PDA

View Full Version : July PSC Sign Up

Mindwarp
06-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Yup its that time to start getting people to signup. I am runing it this time since the people who ussaly do should be in it :) So sign up. opening sign up now since its half way through the month, Nothing will be posted until the other rounds are done.

1.Jt0323
2.Buddwalk
3.darkmistress
4.dolphinfan2k5
5.YM305
6.Dolphins 23
7.burger13
8.ricky williams
9.TheAnswer385
10.VINsanity10
11.Nappy Roots
12.HULKFish
13.Samphin
14.firefox
15.millertime
16.A Wing Pilot

Jt0323
06-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Im in! :woot: I think July could be my lucky month!

YM305
06-19-2006, 02:14 PM
i can't join cause my trial version ends this month, good luck to everybody else.:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Mindwarp
06-19-2006, 02:16 PM
i can't join cause my trial version ends this month, good luck to everybody else.:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

someone hook this man up.

Jt0323
06-19-2006, 03:07 PM
:wink:

Buddwalk
06-19-2006, 03:22 PM
sign me up :wink: :wink: :wink:

JTBRLZ
06-19-2006, 04:03 PM
I'll sign up.

darkmistress
06-19-2006, 05:55 PM
:wave: :wave: me me... can't miss this months... sign me up pwease

YM305
06-19-2006, 05:58 PM
im in:yes:

fins5423
06-19-2006, 06:08 PM

I have a trial version can someone hook me up?

Dolphins 23
06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Count me in too

Mindwarp
06-19-2006, 07:20 PM
10 more spots sign up now!

darkmistress
06-19-2006, 07:25 PM
:chuckle:

you forgot to add - :club:

burger13
06-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm in.

dolphinfan2k5
06-19-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm in

Sorry I haven't sent you that psd yet. I need to find a place to upload it or else I need your email.

Jt0323
06-20-2006, 01:27 AM
:wave: :wave: me me... can't miss this months... sign me up pwease
i hope mindwarp puts you on the other side of the bracket!!

TheAnswer385
06-20-2006, 12:15 PM
put me in coach!!

Jt0323
06-20-2006, 12:17 PM
put me in coach!!
im ready to play...

VINsanity10
06-20-2006, 12:18 PM
sign me up man

Nappy Roots
06-20-2006, 12:30 PM
im in

Mindwarp
06-20-2006, 04:00 PM
5 spots left

Jt0323
06-20-2006, 04:04 PM
5 spots left
Ill take another spot:chuckle:

YM305
06-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Ill take another spot:chuckle:
:D

i second that

Mindwarp
06-20-2006, 07:45 PM
ok you go up agianst your self in round 1 and beat your self in a double elimination kind of way

YM305
06-20-2006, 08:12 PM
ok you go up agianst your self in round 1 and beat your self in a double elimination kind of way

:foundout:

:lol:

Samphin
06-21-2006, 12:36 AM
I would love to, but I don't want to get embarrassed. I think I will attempt to do the challenges, but without the pressure of being in the actual competition. :wink:

HULKFish
06-21-2006, 08:05 AM
I'll give it a shot...

Mindwarp
06-21-2006, 09:31 AM
4 spots left...

NY_FinFan_72
06-21-2006, 09:33 AM
I'll go again... but definitely bump me if someone new wants in.

Mindwarp
06-22-2006, 10:46 PM
3 spots left and 1 week to go

ricky williams
06-23-2006, 01:44 AM
please add me

JTBRLZ
06-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Ughh sorry, but I just realized I'm gonna be half the month so if somebody else wants to take my spot that would be the best for the competition.

Mindwarp
06-24-2006, 01:27 PM
doh! the list went the wrong way.. need 3 people now.

darkmistress
06-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Where are all the Gang Greeners?

Samphin
06-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Looks like turnout is low.... Heck, I will give it a try, but none of you better laugh at my attempt...mindwarp this means you... :lol:

Mindwarp
06-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Mindwarp never laughs at anyone who is not d-ay

Jt0323
06-26-2006, 02:03 AM
My new sig till we get more ppl to join!

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/psc-1.jpg

NY_FinFan_72
06-26-2006, 10:06 AM
I hate to do this, but I need my name taken out for the July Competition.

It seems as though every contest there is at least a round or two where the rules/guidelines for that weeks assignment are not followed by one or more contestants, or enforced by whoever is running it... and since the rules/guidelines are almost never re-stated for the voters in the voting thread, voters cannot vote based on who completed the assignment the way it was supposed to have been completed, only on the overall piece.

Others have commented on this as well. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. It makes it not fun.

I don't want to get into specifics about what happened during the June Comp., but it was similar to what I've stated above. Those involved know what happened, which is all that matters.

I guess the bottom line is that this is a silly little free competition on a Miami Dolphins message board... certainly nothing worth getting all pi**ed off over... so when I found myself getting pi**ed off, I decided I was done.

So I guess I'd rather spend my time making sigs and avy's for people who need them than being involved in a contest where the "rules" are so loosely followed. It's frustrating, and as I said, this is not worth getting frustrated over... which is why June will be my last Photoshop Comp.

There. Vented. Done.

If anyone needs a sig, PM me.

Mike

dolphinfan2k5
06-26-2006, 10:44 AM

It seems as though every contest there is at least a round or two where the rules/guidelines for that weeks assignment are not followed by one or more contestants, or enforced by whoever is running it... and since the rules/guidelines are almost never re-stated for the voters in the voting thread, voters cannot vote based on who completed the assignment the way it was supposed to have been completed, only on the overall piece.

Others have commented on this as well. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. It makes it not fun.

I don't want to get into specifics about what happened during the June Comp., but it was similar to what I've stated above. Those involved know what happened, which is all that matters.

I guess the bottom line is that this is a silly little free competition on a Miami Dolphins message board... certainly nothing worth getting all pi**ed off over... so when I found myself getting pi**ed off, I decided I was done.

So I guess I'd rather spend my time making sigs and avy's for people who need them than being involved in a contest where the "rules" are so loosely followed. It's frustrating, and as I said, this is not worth getting frustrated over... which is why June will be my last Photoshop Comp.

There. Vented. Done.

Mike

If many people feel this way we need to lock down on rules more. When I run it, I try to let some things slide because it is just a competition for fun and I don't think anyone should be disqualified. I'll be honest, there are also times when I mess up and some one hasn't followed the rules, but I forget to pm them telling them they need to change it so I just let it slide and hope people don't notice. How would you feel if you submitted yours on a Tuesday with some small thing wrong thinking it was perfect and then the host sent you a pm 2 hours before the posting and said that you needed to redo it. Thats a situation I've put myself in before, and I decided its better just to let it slide then have people get angry. If other people feel that the rules need to be tightened up, please say so cause I want these competitions to be as fun for everyone as they can. Please stay in though 72 cause we need all the people we can. Plus Mindwarp is hosting it and hes never hosted it before so things might be different with him. And I'm sure with this being brought to his attention he will be as careful as possible. :up:

Mindwarp
06-26-2006, 10:46 AM
:boohoo: back up to 3 spots

FireFox
06-26-2006, 10:49 AM
I'll give it a shot, Saw Jt0323 sig. (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/member.php?u=6684)

Mindwarp
06-26-2006, 10:51 AM
woohooo, come on now we need 2 more..

Buddwalk
06-26-2006, 11:00 AM

There. Vented. Done.

Mike

Bro for the sake of competition dont drop out of this bro, last two rounds me and you are 1-1 and yours always a class act when I face you...Mindwarp will make sure people follow the directions this time :wink: :wink: :wink:

Mindwarp
06-26-2006, 11:04 AM
:yes: mindwarp inforces the law

NY_FinFan_72
06-26-2006, 11:09 AM
If many people feel this way we need to lock down on rules more. When I run it, I try to let some things slide because it is just a competition for fun and I don't think anyone should be disqualified. I'll be honest, there are also times when I mess up and some one hasn't followed the rules, but I forget to pm them telling them they need to change it so I just let it slide and hope people don't notice. How would you feel if you submitted yours on a Tuesday with some small thing wrong thinking it was perfect and then the host sent you a pm 2 hours before the posting and said that you needed to redo it. Thats a situation I've put myself in before, and I decided its better just to let it slide then have people get angry. If other people feel that the rules need to be tightened up, please say so cause I want these competitions to be as fun for everyone as they can. Please stay in though 72 cause we need all the people we can. Plus Mindwarp is hosting it and hes never hosted it before so things might be different with him. And I'm sure with this being brought to his attention he will be as careful as possible. :up:

I know I've made this suggestion before, but this is the best way to "fix" it:

The guidelines the contestants are given in the "Details" thread, should be re-posted at the beginning of the "Voting" thread.

This takes the responsibility for having to check each entry to see if it conforms to the assignment away from the person who is running it, and places that responsibility in the hands of the voters.

This way, if someone doesn't do their entry they way the guidlines stated they should, and if the people who are voting can now tell if someone didn't do their entry according to the guidlines (because the guidelines are posted in the voting thread), then people can vote appropriately.

That's it. Pretty simple.

dolphinfan2k5
06-26-2006, 11:24 AM

The guidelines the contestants are given in the "Details" thread, should be re-posted at the beginning of the "Voting" thread.

This takes the responsibility for having to check each entry to see if it conforms to the assignment away from the person who is running it, and places that responsibility in the hands of the voters.

This way, if someone doesn't do their entry they way the guidlines stated they should, and if the people who are voting can now tell if someone didn't do their entry according to the guidlines (because the guidelines are posted in the voting thread), then people can vote appropriately.

I've tried to do that, but I haven't very often. I don't think voters will read those but when I host, I will put the guidelines in the voting thread. I think Mindwarp would do the same. Please stay in bro.

NY_FinFan_72
06-26-2006, 11:35 AM
I've tried to do that, but I haven't very often. I don't think voters will read those but when I host, I will put the guidelines in the voting thread. I think Mindwarp would do the same. Please stay in bro.

It just makes sense to post the guidelines in the voting thread.

Think about it like this:

If you told me it took you 2 hours to walk one mile, I would not be impressed...

but if you told me you had to do it blindfolded and could use only one leg, I would be very impressed...

See the difference?

It's not the final outcome that is important, it is the final outcome based on the limitations you had to overcome that is important. (See: Last year's Dolphins).

Jt0323
06-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I'll give it a shot, Saw Jt0323 sig.
thank you! i did not want to change my sig right now :lol:

Mindwarp
06-26-2006, 01:53 PM
It just makes sense to post the guidelines in the voting thread.

Think about it like this:

If you told me it took you 2 hours to walk one mile, I would not be impressed...

but if you told me you had to do it blindfolded and could use only one leg, I would be very impressed...

See the difference?

It's not the final outcome that is important, it is the final outcome based on the limitations you had to overcome that is important. (See: Last year's Dolphins).

dude re sign up, I guarentee that the rules will be held. I won't post the ones that don't follow the guidlines.

Jt0323
06-26-2006, 02:19 PM
i was goona use this once someone else joins but its too big
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/psc-1.gif

MillerTime
06-26-2006, 02:51 PM
alright, ill join

darkmistress
06-26-2006, 06:07 PM

There. Vented. Done.

Mike
It's funny you say this "being loose on the rules" because I had people getting pissed at me because I had to keep telling them to change their entry as it didn't follow the specs. I don't think a months comp has been run as tighlty as I did this month. I was beginning to feel guilty for having to make people change their entries so much. So you can see why I find it funny that you decide make this comment now :lol:

Buddwalk
06-26-2006, 06:09 PM
It's funny you say this "being loose on the rules" because I had people getting pissed at me because I had to keep telling them to change their entry as it didn't follow the specs. I don't think a months comp has been run as tighlty as I did this month. I was beginning to feel guilty for having to make people change their entries so much. So you can see why I find it funny that you decide make this comment now :lol:
When i ran my comp i made sure people followed the specs...either make them follow it or they get a dq simple dm :wink: :wink: :wink:

Jt0323
06-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Just got cs2...now im more ready then ever

darkmistress
06-26-2006, 08:15 PM
When i ran my comp i made sure people followed the specs...either make them follow it or they get a dq simple dm :wink: :wink: :wink:

isn't that what I said? :confused2

darkmistress
06-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Just got cs2...now im more ready then ever

nice :yes:

Jt0323
06-26-2006, 08:21 PM
isn't that what I said? :confused2
yeah DM did enforce the rules fine imo... when i did not add the pencil tool she informed me and told me i needed to include that in there...also in regards to the last challenge she did create a thread saying you can add the logo as a pic before she posted the pictures... you can get mad at her for that...it would of sucked if she just dq'ed the ppl who did not cause they worked so hard on it...and its not like them getting rid of the logo would of made a difference in the voting...

Mindwarp
06-26-2006, 08:30 PM
1 to go

Jt0323
06-26-2006, 08:34 PM
1 to go
bad news mindwarp im goona have to withdraw.... sorry...

Mindwarp
06-26-2006, 08:37 PM
bad news mindwarp im goona have to withdraw.... sorry...

:tantrum:

Jt0323
06-26-2006, 08:38 PM
:lol: :jk: i just wanted to see your face :lol:

Mindwarp
06-26-2006, 08:41 PM
:ban:

Jt0323
06-26-2006, 08:42 PM
:foundout:
you cant ban me...cause if u do u need to get 2 more people in the photoshop comp! :nana:

Mindwarp
06-26-2006, 08:44 PM
DAM YOU!!

I know ill make you face 2 people and if you lose to either one you lose to both.. MUAHAHAHAH you will have to beat both to adavce.. and then ill put you on the same side of the bracket so eventually you face your self and you beat your self

thus comitting photoshop suicide!

Jt0323
06-26-2006, 08:54 PM
DAM YOU!!

I know ill make you face 2 people and if you lose to either one you lose to both.. MUAHAHAHAH you will have to beat both to adavce.. and then ill put you on the same side of the bracket so eventually you face your self and you beat your self

thus comitting photoshop suicide!
:fire:
:boohoo:

darkmistress
06-26-2006, 09:20 PM
yeah DM did enforce the rules fine imo... when i did not add the pencil tool she informed me and told me i needed to include that in there...also in regards to the last challenge she did create a thread saying you can add the logo as a pic before she posted the pictures... you can get mad at her for that...it would of sucked if she just dq'ed the ppl who did not cause they worked so hard on it...and its not like them getting rid of the logo would of made a difference in the voting...
Getting mad at me at all for this is total BS imo and to be honest it's pissing me off. I gave everyone an equal chance on that and said I wouldn't post until I heard from everyone regarding the issue. It's not my fault that people can't read and abide by the rules I gave them at the beginning. I was being lenient in allowing one of the entries submitted later than the others that was incorrect but by doing that I had to give the others who had also done the wrong thing a chance to use the ones they submitted first. It's absolutely ridiculous that I'm the one being accused of incompetence.

MillerTime
06-26-2006, 09:29 PM
i apologize for not following the rules last round, i forgot that we were not allowed to use logos.

no blame should be put on DM

dolphinfan2k5
06-26-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't think anyone is intending to offend anyone else. We're all friends here :up:

Mindwarp
06-27-2006, 07:33 AM
Getting mad at me at all for this is total BS imo and to be honest it's pissing me off. I gave everyone an equal chance on that and said I wouldn't post until I heard from everyone regarding the issue. It's not my fault that people can't read and abide by the rules I gave them at the beginning. I was being lenient in allowing one of the entries submitted later than the others that was incorrect but by doing that I had to give the others who had also done the wrong thing a chance to use the ones they submitted first. It's absolutely ridiculous that I'm the one being accused of incompetence.

its all your fault Australia lost to Italy

A Wing Pilot
06-27-2006, 09:52 AM
I'll go in Its been a while and you guys won't know what to expect

MillerTime
06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
:cool2::rawk:

Mindwarp
06-27-2006, 10:07 AM
:hump:

I'll post the bracket and task up tonight or tommorow :)

ILPhinFan88
06-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Good Luck everyone, I'll be enjoying my vacation when your stressing to perfect your entry. :D

burger13
06-27-2006, 10:55 AM

I want to say right up front that I think that DM did a fine job running the comp. I PM'd several times to check on the rules and was always given a prompt response. When I didn't meet the rules, I was told to redo it. i don't know how much more you can ask than that.

Now, as for your idea, I think it's a good one........to a point. the guidelines should be in the voting thread, so all voters can see what the guidelines were. BUT, I don't want the voters to vote based off of who they think met the guidelines. There should be some assurance by the person running it that all posted images have successfully met the criteria, OR that there was an exception made.

The reasoning for this is that it won't always be obvious to the naked eye, without explanation where a particular tool/technique was used. the 1pxl pencil tool was a perfect example. i for used it....but i hid it so it didn't make my piece look like crap. Even towards the end of the voting thread, there were questions whether my submission contained use of the pencil....and I couldn't respond becasue it supposed to be anonymous. It wouldn't have been fair for me to lose votes because voters felt they had to enforce the rules themselves.

So, while I would add the guidelines to the voting thread, just to let everyone know what the challenge was, I would also state upfront that all posted images have met the criteria.

Jt0323
06-27-2006, 11:19 AM
:woot:

Jt0323
06-27-2006, 12:29 PM
:hump:

I'll post the bracket and task up tonight or tommorow :)
Post it tonight! give me something to do!!!!!

NY_FinFan_72
06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
I want to say right up front that I think that DM did a fine job running the comp. I PM'd several times to check on the rules and was always given a prompt response. When I didn't meet the rules, I was told to redo it. i don't know how much more you can ask than that.

Were you told to re-do last weeks entry? It didn't meet the guidelines. No, you weren't. My entry was the only one out of the four that followed the guidelines the first time, on time, without having to ask any questions... which is all attributed to my ability to READ.

I was given the option to add a logo and re-submit, but why would I do extra work? Especially when my opponent agreed to submit a non-logo version!?! Well, obvioulsy my opponent did not submit a non-logo version, and how that happened depends on who you ask.

The bottom line was that my entry looked like it was "missing something" compared to the other 3, when in fact it was the only one that was done correctly. Had voters known this, I can assure you I would not have recieved the least amount of votes. In Round One I recieved the most votes total out of all 16 entries (33 votes), and finished tied for 3rd (22 votes) in the 2nd Round... and all of a sudden I get 3 votes!?!? C'mon....

Now, as for your idea, I think it's a good one........to a point. the guidelines should be in the voting thread, so all voters can see what the guidelines were. BUT, I don't want the voters to vote based off of who they think met the guidelines. There should be some assurance by the person running it that all posted images have successfully met the criteria, OR that there was an exception made.

Well, since you didn't follow the guidelines, I can see why you wouldn't want people to judge your work based on how well you followed them.

The reasoning for this is that it won't always be obvious to the naked eye, without explanation where a particular tool/technique was used. the 1pxl pencil tool was a perfect example. i for used it....but i hid it so it didn't make my piece look like crap. Even towards the end of the voting thread, there were questions whether my submission contained use of the pencil....and I couldn't respond becasue it supposed to be anonymous. It wouldn't have been fair for me to lose votes because voters felt they had to enforce the rules themselves.

Ok, so again, you didn't follow the guidelines, however you advanced. In case you need a refresher, here is the quote from the Round 1 Details thread:

Like a famous sports person from anywhere in the world.

No a 1pxl border does not count as the pencil tool. Also it must be something I can see without having to zoom in.

And no exceptions.

My 1px tool was right out in the open, for all to see. See, if you hold down the shift button when using the pencil tool, it draws a perfect straight line when you drag the mouse. Neat, huh?

And as far as being anonymous goes, were are anonymous to the voters, but not to the person running it. I'm still perplexed, and you should be too, that MillerTime's entry was turned in wrong and late, but because it was MillerTime, exceptions were made, deadlines were pushed back, and logos were all of a sudden allowed... strange, eh?

So, while I would add the guidelines to the voting thread, just to let everyone know what the challenge was, I would also state upfront that all posted images have met the criteria.

Well, that is assuming that they all do, which has not been the case in any round so far this month.

I was over this... sent a response PM to DM, which was cordial... and then I came here. Now I'm all pissed off again.

Man, I really got F'd in the A on this one...................

NY_FinFan_72
06-27-2006, 01:42 PM

Don't you see how allowing an entry that was done incorrectly and was turned in late, then turning the entire round upside down with PM's, posts, re-submitting entries, etc., equals incompetence? Or at least lack of judgement?

Would you have been as lenient with someone else? Specifically, if mine was turned in late and wrong, would I have been extended the same courtesy?

I followed the rules and got penalized for it.

Also, my opponent stated to me that you had two entries of his, and if I went with mine as is (no logo), that you would use his non-logo version, which didn't happen.

Someone is telling less than the truth. At this point, it doesn't matter who it is.

MillerTime
06-27-2006, 02:19 PM
And as far as being anonymous goes, were are anonymous to the voters, but not to the person running it. I'm still perplexed, and you should be too, that MillerTime's entry was turned in wrong and late, but because it was MillerTime, exceptions were made, deadlines were pushed back, and logos were all of a sudden allowed... strange, eh?

:hmmm:mine was not turned in late

Mindwarp
06-27-2006, 02:23 PM
drop it..

round 1 will be tonight.. I droped a hint in another thread on round1.

Samphin
06-27-2006, 02:37 PM
drop it..

round 1 will be tonight.. I droped a hint in another thread on round1.

Yes, about your hint. Sounds like fun if I comprehended it right. Around what time tonight shoulld I be looking for ne winfo? I am up against a deadline for work and want to make sure I time this right.

Mindwarp
06-27-2006, 02:51 PM
depends on wifey and the kids and my escape to the PC.

burger13
06-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Wow………you are right, you are getting way too heated over a competition which was meant to be for fun. I wasn’t being confrontational towards you with my post, don’t know why you took it that way. But let me clarify a few things I said for you:

Were you told to re-do last weeks entry? It didn't meet the guidelines. No, you weren't. My entry was the only one out of the four that followed the guidelines the first time, on time, without having to ask any questions... which is all attributed to my ability to READ.

I did redo my entry and send it to DM……I was later told that since others had also used more than 2 images, that I could choose which of the entries to use…..given the choice, I chose my initial entry.

As for my inability to READ…….this is what the rules stated about a 2nd image:

Task:
Put a rookie in to his new uniform and make a pretty sig.

Specs:
• Must use one of the rookie pictures supplied
• Uniform must be as accurate as possibe
• Must use actual player number in the NFL
• May use the supplied image more than once (see sample)
• May not use any other player images
• Second image must be a fancy type background (see sample)
• No animation

Size:
• 500x500
• under 500k

No where in that does it say that you may ONLY USE 2 IMAGES. Later DM did mention only using 2 images, but the offical rules were never updated………….so my entry, and everyone else’s for that matter, did meet the rules.

Ok, so again, you didn't follow the guidelines, however you advanced. In case you need a refresher, here is the quote from the Round 1 Details thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmistress Like a famous sports person from anywhere in the world.

No a 1pxl border does not count as the pencil tool. Also it must be something I can see without having to zoom in.

And no exceptions.

Here was my entry:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/06/tiger32co-1.jpg

I used the 1pxl pencil tool to make a highlight in Tiger’s eye AND to make the bullet in the text below the golf ball. Both can clearly be seen w/o zooming……….but who would have known it w/o an explanation. So, someone thinking like you would have voted against it simply because they didn’t know where the pencil was, even though DM was made aware of it and ok’d it.

See, if you hold down the shift button when using the pencil tool, it draws a perfect straight line when you drag the mouse. Neat, huh?

Thanks…..I had no idea :rolleyes:

Well, that is assuming that they all do, which has not been the case in any round so far this month.

Please see my above post where I added “or an exception has been made”. This isn’t the highest stakes competition out there, so if the admin feels the need to mod the rules, then it shouldn’t really cause that much of a stir.

Mindwarp
06-27-2006, 03:42 PM
thread closed because I asked yall to drop it. If we can't all just take it for what it is "a fun comp" then I will bann the PSC from even being held anymore.