PDA

View Full Version : ****Official R&B and Soul Classics Thread****

Pages : [1] 2

dreday
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey we need a thread in here talking about R&B and Soul Classics..Afterall where would we be without it??With that I'll introduce to you the Bar-Kays.

The Bar-Kays were formed in Memphis, TN, in 1966, growing out of a local group dubbed the Imperials. Modeled on classic Memphis soul instrumental outfits like the Mar-Keys and Booker T. & the MG's, the Bar-Kays originally included guitarist Jimmy King (not the famed bluesman), trumpeter Ben Cauley, organist Ronnie Caldwell, saxophonist Phalon Jones.

Some of my favs from this group...."FreakShow on the Dancefloor","Shake Your Rump To The Funk",and "Shine"

d-day
06-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Hey we need a thread in here talking about R&B and Soul Classics..Afterall where would we be without it??With that I'll introduce to you the Bar-Kays.

The Bar-Kays were formed in Memphis, TN, in 1966, growing out of a local group dubbed the Imperials. Modeled on classic Memphis soul instrumental outfits like the Mar-Keys and Booker T. & the MG's, the Bar-Kays originally included guitarist Jimmy King (not the famed bluesman), trumpeter Ben Cauley, organist Ronnie Caldwell, saxophonist Phalon Jones.

Some of my favs from this group...."FreakShow on the Dancefloor","Shake Your Rump To The Funk",and "Shine"

here's hoping our idea takes off, dre :wink:

they were discovered by otis redding and he used them as a his back-up group - my favorite was "sexomatic" - you can sample some of the best of the barkays here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001DYQ/104-8282415-5044756?v=glance&n=5174

dreday
06-08-2006, 05:02 PM

they were discovered by otis redding and he used them as a his back-up group - my favorite was "sexomatic" - you can sample some of the best of the barkays here...

I guess w'ell never know unless we try....Theres so much to talk about with this genre tho....Hopefully it turns out well:wink:

Yes "sex o matic" was one of their all-time biggest hits.I just hated when they started changing band members.Their sound suffered for it.

dreday
06-08-2006, 05:22 PM
My dad would play this album alot in the car on long road trips:

Money Talks

Spawned the hit "Holy Ghost"

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/barkays4zt-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

d-day
06-08-2006, 06:28 PM
My dad would play this album alot in the car on long road trips:

Money Talks

Spawned the hit "Holy Ghost"

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8638/barkays4zt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:lol: you guys had a record player in your car, dre?!

dreday
06-08-2006, 06:29 PM
:lol: you guys had a record player in your car, dre?!
Nope..but we did have a 8track and cassette player:lol:

d-day
06-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Nope..but we did have a 8track and cassette player:lol:

i remember my mom had an 8track of the ohio players "fire" - looking back, my mom was pretty ****in cool :lol:

dreday
06-08-2006, 06:35 PM
i remember my mom had an 8track of the ohio players "fire" - looking back, my mom was pretty ****in cool :lol:
Moms from the 70's were always "cool"..Mine to this day is the coolest ever.I love her because she likes the CD's I make her.:lol:

d-day
06-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Moms from the 70's were always "cool"..Mine to this day is the coolest ever.I love her because she likes the CD's I make her.:lol:

my mom is responsible for my all musical tastes - i remember listening to sly stones stand when i was just learning to walk

go our moms :lol:

dreday
06-08-2006, 06:41 PM
my mom is responsible for my all musical tastes - i remember listening to sly stones stand when i was just learning to walk

go our moms :lol:
Yes!!shes the best....

I really grew up on music from when my mom and dad would have barbecues and we would go to picnics.When we lived in Taiwan I was 5-7 years old and when I would go to bed the songs would just play back in my head over and over.Music was def my first love.Moms loves me to this day for it.

OurHeartAndSoul
06-08-2006, 10:58 PM
I really enjoy listening to RnB and Soul music, with the Temptaions being my favorite group of all time. In fact they were the first concert I ever saw. Being 17 a lot of this music is beyond my time so I'm not as familiar with a lot of groups, which is why I really enjoyed this thread. I listenen to a bunch of Bar-Kay tracks and I really enjoyed 'Hit and Run" and "Holy Ghost" as well as "Sexomatic". This is a great thread and I look forward to more groups to check out.

d-day
06-08-2006, 11:14 PM
I really enjoy listening to RnB and Soul music, with the Temptaions being my favorite group of all time. In fact they were the first concert I ever saw. Being 17 a lot of this music is beyond my time so I'm not as familiar with a lot of groups, which is why I really enjoyed this thread. I listenen to a bunch of Bar-Kay tracks and I really enjoyed 'Hit and Run" and "Holy Ghost" as well as "Sexomatic". This is a great thread and I look forward to more groups to check out.

right on and welcome aboard :cooldude: - dre and i plan on putting the spotlight on everything that ever came out of that era - including the ohio players, isley bros., brick, confunkshun, ltd, zapp, rufus, brothers johnson, lakeside... just about anything and everything :up:

Rocky Raccoon
06-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm a fan of Otis Redding

d-day
06-08-2006, 11:24 PM

then you've heard the bar-kays - otis played a killer set at the monterey pop festival - unforunately he died 3 days after recording "sitting on the dock of the bay" in a plane crash and never saw it reach #1 - 4 members of the bar-kays died in that crash as well...

Rocky Raccoon
06-08-2006, 11:31 PM
then you've heard the bar-kays - otis played a killer set at the monterey pop festival - unforunately he died 3 days after recording "sitting on the dock of the bay" in a plane crash and never saw it reach #1 - 4 members of the bar-kays died in that crash as well...

:eek: I never knew that

some of my favorites...

I like Can't Turn You Loose
Pain In My Heart
Satisfaction
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa

dreday
06-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Yea what d-day said..But remember feel free to talk about any R&B music also.Me and Cyrus have been talking about the oldies for awhile.Finally started a thread and I think w'ell have some interesting convo.

d-day
06-08-2006, 11:53 PM
:eek: I never knew that

some of my favorites...

I like Can't Turn You Loose
Pain In My Heart
Satisfaction
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa

also, the black crowes had a huge hit with an otis redding song: hard to handle

Metal Panda
06-08-2006, 11:55 PM
I like Harold Melvin and the Blue NOtes

dreday
06-08-2006, 11:57 PM
He sadly was one of the members that passed in a plane crash:(

dreday
06-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Nothing wrong with a lil Teddy P.

d-day
06-08-2006, 11:59 PM

what a voice teddy pendergrass had... :whew: - shame what happened to him...

NaboCane
06-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Good thread Dre.

Is this going to go back to the guys who set the table; Junior Walker, Sam and Dave, Wilson Pickett, Archie Drell...the originals from Motown and Stax?

Me, I grew up on Motown, the Beatles, Santana, Hendrix; then came a real love for the Philadelphia Sound, which goes back all the way to the early 60's and developed right alongside the rest.

Motown overshadowed Philly for a long time, but the Philadelphia Sound broke out with the founding of the Philadelphia international label in '71, starting with new and re-released material from acts like Billy Paul and The Jaggerz, (Donnie Iris' original band, when he was still Dominic Lerace :wink: ) then hitting big with The O'Jays, The Sound Of Philadelphia, The Three Degrees; (aka TSOP) Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, (featuring lead singer Theodore Pendergrass); the group of PI house musicians which formed MFSB, (Mother, Father, Sister, Brother) with The Three Degrees on backup vocals.

Then came acts like Lou Rawls and the Stylistics, and later even Patti LaBelle. But the guys behind PI, Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, didn't just put their stamp on PI; they produced and arranged - and their house musicians played - on other Philly labels' acts: The Delfonics, The Temptations The Spinners, Blue Magic, Eddie Kendricks.

And no, that's not off the top of my head; check out the source, these guys did a wonderful job with their love of the genre:
http://www.bsnpubs.com/columbia/pistory.html

Also check these for even more extensive and richer appreciation of the history of the Philadelphia Sound, back to the times when jazz still hadn't given its gift of shaping modern music; back even to a time when the phrase described an orchestral sound.
http://www2.asanet.org/footnotes/julyaugust05/indexone.html
http://humanities.sas.upenn.edu/00-01/psound.htm
http://www.scena.org/columns/lebrecht/040421-NL-philadelphia.html

dreday
06-09-2006, 12:01 AM
what a voice teddy pendergrass had... :whew: - shame what happened to him...
He hosts a smooth grooves radio show in LA now... HOT 92 Jamz (http://www.hot92jamz.com/pages/streaming.html)

d-day
06-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Good thread Dre.

Is this going to go back to the guys who set the table; Junior Walker, Sam and Dave, Wilson Pickett, Archie Drell...the originals from Motown and Stax?

Me, I grew up on Motown, the Beatles, Santana, Hendrix; then came a real love for the Philadelphia Sound, which goes back all the way to the early 60's and developed right alongside the rest.

Motown overshadowed Philly for a long time, but the Philadelphia Sound broke out with the founding of the Philadelphia international label in '71, starting with new and re-released material from acts like Billy Paul and The Jaggerz, (Donnie Iris' original band, when he was still Dominic Lerace :wink: ) then hitting big with The O'Jays, The Sound Of Philadelphia, The Three Degrees; (aka TSOP) Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, (featuring lead singer Theodore Pendergrass); the group of PI house musicians which formed MFSB, (Mother, Father, Sister, Brother) with The Three Degrees on backup vocals.

Then came acts like Lou Rawls and the Stylistics, and later even Patti LaBelle. But the guys behind PI, Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, didn't just put their stamp on PI; they produced and arranged - and their house musicians played - on other Philly labels' acts: The Delfonics, The Temptations The Spinners, Blue Magic, Eddie Kendricks.

And no, that's not off the top of my head; check out the source, these guys did a wonderful job with their love of the genre:

Also check these for even more extensive and richer appreciation of the history of the Philadelphia Sound, back to the times when jazz still hadn't given its gift of shaping modern music; back even to a time when the phrase described an orchestral sound.

the philly sound was huge - my favorite from there was the spinners - and of course, billy pauls hit

d-day
06-09-2006, 12:04 AM
and the 3 degrees had a nice hit with precious moments

dreday
06-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Good thread Dre.

Oh yea this is all stuff I was raised on.You have to love the history.Can never forget these guys.Without them most of the "cheap" stuff w'ere getting these days wouldnt even exist.Man I miss the "music from the heart" days.Music was so much more personable then.I reminisce alot just so I can get away from all the negative stuff thats out now.True talent did actually exist.

NaboCane
06-09-2006, 12:07 AM

Music history's full of sad stories like that.

Janis Joplin and Kris Kristofferson were together for a time before she died; she went back to LA to do some studio work on an album, but took one of his songs with her to see if she could get it into the new album, which would become Pearl, her last.

Not too long after, Janis died; shortly after that, Kristofferson received a copy of the cut she had recorded of his song, Me and Bobby McGee.

NaboCane
06-09-2006, 12:09 AM
and the 3 degrees had a nice hit with precious moments

When Will I See You Again. :wink:

Check out the musicians on that list in the site Jeff, I know you'd dig it.

d-day
06-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Music history's full of sad stories like that.

Janis Joplin and Kris Kristofferson were together for a time before she died; she went back to LA to do some studio work on an album, but took one of his songs with her to see if she could get it into the new album, which would become Pearl, her last.

Not too long after, Janis died; shortly after that, Kristofferson received a copy of the cut she had recorded of his song, Me and Bobby McGee.

i'm a huge fan of his - he has a new record btw - worth the money - lends back to his early 70's bobby mcgee material - janis had quite the set at monterey pop as well - that festival made names out of joplin, hendrix, otis redding... a must see for all music fans...

d-day
06-09-2006, 12:17 AM
When Will I See You Again. :wink:

Check out the musicians on that list in the site Jeff, I know you'd dig it.

i loved barbara masons "are you ready" - not listed in that site but gamble and huff wrote my favorite jacksons song "enjoy yourself" - now that was a classic :wink:

NaboCane
06-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Oh yea this is all stuff I was raised on.You have to love the history.Can never forget these guys.Without them most of the "cheap" stuff w'ere getting these days wouldnt even exist.Man I miss the "music from the heart" days.Music was so much more personable then.I reminisce alot just so I can get away from all the negative stuff thats out now.True talent did actually exist.
You know Dre, I think about that a lot. I'm a person who has never lost touch with the pulse of music, except when it has gone places that I just don't find appealing.

Lately, I've been searching my soul for the reasons that I'm so repulsed by what has become of rap. Now, before anyone gets on a big crusade, this is meant as honest thought for discussion, not controversy.

I followed rap from when I started hearing about this street music from New York, which told stories through spoken lyrics. Before I actually heard it, I tried to think of what I had heard that would give me a frame of reference for that, and all I could come up with was the part in Knights in White Satin where Richard Burton talks with the music...and William Shatner's recording of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

Then I heard Rapper's Delight, and I said, "Ohhhhhhh...that's what they mean."

As the genre evolved, I followed it. Later when I heard NWA's Straight Outta Compton for the first time, I wasn't surprised; I had worked in Liberty City, Overtown, Bunche Park...I had seen the desperation firsthand, and I remembered the columns of smoke that so many times represented the constant anger felt every day by people held down in these places.

As the genre evolved more, I have to say that even I was angered by lyrics that talked about killing cops; it was a long time before I forgave Ice-T for Cop Killer. But then again, I knew what that came from. Even before Rodney King, we had Arthur McDuffie; an unarmed motorcyclist who failed to stop for police trying to pull him over for speeding, McDuffie was beaten to death in Overtown, suffering repeated blows to the head with maglites and nightsticks. Three days of rioting followed, expressing the community's outrage; three more days were endured later when his murderers were acquitted after a farce of a trial in which the defense was permitted to assassinate McDuffie's character, rather than defend the actions of the murderers.

Anyway, my point is that no matter how dark the message, I could understand it, even if it made me flinch a little.

But you have to understand that the music made by NWA, Ice-T, Dre, Snoop...that was all about describing a way of life, a response to real circumstances by human beings, real people.

But tell me...what the **** does 50 Cent's music describe?

Oh, yeah, there was a time - long ago and before the Bentleys and McLarens - when 50 Cent was a banger, and life was tough; and if he were still rappin about that, well...OK, it's been a while, but it's legit because of where he came from.

But now? Now you have the manufactured, made-for-record-sales "feuds..." how 50 is gonna pop a cap in the game's ***, how the game betta not step...whatever! And these kids, the ones buying all those albums, don't realize that it's theater, no different than pro wrestling, it's all a set-up to stir emotions, because emotions sell records.

It's all corporate now; and the guys with all the money - who, regardless, still want your money too - are making this **** up as they go along, and with the years-long, systematic lowering of standards and expectations from our entertainment they don't even have to work that hard at it.

And the guy I'm most disappointed in for fostering and nurturing and perpetuating this voluntary ignorance? Dre. Because, of the rest - the others in the record industry, the Tommy Mottola's and their ilk, I had no expectations - but I always held Dre in high regard for what he did, what he was a part of, what he accomplished. And then he goes and foists eminem on us. Boy, there's one punk I'd happily disabuse of his notion that he's some kind of tough guy.

So I've listened, and yeah - the beat is good, the hooks are there; if you had no expectations of your music, what the genre has become would do just fine. But it's empty, devoid of anything resembling meaning, except the meaning it has to 50 and eminem's accountants and mortgage brokers.

They're rappin about ****, they're talking about nothing more than protecting their "bling;" it's as if Donald Trump could rap, and he rapped on track after track about how no one was gonna cheat him on a real estate deal. Oh, and how he handled his *******. Real gripping stuff, that.

Actually, I'd buy the Trump album before I'd ever buy anything by eminem.

dreday
06-09-2006, 02:22 AM
You know Dre, I think about that a lot. I'm a person who has never lost touch with the pulse of music, except when it has gone places that I just don't find appealing.

Lately, I've been searching my soul for the reasons that I'm so repulsed by what has become of rap. Now, before anyone gets on a big crusade, this is meant as honest thought for discussion, not controversy.

I followed rap from when I started hearing about this street music from New York, which told stories through spoken lyrics. Before I actually heard it, I tried to think of what I had heard that would give me a frame of reference for that, and all I could come up with was the part in Knights in White Satin where Richard Burton talks with the music...and William Shatner's recording of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

Then I heard Rapper's Delight, and I said, "Ohhhhhhh...that's what they mean."

As the genre evolved, I followed it. Later when I heard NWA's Straight Outta Compton for the first time, I wasn't surprised; I had worked in Liberty City, Overtown, Bunche Park...I had seen the desperation firsthand, and I remembered the columns of smoke that so many times represented the constant anger felt every day by people held down in these places.

As the genre evolved more, I have to say that even I was angered by lyrics that talked about killing cops; it was a long time before I forgave Ice-T for Cop Killer. But then again, I knew what that came from. Even before Rodney King, we had Arthur McDuffie; an unarmed motorcyclist who failed to stop for police trying to pull him over for speeding, McDuffie was beaten to death in Overtown, suffering repeated blows to the head with maglites and nightsticks. Three days of rioting followed, expressing the community's outrage; three more days were endured later when his murderers were acquitted after a farce of a trial in which the defense was permitted to assassinate McDuffie's character, rather than defend the actions of the murderers.

Anyway, my point is that no matter how dark the message, I could understand it, even if it made me flinch a little.

But you have to understand that the music made by NWA, Ice-T, Dre, Snoop...that was all about describing a way of life, a response to real circumstances by human beings, real people.

But tell me...what the **** does 50 Cent's music describe?

Oh, yeah, there was a time - long ago and before the Bentleys and McLarens - when 50 Cent was a banger, and life was tough; and if he were still rappin about that, well...OK, it's been a while, but it's legit because of where he came from.

But now? Now you have the manufactured, made-for-record-sales "feuds..." how 50 is gonna pop a cap in the game's ***, how the game betta not step...whatever! And these kids, the ones buying all those albums, don't realize that it's theater, no different than pro wrestling, it's all a set-up to stir emotions, because emotions sell records.

It's all corporate now; and the guys with all the money - who, regardless, still want your money too - are making this **** up as they go along, and with the years-long, systematic lowering of standards and expectations from our entertainment they don't even have to work that hard at it.

And the guy I'm most disappointed in for fostering and nurturing and perpetuating this voluntary ignorance? Dre. Because, of the rest - the others in the record industry, the Tommy Mottola's and their ilk, I had no expectations - but I always held Dre in high regard for what he did, what he was a part of, what he accomplished. And then he goes and foists eminem on us. Boy, there's one punk I'd happily disabuse of his notion that he's some kind of tough guy.

So I've listened, and yeah - the beat is good, the hooks are there; if you had no expectations of your music, what the genre has become would do just fine. But it's empty, devoid of anything resembling meaning, except the meaning it has to 50 and eminem's accountants and mortgage brokers.

They're rappin about ****, they're talking about nothing more than protecting their "bling;" it's as if Donald Trump could rap, and he rapped on track after track about how no one was gonna cheat him on a real estate deal. Oh, and how he handled his *******. Real gripping stuff, that.

Actually, I'd buy the Trump album before I'd ever buy anything by eminem.

Well like you say it is a business.And todays youth like controversy and this is unfortunately what sells records.Im not not sure I want to blame the rappers themselves for it all, because there was a business before they actually knew anything about making money in music.Now that they know how to manipulate the press and make music that every kid in America wants to buy, they do whatever it takes to "get that money". Its really gotten bad.

Its bad because theyre doesnt really seem to be a high regard for human life anymore when it comes to "getting to the top", and making the most money.Even if it means death for the other man.Its a world of "let me see how many people I can get to like me",and Im "bigger and more powerful than you".There was violence before all of them were born.So rappers didnt create it.I mean look at how people to this day praise gangsters.John Gotti, Bugsy Seagal,this guy they think is buried under a football stadium cant think of his name right now.No different in rap.And your'e right its a me first world now more than ever.I hate that.And thats part of the reason why I wanted to start this thread so that we could talk about music that was positive and has a better influence.

I liked the old days when they rapped about something.Im with you.Now its all about who has the most dough and bling for the most part.Its not as fun anymore.Im not saying all of its bad but man its just really going in a direction that doesnt seem to be going anywhere.I wish I were an artist now.Id change the game.Id be different.Until somebody comes along to change it its only going to get worse.Where was it ever written that it was "cool" to die over music?Kids perceptions of cool these days are really bad.Whatever happened to just making good music?

Unfortunately yes Dre perpetuates alot of stuff now,but only because it makes money.And I do think its partly because of powers greater than him that this is.These record companies are HUGE.And if he doesnt go to work he doesnt get paid.Not to say I know him personally but the question would have to be "would he be doing this if it didnt make money?My guess would be no.It would be awfully hard to sell "nice" and "clean cut" for him because of who he is.Anyways I hope this R&B thread starts some good convos and people learn about more the genre.Nothing like expanding ones musical horizons.Its great music.Its what I grew up on.And I know you know that Nabo.I just wanted to add my thoughts on the whole thing.Heres to looking forward to some great conversations about R&B and classic soul.

d-day
06-09-2006, 11:33 AM
todays group: brick

brick was a group out atlanta that brought a fusion of funk and a bit of jazz - their biggest hit "dazz" was a song about disco/jazz and peaked at #3

samples below...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002AYH/ref=pd_sim_m_1/104-8282415-5044756?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174

dreday
06-09-2006, 11:51 AM

brick was a group out atlanta that brought a fusion of funk and a bit of jazz - their biggest hit "dazz" was a song about disco/jazz and peaked at #3

samples below...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002AYH/ref=pd_sim_m_1/104-8282415-5044756?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174
:yes: Their last hit was 1981's (Sweat Til You Get Wet)cool song.Another one of my favs.Dad passed this one on to me too.Thanx pops!!

dreday
06-09-2006, 12:02 PM
That song "Dazz" has been sampled so much its not even funny...Get the original fellas!!

d-day
06-09-2006, 12:03 PM
:yes: Their last hit was 1981's (Sweat Til You Get Wet)cool song.Another one of my favs.Dad passed this one on to me too.Thanx pops!!

in the linky, amazon has best of brick and best of lakeside for $20 - can't go wrong with that combo... :wink:

dreday
06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
in the linky, amazon has best of brick and best of lakeside for $20 - can't go wrong with that combo... :wink:
Nope not at all and youre getting more than 20$ worth of quality music:cooldude:

dreday
06-09-2006, 02:11 PM
The Spinners (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Ix8I9iOXk&search=the%20spinners)

Gotta Love these live performances..These guys still have the moves!!:yes:

Felipe Wynn still sounds good.

dreday
06-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Live In Amsterdam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXh5LvVlBLQ&search=marvin%20gaye)

Live In Amsterdam pt.2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UKX427Nlyg&search=marvin%20gaye)

Mercy Mercy Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylmCstF3-xE&search=marvin%20gaye)

Sexual Healing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqGM0eFx6ms&search=marvin%20gaye)...Put this on and youll get anywoman.

Marvin and Tina on the Shindig (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOsBVVBzcWU&search=marvin%20gaye)

Gladys Knight & Marvin Gaye (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zr4ZJIWuuM&search=marvin%20gaye) Spectacular performance!!

Aint That Peculiar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my6b4iUH7Xo&search=marvin%20gaye)

Whats Going On (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s&search=marvin%20gaye)....For the Troops!!

Inner City Blues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-KZfYHzsQQ&search=marvin%20gaye)
One of the best!!

Got To Give It Up pt.1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg-NVOftfAE&search=marvin%20gaye)

dreday
06-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Private Eyes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLfoy2XsFw&search=hall%20%26%20Oates)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SwEKPwk-zk&search=hall%20%26%20Oates

Check out the hair :lol:

NaboCane
06-09-2006, 03:10 PM
The Spinners (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Ix8I9iOXk&search=the%20spinners)

Gotta Love these live performances..These guys still have the moves!!:yes:

Felipe Wynn still sounds good.

That was GREAT! :D

Man, I love those guys.

NaboCane
06-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Live In Amsterdam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXh5LvVlBLQ&search=marvin%20gaye)

Now there's a lesson in stage presence. On man, wearing a jacket that would have made George Clinton proud, and you can't take your eyes off him.

NaboCane
06-10-2006, 05:05 AM

samples below...

Man, that's sweet. I was only aware of them through Dazz; very distinctive sound.

dreday
06-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Heres one more from Marvin when he received a grammy for "Sexual Healing".Notice Rick James being one of the presenters.Man its seems most all of our best musicians ever are all gone...for any genre music.Anyways enjoy the live version of "Sexual Healing"............Sexual Healing Live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wq8y7M5DTA&search=marvin%20gaye)

Metal Panda
06-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Nabo, that was a well thoughtout post.

For rap of today, I wouldn't say I stick strictly to the "underground" because most of what I like is still well known, but it's still not the stuff that gets airplay nowadays.

Stuff like 50 Cent is garbage, and Trick Daddy, Ying Yang Twinz, anything Cash Money does...I don't even like Jay Z. I almost htink DMX is largely also at fault for the mainstream rap decline.

today's mainstream rap isn't even good sonically--I once heard a rumor that is probably an urban legend, but epitomizes today's rap: that one of the Ruff Ryders producers was sued for using one of Casio's pre-programmed beats as a beat on a song.

True? Probably not. But it wouldn't surprise me if it were :)

dreday
06-10-2006, 12:51 PM

Heres some Bar-Kays videos for:

Freakshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BXZMmhGZ9E&search=bar-kays)

Lets Have Some Fun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAQkyvPGyy8&search=bar-kays)

Your Place Or Mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X2jyhpAoqg&search=bar-kays)

Heres one with Otis Redding an all-time fav..Man what shouldve been!!

Otis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCPDzVpJ0e8&search=bar-kays)

dreday
06-10-2006, 01:08 PM
I love this song too...What You Wont Do For Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuo1deYXnIw&search=bobby%20caldwell)

d-day
06-10-2006, 02:15 PM
I love this song too...What You Wont Do For Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuo1deYXnIw&search=bobby%20caldwell)

:hi5: great find dre - my absolute favorite song from this genre hands down

d-day
06-10-2006, 02:22 PM
i couldn't find marvins "when did you stop loving me, when did i stop loving you" but i did find my second fave of his "aint that peculiar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my6b4iUH7Xo&search=marvin%20gaye

d-day
06-10-2006, 02:24 PM

here's lakesides "fantastic voyage"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTcDrzkyOoM&search=lakeside

Roman529
06-10-2006, 02:26 PM
The best song was Earth Angel, by the Penguins.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

dreday
06-10-2006, 02:32 PM
The best song was Earth Angel, by the Penguins.

http://www.raucousshop.co.uk/Graphics/penguinsearth.jpg
Look at Roman showin' his age:lol: j/k...Thats a def big-time classic.So many remakes of that song.

Roman529
06-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Look at Roman showin' his age:lol: j/k...Thats a def big-time classic.So many remakes of that song.

My dad has a bunch of do-woop records....he grew up on this stuff in Philly...where Dick Clark came from. They had lots of great groups from there. :wink:

dreday
06-10-2006, 02:39 PM

Couldnt find my fav from them...So heres Turn The Music Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO2hzQO4oMQ&search=lakeside) Nice and fonky

Roman529
06-10-2006, 02:41 PM
"Come along and ride on the Fantastic Voyage......I'm the Captain of the vessel, and you are under my command," (sing it Roman!!!! :lol: )

Good stuff Lakeside!!!!

dreday
06-10-2006, 02:41 PM
My dad has a bunch of do-woop records....he grew up on this stuff in Philly...where Dick Clark came from. They had lots of great groups from there. :wink:
Yea theres no denying that Philly sound was very strong back then.Lots of great producers with that "philly sound" from there.

dreday
06-10-2006, 02:43 PM

:lol: Gotta Love the style man..Gotta Love it

d-day
06-10-2006, 02:47 PM
:lol: Gotta Love the style man..Gotta Love it

right on - that's what it was all about - style, flash, personality - i want to be in lakeside... :boohoo: :lol:

d-day
06-10-2006, 02:50 PM
i found it dre!

the jacksons "enjoy yourself" written by gamble and huff - doesn't get any better than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7WnguetuIs&search=enjoy%20yourself

dreday
06-10-2006, 02:51 PM
right on - that's what it was all about - style, flash, personality - i want to be in lakeside... :boohoo: :lol:
:idea: Hey we could do that with the Finheaven band....Have to think of a name tho.:lol:

dreday
06-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Heres Minnie Riperton....Super classic Loving You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFKOO7Ze6vY&search=minnie%20riperton)

dreday
06-10-2006, 06:37 PM
i found it dre!

the jacksons "enjoy yourself" written by gamble and huff - doesn't get any better than this...

Cool song...Gotta love the Jackson5...Legends infinite!!:up:.The space suits were popular then :lol:

dreday
06-10-2006, 06:50 PM
i found it dre!

Gamble and Huff were responsible for that "Philly" sound. They produced one of my favs from them "Let Me Show You The Way".Also alot of OJays stuff.Heres another fav from the Jacksons....Can You Feel It (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaADnQzdyP8)

dreday
06-10-2006, 07:04 PM
i found it dre!

Heres one for ya d-day.Remember Hot Chocolate?? Every 1's A Winner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVkNPviBTOs).This is a different version...but its still cool.

Also one my all-time favs.....You Sexy Thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U68UizF7sto)

305TillIDie
06-10-2006, 07:16 PM
"Shake You Down"- Gregory Abbott

one of my favorite classic r&b songs of all time :cooldude:

OurHeartAndSoul
06-11-2006, 12:23 AM
What could have been... :(

http://sixtiesmotown.co.uk/Ruffin_Common%20Man.wmv

OurHeartAndSoul
06-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Here's another good clip, though small, from soul train... http://sixtiesmotown.co.uk/Commodores_machine_gun.wmv

NaboCane
06-11-2006, 02:25 AM
Heres some Bar-Kays videos for:

Freakshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BXZMmhGZ9E&search=bar-kays)

Lets Have Some Fun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAQkyvPGyy8&search=bar-kays)

Your Place Or Mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X2jyhpAoqg&search=bar-kays)

Heres one with Otis Redding an all-time fav..Man what shouldve been!!

Otis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCPDzVpJ0e8&search=bar-kays)

Wow! The Otis...never heard that live. What beautiful mastery he had of the phrasing.

dolfan_101
06-11-2006, 02:30 AM
Mrs.joooooooooooones

NaboCane
06-11-2006, 02:37 AM

:lol: That was soooo much fun to watch...you're right, I wanna do that for a living. So cool...:cooldude:

NaboCane
06-11-2006, 02:38 AM
Mrs.joooooooooooones

Another Philly star, later recorded for PI.

dreday
06-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Wow! The Otis...never heard that live. What beautiful mastery he had of the phrasing.
I know...so many of the greats lost, but their music lives on forever.

dreday
06-11-2006, 10:08 AM
"Shake You Down"- Gregory Abbott

one of my favorite classic r&b songs of all time :cooldude:
Go figure...My mom loves him and the song.This song has a good melody 305.:wink:

dreday
06-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Here's another good clip, though small, from soul train... http://sixtiesmotown.co.uk/Commodores_machine_gun.wmv
My mom went to college with them in Bama.She says they used to have shows all the time on campus.She says they were "always doing something".

Metal Panda
06-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Lenny Williams--cause I love you

d-day
06-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Heres one for ya d-day.Remember Hot Chocolate?? Every 1's A Winner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVkNPviBTOs).This is a different version...but its still cool.

Also one my all-time favs.....You Sexy Thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U68UizF7sto)

nice pull dre - they had a very distictive sound

d-day
06-11-2006, 03:07 PM
i saw my boy terence trent on a saturday night live re-reun last night - here's a few videos...

wishing well with his very very hotgirlfriend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2jskRMqWlE&search=terence%20trent%20darby

the very sexy sign your name
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4jJbKIy4QM&search=terence%20trent%20darby

d-day
06-11-2006, 03:13 PM
...and here's delicate w/ the incredible desree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW-52LNIwg0&search=terence%20trent%20darby

d-day
06-11-2006, 03:21 PM
live "do you love me like you say you" with his hair cut and bleached on the symphany or damn tour - one of my faves off the album - amazing how close to the album it sounds - the production on symphony or damn was second to none

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41S1zm50Oz4&search=terence%20trent%20darby

Roman529
06-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Great thread Dre!!! My favorite R&B songs:

1. I Heard It Through the Grapevine (Marvin Gaye, my fave singer).
2. Papa Has a Brand New Bag (James Brown)
3. R-e-s-p-e-c-t - Aretha
4. My Girl - The Temptations (my fave R&B group).
5. In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett.
6. The Great Pretender - The Platters
7. Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye
8. This Old Heart of Mine - Isley brothers.
9. Mercy mercy Me - Marvin Gaye
10. Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson

dreday
06-11-2006, 08:35 PM
i saw my boy terence trent on a saturday night live re-reun last night - here's a few videos...

These are def both classics.I was by way of Germany when these came out.I really liked them as a teen, but they sound better now.He couldnt have made a better video for Sign Your Name.His girfriend in both videos?Shes a sweetie!

dreday
06-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Great thread Dre!!! My favorite R&B songs:

1. I Heard It Through the Grapevine (Marvin Gaye, my fave singer).
2. Papa Has a Brand New Bag (James Brown)
3. R-e-s-p-e-c-t - Aretha
4. My Girl - The Temptations (my fave R&B group).
5. In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett.
6. The Great Pretender - The Platters
7. Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye
8. This Old Heart of Mine - Isley brothers.
9. Mercy mercy Me - Marvin Gaye
10. Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson
:up: All these above are def classics.That said "you know ur stuff man".As for the Isley Bros, I just made one for d-day and its hot!!Its slow stuff, but itll put your girlie in the mood:D Lemme know if you wanna copy and i'll meet you somewhere and give it to you.Any other requests just lemme know.:wink:Wasnt music so much more fun when it was made this way?

dreday
06-11-2006, 08:45 PM
...and here's delicate w/ the incredible desree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW-52LNIwg0&search=terence%20trent%20darby

Beautiful song these 2 have....

dreday
06-11-2006, 08:49 PM
live "do you love me like you say you" with his hair cut and bleached on the symphany or damn tour - one of my faves off the album - amazing how close to the album it sounds - the production on symphony or damn was second to none

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41S1zm50Oz4&search=terence%20trent%20darby
Good stuff, is he still touring?

d-day
06-11-2006, 09:32 PM
:up: All these above are def classics.That said "you know ur stuff man".As for the Isley Bros, I just made one for d-day and its hot!!Its slow stuff, but itll put your girlie in the mood:D Lemme know if you wanna copy and i'll meet you somewhere and give it to you.Any other requests just lemme know.:wink:Wasnt music so much more fun when it was made this way?

i was just telling ice this same thing the other day when i posted the enjoy yourself linky - music used to be a lot more fun - just check out any video posted in this thread... where did all the fun in music go...?

dreday
06-11-2006, 10:34 PM

On the subject of late 80' early 90's heres some that caught my ear.Where were you when this was all happening?

Secret Garden (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcBN1SOv62o)

They used to say "Andre, you and Al B must be brothers", when I was in high school.:lol: Nite & Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK5HUuCmIPY)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GOBDzwWT2w

Misunderstanding (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be2t_1VyjNI)

NaboCane
06-12-2006, 02:01 AM

Linda Fiorentino:hump:

Ju arr weerjin, yes...?

d-day
06-12-2006, 04:36 AM
On the subject of late 80' early 90's heres some that caught my ear.Where were you when this was all happening?

Secret Garden (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcBN1SOv62o)

They used to say "Andre, you and Al B must be brothers", when I was in high school.:lol: Nite & Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK5HUuCmIPY)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GOBDzwWT2w

Misunderstanding (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be2t_1VyjNI)

i was just about to post this :lol: - a true r+b classic = great minds think alike... :wink:

dreday
06-12-2006, 10:01 AM
i was just about to post this :lol: - a true r+b classic = great minds think alike... :wink:
:lol:

dreday
06-12-2006, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=d-day]i couldn't find marvins "when did you stop loving me, when did i stop loving you" but i did find my second fave of his "aint that peculiar"

Heres one every Motown lover should have....Has all his hits from Motown.
Remaster Reissue (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T9UK/qid=1150121513/ref=br_lf_m_4/002-8024351-7412037?n=67185&s=music&v=glance)

dreday
06-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Mrs.joooooooooooones
There have been alot of artists that covered this song.Harold melvin & The Bluenotes,Freddie Jackson,The Dramatics etc.My personal fav version of this song came from Billy Paul.Me and Mrs Jones:The Best of Billy Paul (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000IIWW/qid=1150122616/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-8024351-7412037?s=music&v=glance&n=5174)

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://imageshack.us)

NaboCane
06-12-2006, 02:26 PM
There have been alot of artists that covered this song.Harold melvin & The Bluenotes,Freddie Jackson,The Dramatics etc.My personal fav version of this song came from Billy Paul.Me and Mrs Jones:The Best of Billy Paul (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000IIWW/qid=1150122616/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-8024351-7412037?s=music&v=glance&n=5174)

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/93/d41297ot62d3yf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Isn't it wrong that there isn't a clip to be found of Paul performing his signature song?

NaboCane
06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Isn't it wrong that there isn't a clip to be found of Paul performing his signature song?

Here's one (bad) 30-second clip I found...the added bonus is that Billy's chompin on a stogie while he sings the song...:lol:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UTF-8&p=billy+paul&b=7&oid=914ad2e5ac69abfc&rurl=www.k2.dion.ne.jp&vdone=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.yahoo.com%2Fvideo%2Fsearch%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3Dbilly%2Bpaul&vback=Results

dreday
06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
I know thats horrible...I couldnt find one.I looked and looked.:mad:

dreday
06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Here's one (bad) 30-second clip I found...the added bonus is that Billy's chompin on a stogie while he sings the song...:lol:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UTF-8&p=billy+paul&b=7&oid=914ad2e5ac69abfc&rurl=www.k2.dion.ne.jp&vdone=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.yahoo.com%2Fvideo%2Fsearch%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3Dbilly%2Bpaul&vback=Results
Ok here we go...The Stogie:lol: I wonder what Mrs Jones thought of that?
Not so sure I would have used that as a stage prop,but if it works for him.

NaboCane
06-12-2006, 02:57 PM
http://launch.yahoo.com/ar-250115-launchcast--Marvin-Gaye

Here's an internet station from yahoo that's dedicated to Gaye and other soul acts of the period.

Also, on amazon I found a lot of his performances on dvd, including Live in Montreaux 1980, recorded live performances from 1964-1981, and one gem - a documentary just released about the man and his life (in the separate link).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-0502909-7508832?url=index%3Ddvd&search-type=quick-search&field-keywords=marvin+gaye

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIHJXS/qid=1150139140/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/002-0502909-7508832?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

NaboCane
06-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Ok here we go...The Stogie:lol: I wonder what Mrs Jones thought of that?
Not so sure I would have used that as a stage prop,but if it works for him.

See, this is what I miss - you never really knew what to excpect from an artist then. :lol:

dreday
06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
See, this is what I miss - you never really knew what to excpect from an artist then. :lol:
Likewise...Nowadays theres less stage prop,more just gimme my money so I can go.Its more "hey look at me" and less entertaining.

dreday
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
http://launch.yahoo.com/ar-250115-launchcast--Marvin-Gaye

Here's an internet station from yahoo that's dedicated to Gaye and other soul acts of the period.

Also, on amazon I found a lot of his performances on dvd, including Live in Montreaux 1980, recorded live performances from 1964-1981, and one gem - a documentary just released about the man and his life (in the separate link).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-0502909-7508832?url=index%3Ddvd&search-type=quick-search&field-keywords=marvin+gaye

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIHJXS/qid=1150139140/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/002-0502909-7508832?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

Thanks Nabo...Now Im already set for Christmas presents.:lol:

NaboCane
06-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Likewise...Nowadays theres less stage prop,more just gimme my money so I can go.Its more "hey look at me" and less entertaining.

Exactly. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised by something genuinely witty like bringing a cigar onstage while you sing a love song than see the chili peppers onstage, naked save for a sock on their dongs. :rolleyes:

d-day
06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
rufus: featuring chaka khan - chaka scored a big hit with prince's "i feel for you" but i'll always remember "tell me something good" the most

here's a live version...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D7h04FfNVJ0&search=tell%20me%20something%20good

dreday
06-12-2006, 05:54 PM
rufus: featuring chaka khan - chaka scored a big hit with prince's "i feel for you" but i'll always remember "tell me something good" the most

here's a live version...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D7h04FfNVJ0&search=tell%20me%20something%20good
I'll "tell her something good".Ive always thought she was sexy esp when she was that size:lol: Prince has written alot of big-time hits for other artists.Remember Do Me Baby by Meli' sa Morgan?Anyways heres Pop Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM9K-honRm4&search=prince) the live version.

d-day
06-12-2006, 05:56 PM
I'll "tell her something good".Ive always thought she was sexy esp when she was that size:lol: Prince has written alot of big-time hits for other artists.Remeber Do Me Baby by Meli' sa Morgan?Anyways heres Pop Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM9K-honRm4&search=prince) the live version.

some of his biggest hits were recorded by others... he wrote manic monday for the bangles, nothing compares to you for sinead oconnor, i feel for you for chaka khan...

NaboCane
06-12-2006, 05:58 PM
RUFUS! :lol: I always kind of got a kick out of the name, because my neighborhood butcher was named Rufus. A great guy, and an unsung hero to a lot of folks in the community. But I digress...

I remember when Tell Me Something Good hit big, and the band was named simply "Rufus." Then Chaka wanted better billing and got her name added.

dreday
06-12-2006, 05:58 PM
some of his biggest hits were recorded by others... he wrote manic monday for the bangles, nothing compares to you for sinead oconnor, i feel for you for chaka khan...
Yes I loved those...I loved the "bald chick" Sinead Oconnor

NaboCane
06-12-2006, 05:59 PM

All women...hmmmm... :lol:

I think Prince hit more tail off his song trades than his fame.

dreday
06-12-2006, 06:02 PM
All women...hmmmm... :lol:

I think Prince hit more tail off his song trades than his fame.
Yea really..Dont forget he even recorded an album with Carmen Electra...He hit that too.Oh and even Vanity anybody remember her?Shes a preacher now.

d-day
06-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Yea really..Dont forget he even recorded an album with Carmen Electra...He hit that too.Oh and even Vanity anybody remember her?Shes a preacher now.

and don't forget the hottest one of them all imo... apollonia :drool:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/app2-1.jpg

i have this cd... :lol:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Apolloniakotero.jpg)

NaboCane
06-12-2006, 06:09 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/jleroue/musicpages/minneapolis/apollonia/app2.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Apolloniakotero.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Apolloniakotero.jpg):hump:

dreday
06-12-2006, 06:15 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Apolloniakotero.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Apolloniakotero.jpg)
Damn I didnt think anybody had that CD:lol:.Or Carmens for that matter. I loved her in Purple Rain..Not for her acting abilities:D Yea hes got a pretty good track record by all means no doubt.

d-day
06-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Damn I didnt think anybody had that CD:lol:.Or Carmens for that matter. I loved her in Purple Rain..Not for her acting abilities:D Yea hes got a pretty good track record by all means no doubt.

i quit my band just before signing a contract in atlanta because i met a girl who looked just like her in every way... :lol:

i married her too... sucker :lol:

dreday
06-12-2006, 06:24 PM
i quit my band just before signing a contract in atlanta because i met a girl who looked just like her in every way... :lol:

i married her too... sucker :lol:
Man too bad "looks" doesnt make a good wife:lol: Heres that Vanity6 video Nasty Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpsjzwdzyQU&search=vanity).I saw Vanity in Playboy she was hot!!

I actually own this album with this song on it.Pretty Mess (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo7W2aToaEs&search=vanity)

Too bad her vocals werent all that but heresUnder The Influence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQ9O4tO4PA&search=vanity)too.I wonder what this song would be with some half decent vocals.She had everything else tho.

dreday
06-12-2006, 06:43 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Apolloniakotero.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Apolloniakotero.jpg)
Too bad I cant put the whole movie on here:lol: But heres the song Purple Rain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SF_jY-vMuY&search=purple%20rain).

Metal Panda
06-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Too bad I cant put the whole movie on here:lol: But heres the song Purple Rain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SF_jY-vMuY&search=purple%20rain).

Purple Rain the album ruled. Purple Rain the movie SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED. and this coming from a Prince fanboy :).

I still laugh hysterically at the first "emotional" scene, where PRince goes DAAAAAAAAAAAD.

d-day
06-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Purple Rain the album ruled. Purple Rain the movie SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED. and this coming from a Prince fanboy :).

I still laugh hysterically at the first "emotional" scene, where PRince goes DAAAAAAAAAAAD.

yeah but purple rain the movie with morris day in the scenes was money...

[Watching his girl group rehearse a dance routine]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): Oh, Lord. Cut! Cut!
[pause]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): You ladies don't seem to realize how valuable my time is. You're going to make my boys look bad!
Jill (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428379/): Why don't you let us come up with our own steps?
[Jerome shakes his head violently]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): We tried that, remember? Now, you're in the best possible position you could be in. So what's the matter? Your shoes on too tight or something?
[Claps]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): Let's have some action! Let's have some ***** wigglin'... I want some perfection!
[Cackles, cues music]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): [Girls start dancing again, more seductively]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): [watching; sotto to Jerome] I think I'm gonna need a drink.

Metal Panda
06-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Morris WAS great in the movie. He outshined Prince biiiigtime.

dreday
06-12-2006, 09:21 PM
yeah but purple rain the movie with morris day in the scenes was money...

[Watching his girl group rehearse a dance routine]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): Oh, Lord. Cut! Cut!
[pause]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): You ladies don't seem to realize how valuable my time is. You're going to make my boys look bad!
Jill (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428379/): Why don't you let us come up with our own steps?
[Jerome shakes his head violently]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): We tried that, remember? Now, you're in the best possible position you could be in. So what's the matter? Your shoes on too tight or something?
[Claps]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): Let's have some action! Let's have some ***** wigglin'... I want some perfection!
[Cackles, cues music]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): [Girls start dancing again, more seductively]
Morris (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206528/): [watching; sotto to Jerome] I think I'm gonna need a drink.
I think people enjoyed the novelty of it all in the beginning, me being one.When it came out I was 13-14 so the hype and then of course the success of the album set me forth.Watching it now, eh, but i'll never forget that scene where he left her at the lake with her top off.That was classic:D

d-day
06-13-2006, 02:02 AM
I think people enjoyed the novelty of it all in the beginning, me being one.When it came out I was 13-14 so the hype and then of course the success of the album set me forth.Watching it now, eh, but i'll never forget that scene where he left her at the lake with her top off.That was classic:D

:yeahthat:

Apollonia (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467664/): Will you help me?
The Kid (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002239/): No.
Apollonia (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467664/): Pardon me?
The Kid (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002239/): Nope... Wanna know why?
Apollonia (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467664/): Nope.
The Kid (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002239/): Because you wouldn't pass the initiation.
Apollonia (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467664/): What initiation?
The Kid (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002239/): Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.
Apollonia (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467664/): What?
The Kid (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002239/): You have to purify yourself in Lake Minnetonka.
[She strips down, and runs towards the lake]
The Kid (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002239/): Hey! Wait a minute! That's...
[She jumps in. She gets out shivering]
The Kid (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002239/): Uh, hold it...
Apollonia (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467664/): What?
The Kid (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002239/): That ain't Lake Minnetonka.

dreday
06-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Heres to starting your Christmas shopping early...Man the best of Prince for 13$ man what a steal.2001'The Very Best Of Prince (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005M989/sr=1-2/qid=1150219492/ref=sr_1_2/002-8024351-7412037?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=music).Truly is the very best.http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Heres a song off his newest CD.Nice and funky track. Black Sweat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSdwZdysIFM&search=prince)

dreday
06-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Real name Shaffer Smith.To be honest I didnt even want to give this "newcomer" a try.After hearing this album and had to do a 360.The album may be R&B album of the year.Hes a truly talented young guy,only 23.Hes already penned tunes for popular artists such as Mario "Let Me Love You" #1 hit,Mary J Blige,and many others.This is his second solo album but the first to be released.For all you younger R&B fans this one is sure to be a classic one day.He's got what it takes.Pick this one up.

In My Own Words (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQM4ZQ/sr=8-1/qid=1150220492/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8024351-7412037?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/neyo5hl-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Heres his newest video.....Sexy Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi2N6L2iKIs&search=ne-yo)

NaboCane
06-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Real name Shaffer Smith.To be honest I didnt even want to give this "newcomer" a try.After hearing this album and had to do a 360.The album may be R&B album of the year.Hes a truly talented young guy,only 23.Hes already penned tunes for popular artists such as Mario "Let Me Love You" #1 hit,Mary J Blige,and many others.This is his second solo album but the first to be released.For all you younger R&B fans this one is sure to be a classic one day.He's got what it takes.Pick this one up.

In My Own Words (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQM4ZQ/sr=8-1/qid=1150220492/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8024351-7412037?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8764/neyo5hl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Heres his newest video.....Sexy Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi2N6L2iKIs&search=ne-yo)

Sweet. I'll give him a listen later.

NaboCane
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Andre, different subject...how do you like the new outkast?

dreday
06-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Andre, different subject...how do you like the new outkast?
There was a thread on this subject a few days ago announcing the new song Might-O.The consensus on this message board was that they didnt like it.Well Im not so sure what there is not to like about it.I mean Outkast does what I expect them to do every time.Be different.You have to be real careful about new Outkast music.They always change the ballgame and do the unexpected,so I think you have to listen to their music that way.I think everybody who replied in that thread that didnt like it will remain a fan and probably more than likely buy the new album.Personally after listening to the new song a few times more,Im enjoying it more and more. I do wish they would have released a song called Rats and Roaches for their first single though.

As for the last album I was really digging Andre3000's half of the album.Always new and ecclectic energy.Hes very talented.I wasnt real sure what Big Boi was trying to do.I liked The Way You move, but after that I got lost.Word is,is that Andre wanted out of the contract that held he and Big Boi together.He wanted to do his own thing.Not sure how true that is but I think he could make it on his own.Big Boi needs him more than Andre needs him.However I dont ever want to see them break up.Best rap group out right now.

NaboCane
06-13-2006, 04:22 PM
There was a thread on this subject a few days ago announcing the new song Might-O.The consensus on this message board was that they didnt like it.Well Im not so sure what there is not to like about it.I mean Outkast does what I expect them to do every time.Be different.You have to be real careful about new Outkast music.They always change the ballgame and do the unexpected,so I think you have to listen to their music that way.I think everybody who replied in that thread that didnt like it will remain a fan and probably more than likely buy the new album.Personally after listening to the new song a few times more,Im enjoying it more and more. I do wish they would have released a song called Rats and Roaches for their first single though.

As for the last album I was really digging Andre3000's half of the album.Always new and ecclectic energy.Hes very talented.I wasnt real sure what Big Boi was trying to do.I liked The Way You move, but after that I got lost.Word is,is that Andre wanted out of the contract that held he and Big Boi together.He wanted to do his own thing.Not sure how true that is but I think he could make it on his own.Big Boi needs him more than Andre needs him.However I dont ever want to see them break up.Best rap group out right now.

Yeah, I keep hearing mixed reports; I think it's because of what you said.

Funny thing is, everyone who reviews the album brings up their last one - so why are they surprised that this one is different? They should know by now what they're listening to.

Loved the last one, BTW; same impression as you - the a3000 side was phenomenal. The big boi side was ok...but not a lot there that isn't being done already.

dreday
06-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I keep hearing mixed reports; I think it's because of what you said.

Funny thing is, everyone who reviews the album brings up their last one - so why are they surprised that this one is different? They should know by now what they're listening to.

Loved the last one, BTW; same impression as you - the a3000 side was phenomenal. The big boi side was ok...but not a lot there that isn't being done already.
Exactly.Thats one thing about them.Theyre not going to keep giving you the same stuff over and over.Maybe thats what people expect, but Im sure sure theyll keep doing theyre own thing.Thats what makes them "Outkast".

dreday
06-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Looks good to me.Idlewild Preview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BarBOirgd8&search=outkast)

d-day
06-13-2006, 05:32 PM
i love ATLiens - never gets old... here's 3 classics

jazzy belle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRY-YXYSizM&search=outkast

ATLiens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2nSkh2OnCk&search=outkast

elevators
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlcPD0oT53Y&search=outkast

icephinfan
06-13-2006, 05:37 PM
i love ATLiens - never gets old... here's 3 classics

jazzy belle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRY-YXYSizM&search=outkast

ATLiens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2nSkh2OnCk&search=outkast

elevators
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlcPD0oT53Y&search=outkast

Do you have the video for Rosa Parks????

d-day
06-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Do you have the video for Rosa Parks????

you bet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E7s6GxoaLE&search=outkast

and just for you ice - here's one with outkast and rage against the machine :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-LG6w6_yA4&search=outkast

icephinfan
06-13-2006, 05:52 PM
you bet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E7s6GxoaLE&search=outkast

and just for you ice - here's one with outkast and rage against the machine :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-LG6w6_yA4&search=outkast

That was tight, Bombs over bagdad.. the only thing missing was Zachs voice, he should have had a verse or two. Is that song off of an OUTKAST album???

d-day
06-14-2006, 02:12 AM
the stylistics... nuff said

[/URL]

betcha by golly wow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4CR3Fs6BaI&search=stylistics

you are everything
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcRJ3ILfnA&search=stylistics"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcRJ3ILfnA&search=stylistics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcRJ3ILfnA&search=stylistics)

Quelonio
06-14-2006, 02:23 AM
Has any of you heard Gil Scott-Heron, some of his stuff is more spoken word with jazzy music, but a lot of it is really R & B

dreday
06-14-2006, 02:15 PM

[/URL]

betcha by golly wow

you are everything
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcRJ3ILfnA&search=stylistics"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcRJ3ILfnA&search=stylistics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcRJ3ILfnA&search=stylistics)

No doubt cyrus:up: To add to that heres a 4minute video that talks about their career and all that.This is one group whose songs you listen to and they stay in your head forever.Stylistics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QszQDI3duKE&search=stylistics)

Also for a really good price you can get their all-time classics.Stylistics All-Time Classics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001O83/sr=8-5/qid=1150309461/ref=pd_bbs_5/002-8024351-7412037?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/stylistics7gy-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dreday
06-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Has any of you heard Gil Scott-Heron, some of his stuff is more spoken word with jazzy music, but a lot of it is really R & B

For sure!!Heres a video of him live in NYC.....American Tapas (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000HZTD/sr=8-3/qid=1150309804/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-8024351-7412037?%5Fencoding=UTF8) Also for a very good price you can get a best of from him. The Very Best Of Gil-Scott Heron (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000HZTD/sr=8-3/qid=1150309804/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-8024351-7412037?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/gilscottheron7fg-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

NaboCane
06-14-2006, 02:38 PM

betcha by golly wow

you are everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcRJ3ILfnA&search=stylistics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcRJ3ILfnA&search=stylistics)

:yes:

If I had a dollar for every time I slow-danced to those two songs back in the day, I could buy myself a nice dinner.

dreday
06-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Gotta love Sly & The Family Stone....:cooldude: Heres a greatest hits from them.Sly & the Family Stone - Greatest Hits [Epic] (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000024WQ/sr=8-1/qid=1150310424/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8024351-7412037?%5Fencoding=UTF8).Once again excellent prices!!

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/slystone8si-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Heres some notable performances.

Sly & The Family Stone - Higher (Live - 1984) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnKmhOu0Gio&search=sly%20stone%20)

Love City (Live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crxwZwE9n40&search=sly%20stone%20)

Sly & the family stone rare clip rehearsals during 70's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAStZVooAbM&search=sly%20stone%20)

Everyday People (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6i24AyhZJs&search=sly%20stone%20)

Heres one with one of my favs all-time Parliament.(talk more about them later)

Parliament Live 1976 w/Sly Stone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHvlv69b-B4&search=sly%20stone%20)

Heres an interview with him on the Dick Cavett show.He was obviously high as hell!!:lol: Sly and the Family Stone loaded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_Pf7JhKWo&search=sly%20stone%20)

Sly & The Family Stone live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzE9KWz89B4&search=sly%20stone%20)

Stand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJUilCPbYE&search=sly%20stone%20)

Sly & the Family Stone 1969 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJVOSH2ynM4&search=sly%20stone%20)

http://Jesse Johnson & Sly Stone20stone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ki4GUz5Qwg&search=sly%20stone%20)

d-day
06-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Gotta love Sly & The Family Stone....:cooldude: Heres a greatest hits from them.Sly & the Family Stone - Greatest Hits [Epic] (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000024WQ/sr=8-1/qid=1150310424/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8024351-7412037?%5Fencoding=UTF8).Once again excellent prices!!

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2007/slystone8si.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Heres some notable performances.

Sly & The Family Stone - Higher (Live - 1984) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnKmhOu0Gio&search=sly%20stone%20)

Love City (Live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crxwZwE9n40&search=sly%20stone%20)

Sly & the family stone rare clip rehearsals during 70's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAStZVooAbM&search=sly%20stone%20)

Everyday People (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6i24AyhZJs&search=sly%20stone%20)

Heres one with one of my favs all-time Parliament.(talk more about them later)

Parliament Live 1976 w/Sly Stone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHvlv69b-B4&search=sly%20stone%20)

Heres an interview with him on the Dick Cavett show.He was obviously high as hell!!:lol: Sly and the Family Stone loaded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_Pf7JhKWo&search=sly%20stone%20)

Sly & The Family Stone live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzE9KWz89B4&search=sly%20stone%20)

Stand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJUilCPbYE&search=sly%20stone%20)

Sly & the Family Stone 1969 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJVOSH2ynM4&search=sly%20stone%20)

http://Jesse Johnson & Sly Stone20stone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ki4GUz5Qwg&search=sly%20stone%20)

best band of all times imo - they had everything - greatest bass player ever, horn section, everybody sang, mixed races, nothing but energy and the great sly stone himself - i would bet prince's and andre3000's biggest influence

d-day
06-15-2006, 12:23 AM
sly could write lyrics too...

everybody is a star...

Everybody is a star
I can feel it when you shine on me
I love you for who you are
Not the one you feel you need to be
Ever catch a falling star
Ain't no stopping 'til it's in the ground
Everybody is a star
One big circle going round and round

somebody's watching you

pretty pretty pretty as a picture
witty witty witty as you can be
blind cause your eyes see only glitter
closed to the things that make you free

ever stop to think about a downfall
happens at the end of every line
just when you think you've pulled a fast one
happens to the foolish all the time

games are to played with toys etcetera
love is to be made when you're for real
ups and downs are caused by life in general
some are yours no matter how you feel

live it up today if you want to
live it down tomorrow afternoon
sunday school don't make you cool forever
neither does the silver of your spoon

the nicer the nice the higher the price
this is what you pay for what you need
the higher the price the nicer the nice
jealous people like to see you bleed

somebody's watching you...

family affair

It's a family affair, it's a family affair
One child grows up to be
Somebody that just loves to learn
And another child grows up to be
Somebody you'd just love to burn
Mom loves the both of them
You see it's in the blood
Both kids are good to Mom
'Blood's thicker than mud'
Newlywed a year ago
But you're still checking each other out
Nobody wants to blow
Nobody wants to be left out
You can't leave, 'cause your heart is there
But you can't stay, 'cause you been somewhere else!

You can't cry, 'cause you'll look broke down
But you're cryin' anyway 'cause you're all broke down!

It's a family affair
It's a family affair

d-day
06-15-2006, 12:37 AM
did you see this one dre? sly and the family stone winning in a talent show in 68' with m'lady - this is unreal footage and shows even in the early days why they were so influential

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrt2RAnOyBo&search=sly%20stone%20

dreday
06-15-2006, 10:31 AM
best band of all times imo - they had everything - greatest bass player ever, horn section, everybody sang, mixed races, nothing but energy and the great sly stone himself - i would bet prince's and andre3000's biggest influence
I was gonna say he def influenced Prince and Andre3000 no doubt.He definitely influenced that 'Minnesota' thing with The Time and Morris Day, hey maybe even Jimi Hendrix.

dreday
06-15-2006, 10:34 AM
did you see this one dre? sly and the family stone winning in a talent show in 68' with m'lady - this is unreal footage and shows even in the early days why they were so influential

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrt2RAnOyBo&search=sly%20stone%20

Yea I meant to post that one too,but I ran out of time (had to be somewhere).Undoubtedly one of the most influential bands ever.See that dont have bands like that anymore.Anything remotely close is the Black Eyed Peas and I think theyre horrible.

dreday
06-15-2006, 10:37 AM
sly could write lyrics too...

everybody is a star...

Everybody is a star
I can feel it when you shine on me
I love you for who you are
Not the one you feel you need to be
Ever catch a falling star
Ain't no stopping 'til it's in the ground
Everybody is a star
One big circle going round and round

somebody's watching you

pretty pretty pretty as a picture
witty witty witty as you can be
blind cause your eyes see only glitter
closed to the things that make you free

ever stop to think about a downfall
happens at the end of every line
just when you think you've pulled a fast one
happens to the foolish all the time

games are to played with toys etcetera
love is to be made when you're for real
ups and downs are caused by life in general
some are yours no matter how you feel

live it up today if you want to
live it down tomorrow afternoon
sunday school don't make you cool forever
neither does the silver of your spoon

the nicer the nice the higher the price
this is what you pay for what you need
the higher the price the nicer the nice
jealous people like to see you bleed

somebody's watching you...

family affair

One child grows up to be
Somebody that just loves to learn
And another child grows up to be
Somebody you'd just love to burn
Mom loves the both of them
You see it's in the blood
Both kids are good to Mom
'Blood's thicker than mud'
Newlywed a year ago
But you're still checking each other out
Nobody wants to blow
Nobody wants to be left out
You can't leave, 'cause your heart is there
But you can't stay, 'cause you been somewhere else!

You can't cry, 'cause you'll look broke down
But you're cryin' anyway 'cause you're all broke down!

It's a family affair
It's a family affair

I wonder if he was high writing them.:lol: I loved the way he put together the song "Family Affair".Man incredible talent.

dreday
06-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Speaking of Prince.I know this is one of your favorites.....Scandalous (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n3sl2yteqo&search=prince)

Heres another one of mine...1999 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5RShbfbDU0&search=prince)

d-day
06-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Speaking of Prince.I know this is one of your favorites.....Scandalous (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n3sl2yteqo&search=prince)

yes it is - that and insatiable - i like to back to back them... :wink:

d-day
06-15-2006, 01:41 PM
I was gonna say he def influenced Prince and Andre3000 no doubt.He definitely influenced that 'Minnesota' thing with The Time and Morris Day, hey maybe even Jimi Hendrix.

did you know sly stone was to be on a plane to meet hendrix the day after he died - there were going to colloborate... :boohoo:

dreday
06-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Heres one with your girl Appolonia in it.I Would Die4 You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKUfOv7GQM&search=prince)

d-day
06-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Heres one with your girl Appolonia in it.I Would Die4 You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKUfOv7GQM&search=prince)

appolonia :drool:

dreday
06-15-2006, 01:48 PM
did you know sly stone was to be on a plane to meet hendrix the day after he died - there were going to colloborate... :boohoo:
Man if God had let that happen!:( Man talk about collabos)That wouldve been wild

dreday
06-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Heres a somewhat underrated group thats been around awhile...For a good price their 20th Century masters can be had:

20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Cameo [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000058TCR/sr=8-4/qid=1150411697/ref=pd_bbs_4/002-8024351-7412037?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/cameo4yv-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Heres some of thier best work:

Word Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpTxyNrAkc8&search=cameo)

1986'sBack&Forth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zSgA3SdTs&search=cameo)

Candy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70veQxdjdI&search=cameo)

The impressive Alligator Woman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXnIDhqZPE&search=cameo)

Flirt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKUgopVkM8k&search=cameo)

Pretty Girls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw9HQou7Mvg&search=cameo)

Skin Im In (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeVn2w5ixM&search=cameo)

Just Be Yourself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2joZjs5qcDo&search=cameo)

I Want It Now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkpALzGg9hk&search=cameo)

W'ere Goin Out Tonight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVfUyapo9xs&search=cameo)

You Can Make Me Work (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvypY8EpPWI&search=cameo) This one is awesome!!

Talkin Out Of The Side Of Your Neck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SKHXWpnbzg&search=cameo)

I Just Want To Be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYwH_WUs6nE&search=cameo)

Shes Strange (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-G_OEQvhBI&search=cameo) This ones funky!!

Shake Your Pants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BPSbogLEFU&search=cameo)

The never released video....Dont Be Lonely (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9qKeTgoHU0&search=cameo)

You like funk, these guys will give it to ya.

NaboCane
06-15-2006, 07:39 PM
appolonia :drool:

3-sum w/appolonia and vanity:hump::hump::hump:

NaboCane
06-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Man if God had let that happen!:( Man talk about collabos)That wouldve been wild

Say it again, brother. :(

NaboCane
06-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Heres a somewhat underrated group thats been around awhile...For a good price their 20th Century masters can be had:

20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Cameo [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000058TCR/sr=8-4/qid=1150411697/ref=pd_bbs_4/002-8024351-7412037?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/5633/cameo4yv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Heres some of thier best work:

Word Up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpTxyNrAkc8&search=cameo)

1986'sBack&Forth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zSgA3SdTs&search=cameo)

Candy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70veQxdjdI&search=cameo)

The impressive Alligator Woman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXnIDhqZPE&search=cameo)

Flirt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKUgopVkM8k&search=cameo)

Pretty Girls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw9HQou7Mvg&search=cameo)

Skin Im In (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeVn2w5ixM&search=cameo)

Just Be Yourself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2joZjs5qcDo&search=cameo)

I Want It Now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkpALzGg9hk&search=cameo)

W'ere Goin Out Tonight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVfUyapo9xs&search=cameo)

You Can Make Me Work (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvypY8EpPWI&search=cameo) This one is awesome!!

Talkin Out Of The Side Of Your Neck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SKHXWpnbzg&search=cameo)

I Just Want To Be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYwH_WUs6nE&search=cameo)

Shes Strange (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-G_OEQvhBI&search=cameo) This ones funky!!

Shake Your Pants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BPSbogLEFU&search=cameo)

The never released video....Dont Be Lonely (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9qKeTgoHU0&search=cameo)

You like funk, these guys will give it to ya.

WORD UP!!! :lol: These guys did funk the place up alright.

Do you know who played their music, Dre? Was it studio guys?

dreday
06-15-2006, 09:35 PM
WORD UP!!! :lol: These guys did funk the place up alright.

Do you know who played their music, Dre? Was it studio guys?
The lead vocalist was Larry Blackmon. He was an ex-Juilliard student and New York City club-goer that formed a band with a membership of 13 called the New York City Players. Blackmon, Tomi Jenkins, and Nathan Leftenant formed the group's nucleus. The Casablanca label signed the group to their Chocolate City offshoot, and shortly after that, the group changed its name to Cameo. Their excellent debut album, 1977's Cardiac Arrest, was highlighted by four singles. Three of those were on the Billboard R&B chart: "Rigor Mortis", "Funk Funk",and "Post Mortem". They were inspired by groups like Parliament, Funkadelic, and the Ohio Players, Cardiac Arrest made Cameo's case for belonging in the same division.They played all their own music.

d-day
06-15-2006, 09:38 PM
The lead vocalist was Larry Blackmon. He was an ex-Juilliard student and New York City club-goer that formed a band with a membership of 13 called the New York City Players. Blackmon, Tomi Jenkins, and Nathan Leftenant formed the group's nucleus. The Casablanca label signed the group to their Chocolate City offshoot, and shortly after that, the group changed its name to Cameo. Their excellent debut album, 1977's Cardiac Arrest, was highlighted by four singles. Three of those were on the Billboard R&B chart: "Rigor Mortis", "Funk Funk",and "Post Mortem". They were inspired by groups like Parliament, Funkadelic, and the Ohio Players, Cardiac Arrest made Cameo's case for belonging in the same division.They played all their own music.

and the best haircut in the business... :lol:

dreday
06-15-2006, 09:39 PM
and the best haircut in the business... :lol:
Gotta love the "Box"...I think he was the first to ever wear one.He definitely inspired me.:lol:

dreday
06-17-2006, 03:02 PM
This is a lil old but:
(Sigh).I guess he's gonna try for a comeback.Whatcha think?

Wed Apr 19, 8:00 AM ET

Michael Jackson has returned to the studio and plans to release a new album next year for a record label owned by the son of Bahrain's king.

2 Seas Records, which is owned by Sheik Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, said Tuesday it had signed an exclusive recording agreement with Jackson, and the new album was tentatively scheduled for release in late 2007.

Jackson, 47, moved to the Gulf state soon after being acquitted of child molestation charges in California last year. The 33-island archipelago is about the size of Rhode Island.

"I am incredibly excited about my new venture and I am enjoying being back in the studio making music," Jackson said in a statement released in London on behalf of the Bahrain-based record label.

New Album (http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/en...545880000.html)

d-day
06-18-2006, 05:47 PM
check this out dre - stevie wonder doing superstition on sesame street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSC29xl6hno&search=sesame%20street%20-

d-day
06-18-2006, 06:04 PM
dre - check this out - stevie wonder doing close to you by the carpenters on the talk box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5v-S_jGD4&search=stevie%20wonder

dreday
06-18-2006, 06:04 PM
check this out dre - stevie wonder doing superstition on sesame street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSC29xl6hno&search=sesame%20street%20-
Now see..thats what Im tawlkin bout'.:lol: Me and that kid on the balcony should have been in the band.I shouldve been one of the kiddies too.Man he was enjoying himself:lol:

d-day
06-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Now see..thats what Im tawlkin bout'.:lol: Me and that kid on the balcony should have been in the band.I shouldve been one of the kiddies too.Man he was enjoying himself:lol:

that lil kid was rocking the **** out... :lol:

d-day
06-18-2006, 06:08 PM
clip of the month: stevie wonder with chaka kahn doing tell me something good... :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2_s8ya6mFE&search=stevie%20wonder

d-day
06-18-2006, 06:10 PM
i can't find boogie on reggae woman :hmph:

dreday
06-18-2006, 06:10 PM
dre - check this out - stevie wonder doing close to you by the carpenters on the talk box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5v-S_jGD4&search=stevie%20wonder

Few people as talented as Stevie.BTW Karen Carpenter was one of fav female singers-alltiime.One of the most beautiful voices ever.

d-day
06-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Few people as talented as Stevie.BTW Karen Carpenter was one of fav female singers-alltiime.One of the most beautiful voices ever.

amen :hi5:

and my all-time - so haunting, so melancholy - takes me to all the places i wanna go...

dreday
06-18-2006, 06:13 PM
i can't find boogie on reggae woman :hmph:
I know one of his all-time best.I love that song.

NaboCane
06-18-2006, 07:38 PM
This is a lil old but:
(Sigh).I guess he's gonna try for a comeback.Whatcha think?

Wed Apr 19, 8:00 AM ET

Michael Jackson has returned to the studio and plans to release a new album next year for a record label owned by the son of Bahrain's king.

2 Seas Records, which is owned by Sheik Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, said Tuesday it had signed an exclusive recording agreement with Jackson, and the new album was tentatively scheduled for release in late 2007.

Jackson, 47, moved to the Gulf state soon after being acquitted of child molestation charges in California last year. The 33-island archipelago is about the size of Rhode Island.

"I am incredibly excited about my new venture and I am enjoying being back in the studio making music," Jackson said in a statement released in London on behalf of the Bahrain-based record label.

New Album (http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/en...545880000.html)

It'll doubtless be a great album, but likely will fizzle after the morbid-factor wears off. A lot of people won't go near it because of his predilections. And probably rightfully so.

NaboCane
06-18-2006, 07:38 PM
I know one of his all-time best.I love that song.

Favorite Stevie: Lately

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm feeling sentimental...

Does anyone remember that peculiar, distinctive smell of the inside of an old recoed player? It was kind of electric, like ozone just before lightning, combined with the smell of the felt that covered turntables before they started using rubber.

I really, really miss that smell. What we have today is great, and I wouldn't want it any other way. But CD players don't have a distinctive smell, and iPods, great as they are (and they are) just don't have any smell at all.

dreday
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
It'll doubtless be a great album, but likely will fizzle after the morbid-factor wears off. A lot of people won't go near it because of his predilections. And probably rightfully so.

I know I sighed, but I really do share your belief on this one.Hes undeniably extremely talented.I wonder if he'll ever be able to recapture any of that "gold" he had with fans.Do you think hes eternally ruined for what hes in the headlines for lately?

dreday
06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Favorite Stevie: Lately
Im going to go away from what most people consider their fav Stevie.I like "Rocket Love".That song does something to me.Of course theres so many to name from him.That one and "Past Time Paradise.

d-day
06-19-2006, 10:56 AM
I know I sighed, but I really do share your belief on this one.Hes undeniably extremely talented.I wonder if he'll ever be able to recapture any of that "gold" he had with fans.Do you think hes eternally ruined for what hes in the headlines for lately?

i don't - you and i both know how talanted this guy is - unfortunately, his latest record might not get the credit or respect it deserves because of the headlines though...

dreday
06-19-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm feeling sentimental...

Does anyone remember that peculiar, distinctive smell of the inside of an old recoed player? It was kind of electric, like ozone just before lightning, combined with the smell of the felt that covered turntables before they started using rubber.

I really, really miss that smell. What we have today is great, and I wouldn't want it any other way. But CD players don't have a distinctive smell, and iPods, great as they are (and they are) just don't have any smell at all.
Yes I do.Also the smell of fresh furniture polish combined with those smells,(mom would always dust before having company over).That smell helped with the moods of the music I remember.:lol: (I know Im strange):lol:

dreday
06-19-2006, 11:03 AM
i don't - you and i both know how talanted this guy is - unfortunately, his latest record might not get the credit or respect it deserves because of the headlines though...
Man go figure this is the one thing that would take someone as monumental like himself down.And its actually happening.Just imagine what hed be without all the crap.Unreal.

d-day
06-19-2006, 11:07 AM
have we talked about the ohio players yet?

fire has got to be the heaviest funk song ever recorded...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LPcYJaGxNU&search=ohio%20players

dreday
06-19-2006, 11:14 AM

Gawd d-day...The more and more we reminisce,the more I wish I was at least 21 in this era.I think I should have been "grown" in this era.I know theres alot of young music fans who think todays music is "it" but man they really dont know what theyre missing.They write it off as "irrelevant".Now the Ohio Players played real music,had excellent showmanship and actually wrote about something.Funk to its finest.

d-day
06-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Gawd d-day...The more and more we reminisce,the more I wish I was at least 21 in this era.I think I should have been "grown" in this era.I know theres alot of young music fans who think todays music is "it" but man they really dont know what theyre missing.They write it off as "irrelevant".Now the Ohio Players played real music,had excellent showmanship and actually wrote about something.Funk to its finest.

it's a great video to watch - you get to see what this thread is all about: personality, style, funk, soul, musicianship, showmanship... i would rather listen to the studio version though - the tempo is slower and it brings out the pure heaviness of it better - but then if i was in the ohio players, i'm not sure i could have kept the tempo down either :lol: - that song is pretty exciting

dreday
06-19-2006, 11:21 AM
it's a great video to watch - you get to see what this thread is all about: personality, style, funk, soul, musicianship, showmanship... i would rather listen to the studio version though - the tempo is slower and it brings out the pure heaviness of it better - but then if i was in the ohio players, i'm not sure i could have kept the tempo down either :lol: - that song is pretty exciting
I agree, I like the studio version too, but that live version makes for a cool concert.I wont complain about it either way.

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 12:41 PM

If you think about it, in a world in which we're so inured by bad acts that crimes like shooting someone - simply because you don't like them - is glorified in song, and people who get away with their crimes are admired instead of scorned; sex with a child is still the one crime that will elicit disgust from even the most hardened. So yeah, I expect this won't fade away fast.

dreday
06-19-2006, 04:08 PM
If you think about it, in a world in which we're so inured by bad acts that crimes like shooting someone - simply because you don't like them - is glorified in song, and people who get away with their crimes are admired instead of scorned; sex with a child is still the one crime that will elicit disgust from even the most hardened. So yeah, I expect this won't fade away fast.
Ok...I'll crack the first joke:Maybe if he went back to being black again ( I wish he would) maybe people will take him more seriously about a comeback :lol: .I blame his childhood for this all.Hes never been "normal".Im grateful for all the extra special entertainment, but man he really had to sacrfice a normal life to do it.

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Ok...I'll crack the first joke:Maybe if he went back to being black again ( I wish he would) maybe people will take him more seriously about a comeback :lol: .I blame his childhood for this all.Hes never been "normal".Im grateful for all the extra special entertainment, but man he really had to sacrfice a normal life to do it.

Absolutely right. It's so sad, today he looks like a bad caricature of a human being rather than a person. I wish he weren't so screwed up, but the way he's bleached his skin I'm not sure he can ever regain normal pigmentation again.
</IMG>

dreday
06-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Absolutely right. It's so sad, today he looks like a bad caricature of a human being rather than a person. I wish he weren't so screwed up, but the way he's bleached his skin I'm not sure he can ever regain normal pigmentation again.
</IMG>
By all means tell me that for all the bleaching it took to get his skin that way,there has to be a way to get some pigmentation back.I hoped he would at least cut his hair, he would probably at least look human.Maybe just maybe he has a surprise for us all.

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 04:39 PM
By all means tell me that for all the bleaching it took to get his skin that way,there has to be a way to get some pigmentation back.I hoped he would at least cut his hair, he would probably at least look human.Maybe just maybe he has a surprise for us all.

I really think, unfortunately for him and the music lost, that he just gets stranger and stranger. It's a good example of how in such an insular world as his, mental illness untreated goes rampant and destroys what could have been a truly great life.

On a different subject Dre, have you heard The Meters? Funk/soul group out of the Big Easy; used to be The Funky Meters about 20 years ago, but changes their name a while back. Check out their samples:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000033YT/sr=1-1/qid=1150750376/ref=sr_1_1/002-0502909-7508832?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=music

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 04:40 PM
I really think, unfortunately for him and the music lost, that he just gets stranger and stranger. It's a good example of how in such an insular world as his, mental illness untreated goes rampant and destroys what could have been a truly great life.

On a different subject Dre, have you heard The Meters? Funk/soul group out of the Big Easy; used to be The Funky Meters about 20 years ago, but changes their name a while back. Check out their samples:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000033YT/sr=1-1/qid=1150750376/ref=sr_1_1/002-0502909-7508832?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=music

Here's a nice long video of a live performance.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DQJImKAmf90&search=the%20meters%20funk

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 04:49 PM
The Meters and the Nevilles on Letterman:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ks8VBta0w6E&search=the%20meters%20funk

dreday
06-19-2006, 05:02 PM

I remember hearing this somewhere before, and I dont remember where.They kindof remind me of the group War.Thanks, now I have a name and a visual to identify them with now.This is some cool stuff.

dreday
06-19-2006, 05:08 PM

Only fitting they did a gig with The Neville Bros.Hmm I know Ive heard of them and their stuff before, but its all pretty vague.Now I can go to amazon and see about purchasing something.Thanks man.

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I remember hearing this somewhere before, and I dont remember where.They kindof remind me of the group War.Thanks, now I have a name and a visual to identify them with now.This is some cool stuff.

That performance on Letterman rocks...so, so funky!

dreday
06-19-2006, 05:17 PM
That performance on Letterman rocks...so, so funky!
Yes.I'll have to find out if they still tour.Looks like they put on a pretty good show.

Roman529
06-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Wasssupppp Dre....the George Clinton of Soul !!!!! :wink:

dreday
06-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Wasssupppp Dre....the George Clinton of Soul !!!!! :wink:
Hey Rome...Actually we havent gotten to the Parliament discussion yet, but wed be glad to have you join when we do.:blues: :up:

d-day
06-19-2006, 05:27 PM

i love the meters: funk - was never a big neville fan though - can't believe i posted that - i love every artist we've talked about on this thread...

Roman529
06-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey Rome...Actually we havent gotten to the Parliament discussion yet, but wed be glad to have you join when we do.:blues: :up:

P-Funk!!!! I remember Parliament...and Bootsy Collins!!! He was crazy...and that song One Nation Under a Groove. :lol:

dreday
06-19-2006, 05:37 PM
P-Funk!!!! I remember Parliament...and Bootsy Collins!!! He was crazy...and that song One Nation Under a Groove. :lol:
Def some of my favs.I still have some of the Parliament records my dad bought in Taiwan.They have the Taiwanese print on them too.

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 05:42 PM
i love the meters: funk - was never a big neville fan though - can't believe i posted that - i love every artist we've talked about on this thread...

The Nevilles aren't really funk at all...nor can they really be thought of as soul, other than for the fact that they're black; I put them in with acts like Michael Bolton or Peter Cetera for the closest genre match. The Nevilles are really only slightly hipper.

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 05:43 PM

Clinton is the quintessence of the style that this thread is mostly about. Very cool cat, except for the drug habit.

dreday
06-19-2006, 05:45 PM

Make no mistake.I still want to talk more about these guys.:up:

dreday
06-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Clinton is the quintessence of the style that this thread is mostly about. Very cool cat, except for the drug habit.
Ever heard of these guys Nabo?The Blackbyrdshttp://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/theblackbyrds5ug-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

They have one notable called Rock Creek Park.Unfortunately I cant find any video on them.:(

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Ever heard of these guys Nabo?The Blackbyrdshttp://img482.imageshack.us/img482/8241/theblackbyrds5ug.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

They have one notable called Rock Creek Park.Unfortunately I cant find any video on them.:(

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000XDA/sr=1-1/qid=1150755403/ref=sr_1_1/002-0502909-7508832?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=music

Checking the samples now...

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Ever heard of these guys Nabo?The Blackbyrdshttp://img482.imageshack.us/img482/8241/theblackbyrds5ug.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Walkin in rhythm! Tone Loc used rock creek park in his debut release Loc'd after dark.

dreday
06-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Walkin in rhythm! Tone Loc used rock creek park in his debut release Loc'd after dark.
Yes!!...I bet most people 30 and younger dont even know that.

dreday
06-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Need funk??Heres one of my fav jams from Rick James.....Bustin Out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTbFa3I8s0&search=rick%20james).And another-Give It To Me Baby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82D_fAb-tgs&search=rick%20james)

Also dont forget one he did with Smokey.Ebony Eyes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ioal6fs3E&search=rick%20james)This is the full lenght video.

d-day
06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Also dont forget one he did with Smokey.Ebony Eyes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ioal6fs3E&search=rick%20james)This is the full lenght video.

quiet storm, baby :yes:

dreday
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
quiet storm, baby :yes:

For fun heres one of his protoge's the Mary Jane Girls. In My House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L05ZS0IlEMQ&search=rick%20james)

dreday
06-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Another protog`e Teena Marie.Man I wish I could have found one with Fire&Desire....In the beginning of this video I almost thought Suisuiddio by Phil Collins....:lol: Lovergirl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz6ir1IGn7Y&search=teena%20marie)

dreday
06-19-2006, 09:24 PM
One more...I like this one too.I Cant Wait (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qt-qbE-YTY&search=nu%20shooz).Nu Shooz did their thang too.

d-day
06-19-2006, 09:27 PM
For fun heres one of his protoge's the Mary Jane Girls. In My House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L05ZS0IlEMQ&search=rick%20james)

i played in a top40 band when my other band was off the road to make some xtra cash - we used to play this song... :lol:

i love it though - very catchy

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Yes!!...I bet most people 30 and younger dont even know that.

I like Tone. He was using rock guitar riffs in his songs before any other rapper that I know of.

Is he still recording? I know his film career came to a screeching halt when he fatefully decided to take a role in Ford Fairlaine...:rolleyes: (a role he was rather good in, actually - the one thing in that flick that didn't suck!

NaboCane
06-19-2006, 09:59 PM
I like Tone. He was using rock guitar riffs in his songs before any other rapper that I know of.

Is he still recording? I know his film career came to a screeching halt when he fatefully decided to take a role in Ford Fairlaine...:rolleyes: (a role he was rather good in, actually - the one thing in that flick that didn't suck!

I just thought of Ice-T, he actually fronted a metal band called Body Count before Loc'd After Dark's 1989 release.

dreday
06-19-2006, 10:08 PM

Yea thats right..Hes was in that Andrew Dice Clay movie...Dice was recently in the news again for something crazy.Something about his career going down the tubes.Anyways I think Ice-T may have been the first solo-rapper to use guitar riffs in his songs.Run-DMC being the first rap group.Then the Beastie Boys.Tone Locs last album was 1991's Cool Hand Loc.To my knowledge isnt recording anything else.

dreday
06-19-2006, 11:38 PM
i played in a top40 band when my other band was off the road to make some xtra cash - we used to play this song... :lol:

i love it though - very catchy
Heres who I remind people of vocally d-day...Hes the lead singer of my boys the New Edition.Love to talk more about these guys.

Ralph Tresvant: Heres Sensitivity Sensitivity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6irNfqaAsrA&search=ralph%20tresvant)

And then heres his brand new single:My Homegirl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nnxCWpwu9o&search=ralph%20tresvant)

What I used to consider myself about 2years ago...Whos The Mack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xav2IN5Ciys&search=ralph%20tresvant)

d-day
06-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Heres who I remind people of vocally d-day...Hes the lead singer of my boys the New Edition.Love to talk more about these guys.

Ralph Tresvant: Heres Sensitivity Sensitivity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6irNfqaAsrA&search=ralph%20tresvant)

And then heres his brand new single:My Homegirl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nnxCWpwu9o&search=ralph%20tresvant)

What I used to consider myself about 2years ago...Whos The Mack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xav2IN5Ciys&search=ralph%20tresvant)

thats awesome dre - let's get this finheaven band going... :hi5:

we have to do enjoy yourself though... :D :wink:

NaboCane
06-20-2006, 12:40 AM

Well, if we play in Montreal, we'll have great pleasure!

d-day
06-20-2006, 12:43 AM
we only need to just show up for that... :lol:

dreday
06-20-2006, 02:31 AM

:bling: Yes!! Ima happy individual:lol: ...We need to start auditoning new talent so we can get on the road!!:D :yes:

dreday
06-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Montreal should be fun:D

d-day
06-20-2006, 02:39 AM
:bling: Yes!! Ima happy individual:lol: ...We need to start auditoning new talent so we can get on the road!!:D :yes:

:lol: and we got a lot of choreography to learn too... :hysterikill:

dreday
06-20-2006, 02:42 AM
:lol: and we got a lot of choreography to learn too... :hysterikill:
:lol: Thats the easy part.Weve got to find vocalists.Should be interesting.:D We need to have our own "American Finheaven"

d-day
06-20-2006, 02:46 AM
one of the smoothest songs ever - mark morrisons return of the mack - could only find the single version though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBuAjEj-oTo&search=return%20of%20the%20mack

dreday
06-20-2006, 02:49 AM
one of the smoothest songs ever - mark morrisons return of the mack - could only find the single version though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBuAjEj-oTo&search=return%20of%20the%20mack
:up: Yes another favorite.I cant recall any of his other songs tho.His style reminds me alot of Chuckii Booker.Remember him?

d-day
06-20-2006, 02:53 AM
:up: Yes another favorite.I cant recall any of his other songs tho.His style reminds me alot of Chuckii Booker.Remember him?

i remember the song turned away - he was barry white's godson or someting like that right?

dreday
06-20-2006, 02:54 AM
i remember the song turned away - he was barry white's godson or someting like that right?
Yes.I'll look and see if I can find something on him.

d-day
06-20-2006, 02:55 AM
here's a great song with damian marley and steel pulse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDEbNenIfnU&search=damian%20marley

dreday
06-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Heres Turned Away-Turned Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_K8GuCVIrE&search=chuckii%20booker)

d-day
06-20-2006, 02:59 AM
Heres Turned Away-Turned Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_K8GuCVIrE&search=chuckii%20booker)

yup thats it :up: been a while...

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:00 AM
here's a great song with damian marley and steel pulse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDEbNenIfnU&search=damian%20marley
Love Steel Pulse..And how many kids did Bob have:lol:I havent heard all of Damiens album you?

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:02 AM
Love Steel Pulse..And how many kids did Bob have:lol:I havent heard all of Damiens album you?

oh yeah - i have all of them - we'll burn again brother :wink:

btw here's 33 seconds of the greatest reggae song ever recorded... barrington levy's murderer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FIVV3CaLio&search=barrington%20levy

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:02 AM
yup thats it :up: been a while...
He and Mark Morrison could sing the same songs and nobody would know the difference.

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:05 AM
buju bantons destiny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWLLEbR-r1Q&search=buju%20banton

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:10 AM
buju bantons destiny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWLLEbR-r1Q&search=buju%20banton
Awesome...heres Mr Loverman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Yo51MgNfY&search=shabba%20ranks)

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:13 AM
my girl friend colleen just got back from this show - i can't believe it's already been posted - the show was this weekend

ben harper - burn one down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLqfNwSSFE&search=ben%20harper

dre i apologize - i should have burned this guys whole discography to you

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:15 AM
ben harper w/ the blind boys on dave letterman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTsze2exOP8&search=ben%20harper

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:18 AM
toots and the maytals w/ ben harper - don't even get me started on toots :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vczzWIJ_e1c&search=ben%20harper

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:19 AM
my girl friend colleen just got back from this show - i can't believe it's already been posted - the show was this weekend

ben harper - burn one down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLqfNwSSFE&search=ben%20harper

dre i apologize - i should have burned this guys whole discography to you
Was this in Florida??Man I might have to make some more vidits and bring Cynthia.Real good wholesome stuff.Heres Patras version of the Grace Jones classic Pull Up To My Bumper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYwBtaXTg0o&search=patra)

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:19 AM
saved the best for last - ben singing marvins sexual healing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXVSLtUdN38&search=ben%20harper

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:22 AM
Was this in Florida??Man I might have to make some more vidits and bring Cynthia.Real good wholesome stuff.Heres Patras version of the Grace Jones classic Pull Up To My Bumper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYwBtaXTg0o&search=patra)

:yes: that's such a hot video - bonaroo was in tenessee - she left thursday and just got back a few hours ago - it's a music/mushroom fest - not my thing... i hate hippies :lol:

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:23 AM
saved the best for last - ben singing marvins sexual healing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXVSLtUdN38&search=ben%20harper
This is the best alternate version Ive heard of this song.Ben Harper is the man!!Was he just in Fla?

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:32 AM
:yes: that's such a hot video - bonaroo was in tenessee - she left thursday and just got back a few hours ago - it's a music/mushroom fest - not my thing... i hate hippies :lol:
I see.Hippies:hump: :bong2:

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:33 AM
This is the best alternate version Ive heard of this song.Ben Harper is the man!!Was he just in Fla?

dre - i have to burn some of this guys albums - i couldn't find anything real good on youtube - he mostly plays a slide guitar that sits on his lap while he's singing and he's simply extraordinary...

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:35 AM
dre - i have to burn some of this guys albums - i couldn't find anything real good on youtube - he mostly plays a slide guitar that sits on his lap while he's singing and he's simply extraordinary...
Looks like i'll have to follow suit.Ive heard of him before.Im glad you brought it to my attention again.

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:35 AM
here's fight for your mind - check out how absolutely kick *** his band is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPeq_-IcM8s&search=ben%20harper

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:41 AM
here's fight for your mind - check out how absolutely kick *** his band is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPeq_-IcM8s&search=ben%20harper
Everything about Ben and his band work well together d-day.I'll have to burn some stuff tomorrow

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:43 AM
Everything about Ben and his band work well together d-day.I'll have to burn some stuff tomorrow

did you hear dean butterworths feet around the 4 minute mark and then juan nelsons bass solo? - out ****ing standing

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:45 AM
:eek: holy ****ing **** dre! you are not going to believe what i just found...

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:45 AM
did you hear dean butterworths feet around the 4 minute mark and then juan nelsons bass solo? - out ****ing standing
Yes!!I noticed that.They work together real well.Really loved that solo.

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:46 AM
:eek: holy ****ing **** dre! you are not going to believe what i just found...
???

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:46 AM
i never even knew this existed...

d-day
06-20-2006, 03:49 AM
you ready...?!

dreday
06-20-2006, 03:50 AM
i never even knew this existed...
:confused2

d-day