovery Channel is doing this to an extent too. Now they have American Chopper, Monster Garage, and Monster House on ALL THE TIME. What happened to Wild Discovery and all of those shows? I'm so sick of "reality" TV, and it doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon, new shows pop up every friggin day (on ALL the channels, not just TLC/Discovery).

At least the History Channel is still cool, and ever since digital cable came out I have liked the National Geographic and Discovery Science channels.

CharlestonPhan
06-02-2006, 01:21 PM

there is so little worth watching on television to me besides sports and the news, i have considered killing my television set. "the shield" and "24" are about the only series i keep up with anymore.

DrAstroZoom
06-02-2006, 01:23 PM
MTV has to be the biggest disappointment to me; I watched them from the start, and they were fresh, a great place to find new music that never would make it onto the same 6 clearchannel and 5 infinity stations that comprise all the English-speaking stations in any given market, and only program corporate pap.

Now, MTV is the corporate pap.

Tell. Me. About It.

Everythime I think about MTV, I get this sad, angry, nauseous feeling. It's blasphemous that they even have kept "M" in their title.

ILPhinFan88
06-02-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm going to nominate TLC (The Learning Channel). Everyone has already mentioned the obvious one (MTV) but TLC has changed just as much. I loove watching those kind of channels, and I used to have Discovery, TLC, and the History Channel to choose from (before Digital Cable came out). Then all the sudden TLC went from nature/history/medical shows to friggin Trading Spaces and What Not To Wear and 234987 knockoffs of each show. It was like instant too, the second those shows came out BOOM, the whole station was like that, no more nature or science or health or history stuff. Now the only show that is SORT OF worth watching is that Overhaulin' show.

Discovery Channel is doing this to an extent too. Now they have American Chopper, Monster Garage, and Monster House on ALL THE TIME. What happened to Wild Discovery and all of those shows? I'm so sick of "reality" TV, and it doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon, new shows pop up every friggin day (on ALL the channels, not just TLC/Discovery).

At least the History Channel is still cool, and ever since digital cable came out I have liked the National Geographic and Discovery Science channels.

Yeah but before long all this will be history, then they will have to talk about it. :D

NaboCane
06-02-2006, 02:14 PM

Good one with TLC...I used to love their programming, now frankly I can't think of one program of theirs that I watch.

And Discovery decided to split off into all these other channels, and now you have to scan all of them to find the 3-4 programs that they still play that are worth anything.

Of all the stations I get on DTV, the one I watch most is Discovery Science; I do like Anthony Bourdain's show on the Travel Channel, but my absolute favorite program the last 2 years has been Going Tribal on Discovery.
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/goingtribal/splash.html

Amazing show, chck it out when the next 3 episodes of the season air. Bruce Parry, the host, can only make 6 shows a year, since he spends a month at a time living with aboriginal tribes all over the world, adopting their customs, etc. Parry is an ex-Royal Marine and quite a character, aside from a really good sport about eating bugs, reptiles, rats and everything else disgusting that you can think of.

Agent51
06-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Good one with TLC...I used to love their programming, now frankly I can't think of one program of theirs that I watch.

And Discovery decided to split off into all these other channels, and now you have to scan all of them to find the 3-4 programs that they still play that are worth anything.

Of all the stations I get on DTV, the one I watch most is Discovery Science; I do like Anthony Bourdain's show on the Travel Channel, but my absolute favorite program the last 2 years has been Going Tribal on Discovery.
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/goingtribal/splash.html

Amazing show, chck it out when the next 3 episodes of the season air. Bruce Parry, the host, can only make 6 shows a year, since he spends a month at a time living with aboriginal tribes all over the world, adopting their customs, etc. Parry is an ex-Royal Marine and quite a character, aside from a really good sport about eating bugs, reptiles, rats and everything else disgusting that you can think of.

I've seen Going Tribal, it's a great show. I saw one where he ate some crazy hallucinogetic root and just went nuts. A lot of the stuff they wouldn't allow on camera, but the dude was trippin' for like a weeks straight, lol. There was just one on, either this week or last week, where he lived with cannibals. It was so funny because before he left they did this ritual where they pushed his you-know-what up INSIDE of him, and he let out the horrific scream and liek fell to the ground.

Discovery Science it the best one IMO, they actually have ALL good stuff, never actual "reality" type shows. I like "Survivorman", that show rocks. Where the cool Canadian guy goes to a place for a week with only limited supplies and it's JUST him, he has to do all the filing on top of surviving, it's pretty cool.

NaboCane
06-02-2006, 02:54 PM
I've seen Going Tribal, it's a great show. I saw one where he ate some crazy hallucinogetic root and just went nuts. A lot of the stuff they wouldn't allow on camera, but the dude was trippin' for like a weeks straight, lol. There was just one on, either this week or last week, where he lived with cannibals. It was so funny because before he left they did this ritual where they pushed his you-know-what up INSIDE of him, and he let out the horrific scream and liek fell to the ground.

Discovery Science it the best one IMO, they actually have ALL good stuff, never actual "reality" type shows. I like "Survivorman", that show rocks. Where the cool Canadian guy goes to a place for a week with only limited supplies and it's JUST him, he has to do all the filing on top of surviving, it's pretty cool.

Yeah, Survivorman rocks too.

TJamesW_phinfan
06-02-2006, 03:59 PM
I like Discovery and The Science Channel among others though Discoverys programing seems to not be as good as it used to be. I am not of a fan reality shows. I hardly watch TLC anymore and it used to be one of my favorites. National Geographic has some good programing at times.

A couple of my favorites from Discovery are Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters. The science channel has a lot of programing on astronomy which is always interesting to me.

I miss The Screen Savers from TechTV.

DrAstroZoom
06-02-2006, 04:04 PM
I love Mythbusters!

Dolphin1184
06-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Cartoon Network. They used to have really good classic cartoons. Bugs and Daffy, Tom and Jerry.. and some decent shows like Johnny Bravo and Dexter's laboratory. Their Toonami segment used to be decent. Now they have nothing but utter garbage. Their new shows are all poorly animated crap. The only thing that is good in Cartoon Network now is Adult Swim. Nickalodian is just as bad, though I never watched Nick.

Nick at Nite has evolved rather nicely. The new classic shows are great.

NaboCane
06-02-2006, 04:26 PM
I love Mythbusters!

:yes: Kari:hump::hump::hump::drool:

Agent51
06-02-2006, 05:49 PM
I love Mythbusters!

Mythbusters rocks.

themole
06-02-2006, 06:30 PM
As long as Speed Channel and Fuel TV don't change I'll be happy.

I don't think ESPN will change in the sense that others have, although they do try to be more "hip".

Man do I love Overhaulin and the Barrett jackson Auctions.:D

lazareth
06-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Dirty Jobs is good, only saw a few of the others mentioned by agent and the good doctor

SciFi still does it for me, at least with Battlestar and Stargate (Dr. Who when i can remember to watch it)

When i finally got my computers at home and broadband, i really stopped watching much TV at all

Agent51
06-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Dirty Jobs is good, only saw a few of the others mentioned by agent and the good doctor

SciFi still does it for me, at least with Battlestar and Stargate (Dr. Who when i can remember to watch it)

When i finally got my computers at home and broadband, i really stopped watching much TV at all

Dirty Jobs is good, but it's a crap shoot. Some episodes are good, some are boring. Like, we ALL know garbage man is a dirty job, so to do a 20 minute spot on being a garbage is pretty pointless. I do like the obscure dirty jobs though. They did one where he went seaweed/algea farming in Hawai'i :D

Muck
06-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Comedy Central keeps it coming strong. I love it. Their lineup at night is awesome. They still have South Park. And they had the greatest reality tv show ever last year: The Comedians of Comedy. They basically thumbed their nose at reality tv and dissed it. I can't wait to see what that comedy tv station show will be like. I really like Zach Galafal;sdkfja;lskd.

unifiedtheory
06-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Muthbusters is one of the few can't miss shows on T.V. for me...along with Nova and Frontline.

I thought I was the only one that nolticed that TLC was basically "The Reality T.V. Network" now....very disappointing.

lazareth
06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
my mom (may she RIP) watched Trading Spaces ALL THE TIME
not all she watched, but that was the worst of it

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Comedy Central keeps it coming strong. I love it. Their lineup at night is awesome. They still have South Park. And they had the greatest reality tv show ever last year: The Comedians of Comedy. They basically thumbed their nose at reality tv and dissed it. I can't wait to see what that comedy tv station show will be like. I really like Zach Galafal;sdkfja;lskd.
yeah comedians of comedy is amazing. patton oswalt and zach galifanakis are just hysterical...