PDA

View Full Version : Red state backlash hurts Chicks' tour

BAMAPHIN 22
06-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Country music trio the Dixie Chicks, still taking heat for criticizing U.S. President George W. Bush, are weathering sluggish ticket sales in several cities for their upcoming U.S. tour, industry watchers reported on Thursday.

While early ticket purchases for their first major tour in three years are generally robust in Northeastern cities, initial sales have fallen short of expectations in numerous markets, especially in the Midwest and South, forcing some dates to be scrubbed.

By contrast, the group's latest album, "Taking the Long Way," opened atop the U.S. pop charts last week, selling 526,000 copies during its first seven days and remaining No. 1 in its second week to notch one of the year's strongest debuts.

But with many country music stations denying the Chicks airplay, box office business is off to a slow start in places where the group has sold out in the past, said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of concert industry magazine Pollstar.
According to Pollstar, dates in Memphis, Tennessee, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis, and Fresno, California, have been dropped from the tour schedule for now, while box-office sales also were canceled for Houston.
Billboard magazine reported that ticket counts for shows that went on sale last weekend were averaging 5,000 to 6,000 seats per date in major markets, and less in secondary locales. Arena capacities on the tour generally top 15,000.

"Basically, they're having to rethink the entire tour at this point," Bongiovanni told Reuters. "Clearly their problems seem to be strongest in the red states," he said, referring to those areas carried by Bush in the 2004 presidential election.

A key factor in tepid sales was the continuing backlash against the Dixie Chicks by many country music stations over the anti-Bush remarks of lead singer Natalie Maines in 2003.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/09/dixie.chicks.reut/index.html

Jimmy James
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I actually think it's more that the blue state supporters haven't embraced the music yet. Surely they knew they weren't getting the fans that abandoned them back with that single of theirs.

HysterikiLL
06-09-2006, 10:27 PM
The Dixie Chicks aren't losing sales because they knocked Bush. The Dixie Chicks are losing sales because they're the Dixie Chicks.

Jimmy James
06-09-2006, 10:31 PM
The Dixie Chicks aren't losing sales because they knocked Bush. The Dixie Chicks are losing sales because they're the Dixie Chicks.

I'd suggest it's just the opposite. They were massively popular back when they were at least arguably country. Their current album is much less country. They're trying to move into pop music, and it's going to take a while for that to take if you ask me.

Fin Fan in Cali
06-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like the people are speaking volumes.

NJFINSFAN1
06-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Well, Neil Young and Pearl Jam just killed Bush, and they are selling out????

I believe the Chicks need to try something new!

Baxter
06-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Well, Neil Young and Pearl Jam just killed Bush, and they are selling out????

I believe the Chicks need to try something new!
Yah ditch the Fat chick. Even if the other two cant sing as well I would rather watch them:D.

Roman529
06-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Natalie Manes....open mouth and insert foot (and a big box of Krispy Kremes). :lol:

Fin Fan in Cali
06-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Natalie Manes....open mouth and insert foot (and a big box of Krispy Kremes). :lol::sidelol: I think at the time they came out and said this, it was kinda like they didn't support the troops.