PDA

View Full Version : If you could change 1 or 2 rules

Alex44
07-11-2006, 05:36 AM
What would they be?

Mine would be

No more 5 yard face mask penalty, unless teh refs think its intentional you cant fault a guy for trying to make a tackle

and

Running backs can also wear numbers 1-10. WR's have to stick with 80-89

HysterikiLL
07-11-2006, 07:27 AM
I'd allow teams to challenge any play. I don't like those calls that are 'unchallengable' because the Ref. has blown the whistle or whatever it is.

MikeO
07-11-2006, 07:59 AM
All forms of ENDZONE celebrations are penalized. That way there is no debate, if you do anything. It gets flagged. None of this........"well that wasn't bad"....or....."that was over the top flag that".

If you do an endzone celebration, you get flagged! Very CUT AND DRY!

HysterikiLL
07-11-2006, 08:39 AM
All forms of ENDZONE celebrations are penalized. That way there is no debate, if you do anything. It gets flagged. None of this........"well that wasn't bad"....or....."that was over the top flag that".

Will you ban smiling next?

Alex44
07-11-2006, 08:45 AM

Damn thats harsh

:lol: @ what Hyster said

What about dumping Gatorade/Water on the coach? Does you get disqualified for that :confused:

How about we just let guys do whatever they want in the endzone, and if the D doesnt like it they can stop that guy next time

ch19079
07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I'd allow teams to challenge any play. I don't like those calls that are 'unchallengable' because the Ref. has blown the whistle or whatever it is.
If play can continue after the whistle has blown, what would stop the play?

but if i could change one, i would change the illegal contact rule. i do not believe it should result in an automatic first down. i think it should be a spot foul, and then replay the down.

i would also let pass interfierence be reviewed. any penalty that can result in such a huge gain in yardage should be able to be reviewed. often the ref doesnt see everything and if the WR falls they penalize the defender when he did nothing wrong.

offensive pass interference should result in a loss of down and a 10 yard penalty. i think it currently has a 10 yard penalty and replay the down, but they never call it so i could be wrong...

Alex44
07-11-2006, 08:56 AM
If play can continue after the whistle has blown, what would stop the play?

but if i could change one, i would change the illegal contact rule. i do not believe it should result in an automatic first down. i think it should be a spot foul, and then replay the down.

i would also let pass interfierence be reviewed. any penalty that can result in such a huge gain in yardage should be able to be reviewed. often the ref doesnt see everything and if the WR falls they penalize the defender when he did nothing wrong. they should also call offensive pass interference more often.

I like that one, I dont think penalties should be reviewable though....I mean then whats to stop them from reviewing a holding call or a facemask? Just part of the game IMO

ch19079
07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
I like that one, I dont think penalties should be reviewable though....I mean then whats to stop them from reviewing a holding call or a facemask? Just part of the game IMO i see your point. but holding is only a 10 yard penatly, and at most 15 for a facemask. but a pass interference could result in huge yardage. basically giving the other team a TD because their own WR fell down.

Alex44
07-11-2006, 09:04 AM
i see your point. but holding is only a 10 yard penatly, and at most 15 for a facemask. but a pass interference could result in huge yardage. basically giving the other team a TD because their own WR fell down.

10 yards can still kill your drive though (it isnt 30 or more like a PI sometimes)

but

2 and 10 is a lot different than 2 and 20

Maybe there could be an 'official review' if the ref isnt sure of a call or whatever they can review it, that way you dont have a team throwing a challenge flag on a penalty.

ch19079
07-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Maybe there could be an 'official review' if the ref isnt sure of a call or whatever they can review it, that way you dont have a team throwing a challenge flag on a penalty.
now there is an idea i like.

an official in the booth watching the video. when im watching a game, i they show replays on TV and its obvious to everyone that it was a penalty or the replay shows that no penalty took place.

i think they should have a ref in the booth with a mic to the lead ref. so if there is any question or dout they can get the video ref's input.

Alex44
07-11-2006, 09:11 AM
now there is an idea i like.

an official in the booth watching the video. when im watching a game, i they show replays on TV and its obvious to everyone that it was a penalty or the replay shows that no penalty took place.

i think they should have a ref in the booth with a mic to the lead ref. so if there is any question or dout they can get the video ref's input.

That would be a good idea, hopefully it wouldnt slow down the game though

Maybe something like 'Within the last 2 or 3 minutes of each half there can be an official review on penalties'

Its a good idea but we dont want the games slowing down while they look at every single penalty is all

MikeO
07-11-2006, 10:36 AM
How about we just let guys do whatever they want in the endzone, and if the D doesnt like it they can stop that guy next time

It's not about the D not liking it or not. It's about moving things along. If you let guys do whatever they want the games will go 5+ hours and you will see props brought out on the field and guys doing broadway shows after each score.

Tags has been good on this issue getting rid of all of the BS showboating. Hopefully the next commish picks up where he has left off and just gets rid of it totally.

burger13
07-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I really like the idea of reviewing pass interferrence calls........so many are bad calls that change entire games.

I also would like to see a change in the playoff system. I don't think that a division champion should get an automatic bid. I think that we should seed the teams 1-6 based off of record. There could be small perks for winning your division such as it being the first tie-breaker for a seed (if two teams are 10-6, one won the West, the other was 2nd in the East....the division winner automatically gets the higher seed).

With only 4 teams per division, it won't be long before a 10-6 team gets left out in favor of an 8-8 winner of a crappy division.

Alex44
07-11-2006, 10:49 AM
It's not about the D not liking it or not. It's about moving things along. If you let guys do whatever they want the games will go 5+ hours and you will see props brought out on the field and guys doing broadway shows after each score.

Tags has been good on this issue getting rid of all of the BS showboating. Hopefully the next commish picks up where he has left off and just gets rid of it totally.

I dont recall TO's sharpie thing making the game 5 hours long :confused: or anything Chad has done

Like I said, if it bothers the defense they shuld stop it, if it doesnt bother them and it doesnt take TO long, then no problem with it

burger13
07-11-2006, 10:50 AM

If "moving things along" is the motivation then IMO they have made adequate rules to to fix the problem. NO USING THE BALL AS A PROP.

That is what they need to get the next play going, right?? The ball goes to the ref......he spots it for the extra point and the play clock starts. Where is the hold up possible???

Who cares if the WR is doing backflips accross the back of the endzone, or proposing to a cheerleader. If he's not done by the time the playclock expires, there's a penalty. You think that the coaches would stand for that?? No. Problem soleved. No delay.

Just because we at home are watching the celebration, doesn't mean that the refs weren't already setting for the next play.

MikeO
07-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I dont recall TO's sharpie thing making the game 5 hours long :confused: or anything Chad has done

Like I said, if it bothers the defense they shuld stop it, if it doesnt bother them and it doesnt take TO long, then no problem with it

Not about bothering the defense.:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

It's about the fan base not wanting to watch athletes act like fools. It's about the advertisers and sponsors not wanting these guys acting like jerks.

And when Chad Johnson is running around looking for a Santa bag so he can pass out gifts after a TD, yes it slows down the game. Sure, it might only be a few seconds, but where does it stop???? It's a long slippery slope! And when TO is doing a 50 yard sprint to showboat on the Dallas STAR you almost started a brawl.

Just score a TD, hand the ball to the ref...and move on. Anything more, flag em!

BAMAPHIN 22
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
I would like the Sudden Death rule changed. The current rule is stated as follows:

Sudden death

The sudden death system of determining the winner shall prevail when score is tied at the end of the regulation playing time of all NFL games. The team scoring first during overtime play shall be the winner and the game automatically ends upon any score (by safety, field goal, or touchdown) or when a score is awarded by Referee for a palpably unfair act.

Exception:In preseason and regular season games there shall be a maximum of 15 minutes of sudden death with two time outs instead of three. General provisions that apply for the fourth quarter will prevail. Try not attempted if touchdown scored.

I think that the current format should be like the college game. Starting from the 20 yard line giving both teams a chance to score.

Philter25
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM

Wow. A little extreme are we. Not even a "high five"? No more Lambeau Leap? Does the crowd need to be silent after a TD also? Celebrations add another minute to the game, no big deal at all. Players should be allowed to celebrate scoring, its done in every other major sport.

I would like the Sudden Death rule changed. The current rule is stated as follows:

Sudden death

The sudden death system of determining the winner shall prevail when score is tied at the end of the regulation playing time of all NFL games. The team scoring first during overtime play shall be the winner and the game automatically ends upon any score (by safety, field goal, or touchdown) or when a score is awarded by Referee for a palpably unfair act.

Exception:In preseason and regular season games there shall be a maximum of 15 minutes of sudden death with two time outs instead of three. General provisions that apply for the fourth quarter will prevail. Try not attempted if touchdown scored.

I think that the current format should be like the college game. Starting from the 20 yard line giving both teams a chance to score.

Absolutely. College system rules. Gives both teams a chance.

Philter25
07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
when im watching a game, i they show replays on TV and its obvious to everyone that it was a penalty or the replay shows that no penalty took place.

i think they should have a ref in the booth with a mic to the lead ref. so if there is any question or dout they can get the video ref's input. Absolutely. They should have "Official Review" whenever they feel necessary. A coach shouldnt haveto challenge a play, ONLY the officials should be able to review a play to make sure they got the call correct.

arsenal
07-11-2006, 03:09 PM
i think with reviews they should just have another ref in the booth upstairs and he looks at it and says what the right call should have been, speed up the process instead of the ref having to wakl over there and blah blah blah, just have the dude upstairs make the right call and send it down...

also that is a new rule where you can challenege a play even if it was whistled dead, so if you fumbled but the ref blew it dead, the other team can still challenge it and if its overturned it would just be the possession change at the spot of the dead ball, im almost certain they are putting that in place this year...

MikeO
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM

Sudden death

How about something like soccer??? Where they put say 7 minutes on the clock, and after 7 minutes whoever has the lead wins the game. You can score as many times as possible. Odds are both teams will get the ball once. Do it like that.

It involves some strategy. Both teams should get the ball. And if a team doesn't, then their defense must suck and they deserve to lose anyway.

Just set the clock for a certain amount of time, and play it out.

MikeO
07-11-2006, 03:41 PM
You will NEVER see the college system in the NFL because the field goal kickers on the NFL level are too good.

You could try 3 pass attempts, not gain a yard. Then have a guy come out kick a FG. The NFL has said this is not even an option if they ever do change the OT system.

In college the kickers are a much bigger drop-off in quality so this is not even an issue. NFL kickers are too good.

Alex44
07-11-2006, 03:45 PM
You will NEVER see the college system in the NFL because the field goal kickers on the NFL level are too good.

You could try 3 pass attempts, not gain a yard. Then have a guy come out kick a FG. The NFL has said this is not even an option if they ever do change the OT system.

In college the kickers are a much bigger drop-off in quality so this is not even an issue. NFL kickers are too good.

Simple

Start them from the 40 yard line

Every team doesnt have a guy that can hit 45+ yards with consistancy

Dolfan984
07-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Gimmie college OT, make having a fumble (whether it goes either way) challengable, and make pass interference challengable.

CDNPHIN
07-11-2006, 04:21 PM
1- You should be able to challenge any play.( with your 2 red flags)
2- Lose the fair catch rule.( if you're too scared,step aside)
3- Overtime, should be overtime! ( keep playing until someone scores)
4- Roughing the passer. ( last time I checked he was wearing pads)
I don't mean LATE hits, I mean if he showed up to play football
and not tennis you should be able to hit 'em...
5- Last but not least " THE TUCK RULE"

playmaker1
07-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Is there a rule about cheer leaders having to wear cloths? I'd make it so they didn't have to. Oh, and the other rule is sense the cost of beer is so high. it would be an all you can drink for $5..... yeah that would be great! Just my ideas!

MikeO
07-11-2006, 08:14 PM
how about we get rid of the coin toss and go XFL.

Put the ball on the 20 yard line. Line to guys up at the 10, and just like a race, the first one to reach the ball and gain full control of it wins it for their team. It's the only damn thing the XFL did right and the NFL refs can't screw this up like a coin toss which they seem to do all the time.

Rocky Raccoon
07-11-2006, 08:24 PM
there is NOTHING wrong with the overtime rule. People like to complain and say it isn't fair that first to score wins. How is it not fair? You have a defense, use it.

ganooch
07-11-2006, 08:48 PM
i would have overtime played as a fifteen minute period. the whole 15 minutes is to be played just like football. whoever has the lead at the end of 15 wins.

2. award 4 pts for field goals over 50 yds.

MikeO
07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
i would have overtime played as a fifteen minute period. the whole 15 minutes is to be played just like football. whoever has the lead at the end of 15 wins.

2. award 4 pts for field goals over 50 yds.

1) A 15 min overtime and a 1pm game might not end till close to 6pm. People have to work the next day and get home. And TV and everything, just too long. And god for bid a 4pm start

2) You can't award an extra point for longer field goals. Cause when a team gets near the 35 yard line and has a 3rd and long or something, they will just take a knee and try the long kick instead of running a play. It would ruin the game. What COULD be done is only award 2 pts for field goals inside of 25 yards or something. Forcing teams to try and score a TD.

Boik14
07-13-2006, 12:08 AM
1. No more commercial time outs. Every change of possession gets kind of ridiculous. Thank goodness for tivo
2. Any endzone celebration should be allowed. Players accomplished something good, let them celebrate. Unless theyre down by more then 2 tds. Then it should be a stupidity fine of 5k.
3. Lastly, Id agree with the person who said make pass interference reviewable.

Straztheman
07-15-2006, 06:35 PM

Right on. I dont really get it either.

Also i just thought about that stupid Tuck rule. I was so mad when they used that in the Pats Raiders game. That was such a clear fumble.

Kadiddlehopper
07-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Just score a TD, hand the ball to the ref...and move on. Anything more, flag em! No, ejection! That'll stop them. :D
Celebration's are for when you win the Title!

gtr4985
07-23-2006, 08:36 PM
the one i hate is down by contact. Then you cant challenge the play if a fumble occured. that needs to be changed:dolphins:

BDC87
07-24-2006, 07:42 PM
No regulating Jersey numbers, and Red flags can be used under 2 minutes.

elliott
07-25-2006, 05:52 AM
I've not been into football for very long, but I've noticed that it's quite odd that an offensive lineman can be drawn offside by the defensive lineman. If the D lineman gets punished for causing the O lineman to jump, that's silly.

How about a rule whereby if a RB jukes and causes an LB to slip over, the RB gets punished for causing the player to slip. <---- Sarcastic

elliott
07-25-2006, 05:57 AM
Oh yeah. And I agree with the College overtime thing except start teams from the 30.

@@@
07-25-2006, 06:49 AM
How about something like soccer??? Where they put say 7 minutes on the clock, and after 7 minutes whoever has the lead wins the game. You can score as many times as possible. Odds are both teams will get the ball once. Do it like that.

It involves some strategy. Both teams should get the ball. And if a team doesn't, then their defense must suck and they deserve to lose anyway.

Just set the clock for a certain amount of time, and play it out.My first reaction was that would be great.......then after a few minutes it dawned on me that there is still a decent chance of ending tied after the extra period and with no "penalty shootout" device it probably isnt workable.

How about having overtime as it is but no field goals so a team much score a touchdown to win, because teams would have to go further to score the advantage of winning the toss isnt as great.

Other than that i'd allow fumbles and Pass int to be challenged and remove fair catches (great idea whoever posted it)