PDA

View Full Version : scanning question

tucker
06-16-2006, 02:46 PM
so i'm at work and i have been given the job of trying to figure out how to scan images, documents, etc on to the computer... some of the papers(documents) being scanned onto the computer will need to be updated, filled out, completed with what ever information...

ok so the question is how do i open a scanned image(document) in microsoft word so that i can fill it out when the time may come...since the scanner saves it as either bmp, tif, or jpeg Word wont open the file...then there are other things like .psf, .pcx, .tga, .eps...should i use another program to open the files? and if so, what should i use that will allow me to type on scanned documents?

all i am wanting to do is write on a scanned document that is saved on the hard drive for when the time comes

any suggestion?

NaboCane
06-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Only way I know is to scan as an adobe .pdf file...but you need adobe Writer, (as opposed to reader which is free) and it's an expensive app.

cnc66
06-16-2006, 02:51 PM
so i'm at work and i have been given the job of trying to figure out how to scan images, documents, etc on to the computer... some of the papers(documents) being scanned onto the computer will need to be updated, filled out, completed with what ever information...

ok so the question is how do i open a scanned image(document) in microsoft word so that i can fill it out when the time may come...since the scanner saves it as either bmp, tif, or jpeg Word wont open the file...then there are other things like .psf, .pcx, .tga, .eps...should i use another program to open the files? and if so, what should i use that will allow me to type on scanned documents?

all i am wanting to do is write on a scanned document that is saved on the hard drive for when the time comes

any suggestion?

I have an option for document or image. When I chose document, I am then offered "OCR" when I chose that, it opens with word.

tucker
06-16-2006, 03:06 PM
what kind of scanner do you use cnc66? we use just a canon 8400F..or better yet, what program do you use? photostudio, omnipage, presto! ?

cnc66
06-16-2006, 03:16 PM
it's a HP. Can you go into properties and maneuver what opens the files or what the scan is sent to? Can you send the scan to word?

ChrisKo
06-16-2006, 03:24 PM
You will need to scan the documents in an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application. I would recommend OmniPage (http://www.digitalriver.com/v2.0-img/operations/scansoft/site/html/omnipage/omnipage_pro15_standard.html) to get the best possible results. Some of the built in OCR software that comes with the scanner is decent, but they have too many mis-recognized characters. The less correction I need to do, the better.

cnc66
06-16-2006, 03:39 PM
You will need to scan the documents in an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application. I would recommend OmniPage (http://www.digitalriver.com/v2.0-img/operations/scansoft/site/html/omnipage/omnipage_pro15_standard.html) to get the best possible results. Some of the built in OCR software that comes with the scanner is decent, but they have too many mis-recognized characters. The less correction I need to do, the better.

what application do you use this program in Chris ?

tucker
06-16-2006, 03:41 PM
got it thanks alot...we have a omnipage 2.0 that we will use for now..