PDA

View Full Version : Study says millions have 'rage' disorder

BAMAPHIN 22
06-06-2006, 01:42 PM
To you, that angry, horn-blasting tailgater is suffering from road rage. But doctors have another name for it — intermittent explosive disorder — and a new study suggests it is far more common than they realized, affecting up to 16 million Americans.

"People think it's bad behavior and that you just need an attitude adjustment, but what they don't know ... is that there's a biology and cognitive science to this," said Dr. Emil Coccaro, chairman of psychiatry at the University of Chicago's medical school.

Road rage, temper outbursts that involve throwing or breaking objects and even spousal abuse can sometimes be attributed to the disorder, though not everyone who does those things is afflicted.

By definition, intermittent explosive disorder involves multiple outbursts that are way out of proportion to the situation. These angry outbursts often include threats or aggressive actions and property damage. The disorder typically first appears in adolescence; in the study, the average age of onset was 14.

The study was based on a national face-to-face survey of 9,282 U.S. adults who answered diagnostic questionnaires in 2001-03. It was funded by the National Institute of Mental Health.

About 5 percent to 7 percent of the nationally representative sample had had the disorder, which would equal up to 16 million Americans. That is higher than better-known mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, Coccaro said.

The average number of lifetime attacks per person was 43, resulting in $1,359 in property damage per person. About 4 percent had suffered recent attacks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060605/ap_on_sc/road_rage_disease;_ylt=ArPN4ztmJQLjghBxObt0khCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

Spray Mucus
06-06-2006, 02:09 PM
:fire: I find this thread to be nothing but BS, what the heck where you thinking posting this crap... This is a stupid, re-tarded, good for nothing, waste of message board space!! :tantrum:

:wink:

GRAPEAPE
06-06-2006, 02:35 PM
What the **** are you talking about? This thread is a great posting. people have problems with rage. They need to get that **** in check. Like this ******* that pulled out in fron of me this morning I swear i wanted to rearend his silly *** and drag him through his window. Like Birth all over again. What a jackass. So i threw an empty Bottle at his car and he sped away. I mean really speeding in the morning when kids are getting on the bus, that guy needed help.

CharlestonPhan
06-06-2006, 03:14 PM
because everything has to be explained away as a disorder... no one is responsible for their own actions, and are helpless to stop themselves. :shakeno:

Roman529
06-06-2006, 03:26 PM
I get this way when some grannie swerves over into the left lane and then drives about 25 mph and you are boxed in and can't go around her. :tantrum:

Alex44
06-06-2006, 03:28 PM
because everything has to be explained away as a disorder... no one is responsible for their own actions, and are helpless to stop themselves. :shakeno:

:yeahthat:

If everything is a disorder we have no free will whatsoever

HysterikiLL
06-06-2006, 04:36 PM

only in america :chuckle:

Dolfan984
06-06-2006, 04:48 PM
This post makes me ANGRY! ARRRG! I have to punch something right now!!!

SuavePhin
06-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Oy, this is going to be used in so many courtrooms its going to be insane, only in America can you use "rage disorder" to justify bein an arse hole

Mike13
06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
I dont get mad, I get stabby.

icephinfan
06-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Rage..What Rage.....:tantrum: .....:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

dQbell
06-06-2006, 08:01 PM
While I do think what those doctors are saying is nonsense, there is a problem with anger in humans. Not just road rage. In almost all cases, anger is rooted in dissatisfaction with certain life circumstances. The road rage is many times displaced anger.

Something that really brought this to light in my life was seeing the movie Crash. Sandra Bulluck has a line in it where she says something to the effect of "Something is wrong with me. I'm angry at everyone and I don't even know why."

If you haven't seen Crash, do so. It's an excellent movie.

PassRush
06-07-2006, 04:36 AM
I swear to god, this thread makes me want to skin someone alive with a potato peeler, beat the crap out of the next person to cut me off, then go find a girlfriend and beat her