PDA

View Full Version : hurricane seasons begins...

cnc66
06-10-2006, 09:48 AM
with the first tropical depression of the year. So far no forecasts have it getting to hurricane strength but it looks like Tuesday could be wet and windy in Florida. Personnally I would kind of like a break, I still haven't recovered from Francis, much less Jeanne and Wilma and a storm free year would go a long way towards helping that effort.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

cnc66
06-10-2006, 10:25 AM
this is a current sea surface map. Notice the warm spot by SW Florida, by where InFins and D-Day live. It is that spot of warmth that spun up Irene, Wilma and fed Katrina when she crossed Dade , Monroe and Collier Counties. Because there is very warm water surrounding Florida, there is always the p0ssibility of a storm spinning up and dramatically strengthening just before landfall when it is too late to change plans.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/2006160gosst-1.png

cnc66
06-10-2006, 11:58 AM
we are being affected right now by the system...all the high clouds today. Hopefully, it will be just a rain event, I need some bad.

TJamesW_phinfan
06-10-2006, 12:10 PM
with the first tropical depression of the year. So far no forecasts have it getting to hurricane strength but it looks like Tuesday could be wet and windy in Florida. Personnally I would kind of like a break, I still haven't recovered from Francis, much less Jeanne and Wilma and a storm free year would go a long way towards helping that effort.

http://maps.wunderground.com/data/images/at200601.gif

I hear you on that. I cringed when this thing popped up on the radar. Even though I have lived in S FL all my life the last couple of years have me a bit shell shocked.

I got to spend five hours last night without power due to faulty repairs by FPL from last years summer fun. Actually I think it was a crew from Kentucky that patched us up about two weeks after Wilma. It does seem they have cleared back a lot of trees near the lines in my area though which is good to see.

We were lucky though with little damage to the house but friend a few streets down was just able to move back into his house a couple of months ago due to damage.

Wilma was odd in that it seemed so much stronger than the stats they released about it after such as category / strength over Martin county etc. There was a time during the second half of the storm that I thought it was going to rip the chimney and part of the wall off of the house. I still don't know how our roof stayed on. Maybe it was just angle of attack compared to the previous storms but something made it seem considerably more intense.

cnc66
06-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I hear you on that. I cringed when this thing popped up on the radar. Even though I have lived in S FL all my life the last couple of years have me a bit shell shocked.

I got to spend five hours last night without power due to faulty repairs by FPL from last years summer fun. Actually I think it was a crew from Kentucky that patched us up about two weeks after Wilma. It does seem they have cleared back a lot of trees near the lines in my area though which is good to see.

We were lucky though with little damage to the house but friend a few streets down was just able to move back into his house a couple of months ago due to damage.

Wilma was odd in that it seemed so much stronger than the stats they released about it after such as category / strength over Martin county etc. There was a time during the second half of the storm that I thought it was going to rip the chimney and part of the wall off of the house. I still don't know how our roof stayed on. Maybe it was just angle of attack compared to the previous storms but something made it seem considerably more intense.

do you live here in Martin County too?

TJamesW_phinfan
06-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Yep Stuart, Since 1980. West Palm Beach before that.

cnc66
06-10-2006, 12:53 PM
well, we are neighbors, I'm in Jensen on the river. I grew in Miami, came to live here in '79. My family had been coming up here "since 1966"...hey, good number, when one of my Uncles moved here. I have had family on Lake Worth since 1873.

byroan
06-10-2006, 02:31 PM
:hmmm: Did you mean to post this in spam?

TJamesW_phinfan
06-10-2006, 03:09 PM
well, we are neighbors, I'm in Jensen on the river. I grew in Miami, came to live here in '79. My family had been coming up here "since 1966"...hey, good number, when one of my Uncles moved here. I have had family on Lake Worth since 1873.

Yeah, howdy neighbor :)

I have been meaning to ask you to post when you are going to start doing your lecture/stories at the House of Refuge. I took some, new to town, friends over there a week back and it was still closed. One of the guys working on the outside said it would reopen sometime in July. I meant to catch the Jupiter one you mentioned but did not make it down.

I am afraid I do not know as much about my family history as I should. My mother is buried in a cemetery in Taylor City and it has seven generations of my family buried in it. My parents are from the N FL area (Steinhatchee, Micanopy). I think my dad would enjoy hearing some of those stories. I always enjoyed hearing him and his brothers talk about the old stories.

The view of the water temp around FL is a bit depressing.

Coral Reefer
06-11-2006, 03:40 AM
:confused:

A thread on Hurricane Season ends up moved to Spam?
Seems a VERY relevant thread for many of us Phin fans to post in.

I'm with you Marty!
The last storm was just 5 months ago!
NO MAS POR FAVOR!

To TJames' Point about Wilma, this storm was clearly guaged incorrectly IMO. I've been through enough storms to know that wasn't a category 1 strom.

cnc66
06-11-2006, 07:46 AM
:confused:

A thread on Hurricane Season ends up moved to Spam?
Seems a VERY relevant thread for many of us Phin fans to post in.

I'm with you Marty!
The last storm was just 5 months ago!
NO MAS POR FAVOR!

To TJames' Point about Wilma, this storm was clearly guaged incorrectly IMO. I've been through enough storms to know that wasn't a category 1 strom.

this wasn't moved to spam Trekbiz, I put it here as I wasn't to sure whether it belonged in the lounge. I figured if the 24/7 thread could live forever in spam this one could too. If the mods feel it would be better elsewhere feel free to move it as you are inclined.

d-day
06-11-2006, 03:29 PM
just found a leak in my ceiling last night - water dripping out of the side of a light fixture mounted on the top of my kitchen - it poured last night - and i've lived here on and off since '83...

Fin Fan in Cali
06-11-2006, 03:37 PM
just found a leak in my ceiling last night - water dripping out of the side of a light fixture mounted on the top of my kitchen - it poured last night - and i've lived here on and off since '83...Hopefully you can get some dry time, and get it patched Jeff. I hope this one is a light one for all the family living in Florida! Take Care!:wink:

cnc66
06-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Jeff's been gettin it for a whole dday just about, and he may get no relief for another full day, they may get ten inches before it's over. Here is the storm total for his neck of the woods, notice Cuba is getting pounded. They call for up to 30 inches of rain there before it's over. The whole south half of the state is getting weather now.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=byx&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Roman529
06-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Wow, it looks like it is heading right for my ex's house in Orlando. I should call her and get her all razzed up. :wink: :lol:

d-day
06-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Jeff's been gettin it for a whole dday just about, and he may get no relief for another full day, they may get ten inches before it's over. Here is the storm total for his neck of the woods, notice Cuba is getting pounded. They call for up to 30 inches of rain there before it's over. The whole south half of the state is getting weather now.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=byx&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=no

:lol: - well like they say marty, when it rains it pours - not really a drop since the end of last year and then last night... it was like the gods saved up all this years rain for one big 4th of july extravaganda - just got my car washed too... how's it up by you so far marty...?

cnc66
06-11-2006, 06:07 PM
:lol: - well like they say marty, when it rains it pours - not really a drop since the end of last year and then last night... it was like the gods saved up all this years rain for one big 4th of july extravaganda - just got my car washed too... how's it up by you so far marty...?

it's ok here, just that dreaded overcast and scudding clouds that lets you know something is out there. There was a major band that came through earlier but it mostly went around me. We need the rain, I cut, applied bug stuff and fertilized the grass today in hopes of some.

I would think that a great deal of south Florida is finding the subpar roofing work today. Sorry that your is leaking.

Roman....why not...tell her you are worried it will strengthen just before landfall, like Opal, Irene and Wilma...and that because it is a wet storm there might be hundreds of tornado's, widespread flooding in fact Lake Okeechobee might even break open at the north end and flood all the center of the state...

d-day
06-11-2006, 06:16 PM
it's ok here, just that dreaded overcast and scudding clouds that lets you know something is out there. There was a major band that came through earlier but it mostly went around me. We need the rain, I cut, applied bug stuff and fertilized the grass today in hopes of some.

I would think that a great deal of south Florida is finding the subpar roofing work today. Sorry that your is leaking.

the one time when it pays to having a landlord :wink: - i've lived in this building in downtown ft myers for quite a few years now - i think about buying my own place every now and then but i can't beat this spot - it's literally 1 street away from all my favorite bars, so i don't have to drink and drive - it's 2 stories and a couple parts of the apartment are open so you can look straight up and see the 37 and a half foot ceilings - the best part is it's completely surrounded by all the other big buildings located downtown, so it is literally sheilded from all the high winds and gusts from hurricanes - last year i literally sat on my patio and watched the hurricane spin right down my street with absolutely no damage to my place...

Roman529
06-11-2006, 06:19 PM

Roman....why not...tell her you are worried it will strengthen just before landfall, like Opal, Irene and Wilma...and that because it is a wet storm there might be hundreds of tornado's, widespread flooding in fact Lake Okeechobee might even break open at the north end and flood all the center of the state...

I never had been in a Hurricane until I moved there in 1998. I love rain so I thought it was funny until the wind started to pick up, then I got scared. :D
But I heard there are a lot of fires in Florida...when I was there in 1998 it seemed like the whole state was on fire. Hopefully the rain will knock some of your major fires out. :shakeno:

Noodle Arm
06-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Is it me or do weathermen get almost orgasmic during this time of the year? :rolleyes2

d-day
06-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Is it me or do weathermen get almost orgasmic during this time of the year? :rolleyes2

:lol: too bad they all didn't look like this...

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/header4ic-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/617012de-1.jpg

cnc66
06-11-2006, 06:29 PM
the one time when it pays to having a landlord :wink: - i've lived in this building in downtown ft myers for quite a few years now - i think about buying my own place every now and then but i can't beat this spot - it's literally 1 street away from all my favorite bars, so i don't have to drink and drive - it's 2 stories and a couple parts of the apartment are open so you can look straight up and see the 37 and a half foot ceilings - the best part is it's completely surrounded by all the other big buildings located downtown, so it is literally sheilded from all the high winds and gusts from hurricanes - last year i literally sat on my patio and watched the hurricane spin right down my street with absolutely no damage to my place...

noaa radar has an area of "two inch per hour" rain rates trying to move ashore towards Ft Myers that will just catch you with the eastern side as it passes you..... got buckets? :goof:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N1P&rid=AMX&loop=yes

d-day
06-11-2006, 06:31 PM
noaa radar has an area of "two inch per hour" rain rates trying to move ashore towards Ft Myers that will just catch you with the eastern side as it passes you..... got buckets? :goof:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N1P&rid=AMX&loop=yes

:lol: - i got a big soup pot... and worse, my tank of propane just ran out - i really need to think 2 steps ahead and buy a 2nd tank - anybody know how to cook?!

TJamesW_phinfan
06-11-2006, 08:47 PM

We barely got anything down south of Stuart. Didn't even soak the ground. We need rain bad too. May be getting drenched Tuesday though.

Roman add something about agitated gators to what cnc recomended. :evil:
If she is an unfriendly ex that is. :wink:

cnc66
06-11-2006, 08:48 PM
there's no match, for electric livingggg, there's just no match at allllll.

TJamesW_phinfan
06-11-2006, 08:58 PM
:lol: - i got a big soup pot... and worse, my tank of propane just ran out - i really need to think 2 steps ahead and buy a 2nd tank - anybody know how to cook?!

Got any old wood furniture you don't need and a safe place to build a fire?

You may just have to resort to vienna sausages on saltines. You know survival food. :D

Dubfire
06-12-2006, 05:35 PM
This ****ing storm ruined my trip to the Keys this past weekend.

Only got to take out the boat once and that was for a few hours Friday. After that, NADA!! All that planning for nothing.:tantrum:

Metal Panda
06-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Iknow what you mean Marty. But with the high water temps and the Bermuda high,it dont look good for this season.

I dunno, the forecasters in terms of quantity pretty much did a good job of predicting last year, and they've stated while this year will be rough, it will be nowhere near as rough as last year