PDA

View Full Version : Why mess with 'The Omen?'

BAMAPHIN 22
06-06-2006, 09:17 AM
All remakes are needless, but this update of "The Omen" is especially so.

Not only was there nothing wrong with the 1976 horror classic, in which the Antichrist wreaks havoc on Earth as an innocent-looking 5-year-old boy, but the original stands as one of the most frightening movies. Ever.

It's so ingrained in our pop culture, all you have to do is say the name Damien and everyone instantly knows you're talking about a demonic child.

So why mess with it?

Thirty years later, the makers of "The Omen" barely have. They're exceedingly faithful to the original -- too much, actually -- including having "Omen" screenwriter David Seltzer return to tweak his own script.

It's not a shot-for-shot remake like Gus Van Sant's pointless "Psycho" from 1998, but it's close. The structure, characters, setting, events, giant chunks of dialogue -- all the same. One can only assume the intention was to appease the purists, but in doing so, director John Moore ("Behind Enemy Lines") has breathed no new life into the material.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/06/review.theomen.ap/index.html

dQbell
06-06-2006, 09:46 AM
I'd say it has something to do with the almighty dollar.

dolfinosteel
06-06-2006, 09:56 AM
I believe that Hollywood is running out of good ideas for new movies. That is why I think that we are seeing so many remakes of old movies. The Omen is a classic that should not be touched, just like the exercist.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-06-2006, 10:16 AM
originality is a crime.

Spray Mucus
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
It's so ingrained in our pop culture, all you have to do is say the name Damien and everyone instantly knows you're talking about a demonic child.

aint that the truth.

My name is Damon, and about 60% of the time when I introduce myself to somebody, people say "Damien, like the Omen"... or even worse, sometimes people say "Your name is Demon"... Yeah you moron, my mother named me Demon.

According to my mother, I would cry when I was a really young child because people would call me Damien the son of the devil... nice huh!

Pagan
06-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I believe that Hollywood is running out of good ideas for new movies.
Ding, ding ding! We have a winnah!

Spray Mucus
06-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Ding, ding ding! We have a winnah!

sounds like you haven't hear of the movie "The Pacifier"

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/B0009DWL8W01_SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg

it has ninjas in it!

Buddwalk
06-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Went to the 10 am showing this morning guys...Im disappointed too, the movie had a couple strongpoints and really had promise, but 2 things A) the actors sucked at making anything in this movie believable and B) they could never keep a decent pace through out the film, it was either going too fast or too slow. Now im not saying you shouldnt see the movie, if you've never seen the original I say go see this, then afterward watch the original. May give you a much better impression of the film then it did for me because the original was so great. This is kind of a bummer too i've been waiting for this movie for 2 years now, and Just disappointed overall :nono:

Also this is not another version of the omen, this is basically word for word shot for shot...its a complete remake. Now this film is gruesome at times, which is pretty cool if your a fan of blood. Out of a 10 I give the movie

5/10 worth a rental, if your bored and want to go to the movies this might work...but honestly if your interested in this movie just wait for it to come out.

Roman529
06-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I'll wait to rent it....isn't that cute blonde chickie in it? The original was good...wasn't Gregory Peck in it?

Jimi
06-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Went to the 10 am showing this morning guys...Im disappointed too, the movie had a couple strongpoints and really had promise, but 2 things A) the actors sucked at making anything in this movie believable and B) they could never keep a decent pace through out the film, it was either going too fast or too slow. Now im not saying you shouldnt see the movie, if you've never seen the original I say go see this, then afterward watch the original. May give you a much better impression of the film then it did for me because the original was so great. This is kind of a bummer too i've been waiting for this movie for 2 years now, and Just disappointed overall :nono:

Also this is not another version of the omen, this is basically word for word shot for shot...its a complete remake. Now this film is gruesome at times, which is pretty cool if your a fan of blood. Out of a 10 I give the movie

5/10 worth a rental, if your bored and want to go to the movies this might work...but honestly if your interested in this movie just wait for it to come out.

I agree i wasnt overly impressed. Ive never seen the original(its on my to-do list) but this one just wasnt all that great. Your completley right about the pacing that was one of my biggest problems.

Also i have a question for those of you who have seen it. Is the ending exactly the same in the original where the kid looks at the camera and smiles at the end? I thought it was pretty stupid and corny.

Majpain
06-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Its just a way for them to cash in on the whole 6/6/06 thing.

Buddwalk
06-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Its just a way for them to cash in on the whole 6/6/06 thing.

Actually the omen has been in the works for a couple years now to be remade the original release date was sometime in 2007. They pushed it ahead to catch on to the 6/6/06 thing like you said.

Wagon Circler
06-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Don't see it in the theatres, don't rent it.

Horrible movie. Another ****ty remake, how novel.

SCall13
06-08-2006, 06:46 AM
I remember how scared I was of the original Omen movie. Now, it's really dumb. Back when it was made, people in general hadn't been desensitized like we all are now. If I were to watch the original today, I'd roll my eyes at it. If I don't watch it, it will remain what it was when I was a kid: extremely spooky.

Noodle Arm
06-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Also i have a question for those of you who have seen it. Is the ending exactly the same in the original where the kid looks at the camera and smiles at the end? I thought it was pretty stupid and corny.

:yes:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
and i think the "weird quiet creepy kid with strange powers" idea has been overdone just a tad.

AirFishOne
06-08-2006, 09:58 AM
and i think the "weird quiet creepy kid with strange powers" idea has been overdone just a tad.

THANK YOU!!! I thought I was the only one who thought that

any chance for some spoilers as I have stil not seen the original?

Noodle Arm
06-08-2006, 10:01 AM

It's about as fresh and original as the "dead little girl ghost with long black hair"
:rolleyes2