PDA

View Full Version : Question for ex-military

PhinPhan1227
04-11-2003, 11:43 AM
What "stupid little thing" do you retain from military service/basic training? I'm not talking about the "made me a man", "taught me I could do more than I thought I could" stuff...I mean a stupid little habit that the military instilled which you've never shaken. For me it's buttoning every button. I only just thought about it because I realized that when I take my wallet out of my back pocket...I'll button the button even though I'm going to put the damned thing back in about 35 seconds. Quirky little habit, but it's still with me after getting dropped a few times for having a button unbuttoned in Basic. Just curious if anyone else had a few quirks which will be with them forever.

LeftCoastPhin
04-11-2003, 12:23 PM
I can't think of any, but I was in the Guard so about 4 months later I shook off a lot of the habits beings I was stationed in Ft. Living Room. I know my buddy who was active still eats fast! (LOL, actually after thinking about it I am also a sticker on my buttons) That is funny, but not surprising considering how the Army frowns upon unbuttoned clothing!

I seriously thought of going active but lack the discipline. As I've always said though, I would join active if I had to with no qualms. But right now there's more than enough who are more qualified and I salute them.

Anyway, overall, the military was a great experience. I enjoyed the values that were instilled and reinforced. But most of all, and I think we all agree on this, the people you meet and the comraderie is the best part.

PhinPhan1227
04-11-2003, 12:41 PM
I still enjoy the fact that with the exception of my actual siblings, there were things that I said and did to my buddies in the Army that would have gotten my ass in a fight with anybody else. And these were guys I had just met in many cases. I remember this one guy...first day in my new unit...starts asking me questions about myself. Started off with..."where you from?" moved on to "you got a girlfriend?"... followed by "does she $@#%?", and finished with "think she'd like me?". Turns out it was a standard script with this guy and he ran through it with every newbie. Any other guy that I just met I'd have kicked his ass, but for some reason, I just laughed when he did it to me, and I rolled whenever I watched him do it with another newbie. There's just something about the uniform.

LeftCoastPhin
04-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
I still enjoy the fact that with the exception of my actual siblings, there were things that I said and did to my buddies in the Army that would have gotten my ass in a fight with anybody else. And these were guys I had just met in many cases. I remember this one guy...first day in my new unit...starts asking me questions about myself. Started off with..."where you from?" moved on to "you got a girlfriend?"... followed by "does she $@#%?", and finished with "think she'd like me?". Turns out it was a standard script with this guy and he ran through it with every newbie. Any other guy that I just met I'd have kicked his ass, but for some reason, I just laughed when he did it to me, and I rolled whenever I watched him do it with another newbie. There's just something about the uniform.

So, true, so true

WharfRat
04-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Well.. for one... I can't stand to see tarnished brass! Whenever I do, the Brasso comes out!

Penthos
04-11-2003, 12:59 PM
My "gig line", at least thats what we called it in the Navy. Its the line thats created by the button eye edge of the shirt, belt buckle edge, and pants zipper. They must all be in alignment... Ten years later and I'm still always very concious of it...

PhinPhan1227
04-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Lol...I've only gotten away from that in lining up the center of the buckle, instead of the buckle edge. And that only because my wife kept bugging me and telling me it looked "off center".

Penthos
04-11-2003, 02:48 PM
My wife was in the air force so it doesn't bother her at all ;)

Barbarian
04-11-2003, 02:57 PM
All my clothes gets folded exactly the same way that they did in bootcamp, if it's not on a hanger, its folded to precision.

PhinPhan1227
04-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Barbarian
All my clothes gets folded exactly the same way that they did in bootcamp, if it's not on a hanger, its folded to precision.

Lol...sock balls rolled so tightly you could kill someone with them?

WharfRat
04-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Also... if I'm walking with my boss, or some other higher-up... I find myself staying one step back to his right.....

:rolleyes:

themole
04-11-2003, 06:07 PM
It's the gig line with me also. Drives me crazy to see someone that will not keep it straight, evryone in my family knows what the gig line is, :lol: or have their belt on backwards, ie... the buckle running opposite the gig line. If I were king that offence would get them 20 everytime. Unpolished shoes or boots is another, along with that brass fetish that Wharf mentioned. I also like to have things in their place...and I'm a believer of form following function...which has been a 28 year battle with my wife.

dolfan06
04-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by themole
It's the gig line with me also. Drives me crazy to see someone that will not keep it straight, evryone in my family knows what the gig line is, :lol: or have their belt on backwards, ie... the buckle running opposite the gig line. If I were king that offence would get them 20 everytime. Unpolished shoes or boots is another, along with that brass fetish that Wharf mentioned. I also like to have things in their place...and I'm a believer of form following function...which has been a 28 year battle with my wife. when i was 13, i was in a boys camp. they tried to run it like a branch of the military even do day, 43 years later, when i'm walking with somebody i feel like i have to "dress right!"

themole
04-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by dolfan06
when i was 13, i was in a boys camp. they tried to run it like a branch of the military even do day, 43 years later, when i'm walking with somebody i feel like i have to "dress right!"

:D Here's something I've cought myself doing...while walking side by side I feel an urge to keep in step.

dolfan06
04-11-2003, 10:57 PM
:D Here's something I've cought myself doing...while walking side by side I feel an urge to keep in step. i wish that dude hadn't started this thread!:D i walk every day and just today i noticed i keep in step too!:rolleyes:

WharfRat
04-11-2003, 11:08 PM
:D Here's something I've cought myself doing...while walking side by side I feel an urge to keep in step.

Have you ever caught yourself calling cadence under your breath while walking?

:foundout:

I have....

dolfan06
04-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by WharfRat

I have.... nope, haven't done that. but on turns, i've noticed i drag my inside foot the way we did in camp!:rolleyes:

themole
04-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by WharfRat

I have....

Man....That happens all the time! Especially on the tread mill! It got so annoying I had to resort to using headphones...but it was only the 1 2 3 4...1 2 3 4s...the left...right... left...rights never spoke to me.:confused: :lol:

dolfan06
04-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Man....That happens all the time! Especially on the tread mill! It got so annoying I had to resort to using headphones...but it was only the 1 2 3 4...1 2 3 4s...the left...right... left...rights never spoke to me.:confused: :lol: i had heard there were voices talking to you!:D :eek:

themole
04-11-2003, 11:27 PM
nope, haven't done that. but on turns, i've noticed i drag my inside foot the way we did in camp!:rolleyes:

06...did they weld your spider gears in camp? Be mindful that'l wear the rubber off your shoes!:evil: :D

dolfan06
04-11-2003, 11:30 PM
06...did they weld your spider gears in camp? Be mindful that'l wear the rubber off your shoes!:evil: :D we had australian army issue boots, they had metal studs in the leather, no rubber!;)

themole
04-11-2003, 11:34 PM
i had heard there were voices talking to you!:D :eek:

Alls well Bro...I'm not talking back to them ...yet!:nono:

themole
04-11-2003, 11:40 PM
we had australian army issue boots, they had metal studs in the leather, no rubber!;)

06...I just noticed that your points have been reduced to 95....AJ didn't levy a heavy fine agin ya did he?:evil: :lol:

dolfan06
04-11-2003, 11:59 PM
06...I just noticed that your points have been reduced to 95....AJ didn't levy a heavy fine agin ya did he?:evil: :lol: naw, i wasn't doing anything with em, so i gave em to wharf!:rolleyes:

Barbarian
04-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Lol...sock balls rolled so tightly you could kill someone with them?

I am actually a supplier to third world countries, they use my socks to throw at tanks.

My socks have claimed 4 Armored vehicles so far, and theese are the clean ones, the dirty ones are illegal according to the rules of warfare as chemical weapons. ;)

dolfan06
04-12-2003, 12:23 PM
What "stupid little thing" do you retain from military service/basic training? I'm not talking about the "made me a man", "taught me I could do more than I thought I could" stuff...I mean a stupid little habit that the military instilled which you've never shaken. For me it's buttoning every button. I only just thought about it because I realized that when I take my wallet out of my back pocket...I'll button the button even though I'm going to put the damned thing back in about 35 seconds. Quirky little habit, but it's still with me after getting dropped a few times for having a button unbuttoned in Basic. Just curious if anyone else had a few quirks which will be with them forever. i'm still a stickler for making the bed, my wife has a quilt on top, but if i do it, i have a blanket on top!:rolleyes: