PDA

View Full Version : What's cool in Charlotte

WeVie
06-15-2006, 09:40 PM
So I am here in Charlotte, NC for a few days and wondering if anyone knew anything cool that I may want to see or do before I go home. Too bad I can't stay for the WWE ppv. That would be alot of fun.

d-day
06-15-2006, 09:42 PM
So I am here in Charlotte, NC for a few days and wondering if anyone knew anything cool that I may want to see or do before I go home. Too bad I can't stay for the WWE ppv. That would be alot of fun.

i used to live there for 2 years but it's all a blur... sorry wevie :lol:

lazareth
06-15-2006, 09:46 PM
there's usually always a concert <shrug>

d-day
06-15-2006, 09:49 PM

here's a link of all the concerts happening in charlotte this weekend wevie :wink:

http://pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?Content=C-NC_Charlotte&Date_From=Today&Date_To=06-14-2008&By=All&PSKey=Y&StartSearch.x=12&StartSearch.y=14

lazareth
06-15-2006, 09:51 PM
here's a link of all the concerts happening in charlotte this weekend wevie :wink:

http://pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?Content=C-NC_Charlotte&Date_From=Today&Date_To=06-14-2008&By=All&PSKey=Y&StartSearch.x=12&StartSearch.y=14
:eek: holy shiznit!

i had no idea DRI was still playing :lol:

d-day
06-15-2006, 09:53 PM
:eek: holy shiznit!

i had no idea DRI was still playing :lol:

dave matthews on tuesday... always hot girls at dave matthews shows :yes:

dQbell
06-15-2006, 10:03 PM
There's a place called Southend Brewery that's got a variety of beers, if you're into that. Depends on what you want to do. Not much is going on right now. There's always the Speedway and its surrounding area (again if you're into that).

byroan
06-15-2006, 10:08 PM
There's not crap to do in Charlotte. :lol:

The Rev
06-15-2006, 10:18 PM

and you are currently residing in.... :hmmm: :tongue:

lazareth
06-15-2006, 10:22 PM
you would think there would be :confused2

byroan
06-15-2006, 10:23 PM
and you are currently residing in.... :hmmm: :tongue:

A small hick town outside of Winston Salem. :wink:

I lived in Charlotte for 7 years though.

byroan
06-15-2006, 10:24 PM
you would think there would be :confused2

Yeah I know. There's "shopping" if you're into that kind of thing. :lol:

IMO though the clubs and stuff are pretty lame compared to other cities around here.

The Rev
06-15-2006, 10:27 PM
A small hick town outside of Winston Salem. :wink:

I lived in Charlotte for 7 years though.

Everytime I hear Charlotte or Winston Salem, I think of Ric Flair.
Sad but true.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Celtkin
06-15-2006, 10:37 PM

Bowling is always a good choice :up:

Celtkin
06-15-2006, 10:38 PM
i used to live there for 2 years but it's all a blur... sorry wevie :lol:

Blurs are not always a bad thing...else, there are lots of women who never get laid :wink:

Celtkin
06-15-2006, 10:39 PM

Or bowling is good...:lol:

Celtkin
06-15-2006, 10:41 PM

Link to all the bowling alleys in Charlotte.... (http://www.google.com/search?q=charlotte+bowling+alleys&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official)

lazareth
06-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Link to all the bowling alleys in Charlotte.... (http://www.google.com/search?q=charlotte+bowling+alleys&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official)
my link is better (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=charlotte+bowling+alleys&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&om=1) :evil:

dominizzo
06-16-2006, 12:44 AM
you like Golf !!!

Jimmy James
06-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Trust me -- there is a ton more to do in Charlotte than there is in Tazewell, Virginia (I lived in the latter town for years and even graduated from High School there).

Check out Concord Mills, man. It's far more impressive than the Richlands Mall, the Claypool Hill Mall, the Tazewell Mall, and Mercer Mall combined.

There are also a ton of race shops in the area...

dolfan72734me
06-16-2006, 01:24 AM
dave matthews on tuesday... always hot girls at dave matthews shows :yes:
You got that right. Only problem for me is every time I hear DM, I get the runs. Better than prunes:lol:

CharlestonPhan
06-16-2006, 07:26 AM
i know Dale Earnhardt Incorporated's Headquarters is not far outside of Charlotte, as are alot of the NASCAR race teams Headquarters... lots of Dale Sr. and Jr. cars on display, you can tour the work shop and all... also there is Paramount's Carowinds amusement park in Rock Hill, SC, which is a suburb of Charlotte. if you are really bored maybe you could take a stadium tour of the Panthers facilities. it is one of the newer facilities in the NFL.

dQbell
06-16-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm in Concord, right outside of Charlotte. I've been here for 10 years. You have to accept the fact that this is racing country. After Dale Sr. passed, they renamed the roads and everything. Racing isn't my kinda thing, so I could care less.

In my humble opinion, Charlotte is a "wanna be" city. I'd say the biggest highlight of the area is its shopping. You have the Concord Mills Mall, as another poster noted, and the South Park area (a very high society area). Honestly though, and this isn't a cut on where I live, Charlotte just comes across inferior to other places of interest.

Bottom line, if you're into racing it's a fun place. There is a Dirt Track across from the Speedway, but I checked for you and there's nothing going on there.

Check out Southend Brewery. That's a neat place.

Celtkin
06-16-2006, 08:46 AM
my link is better (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=charlotte+bowling+alleys&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&om=1) :evil:

No kidding :up:

dQbell
06-16-2006, 09:01 AM
No kidding :up:

You guys ever been duckpin bowling? Serious.

WeVie
06-16-2006, 06:59 PM
I have been to the Concord Mills Mall a bunch. I went back today. If you guys knew where I live like JimmyJames does then you would know how trilling it is to come here. I have a friend in Stateville and when I was single I used to come stay with him all the time and we would hit the clubs and hunt for honeys. There are soooooooooo many more hotties here than at home. At home everyone knows everyone and it sucks. I have came down here twice for Ozzfest and twice for WWE. I also seen AC/DC here. I don't know if it is still here but we used to go to Club 2000 which had a male and female strip club as well as a dance club. Now that was fun.

I am married now with a five month old baby so now everything is different. Now it's more about shopping and finding new yummy places to eat. I like museums and things like that also.

I have also been to Pittsburg, Cleveland, Atlanta, and Knoxville and I have to say that Charlotte is by far my favorite. I HATED Atlanta really bad. Cleveland was pretty good also. I think I would have like Cleveland alot better if the Dolphins had won the game last year cause that is when I went there.

Jimmy James
06-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Back when I lived in Tazewell, Pittsburgh was my favorite. We'd stay right by the USX building, go by the PPG building, ride those freaky incline things, go see the Pirates...it was awesome.

Atlanta is a tough city to visit if you ask me. It's so confusing down there because every street is named Peachtree. I visited once before I lived in Macon, and it sucked. It was much cooler going up there from Macon, though. I finally sort of had some things figured out by the time I moved away.

WeVie
06-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Back when I lived in Tazewell, Pittsburgh was my favorite. We'd stay right by the USX building, go by the PPG building, ride those freaky incline things, go see the Pirates...it was awesome.

Atlanta is a tough city to visit if you ask me. It's so confusing down there because every street is named Peachtree. I visited once before I lived in Macon, and it sucked. It was much cooler going up there from Macon, though. I finally sort of had some things figured out by the time I moved away.

Yes it is very confusing and there are so many bums and all that. You can't walk two blocks without someone asking you for money. What is so bad about that is most of the time they are wearing $100 jeans and shoes and a $60 shirt and a gold chain. I'm just like, go get a frigging job.

I learned real fast the best way to travel in the city is by cab. Five bucks or less and they take you where ever you want to go and never get lost. I have spend god only knows how long driving around looking for something in the city. Alot of times it's even cheaper. It cost me about six bucks each way to the Phins Browns game and it cost twenty bucks to park so I saved eight bucks.

Where did you live in Tazewell anyway? You may have told me before but I don't remember if you did. Did you go to Tazewell or one of the other schools?

Jt0323
06-16-2006, 11:23 PM
i was just goona post and say you should go to the PPV...

WeVie
06-16-2006, 11:46 PM
i was just goona post and say you should go to the PPV...

I wish. I have went two times. Back in '99 I went to Raw and got to see Stone Cold beat the Undertaker for the title. It was the night after the King of the Ring ppv when Stone Cold lost the company back to Vince and Shane in a laddre match. The show lasted close to an hour after it went off the air. It was great!

I have my baby with me. If I did'nt I would go for sure.

Jimmy James
06-17-2006, 12:51 AM
I remember the one time I saw wrestling live. Of course, that was back when you could see the Macho Man, Bam Bam Bigelow, and even, yes, The Ultimate Warrior.

:lol:

They do put on a very energetic show. Somebody (I forget who now) was really hated back then and tons of folks were spitting on him as he walked out.

PassRush
06-17-2006, 01:45 AM
You are only an hour and a half from the smokey mountains. Not much else

Jimmy James
06-17-2006, 01:57 AM
You are only an hour and a half from the smokey mountains. Not much else

I imagine that area is old hat to him if I know my Tazewellites like I think I do.

WeVie
06-17-2006, 08:28 AM
I imagine that area is old hat to him if I know my Tazewellites like I think I do.

Yeah. Alot of people are like, go to Gatlinburg. It is great. I don't see it. Dollywood sucks really bad unless you are into country or bluegrass music. You have the mountains but I have a bunch of them at home. They have some shopping but it's not that great. Really the only thing I did that was cool there is bunge jump twice which is really cool.

I am going to come back to Charlotte after the baby gets a little older so she can stay with my parents to go to Carowinds. I have been down here 100 times but never been.

cnc66
06-17-2006, 08:31 AM

I was there for the August Jam in '74...there is however, a drug induced fuzzyness about the event....

byroan
06-17-2006, 09:57 AM
I am going to come back to Charlotte after the baby gets a little older so she can stay with my parents to go to Carowinds. I have been down here 100 times but never been.

Carowinds is completely made for little kids now. Whenever you go, make sure it's during the week. You won't have any fun on the weekends standing in line for a ride for 2+ hrs.

Don't lose anything either because you'll never get it back. I use to work there, I know. :lol:

Jimmy James
06-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Carowinds is completely made for little kids now. Whenever you go, make sure it's during the week. You won't have any fun on the weekends standing in line for a ride for 2+ hrs.

Don't lose anything either because you'll never get it back. I use to work there, I know. :lol:

If it's anything like King's Dominion (and it should be given the shared ownership), also know that you're being watched from the moment you enter the property *including* in the parking lot. When I interned with the local prosecutor, the cases that were the most interesting were the ones that involved things that happened at King's Dominion involving employee theft, fights in the parking lot, etc.

I have no idea how they do it, but I know they do it very effectively from what I saw in court.

WeVie
06-17-2006, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure I go during the week. I would have gone on the weekend had you not told me that. How bad is the wait during the week?

byroan
06-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will make sure I go during the week. I would have gone on the weekend had you not told me that. How bad is the wait during the week?

On some days in the middle of the week, there could be maybe 3,000 people in the entire park. Usually 20-30 people in line if that. Especially since most people are in the water park. On the weekends, there's about 24,000+ people, 4th of July weekend it's about 40,000. I worked until 3am on the night of 4th of July, had to be back at work in 5 hrs. :lol:

byroan
06-17-2006, 10:24 PM
If it's anything like King's Dominion (and it should be given the shared ownership), also know that you're being watched from the moment you enter the property *including* in the parking lot. When I interned with the local prosecutor, the cases that were the most interesting were the ones that involved things that happened at King's Dominion involving employee theft, fights in the parking lot, etc.

I have no idea how they do it, but I know they do it very effectively from what I saw in court.
Yep, there's cameras everywhere. Most people don't see them but there's rarely a second that you're not watched. They have undercover security guards on top of the uniformed ones as well. That's one thing I miss about working there, I knew everything that was going on. I was a team leader so I had a walkie talkie to listen in on all the action. The thing I heard the most was someone passing out because of the heat.

IMO, Kings Dominion is a much better park than Carowinds. With my employee pass I could go to any of the "sister" parks for free and bring a free guest. You look at an amusement park much differently once you've worked at one. I notice all the details.

Jimmy James
06-17-2006, 11:20 PM
I loved Carowinds back when I lived in the Bluefield/Tazewell area. We went tons and tons. I think the parents even went for the season pass for a couple years. King's Dominion seems tame by comparison to me, but that's probably just a combination of exaggerated childhood memories and the fact that I discovered the (IMHO far superior) Busch Gardens between then and now.

I had this nasty heatstroke brought on by not just the heat but also a 4+ month long (before it was over) case of strep throat the first time I visited Six Flags in Atlanta. I took a ride on a golf cart after I projectile vomited this cherry drink I was drinking all over one of the eateries.

WeVie
06-18-2006, 12:33 PM
On some days in the middle of the week, there could be maybe 3,000 people in the entire park. Usually 20-30 people in line if that. Especially since most people are in the water park. On the weekends, there's about 24,000+ people, 4th of July weekend it's about 40,000. I worked until 3am on the night of 4th of July, had to be back at work in 5 hrs. :lol:

What if I go on a Friday? Would it be really busy then. I ask because there is a concert on Thursday, August 31st that I would like to go to and then I could go to Carowinds the next day. What you you think about that?

byroan
06-18-2006, 04:22 PM
You might be able to get by with going on a Friday since most people still work on Fridays.