PDA

View Full Version : navy or army

t2thejz
04-11-2003, 07:40 PM
When i graduate from high school i plan on going to college and become an officer. I know i want to go into the military but im not sure if i wanna join the army or navy. could anyone give me some advice or just give me some info on both

Clumpy
04-12-2003, 06:08 AM
Depends on what type of job/career you want to pursue AND what's available (military uses quotas to fill understrength MOS's).....give us some more info and I'll give you my opinion.

Answer:

1) What career/job do you want?
2) Do you like camping? :lol:
3) Do you get sea-sick?

t2thejz
04-12-2003, 07:15 AM
For a career i want to retire in the military. I dont mind camping. I dont get sea sick

Barbarian
04-12-2003, 08:55 AM
theres alot to be said for the air force as well.

Remember in the Army/Airforce you have a good chance to be stationed at an overseas base for a year or 2 at a time, while in the Navy you'll likely be stationed in America and spend more time homeported here, but every 3 years or so of sea duty you can expect to spend at least 6 months on a med cruise/westpac.

In the end, I would have to recommend the Airforce when it comes to quality of life, they are topnotch in the services.

iceblizzard69
04-12-2003, 12:50 PM
I personally have no plans to join the military, and after high school I am going to go to college, and I don't have the most information on this, but I would think the Air Force has the best quality in life and you would also avoid a battlefield. If you want to be on the front lines, I would think the Marines would be the best option, but I am certainly no expert on this.

upstart
04-12-2003, 02:29 PM
If you wish to push your self to the edge....Go Army..go
Airborne..as an officer you will have the honor to lead
Americas best young men....the marines are ok too.

but as an x-member of the 82d Airborne I will say
Army "All The Way!"

FinHeavenAJ
04-12-2003, 02:50 PM
I am going to speak for my brother here when I say go Navy.

He never really wanted to "see the world"; however, he did want to see America. He has been in the Navy for about 10 years, and he's seen Chicago, New Orleans, and Seattle. He will soon be departing Seattle this year, I do believe, and he has his option to go to Rhode Island, Jacksonville, or Hawaii.

In addition, he has never been on a ship, and probably never will be. He enjoys his it, and has no complaints... except for boot camp... :lol:

So, I think the Navy will be the best of options... but it's truly up to you.

PS: Don't speak to an Army recruiter though. I spoke to one a few times, and those dude's are serious. I swore he was stalking me. He would call me constantly, and he even came to my house a few times. The dude was crazy...

Barbarian
04-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Hey AJ, ex-squid here, what does your brother do in the navy?

PS: I recommmend to him that he avoid Hawaii like the plague, but he has probably allready heard that a few times.

dolfan06
04-12-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
I am going to speak for my brother here when I say go Navy.

i've never been in the service, and my dad died when i was little, but he always ate good in the navy. seems like they're always involved in giving somebody a ride somewhere.

my uncle was in the air force and he said he didn't regret it, although during world war II he was shot down in germany and had to bail out over the netherlands. gave his parachute to a farmer and his wife made blouses the girls and shirts for the boys!

WharfRat
04-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by dolfan06
i've never been in the service, and my dad died when i was little, but he always ate good in the navy. seems like they're always involved in giving somebody a ride somewhere.

my uncle was in the air force and he said he didn't regret it, although during world war II he was shot down in germany and had to bail out over the netherlands. gave his parachute to a farmer and his wife made blouses the girls and shirts for the boys!

The Navy does do a lot of transportation.. the Marines depend on the Navy, and in a lot of cases, the Army does too.... although the Army will usually try to fly there...

Back in WWII the "Air Force" as we know it was actually the "Army Air Corps" ... so technically, you uncle was in the Army!
Just a little trivia for ya! ;)

Cool story about his 'chute !

baccarat
04-13-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by WharfRat

Back in WWII the "Air Force" as we know it was actually the "Army Air Corps" ... so technically, you uncle was in the Army!

1947 was the year the Air Force was founded. I was wondering what service would be the best option for someone who has a M.D.

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 01:17 AM
The Navy does do a lot of transportation.. the Marines depend on the Navy, and in a lot of cases, the Army does too.... although the Army will usually try to fly there...

Cool story about his 'chute ! thats funny, he had wings and everything!

WharfRat
04-13-2003, 01:26 AM
thats funny, he had wings and everything!

yes 06 ... The Army Air Corps had wings.... They were considered a part of the Army...just as the Marines were once considered a part of the Navy..

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 01:35 AM
yes 06 ... The Army Air Corps had wings.... They were considered a part of the Army...just as the Marines were once considered a part of the Navy.. actually he flew his missions over germany before i was born, but what i remember seeing was a airforce hat.

in WWII you had to fly 40 missions, then you could quit, he was shot down on his 40th, my grandmother used to love to tell that one!:rolleyes:

Barbarian
04-13-2003, 09:55 AM
i've never been in the service, and my dad died when i was little, but he always ate good in the navy.

He must have never ate on the USS Enterprise's galley then ;)

I'm not saying the food was bad.. because you could hardly call it food. ;)

WharfRat
04-13-2003, 11:24 AM
actually he flew his missions over germany before i was born, but what i remember seeing was a airforce hat.

06... I'm not disputing that your Father was a pilot, or that he flew over Germany in WWII....
All I'm saying is that during WWII, the Air Force wasn't called the Air Force... it was the Army Air Corps. Yes, the uniforms were different than the Regular Army's. They did not designate the "Air Force" as it's own branch until after the war was over....

The Department of the Air Force, an agency of the Department of Defense, was established on September 18, 1947, pursuant to provisions of the National Security Act of the previous July 26. On September 26, 1947, by order of the Secretary of Defense, personnel of the Army Air Forces (AAF) were transferred from the Department of the Army (formerly the War Department) to the Department of the Air Force and established as the United States Air Force (USAF).

From Air Force History Support Office Web Site (http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/PopTopics/Evolution.htm)

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Barbarian
He must have never ate on the USS Enterprise's galley then ;)

I'm not saying the food was bad.. because you could hardly call it food. ;) he was on the USS Tuscaloosa, a heavy cruiser!

Barbarian
04-13-2003, 01:02 PM
he was on the USS Tuscaloosa, a heavy cruiser!

Cool, do you know what it was that he did aboard the boat?

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Barbarian
Cool, do you know what it was that he did aboard the boat? yeah, he spent most of his time in the brig. he was constantly diving off the bridge to win a bet.

i do know he operated a pom-pom. i have a whole box of empty shells and shrapnel from hits in his sector!

Marino1983
04-13-2003, 07:38 PM
My dad was a paratrooper in WWII..... He's always telling the story of how G Patton addressed his platoon:rolleyes: ... Apparently there were alot of GI's that wanted to shoot Patton as bad as the enemy ...

My dad has never really talked about what happened when he was stationed in Europe,, in fact he absolutely refuses to watch movies like Private Ryan,, he say's that the realism brings back too many painful memories!!

But man some of the stories my dad has told about the women :jawdrop: :goof: :o !! There was a lot of this :drinker: and a whole heck of a lot of this :hump: going on after Germany was liberated ... Marino1983

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 08:52 PM
06... I'm not disputing that your Father was a pilot, or that he flew over Germany in WWII....
All I'm saying is that during WWII, the Air Force wasn't called the Air Force... it was the Army Air Corps. Yes, the uniforms were different than the Regular Army's. They did not designate the "Air Force" as it's own branch until after the war was over....

From Air Force History Support Office Web Site (http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/PopTopics/Evolution.htm) my dad was in the navy, his brother was a pilot!;)

t2thejz
04-14-2003, 07:48 AM
my grandfather was in vietnam and got shot in the knee went back to the us and when it healed he went back to vietnam as a helicopter pilot. He always shows me his medals. the only ones i could reconize were the 3 purple hearts. he retired while he was working in the pentogon. my grandmother still works in the pentogon and on sept 11 she was driving to work and heard on the radio about the world trade centers getting hit after she heard that she turned around and went back home. the plane ended up hitting where she was working and she probly would be dead if she didnt turn around.

PhinPhan1227
04-14-2003, 09:43 AM
yes 06 ... The Army Air Corps had wings.... They were considered a part of the Army...just as the Marines were once considered a part of the Navy..

Technically, they still are. Until they get their own Secretary, they'll always be a subBranch.

PhinPhan1227
04-14-2003, 09:48 AM
Go Army!! The Navy probably sets you up as well as the AirForce for a career after the service, but if you DO have to do Sea Duty, do YOU want to go that long without getting laid? Air Force is fine if you're trying to get job training or money for school...but unless you're a pilot, you can't even really say you were in the military...you just had a job you HAD to show up for every morning. Marines are tough, but there's that whole JarHead thing...So if you want to serve in the Military, you want to actually have a few decent stories to tell, and you want to be able to get laid without eyeballing your buddy in the next bunk....GO ARMY!!!!!!....:)

t2thejz
04-14-2003, 10:35 AM
thanx phinphan:lol: thats the best advice ive gotten so far

PhinPhan1227
04-14-2003, 11:19 AM
No problem man...it just comes down to what you want to get out of serving. Any of the Branches can give you money for school, or job experience. Not all of them will give you good "war stories" though, and you CERTAINLY don't want to be stuck in a situation where the prospects of "fraternization" are sparce. A two year hitch can seem like twenty that way!!!...:)

Barbarian
04-16-2003, 02:29 AM
yeah, he spent most of his time in the brig. he was constantly diving off the bridge to win a bet.

i do know he operated a pom-pom. i have a whole box of empty shells and shrapnel from hits in his sector!

Cool, sounds like he was in the same field as my old man, he used to man the quad 50's, has some great stories from Nam about it. :)

Joe Friday
06-20-2003, 08:58 AM
I was in the Army. Go Navy.

PhinPhan1227
06-20-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by booyeah_

1947 was the year the Air Force was founded. I was wondering what service would be the best option for someone who has a M.D.

Depends...are you a good doc or a bad doc? The Army needs all the good docs it can get because most of them suck ***. That being said, I'd recomend the Navy. They have the best rep in the medical field.

Bobby Humphrey
06-20-2003, 10:36 AM
army, i can't swim