PDA

View Full Version : 'The Sopranos' wraps season 6

BAMAPHIN 22
06-05-2006, 10:39 PM
A disappointing season of "The Sopranos" ended disappointingly Sunday as nothing ... much ... happened.

Having started strong last March with the near-fatal shooting of mob boss Tony Soprano by his senile Uncle Junior, the sixth season of this HBO drama seemed to wilt, week to week, in synch with Tony's recovery.

The inevitable murder of Soprano captain Vito Spatafore -- offed by fellow mobsters for being gay -- had taken place in the next-to-last episode. But proving somewhat anticlimactic, it only whetted the audience's appetite for a decisive, dramatic finish to the 12-episode season.

That didn't happen.

Leaving viewers with neither a satisfying resolution nor a startling cliffhanger, the episode served mainly to drop a few hints of what might (or, then again, might not) happen in the series' final eight installments, airing next year.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/04/sopranos.ap/index.html

DanStillStands
06-06-2006, 12:02 AM
this weeks show was really bad. I guess they are saving all the good stuff for the final 8 shows next year.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 10:19 AM
i loved it. the episode pissed people off now because there wasn't any cliffhanger or whatever, but that just means more can happen in the final 8 eps. :yes:

Pagan
06-06-2006, 11:02 AM
This season was bull...how many seasons of "setting up" have we had to watch with no payoff? What's the big thing to wait for next season....whether or not they ran out of baccala at the Xmas party? :shakeno:

I'm all for having a great final 8 episodes, but not at the expense of wasting my time every Sunday night for three years setting it up. You CAN have something great happen every week in a TV show. Ask 24 or Rescue Me.

The Sopranos jumped the shark years ago.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 11:22 AM
i've loved every episode. i don't know what you're looking for.

Pagan
06-06-2006, 11:44 AM
i've loved every episode. i don't know what you're looking for.
I'm looking for a show about the mafia....not "Days of Our Lives".

Watch the first three seasons and you'll know what I'm looking for.

Coral Reefer
06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm looking for a show about the mafia....not "Days of Our Lives".

Watch the first three seasons and you'll know what I'm looking for.

:lol:

Couldn't have summed it up better!

These last couple of seasons it's clear the writers have just been going through the motions. This season was a complete waste and that season finale was the most uneventful season finale I've ever seen from any show.

Like Pagan said, if you really want to see what made everyone fall in love with the Sopranos series go rent one of the first 3 seasons.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 12:17 PM
the show isn't about the mafia. it's about tony soprano's two families, and all the people intertwined within. why did they spend so long talking about meadow's choice of college in the first two seasons, or AJ's constant troubles at school? or carmela's relationship with the priest? the mafia is just one part of the whole show. i mean the first scene in season one is tony talking to dr. melfi about his panic attacks.

the first 3 seasons were the best, yes, but that's because the main character behind everything was tony's mother.

Pagan
06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
The point is that in the first three seaons the other storylines didn't interfere with the mob part. Now they are at the forefront and the other things have been pushed aside. It's almost as if the big payoff is going to be Tony realizing the error of his ways, retiring, becoming a shoe salesman, and living a peaceful life in the witness protection program in Argentina.

Did you really want to see Paulie Walnuts become a sobbing mess? Personally I preferred the Paulie that banged strippers from the "Bing" on a pooltable. :lol:

I never said it was ALL about the mafia, but it's the main part. I'm willing to bet not too many people gave a rat's *** about Carmela's trip to France.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 12:44 PM
i want to see the characters develop. paulie's mother turns out to be his aunt, he feels betrayed, he gets cancer....so i'd expect him to become a "sobbing mess." pretty much every character has changed considerably since the start. i love that (well, i guess sil is still the same).

btw, best character ever: richie aprille. i've watched season 2 so much just for him. :lol: every conversation he has with tony: PRICELESS

Pagan
06-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Yea, but the only problem with that is that in real life those kind of characters don't develop that way. :wink:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 12:59 PM
if paulie got cancer in real life, i don't see him being the same pinky-pointing-stripper-banging smug guy as he was before.

Pagan
06-06-2006, 01:11 PM
You obviously don't live in the NY/NJ area or have come in contact with people like that.

My family is old school Italian hun, that generation has a very tough time with showing emotions.

Trust me, I know from experience.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 01:15 PM
you're right. what's the problem here? paulie still hasn't shown any emotion here. only to tony. all of his "sobbing" has been alone at home. he's still not showing his weakness. to everyone else, he was just being a prick. when talking about vito with the guys he was just as mean and tough as ever.

NJFINSFAN1
06-06-2006, 01:16 PM
You obviously don't live in the NY/NJ area or have come in contact with people like that.

My family is old school Italian hun, that generation has a very tough time with showing emotions.

Trust me, I know from experience.

:wink: Yep, I see and deal with the typr everyday!

And yes, this year was the worst! Every Sunday night I would go to bed pissed off about the show.

dQbell
06-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I watched the first two seasons, and kinda lost interest after that.

When I recently just visited RI (my hometown), I couldn't help but laugh at the morons trying to be Tony Soprano.

My father once told me that the Mob is nothing to try and emulate or brag about being in touch with. He's a very experienced and smart man, so I took his advice.

(edit) plus he's my dad!

Pagan
06-06-2006, 01:52 PM
:wink: Yep, I see and deal with the typr everyday!
I knew you'd know what I was talking about! :lol:

Kat, no offense...but you don't know. Really. It's nothing like reality. Again...trust me.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
oh please. my mother was italian, i've dealt with all sorts of uncles, cousins, etc from that side of the family. they're all crazy. and what do you want paulie to do when he finds out he has cancer? put up a facade and tell no one how he truly feels? that's exactly what he did. if you don't like the show, fine, but find something to complain about that makes sense. paulie has always been this way. in season 3 in "pine barrrens" he cracks many time in the woods yet still tries to show how tough he is with chris. tony had the ducks in season one.

Pagan
06-06-2006, 01:59 PM
oh please. my mother was italian, i've dealt with all sorts of uncles, cousins, etc from that side of the family. they're all crazy. and what do you want paulie to do when he finds out he has cancer? put up a facade and tell no one how he truly feels? that's exactly what he did. if you don't like the show, fine, but find something to complain about that makes sense. paulie has always been this way. in season 3 in "pine barrrens" he cracks many time in the woods yet still tries to show how tough he is with chris. tony had the ducks in season one.
*sigh*

Kat, you just love to talk about things you don't know. Let me put it in plain English....

How many Jersey mob guys have you come in contact with?

Fred P. Christ squared...you don't know what the F you're talking about. Stoip trying to always be right when you don't have a clue, willya? :shakeno:

This past season is unrealistic. I've dealt with people like that MANY times in my life, (working in the restaurant business it's easy to do) and NO they're not like that. NJFinfan agrees with me, and lo and behold...he deals with them also.

But you know better, right? :rolleyes:

My father once told me that the Mob is nothing to try and emulate or brag about being in touch with. He's a very experienced and smart man, so I took his advice.
You're father's a smart man alright.

NJFINSFAN1
06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
*sigh*

Kat, you just love to talk about things you don't know. Let me put it in plain English....

How many Jersey mob guys have you come in contact with?

Fred P. Christ squared...you don't know what the F you're talking about. Stoip trying to always be right when you don't have a clue, willya? :shakeno:

This past season is unrealistic. I've dealt with people like that MANY times in my life, and NO they're not like that. NJFinfan agrees with me, and lo and behold...he deals with them also.

But you know better, right? :rolleyes:

You're father's a smart man alright.

PS

You will never find them in the Bada Bing either (Satan Dolls), in fact, I have never seen a girl like they have dancing in that place (20 minutes from home!!!)

You know when they are in the Mob (Without them ever saying a thing!)

A good buddy is high up in a family, he has never said a word to me, you just put the pieces together. And meet his friend (associates at partys) and remember hearing the names in the news! He is now in Tampa!!! To sort of get away from the heat getting into the heat I guess you can say! But Tampa is a hotbed now!

Now the one thing I agree with the show is Tony's son!!! I know a few kids of a boss, and they are the same way, but don't have a problem paying the bar bills, in fact flash the money around like its a get out of jail free card! But they don't work for the family (yet!)

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
the point you're missing is that paulie has always been like this. he was always a tough guy who would occasionally bend but not break when they had bad things happen to them. call it unrealistic all you want, but the show has always been that way, so don't just single out this past season. how many mobsters have you dealt with that just found out they had cancer? stop pretending you know everything about everything.

Pagan
06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
the point you're missing is that paulie has always been like this. he was always a tough guy who would occasionally bend but not break when they had bad things happen to them. call it unrealistic all you want, but the show has always been that way, so don't just single out this past season. how many mobsters have you dealt with that just found out they had cancer? stop pretending you know everything about everything.
Are you kidding me? YOU are the one pretending to know everything about everything!!!! And on top of that you're arrogant about it! I'm not the only one who feels this way either. More than just me are annoyed but your antics. You're the perfect stereotype of the snot nose right out of college who thinks she's the be-all end-all.

I don't claim to know everything, but when I DO know about something I speak about it. I worked in the restaurant business AND the sanitation business, so believe me...I KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. Tough as that is for your ego to swallow....deal with it.

Again I ask you, how many people like this have you dealt with in your life? If the answer is none - which I'm almost willing to bet a week's paycheck on - then you don't know squat.

I'm growing weary of your nonsense.

PS - I never dealt with any mobster who had cancer, but my father died of cancer. My mother was with him 24/7 from the time he found out until the day he took his last breath. She said he NEVER shed a tear or broke down, even when she was in another room.

So don't try to make it seem like I don't know about cancer either. Pretty much everyone in my family who's died so far has died from it.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 02:31 PM
sigh. you keep ignoring my whole point. but whatever, that's expected. and i already told you i dealt with plenty of tough jersey italian guys. and my mom died from cancer. i'm not claiming to know anything, i'm just trying to find out why you insist on proving you're right instead of addressing the whole point of this which is that paulie (and most of the characters) have always been "unrealistic" in your eyes, yet you only complain about this season.

Pagan
06-06-2006, 02:46 PM
sigh. you keep ignoring my whole point. but whatever, that's expected. and i already told you i dealt with plenty of tough jersey italian guys. and my mom died from cancer. i'm not claiming to know anything, i'm just trying to find out why you insist on proving you're right instead of addressing the whole point of this which is that paulie (and most of the characters) have always been "unrealistic" in your eyes, yet you only complain about this season.
Possibly because it wasn't taken to the level it was this season. And I'm not just complaining about Paulie. Everyone seems to have gotten "softer" this season.

Or do you disagree with that also?

And I'm not only complaining about this season. I'm complaining about the past few seasons. Aside from the "softening" of the family, too many plot lines have just evaporated without being resolved. You think in the last eight episodes they're going to all come together?

I doubt it.

NJFINSFAN1
06-06-2006, 02:48 PM

He in fact said the first two seasons were good, after that it went downhill I believe.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Possibly because it wasn't taken to the level it was this season. And I'm not just complaining about Paulie. Everyone seems to have gotten "softer" this season.

And I'm not only complaining about this season. I'm complaining about the past few seasons. Aside from the "softening" of the family, too many plot lines have just evaporated without being resolved. You think in the last eight episodes they're going to all come together?

I doubt it.
well yeah, they didn't tlak about paulie this much before. i don't know how "soft" it's gotten, there have always been those moments, like with ***** in the bathroom at AJ's confirmation. i know a lot of people have complained about the gay vito story, and i understand that. not because of the "liberal" nature of it, but because it went on pretty long. the show is about tony and the families. although, i don't see it as being "soft" because the whole reason he was in new hampshire is he feared for his life, and we all saw what happened when he returned.

but what plotlines that haven't resolved bug you the most? i know there have been small ones, but nothing really major (to me).

NJFINSFAN1
06-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Nothing major!

Tony and his Uncle
Tony and his hate for his sister and Husband
Tony and AJ
Tony's wife and her family
Tonys wife and he spec house
John in jail
John and his family (The mob) losing respect because he cried)
Chris and Paulie
Chris and his drugs
Chris and his movie (Very stupid part of this show)
Chris in the Realtor and his new wife
Vito's lover (who will be back)
Revenge for Johns worker that was this killed
The cook and Tonys working trying to beat the crap out of each other (that just got dropped like a hot potato)

I mean I can go on and on if you would like.
And many of the plots are just dumb!

Pagan
06-06-2006, 03:32 PM
:lol:

I think NJ summed it all up...but ya left one out.

The Russian in the woods? Do you really think someone from the Russian mob would be targeted for being hit, escape, and there's NO payback?

Please.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Nothing major!

Tony and his Uncle
Tony and his hate for his sister and Husband
Tony and AJ
Tony's wife and her family
Tonys wife and he spec house
John in jail
John and his family (The mob) losing respect because he cried)
Chris and Paulie
Chris and his drugs
Chris and his movie (Very stupid part of this show)
Chris in the Realtor and his new wife
Vito's lover (who will be back)
Revenge for Johns worker that was this killed
The cook and Tonys working trying to beat the crap out of each other (that just got dropped like a hot potato)

I mean I can go on and on if you would like.
And many of the plots are just dumb!
the only i see as a problem is the artie bucco episode. that puzzled me too. but the other ones....

Tony and his Uncle - that's clearly something which will be reserved for the end.
Tony and his hate for his sister and Husband - this isn't a plot, just how tony feels towards his sister and bobby baccala. it's been like that since both characters were introduced.
Tony and AJ - not sure what you mean. AJ was pissing him off so he got him a job, and it was clear in the finale that his attitude has changed when he said he'd pay for things himself.
Tony's wife and her family - they never had a major plot, really.
Tonys wife and he spec house - that's just getting started after carm got the letter in the mail.
John in jail - again, something that's clearly a next-season kinda thing.
John and his family (The mob) losing respect because he cried) - same as before.
Chris and Paulie - enlighten me with this one...
Chris and his drugs - it's definitely going to take a nasty turn next season.
Chris and his movie (Very stupid part of this show) - when chris came back from LA, he was clearly appalled of the whole industry. but in the finale, he was still writing the script.
Chris in the Realtor and his new wife - all of chris's stories will culminate in his death i feel. it makes sense based on what agent harris said to tony in the restaurant.
Vito's lover (who will be back) - johnny cakes? i doubt he'll come back. that would make no sense.
Revenge for Johns worker that was this killed - next season obviously.
The cook and Tonys working trying to beat the crap out of each other (that just got dropped like a hot potato) - i totally agree.

Pagan
06-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Chris and Paulie - enlighten me with this one...

Have you forgotten the animosity between them? How many times they almost came to blows?

Poof...disappeared!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Have you forgotten the animosity between them? How many times they almost came to blows?

Poof...disappeared!
well to be fair, they didn't feel that way towards each other season one. that mostly started when chris became a made guy. if anything, you can say THAT was not true to the story. it's not like they hated each other, it's just that chris has always had a short-tempered and paulie was busting his chops when he first became made. it was chris maturing with all the various treatments he's had since then that has changed. of course, now that he's using again, it'll probably all blow up again.

regardless, that's not a plot point either.

Pagan
06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
And you want to talk unrealisitic????

As if a goofy looking horse's rear like Chris would ever get to bang Juliana Margolis! :lol:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 03:49 PM
i believe richie aprille called him "camel nose." :lol: it's clear julia is a pretty troubled woman.

but the sopranos has a rich history of ugly guys getting the hot chicks.

Pagan
06-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I know...must be the power thing, cause kissing Tony Soprano would probably be like falling face first into a plate of mashed potatoes.

Rocky Raccoon
06-06-2006, 03:51 PM
awww look at you two getting along :)

:hug:

NJFINSFAN1
06-06-2006, 03:54 PM
awww look at you two getting along :)

:hug:

:sidelol: :sidelol:

Pagan the ugly (I'm sorry!!!! Just in terms of the show) Italian (mashed potatos :lol: :lol: )
UK the hot chick?????

I'm sorry, I could not help myself!!!!!! Just a joke!!

Rocky started it!!!!

Minnphin
06-06-2006, 03:55 PM
The finale was definitely disappointing. I was just waiting for Chris to get whacked. In the scene in the diner where he and Juliana were talking about recovery and then they agreed to take separate cars, I was just waiting for the car bomb. I PRAY that we finally go to the mattresses in the final season. Tony and Phil better not make peace after the heart attack.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 04:02 PM
:sidelol: :sidelol:

Pagan the ugly (I'm sorry!!!! Just in terms of the show) Italian (mashed potatos :lol: :lol: )
UK the hot chick?????

I'm sorry, I could not help myself!!!!!! Just a joke!!
:lol: nah i bet pagan is a very handsome gentleman. i picture a younger johnny sack. i'm no ginny sack though. :lol:

The finale was definitely disappointing. I was just waiting for Chris to get whacked. In the scene in the diner where he and Juliana were talking about recovery and then they agreed to take separate cars, I was just waiting for the car bomb. I PRAY that we finally go to the mattresses in the final season. Tony and Phil better not make peace after the heart attack.
i expected chris to die, too. then again, since he had some sort of life-changing moment there at the diner, it could be a sign that he's finally getting back on track?

i still think the writers are just going to pack as much into 8 episodes as they can and didn't want to do too much here. if you think about it, this episode was originally going to be the series finale. the 8 episodes are going to be so awesome.

NJFINSFAN1
06-06-2006, 04:11 PM
:lol: nah i bet pagan is a very handsome gentleman. i picture a younger johnny sack. :lol:

You got it! Add hair ( a lot) and nut huggers! And That's him!:wink:

Pagan
06-06-2006, 04:29 PM
:lol: nah i bet pagan is a very handsome gentleman. i picture a younger johnny sack. i'm no ginny sack though. :lol:
While I'd never come out and say I was handsome...I'm definitely not a younger Johnny Sack! :lol:

Not the best shot of me, but...me & Brother D-Day at the Jets game last year:
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/AlanJeff121805a-1.jpg

You got it! Add hair ( a lot) and nut huggers! And That's him!:wink:
Imma never live that down, will I? :lol:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 06:30 PM
so more of an eddie van halen thing. awesome. :D

d-day seems unsure of how to show the horns.

Dubfire
06-06-2006, 08:14 PM

I doubt it.

Thats what I have found so frustrating and in this case I agree Pagan.

I don't mind so much the direction they have gone in. I dont tune into the Sopranos every week to see bloodshed (not saying that you do). I understand the intent of the writers and David Chase is to humanize these characters so the normal "Joe" like me can relate to them.

When I see Paulie worrying about his health or Chris' life spiraling again because he cant control his addictions or Vito struggling with the truth, it allows me to connect with the characters because I can relate to some of those things.

The fact is you can't please everyone. This season has pissed off a lot of fans including me. It did end on some sort of cliffhanger implying that New York may be going after Chris but other than that, I have no idea what's going to happen next season. The evaporating plot lines is and has been very frustrating and the shows this season lacked continuity at times.

Den54
06-07-2006, 06:27 AM
While I'd never come out and say I was handsome...I'm definitely not a younger Johnny Sack! :lol:

Not the best shot of me, but...me & Brother D-Day at the Jets game last year:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/AlanJeff121805a.jpg

Imma never live that down, will I? :lol:

Dee Snyder and D DAY?:lol:
Hey Pagan, ever watch Nip Tuck?

Pagan
06-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Hey Pagan, ever watch Nip Tuck?
Is that an insult? :tantrum: :lol:

Den54
06-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Is that an insult? :tantrum: :lol:

No no no. Sorry about that. I was being serious about Nip Tuck. Its a great show imo. Nothing to do with your photo. Bad timing.:lol:

ohall
06-07-2006, 07:11 AM
I've only watched up to EP #2 so far, and it has been beyond boring. I sure hope it gets better!

Pagan
06-07-2006, 09:02 AM
No no no. Sorry about that. I was being serious about Nip Tuck. Its a great show imo. Nothing to do with your photo. Bad timing.:lol:
I kinda figured that. I was like "Man...first comparing me to Dee and then a "Nip/Tuck" reference? That WAS a bad pic!" :lol:

Never saw the show, but heard it was pretty out there. Imma have to catch it when I get a chance. Too wrapped up in "Rescue Me" now, and this Sunday there's a show debuting this Sunday on HBO called "Lucky Louie" (http://www.hbo.com/events/luckylouie/) that's supposed to be hilarious. :D