PDA

View Full Version : Boycott: The Breakup Movie

A Wing Pilot
06-04-2006, 09:28 AM
I went with my wife to the movie " the Breakup" with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. Thinking that it would be a good/humorous date movie. Boy was I wrong.

The premise of the movie is that a couple come upon hard times and breakup. Having an excellent condo neither wants to leave and does things just to spite the other. The issue I had with the movie was multi layered:

1. They portray it as if everything the guy does is wrong
2. They make Jennifer Aniston seem like she had no faults (character wise )
3. The female does activities to make jealous the male, but when the male does it its just obscene, unacceptable,etc ( as per theatre rumblings that I heard)

I must have heard at least 20 women complain or say to there boyfriends/spouses during the movie " You so do that", and I heard a sigh from every guy in the theatre when we realized what was going on. I find it appauling that they go forward with the portrayal that a relationship even with its faults is squarely demised by the actions of the male.

The fact is that a relationship to me is a balancing act. Yes the movie was exagerated in parts but really annoying because anytime you want to do something I know for a fact that the movie will pop up, not because you're wrong but because its a weapon that one could use against you. If they made a movie about a girl messing up the relationship there would be uproar.

I guess what I'm saying is although the movie is more realstic then others, it really slams the male population pretty hard. I spoil my wife. I treat her with respect. I work hard for what I do. I raise our children with morals and pride. I don't need to go to a movie to see all my hard work flushed down the toilet over some exagerated pettiness.

Movie rating: B
With a date: F

Scrap
06-04-2006, 09:41 AM
I haven't seen the movie, but I did hear that you get to see Jennifer's butt. That seems like enough to overlook at least a few things.

The Confessor
06-04-2006, 10:08 AM
I went with my wife to the movie " the Breakup" with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. Thinking that it would be a good/humorous date movie. Boy was I wrong.

The premise of the movie is that a couple come upon hard times and breakup. Having an excellent condo neither wants to leave and does things just to spite the other. The issue I had with the movie was multi layered:

3. The female does activities to make jealous the male, but when the male does it its just obscene, unacceptable,etc ( as per theatre rumblings that I heard)

I must have heard at least 20 women complain or say to there boyfriends/spouses during the movie " You so do that", and I heard a sigh from every guy in the theatre when we realized what was going on. I find it appauling that they go forward with the portrayal that a relationship even with its faults is squarely demised by the actions of the male.

The fact is that a relationship to me is a balancing act. Yes the movie was exagerated in parts but really annoying because anytime you want to do something I know for a fact that the movie will pop up, not because you're wrong but because its a weapon that one could use against you. If they made a movie about a girl messing up the relationship there would be uproar.

I guess what I'm saying is although the movie is more realstic then others, it really slams the male population pretty hard. I spoil my wife. I treat her with respect. I work hard for what I do. I raise our children with morals and pride. I don't need to go to a movie to see all my hard work flushed down the toilet over some exagerated pettiness.

Dang man,
If I am gonna see a flick without a chick, I guarentee it isnt gonna be a Jennifer Pitt and V-2 flick. And no, not even her posterior is gonna make it "That" good. Maybe if it was a frontal with those "Enormous" fishing lures, but nope-I will wait for the DVD.
Thanks for the heads up A-Wing

Scrap
06-04-2006, 10:45 AM
not even her posterior is gonna make it "That" good. Blashpemy !!!

Slappy8800
06-04-2006, 10:49 AM
3. The female does activities to make jealous the male, but when the male does it its just obscene, unacceptable,etc

sounds like real life to me

FinFan72
06-04-2006, 06:57 PM
sounds like real life to me
:yes:

King Felix
06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
is that the one where anniston gets naky?

HysterikiLL
06-04-2006, 07:10 PM
When my ***** comes back with my beer and sandwich, I'm going to let her know that the faults of the relationship never lie squarely on the male. She just better hurry up with my god damn Coors lite.

wpgfishfan
06-04-2006, 09:13 PM
They also changed the ending of the movie. Originally they were suppose to stay broken up but the women who previewed it did not like it so they changed the ending from what I read

cnc66
06-04-2006, 09:18 PM
:shakeno: a chick flic...you guys are talking about a chick flic... :goof:

Jimmy James
06-04-2006, 09:35 PM
I saw this yesterday. I disagree with what has been said here. In fact, I disagree with almost all of it. I'll hit the quick points first:

* I doubt that's Jennifer's posterior. I think it was likely a body double, and you only see it in focus for about a microsecond.

* It's no chick flick

Now, on to the big one. The break up is not all the guy's fault. He behaves pretty poorly, but it's evident that the reason for the break up is that the woman is MENTAL. She actually goes about breaking up with him in order to try to get him to buy her flowers and do the dishes. His behavior is more obvious, but she is the one who seriously undermines this relationship. He does a lot of thoughtless and even sleazy things, but her core complaint is that he cannot read her mind. I think they balanced the film quite well to make sure both of them were seriously at fault for what happened.

Now, with all that said, I really enjoyed the movie with my wife at my side. Vaughn was the guy he always is, and that guy works for me. Jon Favreau is also his usual very funny self. Jason Bateman shines in the one scene they give him to chew up. The real surprise in the film was Cole Hauser as Vaughn's younger brother, though. He tries to get Vaughn back in the game with laugh out loud results.

I'd suggest taking your girl to this movie. It will be better than the idiotic movie with Sandra Bullock opening up in a couple of weeks, and you'll know your girl is mental if she decides that Vaughn's character is the only one at fault for what goes down. That alone could save you years of heartbreak and/or child support payments in the future.

dQbell
06-04-2006, 10:06 PM
It is her butt. She did an interview with Good Morning America and talked about how she hasn't even walked around in her own home like that. Why this matters, I have no idea. My wife watches GMA in the morning and I caught it then.

I too am bothered by men being depicted as idiots in our society. Yet, men are to blame sometimes. I hear guys say, "I don't do diapers, laundry etc. that's what the wife is for." Yeah, sure bud. All the while she is wondering what it would be like to have someone to help out.

Majpain
06-04-2006, 10:17 PM
its a movie so dont get so worked up over it.How was the *** scene?

Jimmy James
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
its a movie so dont get so worked up over it.How was the *** scene?

A big let down, especially if you heard about it way back when the buzz was that she gets a wax and walks through the apartment naked.

Pagan
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
:shakeno: a chick flic...you guys are talking about a chick flic... :goof:
:lol:

I was just thinking the same thing man! :sidelol:

Majpain
06-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Damn it well there goes my only reason to watch the film ;)

dominizzo
06-05-2006, 12:58 AM

Agree!!! My gfriend was like thats you playing xbox and sports!! Really bad

playmaker1
06-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I took the misses to see it saturday. I thought it was ok, but nothing special. I had read that they had went back and re-shot a bunch of it, so I guess I had higher expectations.

Boston
06-06-2006, 11:58 PM
jennifer annistons butts worth 5 bucks. and a boring to hours haha