PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Brooks goes to the Bengals in the 3rd- PFT

Disgustipate
07-13-2006, 01:18 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I'm a little more certain he's a turd now ;)

popularwar
Sucks.

Bjorn
BROOKS TO BENGALS

The Bengals have selected linebacker Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the Supplemental Draft.

It figures.
More to come

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

Swerve
07-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Well, picking before the Bengals, we can't be upset that we never had the opportunity to give up a 3rd rounder for him.

Obvioulsy, the staff feels like he's not a 3rd round guy, and at least we know that.

burger13
07-13-2006, 01:20 PM
.....and they picked after us, so if true, Saban didn't feel he was worth a 3rd round pick

jason8er
07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
.....and they picked after us, so if true, Saban didn't feel he was worth a 3rd round pick
And that should be good enough for all of us.

AJW42083
07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Im just glad we still have the pick for next years "real" draft!

dominizzo
07-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Why The Bengals!!!
HE wont even get playing time!!

Brian Simmons Odell Thurman David Pollack

Bjorn
07-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Well I gotta go change my avatar now.:boohoo:

Lazy1
07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Why The Bengals!!!

Marvin Lewis is a guy you just let him do his thing with a defense. He is a kind of guy that is hard to question who he picks on the defensive side of the ball.

RenoFinFan
07-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Don't worry...we will be able to pick him up cheap in a couple of years when he gets done serving one his likely one year bans for testing positive.

MikeO
07-13-2006, 01:31 PM
hope they gave him a piss test before they made that pick

Mindwarp
07-13-2006, 01:33 PM
3rd rounder..interesting.

dominizzo
07-13-2006, 01:33 PM
i guess It wasnt meant to be for reason!!!

I am just freaking out tHE BEngals out of all teams

burger13
07-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Marvin Lewis is a guy you just let him do his thing with a defense. He is a kind of guy that is hard to question who he picks on the defensive side of the ball.

Is that why there were only 4 worse defenses in the league last year (SF, HOU, STL, BUF).

the Bengals needed help on defense.

dominizzo
07-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Is that why there were only 4 worse defenses in the league last year (SF, HOU, STL, BUF).

the Bengals needed help on defense.

ya on the Line!!

But they have 3 Great LBS already!!

Like I Said Pollack Thurman Simmons:dolphins:

whatsburning
07-13-2006, 01:37 PM
It's called depth!

Fresh
Marvin Lewis + Ahmad Brooks + Hard work & Dedication = Pro Bowl.

fishyanks
Don't worry...we will be able to pick him up cheap in a couple of years when he gets done serving one his likely one year bans for testing positive.

:lol:

derek
07-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Why The Bengals!!!

Yeah, but he and Thurman can rotate parole times. ;-)

JK! I like what little I've seen of him, but a 3rd round pick is a bit too high a risk.

burger13
07-13-2006, 01:38 PM
ya on the Line!!

Pollack had 28 tackles last year.........he was a very good college DE, but certainly not a lock to be a great pro LB. Off-field issues aside, I'd easily take Brooks over Pollack.

simmons isn't exactly a young pup either at 31......they could wind up releasing Simmons after this year and have a young Lb corp of Pollack, Brooks and Thurman.

RenoFinFan
07-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Marvin Lewis + Ahmad Brooks + Hard work & Dedication = Pro Bowl.

Marvin Lewis + Ahmad Brooks + Smoking dope = Suspension

Strangeworld
AHH screw it... if Saban did not feel he was worth a 3rd then I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Fresh
Marvin Lewis + Ahmad Brooks + Smoking dope = Suspension
Any player in the league + "smoking dope" = suspension, IF CAUGHT. :confused:

I hope you realize how many NFL players smoke weed and don't get busted..

cnc66
07-13-2006, 01:42 PM
so much for all us smartie britches thinking Nick might even go as high as a 2nd.... it seems the highest we could have offered was 4th, IF we offered anything at all. Does anyone know how we might learn what we DID offer?

RenoFinFan
07-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Any player in the league + "smoking dope" = suspension. :confused:

But only a special few come into the league having already been kicked off their college team for having already done so.

jbond
07-13-2006, 01:44 PM
he was worth a 3rd, look at other 3rd round picks we've spent the last 5 years....

ckparrothead
ya on the Line!!

Lewis ran a 3-4/4-3 hybrid in Baltimore. Brooks gives them that opportunity in Cincinnati.

Their DL consists of Justin Smith, Robert Geathers, Bryan Robinson and Sam Adams.

Robinson has always been light in the run stuffing dept, more destined for a 3-4 DT/DE role. Sam Adams, obviously a jumbo NT. Justin Smith (6'4" and 275), kind of like another Aaron Smith or Richard Seymour.

David Pollack is still far more comfortable putting his hand down than standing up.

The Bengals could now field a 3-4 that has Justin Smith at LDE, Sam Adams at NT, and Bryan Robinson at RDE, with David Pollack at ROLB, Odell Thurman at RILB, Brian Simmons at LILB, and Ahmad Brooks at LOLB.

That's pretty much EXACTLY what we were going to do with him.

Fresh
But only a special few come into the league having already been kicked off their college team for having already done so.

Like I said, you don't realize how many NFL players smoke weed.

I'm sure quite a few Dolphins do as well. Cigs are worse anyways.

Besides, I said "hardwork & dedication" - Dedication leading to, not doing anything ILLEGAL maybe? :cooldude:

burger13
07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
so much for all us smartie britches thinking Nick might even go as high as a 2nd.... it seems the highest we could have offered was 4th, IF we offered anything at all. Does anyone know how we might learn what we DID offer?

It appers that it as a ound-by-round format........so we didn't offer anything becasue the bengals got him in the third.

No way to know what we WOULD have offered, unless Saban decides for some odd reason to share.

RenoFinFan
07-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Like I said, you don't realize how many NFL players smoke weed.

I'm sure quite a few Dolphins do as well. Cigs are worse anyways.

You do realize that is why RW was suspended/quit don't you? Do you think they are not going to test a guy "KICKED OFF" his college team? Cincinnati is probably the worst team for him to go. They have now surrounded a turd by a bunch of turds. Seems like a pretty crappy situation.

BLITZKRIEG
07-13-2006, 01:50 PM
I must say knowing that the Bengals picked after we did, I'm more than alittle disappointed this hour. We needed Brooks in a big way, much more than the Bengals did, and considering we could have had him for only a 3rd and didn't pull the trigger is a shame....

Saban / Mueller missed the boat on this one in my opinion. Still, at least we will have that pick for next years NFL draft. All isn't lost I guess, but the trio of Brooks / Thomas / Crowder would have been incredible.....

PHINZ RULE!!!

ckparrothead

Looks like that phone call we made to Brooks was indeed us telling him we were not going to pick him.

cnc66
It appers that it as a ound-by-round format........so we didn't offer anything becasue the bengals got him in the third.

No way to know what we WOULD have offered, unless Saban decides for some odd reason to share.

I certainly agree it is unlikely Nick will tell us, I was just wondering if the NFL disclosed this kind of info..

DolfanDaveInATX
07-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I hear the Bengals are redesigning the uniforms for this season. The helmet stripes will now be vertical so that the young guys feel like they're in a more familiar environment. :sidelol:

burger13
07-13-2006, 01:55 PM
I certainly agree it is unlikely Nick will tell us, I was just wondering if the NFL disclosed this kind of info..

Format being the way it is.........the only info that the NFL would have, is what other teams (with picks lower than the bengals) attempted to draft him in the 3rd round..........and it's very unlikely that they would disclose that.

PhinsRDbest
07-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I must say knowing that the Bengals picked after we did, I'm more than alittle disappointed this hour. We needed Brooks in a big way, much more than the Bengals did, and considering we could have had him for only a 3rd and didn't pull the trigger is a shame....

Saban / Mueller missed the boat on this one in my opinion. Still, at least we will have that pick for next years NFL draft. All isn't lost I guess, but the trio of Brooks / Thomas / Crowder would have been incredible.....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Pretty much sums up what Im feeling know. I'm going to hate that feeling that I will get everytime Brooks makes the Pro Bowl. I guess it could be worse the Jets or Pats could have got him.

PHINANALYST
07-13-2006, 01:57 PM
I doubt that SABAN will tell us what round he offered a pick in ... he would tell us whether or not he offered a pick though ...

It would be bad form to say what round the pick was offered ...

Fresh
07-13-2006, 02:03 PM
You do realize that is why RW was suspended/quit don't you? Do you think they are not going to test a guy "KICKED OFF" his college team? Cincinnati is probably the worst team for him to go. They have now surrounded a turd by a bunch of turds. Seems like a pretty crappy situation.
Like I originally stated, "+ hardwork & dedication"

If you properly understand the meaning of dedication, then you'd realize that it involves being committed, which in NFL standards, means not smoking weed among other things. :shakeno:

I find it funny how you mention Ricky "quitting" but ignore giving Ahmad that opportunity..

Philter25
07-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Anyone else picked? Or is it over now? I would have liked to have Brooks....

Spray Mucus
07-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Anyone else picked? Or is it over now?

:yeahthat:

I would have liked to have Brooks....

:yeahthattoo:

RenoFinFan
07-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Like I originally stated, "+ hardwork & dedication"

If you properly understand the meaning of dedication, then you'd realize that it involves being committed, which in NFL standards, means not smoking weed among other things. :shakeno: I find it funny how you mention Ricky "quitting" but ignore giving Ahmad that opportunity..

You have got to be kidding...can you give one example of Brooks being committed. :shakeno: Was he committed to his college team? He was kicked off for multiple offenses, not just one. Where is the commitment and dedication in that? I can give you plenty of examples of him not being committed. Being dedicated and committed is a part of someone's character. The best indication of someone's character is past behaivor. Do you know his background?

BLITZKRIEG
07-13-2006, 02:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2518193

How did the Bengals get ahead of Miami and Frisco????....

It says they'll be giving up a 3rd in 2007, but in order to jump infront of teams picking ahead of you durng the draft, don't you usually have to trade up with someone, and give up future picks to do so?? I don't see anything about the Bengals having to give up an extra pick anywhere....

How did they manage to get ahead of both of us, without having to give up more than one pick is what I'd like to know...

PHINZ RULE!!!!

fish fan 4 life
07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
O well

burger13
07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2518193

How did the Bengals get ahead of Miami and Frisco????....

It says they'll be giving up a 3rd in 2007, but in order to jump infront of teams picking ahead of you durng the draft, don't you usually have to trade up with someone, and give up future picks to do so?? I don't see anything about the Bengals having to give up an extra pick anywhere....

How did they manage to get ahead of both of us, without having to give up more than one pick is what I'd like to know...

PHINZ RULE!!!!

they picked him ahead of Miami and SF by using a 3rd round pick. The Dolphins and Niners elected NOt to select him in any of the first 3 rounds.....or else he would have went to one of them before Cincy.

The writer is just saying that they used a higher (round) pick on him.....not that they in any way moved ahead of them in the draft order. If SF put a 3rd round bid in, he was theirs.

MadLib
07-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm beyond disappointed. Odds are that we'll be talking about how we missed out on Brooks for a long time. I could have sworn bringing in an impact linebacker (Arrington, Peterson, Brooks?) was at the top of our list of priorities this offseason.

ckparrothead
07-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Put 2 and 2 together...and I doubt Miami would have even used a 4th on him.

BLITZKRIEG
07-13-2006, 02:57 PM
The writer is just saying that they used a higher (round) pick on him.....not that they in any way moved ahead of them in the draft order.

The Bengals jumped in front of the 49ers and other teams to select Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the supplemental draft.

From my chair, it sure sounds like they did something to get ahead of us. At least that's the impression this article is giving us....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Mile High Fin
07-13-2006, 03:01 PM
The Bengals jumped in front of the 49ers and other teams to select Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the supplemental draft.

From my chair, it sure sounds like they did something to get ahead of us. At least that's the impression this article is giving us....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Yes, you're correct, that's the impression given by the article.
But, the article is very poorly worded.

No team can change its position in the supp. draft.
We ended up with the 15th selection (49ers had the 1st, and the Bengals had the 22nd). It's a weighted lottery with 3 "tiers".

The article simply means that the Bengals used a 3rd pick (higher than anybody else), and thus, "jumped" ahead of other contenders...

ckparrothead
07-13-2006, 03:01 PM

PHINZ RULE!!!

That's not the case. He's referring to the widely-held view that Brooks was being graded as a 4th rounder...and therefore the Bengals used their 3rd rounder to get him ahead of the 49ers and other teams.

BLITZKRIEG
07-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Yes, you're correct, that's the impression given by the article.
But, the article is very poorly worded.

No team can change its position in the supp. draft.
We ended up with the 15th selection (49ers had the 1st, and the Bengals had the 22nd). It's a weighted lottery with 3 "tiers".

The article simply means that the Bengals used a 3rd pick (higher than anybody else), and thus, "jumped" ahead of other contenders...

If the Bengals didn't jump "ahead" of anyone, why say that they did?? Why not just say, "the Bengals used their 2007 3rd rounder on OLB A. Brooks". Over and done with, and simple to understand....

When a writer uses the words "jumped ahead of", that leave everyone to believe they moved up in order to get him ahead of everyone else. It doesn't make sense to say it, if they didn't do it....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Mile High Fin
07-13-2006, 03:07 PM
If the Bengals didn't jump "ahead" of anyone, why say that they did?? Why not just say, "the Bengals used their 2007 3rd rounder on OLB A. Brooks". Over and done with, and simple to understand....

When a writer uses the words "jumped ahead of", that leave everyone to believe they moved up in order to get him ahead of everyone else. It doesn't make sense to say it, if they didn't do it....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Correct.
Which is why I said it's very poorly worded article.

:cooldude:

ckparrothead
07-13-2006, 03:11 PM
It could have been worded better...but I think its not impossible to understand what they meant.

BLITZKRIEG
07-13-2006, 03:15 PM
It's over, and I'm done complaining about it. It is what it is I guess....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

ckparrothead
07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
I gotta say I feel foolish for thinking we'd have taken him with a high pick. Oh well.

I may be a whore for the talent-of-the-month, but it appears Saban's a lot more consistent than that.

cnc66
07-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I gotta say I feel foolish for thinking we'd have taken him with a high pick. Oh well.

I may be a whore for the talent-of-the-month, but it appears Saban's a lot more consistent than that.

ah well... truth is, when you posted your "take" on the phonecall, my heart sank recognizing you might very well be right.

PhinsRock
07-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Is this a FACT? Not sure I trust a "rumor mill" on PFW.

ckparrothead
07-13-2006, 03:29 PM
I should have known better simply because I've expounded upon in the past the manner in which Nick Saban takes on character risks of this sort. He does it in a riskless setting.

David Boston required no investment (veteran's minimum). Rod Wright required only a 7th rounder. Marcus Vick is a UDFA, likely to be cut. Kevin Vickerson is a 7th rounder. He inherited Ricky Williams. Manny Wright was a 5th rounder but he also might be the only player in the NFL who at 6'6" and a full 330 pounds can run below a 5.0 in the 40 (I've yet to see any 330 pounder do that other than Manatee...not even Haloti Ngata).

Compared to those guys, Channing Crowder and Daunte Culpepper were angels. They were first and foremost GOOD PEOPLE and hard workers, that had circumstancial rap sheets.

Ahmad Brooks ain't no angel. You don't get kicked out of your football program being a angel. I knew, absolutely knew, that Nick Saban had yet to take on a risk like Brooks...I guess I just figured if the Pats can pay a 2nd for Corey Dillon we could pay a 3rd for Ahmad Brooks.

Wrong.

dominizzo
07-13-2006, 03:55 PM
AHHH Welll life goes on

finatic1354
07-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Dont worry people WE STILL have Eddie Moore.........:goof:

Dors156
07-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Well I gotta go change my avatar now.:boohoo:

sadly:(

Dors156
07-13-2006, 04:08 PM
thats a good young linebacker duo for the bengs.odell thurman and now ahmad brooks

FinFan57
07-13-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm glad we took a flyer on Ahmad Brooks. A third round pick was just too high for a guy who has consistently shown to be immature and a poor decision maker.

The chemistry of the Dolphins is great and we don't need the next Terrell Owens destroying what is a blossoming perennial playoff team.

I wish the Bengals well, but I think they will regret giving up a 3rd rounder for Brooks.