PDA

View Full Version : A worthy persepctive

PhinPhan1227
03-28-2003, 11:26 AM
I post on Margaritaville...a general NFL BBS...and there's a poster there(CBS..Continuing Bengals Sufferer) who, while he roots for the Bengals(it's a childhood thing, not an inteligence thing), is also quite intelligent and insightful. He had a great post today, and I just thought I'd share. I've only edited the parts that are solely germane to 'Ritaville in order to avoid confusion.

"I was reading to my daughter last night, and she was making connections to be able to read words herself (she just turned five). She was putting the sounds together, and her face would light up when she discovered a word had been made by the letters. I could just about hear the click and see the light bulb blinking on!
And for just a moment, I got scared.

I really, really thought about the possibilities of a prolonged Holy War versus a billion or so enemies. I caught a quick glimpse of the nuclear devastation that might result. Then I looked at my kid's face. She just has no idea...

Then my mind jarred to the image of me at my keyboard, hate flowing from my fingers as if from razor cuts....wishing swift, crushing death on people. Hmmm.

It's a fine line, isn't it? Life is precious...

...but I just really don't see Saddam's regime appreciating nor respecting life. I honestly believe that George W. Bush differs in that he represents a free society that values life and the pursuit of happiness for all people.

I mean, we (Americans) have our share of problems. We haven't totally handled our own racism issues, but we are progressing. We understand right from wrong as a culture, and we are no longer guilty of the type of ethnic-cleansing that Saddam has visited upon the Shiites and Kurds.

This is it, folks, right here in a nutshell. The Western Hemisphere, and the U.S.A. in particular, is leading the world in every conceivable category. Perhaps it is so because we celebrate our diversity, and we are an evolution...Old World vs. New World, right? Our scientific and technological discoveries, combined with the responsibility that comes with them, has more to offer the world than millenia-old religions with their prejudices and fanatacism.

This is why we are at war. This is in with the new and out with the old. It's about progress, and we are at least an industrial revolution and an information age ahead of the pack. We have to fight to protect progress...

And, so, back to my first thought. I'm a little bit scared for the future.

But we can't shrink from the fight, either. There's no longer time to keep thinking backwards.

In a while I might have to go back to spitting venom at other posters, or whooping at images of blistered Baghdad.

But I DID think about it first, from a totally human perspective.

CBSâ„¢