PDA

View Full Version : Music Gurus, please Chime in..

bg34
07-28-2006, 09:05 PM
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can explain the answer to. When someone says,"all their music sounds the same", why is that a bad thing? Isn't is supposed to? For example, all "death metal" sounds the same to me, but isn't is supposed to? That's why it gets that tag. That's why it falls into that category/genre. I like Mudvayne and yes, all their music sounds the same but it's because that what style of music they play and I like it that way. Same goes with Godsmack, Tool, etc., imo. I don't know, maybe I'm not making any sense, maybe I've had a few too many beers, lol, but I just don't understand it.

thoughts? opinions?

Nappy Roots
07-28-2006, 09:13 PM
definitly not a good thing in rap music, i cant speak for other musics though.

Buddwalk
07-28-2006, 09:15 PM
depends...I dont agree with all tool sounds the same, but godsmack and mudvayne i'd agree. I see your point why you think deathmetal should sound like deathmetal but what makes a band unique is not being one sided to where all they can play is death metal...for instance metallica off the ride the lightning album, heavy metal head banging cd but they had some acoustic/clean riffs on the cd as well. Also despite being heavy riffs, they were melodic and stuck out from the rest :wink: :wink: :wink:

Fin Fan in Cali
07-28-2006, 09:17 PM
bg34 I am not in the music biz, but I think you have to vary the sound a bit, but a lot of bands have there foundation of sound as you would say. Like an AC/DC song is one you can pick up with a few cords of guitar.:wink:

Shula Come Back!
07-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Every band is going to have a similar sound, usually the lead singer or maybe they're known for their riffs or something. And most genres of music sound the same if you don't listen to them enough. If you talked to a death metal head, he would be able to sound the difference betweem all the bands. The thing is that you have to mix it up a little bit, experiment a little bit, but not so much that you lose your fans..it's a tough balance which is why so many bands fail after the first couple of albums....it's the only time I kinda feel sorry for these b*stards....but when it comes to the $, groupies, worship, fame, etc....then the sorrow goes away!!!!

unifiedtheory
07-28-2006, 09:27 PM
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can explain the answer to. When someone says,"all their music sounds the same", why is that a bad thing? Isn't is supposed to? For example, all "death metal" sounds the same to me, but isn't is supposed to? That's why it gets that tag. That's why it falls into that category/genre. I like Mudvayne and yes, all their music sounds the same but it's because that what style of music they play and I like it that way. Same goes with Godsmack, Tool, etc. I don't know, maybe I'm not making any sense, maybe I've had a few too many beers, lol, but I just don't understand it.

thoughts? opinions?
I was with you until you put TOOL in the same sentence as Mudvayne and Godsmack.

I like Mudvayne actually but Godsmack is garbage. Godsmack is still playing the same crap as they did on their first record. They have not grown at all.

TOOL is LIGHTYEARS better then either of the bands you mentioned. They are easlily my fave band so I am biased but they are the only band that truly matters to me. Lumping them in with the others is wrong. Not everything they do sounds the same anyway.

On topic:

Yes, you can say in some instances that "they sound like everyone else". Look at Nickelback, Default and Theory of a Deadman. All total garbage, all the brainchild of the same guy. They are interchangable bands. It is a genius idea actually. Have your own band, manage, fund and finance two other bands that sound exactly like your band. That way your'e always pumping out the same crap and moving records and rolling in the cash. It does'nt do a lot for the art though.

Their are copycat and knockoff bands within certain styles of music all the time. When a record label see's a formula that works and moves units they push the envelope until that niche is dead and buried (see 'grunge' in the 90's).

The secret to truly GREAT bands is they rise above the "genre" they get put into by the record label, fans and media and eventually create their own niche within that genre. They are the bands that constanly put out good music and grow.

Fin Fan in Cali
07-28-2006, 09:28 PM
I was with you until you put TOOL in the same sentence as Mudvayne and Godsmack.

I like Mudvayne actually but Godsmack is garbage. Godsmack is still playing the same crap as they did on their first record. They have not grown at all.

TOOL is LIGHTYEARS better then either of the bands you mentioned. They are easlily my fave band so I am biased but they are the only band that truly matters to me. Lumping them in with the others is wrong. Not everything they do sounds the same anyway.

On topic:

Yes, you can say in some instances that "they sound like everyone else". Look at Nickelback, Default and Theory of a Deadman. All total garbage, all the brainchild of the same guy. They are interchangable bands. It is a genius idea actually. Have your own band, manage, fund and finance two other bands that sound exactly like your band. That way your'e always pumping out the same crap and moving records and rolling in the cash. It does'nt do a lot for the art though.

Their are copycat and knockoff bands within certain styles of music all the time. When a record label see's a formula that works and moves units they push the envelope until that niche is dead and buried (see 'grunge' in the 90's).

The secret to truly GREAT bands is they rise above the "genre" they get put into by the record label, fans and media and eventually create their own niche within that genre. They are the bands that constanly put out good music and grow.:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: I like Godsmack.:wink:

Silverphin
07-28-2006, 09:29 PM

On topic:

The secret to truly GREAT bands is they rise above the "genre" they get put into by the record label, fans and media and eventually create their own niche within that genre. They are the bands that constanly put out good music and grow.

Okay unified, what is your opinion on Linkin Park? I'm not saying they are as good as Tool or Metallica since they are still a young band. Just wondering?

unifiedtheory
07-28-2006, 09:35 PM
:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: I like Godsmack.:wink:

I'm just voicing my opinion FFIC...i'm sure you'd laugh at some of the stuff I listen to...:D

I used to like them. Their first record still gets play in my house. I saw them live on their first tour and they impressed the hell out of me....lot's of energy in the building.

I just don't like how, in my opinion, they have not grown as a band. To continue to be relevent you have to evolve not just putting out records for the sake of putting out records.

bg34
07-28-2006, 09:36 PM
I don't mean sayin that certain bands sound like others, I meant when someone says that all thier songs are alike. Why would you want them different? If you heard a new song by an unknown band and you found out their name, got their cd, wouldn't you hope that the "sound" or "style" would be like the song you heard that made you like it? Sorry, if this is confusing.

And I wasn't clumping Tool with Godsmack, I was just naming random bands off the top of my head that I think have the same sound throughout their library of songs. But I think the songs on Tool's new Cd sound the same, not my style, nor would I call it garbage like you did to my fav. band but it's all good. I just guess I don't dissect music as much as others.

Fin Fan in Cali
07-28-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm just voicing my opinion FFIC...i'm sure you'd laugh at some of the stuff I listen to...:D

I used to like them. Their first record still gets play in my house. I saw them live on their first tour and they impressed the hell out of me....lot's of energy in the building.

I just don't like how, in my opinion, they have not grown as a band. To continue to be relevent you have to evolve not just putting out records for the sake of putting out records.Bro I hear you. I was messing with you. I know what you are saying. There is no push to expand and grow, to which they could be even better then they are now. Maybe writing outside of the box makes them nervous, and uncomfortable, because it an unknown. I respect your opinion bro.:wink:

bg34
07-28-2006, 09:38 PM
And I don't mean for this to get into a " your band sucks, and my band rocks" pissing match, I am just searchin for some enlightenment, lol.

Fin Fan in Cali
07-28-2006, 09:38 PM
And I don't mean for this to get into a " your band sucks, and my band rocks" pissing match, I am just searchin for some enlightenment, lol.It's all good bro, I am going for a beer, you want one? You will have to like Bass Ale!:wink:

Fin Fan in Cali
07-28-2006, 09:39 PM
We agree to respectfully disagree.:D

bg34
07-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Lol, I've had enough tonight.

Shula Come Back!
07-28-2006, 09:42 PM
I don't mean sayin that certain bands sound like others, I meant when someone says that all thier songs are alike. Why would you want them different? If you heard a new song by an unknown band and you found out their name, got their cd, wouldn't you hope that the "sound" or "style" would be like the song you heard that made you like it? Sorry, if this is confusing.

And I wasn't clumping Tool with Godsmack, I was just naming random bands off the top of my head that I think have the same sound throughout their library of songs. But I think the songs on Tool's new Cd sound the same, not my style, nor would I call it garbage like you did to my fav. band but it's all good. I just guess I don't dissect music as much as others.

I almost agree with you a little. I friggin' love Tool and would never ever want to hear them in the same sentence as Mudvayne or AICSmack, I mean Godsmack:lol: With that said I found their new album to not have any new dynamics on it. I mean, everything is there...it's dark, heavy, weird, long, and what you'd expect after waiting 5 years between LP's,. However I though that Aenima was a step up from undetow which is a great album, and I also thought that Lateralus had it's own unique sound. 10,000 days, although great (esp. for a band that's been around for 15 years) contains not much new....sounds like Lateralus to me..Jambi did standout and kick my a** though!

unifiedtheory
07-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I almost agree with you a little. I friggin' love Tool and would never ever want to hear them in the same sentence as Mudvayne or AICSmack, I mean Godsmack:lol: With that said I found their new album to not have any new dynamics on it. I mean, everything is there...it's dark, heavy, weird, long, and what you'd expect after waiting 5 years between LP's,. However I though that Aenima was a step up from undetow which is a great album, and I also thought that Lateralus had it's own unique sound. 10,000 days, although great (esp. for a band that's been around for 15 years) contains not much new....sounds like Lateralus to me..Jambi did standout and kick my a** though!
That's funny because I think 10,000 Days contains more new sounds then anything they've done.

Undertow was dark and riffy and found itself getting carried much of the time by Maynard's voice. Undertow reminded me of an early Black Sabbath album on steroids.

Aenima was a preview of what the band would become. It was very well produced and it was much more progressive then Undertow. The band was able to experiment a lot more. Part of this, in my opinion, was the addition of Justin Chancellor on bass. The album, while not as "bottom endy" as Undertow got carried by the rythem section. The evolution of Danny Carey as a drummer was just beginning as well.

Lateralus was an extension of Aenima in my opinion. The difference is that it was even more progressive. Maynard really stepped back in Lateralus. The vocals are tuned down. He is more of an instrument on Lateralus then a singer.

10,000 Days is beginning a new chapter for them in my opinion. The album has many more left turns then any of their previous stuff. Every song has it's unique feel about it.

In my opinion it's the darkest record they've ever done. Songs like "The Pot", "Jambi" and "10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)" are totally differnent then anything I've ever heard from them. They continue to evolve and with Maynard disconnecting himself from "A Perfect Circle" I think they are getting stronger. I just hope it does'nt take 5 years for the next record.

Damn...I'm seeing them on August 22nd...my 6th time...it can't come fast enough.

Shula Come Back!
07-28-2006, 10:02 PM
That's funny because I think 10,000 Days contains more new sounds then anything they've done.

Undertow was dark and riffy and found itself getting carried much of the time by Maynard's voice. Undertow reminded me of an early Black Sabbath album on steroids.

Aenima was a preview of what the band would become. It was very well produced and it was much more progressive then Undertow. The band was able to experiment a lot more. Part of this, in my opinion, was the addition of Justin Chancellor on bass. The album, while not as "bottom endy" as Undertow got carried by the rythem section. The evolution of Danny Carey as a drummer was just beginning as well.

Lateralus was an extension of Aenima in my opinion. The difference is that it was even more progressive. Maynard really stepped back in Lateralus. The vocals are tuned down. He is more of an instrument on Lateralus then a singer.

10,000 Days is beginning a new chapter for them in my opinion. The album has many more left turns then any of their previous stuff. Every song has it's unique feel about it.

In my opinion it's the darkest record they've ever done. Songs like "The Pot", "Jambi" and "10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)" are totally differnent then anything I've ever heard from them. They continue to evolve and with Maynard disconnecting himself from "A Perfect Circle" I think they are getting stronger. I just hope it does'nt take 5 years for the next record.

Damn...I'm seeing them on August 22nd...my 6th time...it can't come fast enough.

Thats cool man! I saw them during the Lateralus tour. They are incredible. I really didn't find myself completely blown away by the new album. I love them and I do think the album is very good, I am not saying it sucks in anyway, I just felt a bit bored at times while listening to it.

Fin Fan in Cali
07-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Have a great weekend!:wink:

bg34
07-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Here's one.....Pearl Jam. They have definately evolved but in my opinion it was for the worse. IMO, I saw a steady decline with each CD starting with Vitalogy. I don't know too many people that would argue the statement that their first two CD's were their best. So if they would have stayed the same they'd still be tearin it up, right?

Shula Come Back!
07-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Here's one.....Pearl Jam. They have definately evolved but in my opinion it was for the worse. IMO, I saw a steady decline with each CD starting with Vitalogy. I don't know too many people that would argue the statement that their first two CD's were their best. So if they would have stayed the same they'd still be tearin it up, right?

I am probably the biggest PJ fan on this site!!! The first two CD's are easily their best!!! The third one "Vitalogy" is not far behind...the next two were a bit weaker, but not because they're so bad. I think it's more because their first ones were so good. They almost screwed themselves by setting the bar too high!!! A lot of it has to do with the way they stepped back on purpose. No videos, no exposure, lack of singles. Unless you're a diehard you probably didn't even buy the 4th or 5th LPs (the 6th Binaural one is by far the weakest in my opinion). There are some real gems on those Cd's but unless you own it, you would never know it. So the regular music fans who are not PJ freaks would never even hear it. IF you listen to "save you" from "riot act" or "marker in the sand" and "comatose" from the new one, those songs kick ***. They could've have been on one of those first three LP's. Every band reaches a peak and then declines, but I still think PJ had to slow down and mellow out a bit in order to make the sort of comeback they're making now (never really went anywhere, just out of the spotlight). Now they've got some new hard rockers on the new LP. made a video, did SNL, was featured on the cover of Rolling Stone, etc. NO band remains at the same level for 15 years!!!

bg34
07-28-2006, 10:31 PM
^ yeah, I have all their Cd's except their latest. Is it worth the buy? I was afraid it would fall in line with the rest of them as far as declining.

Shula Come Back!
07-28-2006, 10:41 PM
^ yeah, I have all their Cd's except their latest. Is it worth the buy? I was afraid it would fall in line with the rest of them as far as declining.

Not at all. The only time that PJ really disappointed me was Binaural. Other than "Nothing as it seems" that CD pretty much blows. I thought Riot Act was better and I think the new one is even better than that. But before I get you all hyped up, you can't compare the new CD to TEN or VS., that would be unfair seeing the opinion you have of their later music. If you compare it to the last few though, I think you will be pleasantly suprised. Don't take my word for it though. Preview the CD to get an idea. I'm sure there are better ones out there (this one only lets you listen to like 20 seconds of each song) but here's a link ot get an idea:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000ETQRCM/qid=1154140844/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-9812979-2221501?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

bg34
07-28-2006, 10:49 PM
thx dude!

Shula Come Back!
07-28-2006, 10:52 PM
thx dude!

No prob!!! Hope you like it!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
07-29-2006, 12:33 AM
because if a band makes songs that all sound the same, then why bother listening to any more than a few songs from them?