PDA

View Full Version : Miami Vice Stinks Big Time

dominizzo
07-29-2006, 02:35 AM
woow what a flop this movie was!! No action at all long for nothing and a very bad ending!! Im really shocked in Micheal MAnn!!

I dont reccomend this film at all!!

Alot of people are dissapointed in then theatre!

Guys dont waste ur money

Nappy Roots
07-29-2006, 02:36 AM
lmao OK..

i thought you were going to be gone for a month or something

Jt0323
07-29-2006, 02:38 AM
I was hoping this movie to be a success...i was a huge fan of Collateral and hoping it was just as good..

dominizzo
07-29-2006, 02:40 AM
im in Boca Raton NAppy!! jus came back from watching Mimai vice!! huge dissapointment

King Felix
07-29-2006, 02:42 AM
:lol: thanks, wasnt going to watch it but now i definattly wont

Nappy Roots
07-29-2006, 02:45 AM
im definitly going to see it...

dominizzo
07-29-2006, 02:47 AM
WASTE!! No action its more like a love story!!

SAd im reallly shocked!!

Ending was horrible

Nappy Roots
07-29-2006, 02:49 AM
WASTE!! No action its more like a love story!!

SAd im reallly shocked!!

Ending was horrible

ill prolly be takin a squad member to this one anyways

Jt0323
07-29-2006, 02:52 AM
im probably goona see it also... i heard good and bad reviews...rottentomatoes have 50 something ppl liking it an 50 something hating it...ill tell you which side im on after watching it

dominizzo
07-29-2006, 02:54 AM
JT you will be hating it

Pennington's Rocket Arm
07-29-2006, 10:30 AM
wow they made a remake of miami vice?

Dors156
07-29-2006, 10:49 AM
wow thats suprising

Jaydog57
07-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Maybe they should have made it more like the show. A 1984 era movie with that era of styles and backgrounds, which was a very successful tv series. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:rolleyes:

saves
07-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Last movie I saw you said sucked I thought was great...so I'm going to have to go in the other direction on this one

305TillIDie
07-29-2006, 11:04 AM
im thinking this movie will be great..i have to see it first...

i will rent it on dvd when it comes out..just to see how it is

Caps
07-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Boy do I disagree. I saw the movie last night and I think it kicked ***. I'll keep this mostly spoiler free.

The movie is very, VERY grounded in reality, so no, there won't be 6 shootouts and 5 car chases, if that's what you're expecting. At the heart of the movie is what working undercover does to you. Crockett and Tubbs do not love their jobs. This isn't a Lethal Weapon-type buddy cop story. It's about two guys doing extremely dangerous work not because of any kind of vendetta or personal attatchment to the villians, but because it's their jobs. And most of the time, they hate it.

Speaking of villians, these guys don't fool around. There aren't any "I'm going to kill you Mr. Bond, but first let me explain my evil plot in full detail" scenes in here. If these guys get a bad vibe from you, they'll put one in the the back of your head just to be sure.

As I said before, the action scenes are saved for the end mostly. But dear god are they good. There aren't any throwaway kills like you'd see in the matrix or sin city. Every last kill in this movie delivers. Every single action scene delivers. And every scene in the movie(especially the boat scenes) is shot beautifully, thanks to Mann.

Again, I'll have to disagree with Dom on the ending too. It's not a hollywood happy ending, and not everything is completely resolved. But I loved that, that's how life is, and thats what this movie was going for.

My only gripes about the movie were:
1.The movie is a tad slow around the middle, it could have stood to lose 10-15 minutes in editing(I can't think of a movie that I haven't said that about this whole summer.)
2. If you're not completely paying full attention to the movie the entire time, you will get lost in it's intricate plot.
3. I could have used more Jamie Foxx and less Colin Farrell, because let's be honest, Foxx completely owns Farrell in terms of coolness and acting ability.

I strongly encourage you to see this movie and and at least make up your own mind about it. If you're a fan of Mann's work and understand that this is more Collateral than it is Desperado, I think you'll enjoy it.

I'll answer any questions you guys may have if you want.

Mephistopheles
07-29-2006, 12:06 PM
I'll check it out today.

Majpain
07-29-2006, 02:27 PM
It looked like crap.

TexasFish20
07-29-2006, 02:52 PM
I thought it looks cool from the trailer. I don't like Collin Farrell at all but Jamie Foxx makes up for it. I will try and see it. I loved HEAT!!!:cooldude:

Metal Panda
07-29-2006, 04:24 PM
a local community theatre equity performer and one of my best friends' friends was an extra in the movie, but he doesn't know if he made the final cut.

dQbell
07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Boy do I disagree. I saw the movie last night and I think it kicked ***. I'll keep this mostly spoiler free.

The movie is very, VERY grounded in reality, so no, there won't be 6 shootouts and 5 car chases, if that's what you're expecting. At the heart of the movie is what working undercover does to you. Crockett and Tubbs do not love their jobs. This isn't a Lethal Weapon-type buddy cop story. It's about two guys doing extremely dangerous work not because of any kind of vendetta or personal attatchment to the villians, but because it's their jobs. And most of the time, they hate it.

Speaking of villians, these guys don't fool around. There aren't any "I'm going to kill you Mr. Bond, but first let me explain my evil plot in full detail" scenes in here. If these guys get a bad vibe from you, they'll put one in the the back of your head just to be sure.

As I said before, the action scenes are saved for the end mostly. But dear god are they good. There aren't any throwaway kills like you'd see in the matrix or sin city. Every last kill in this movie delivers. Every single action scene delivers. And every scene in the movie(especially the boat scenes) is shot beautifully, thanks to Mann.

Again, I'll have to disagree with Dom on the ending too. It's not a hollywood happy ending, and not everything is completely resolved. But I loved that, that's how life is, and thats what this movie was going for.

1.The movie is a tad slow around the middle, it could have stood to lose 10-15 minutes in editing(I can't think of a movie that I haven't said that about this whole summer.)
2. If you're not completely paying full attention to the movie the entire time, you will get lost in it's intricate plot.
3. I could have used more Jamie Foxx and less Colin Farrell, because let's be honest, Foxx completely owns Farrell in terms of coolness and acting ability.

I strongly encourage you to see this movie and and at least make up your own mind about it. If you're a fan of Mann's work and understand that this is more Collateral than it is Desperado, I think you'll enjoy it.

I agree with your assessment. I think the movie was really good. My only gripe was Colin Farell playing Crockett. I thought his presence was terrible. I was kind of wondering how Foxx would do playing Tubbs, but I really think his character was more of a lead than Farell's. One other msall thing was I couldn't quite understand the talking at times, and that was frustrating because I was trying to follow the story.

Fresh
07-29-2006, 11:48 PM
I thought it was gonna be a classic, but I'm not really disappointed. I mean, the movie is a solid 7.5/10 to me. I was more surprised with Waist Deep - I thought it was gonna be stupid but I think it was very solid. They need to get Tyrese into more action roles, he's underrated as hell. I bet he would've done just as well in Miami Vice as Jamie Foxx.

Nappy Roots
07-29-2006, 11:50 PM
I thought it was gonna be a classic, but I'm not really disappointed. I mean, the movie is a solid 7.5/10 to me. I was more surprised with Waist Deep - I thought it was gonna be stupid but I think it was very solid. They need to get Tyrese into more action roles, he's underrated as hell. I bet he would've done just as well in Miami Vice as Jamie Foxx.

i agree Tyrese is a good actor, but Waist Deep was alright. I should of been alot better....1, that son, needed to go....2, better ending....if those 2 things changed, he would of been a pretty damn good movie IMO. but those 2 things drag it down alot...

dominizzo
07-30-2006, 04:34 AM
The Movie sucked

Caps
07-30-2006, 02:36 PM
The Movie sucked

You've said pretty much the same thing in 4 different posts man, don't hate on it for no reason. You've made your point, if you're not going to elaborate then move on.

Fresh
07-30-2006, 04:22 PM
i agree Tyrese is a good actor, but Waist Deep was alright. I should of been alot better....1, that son, needed to go....2, better ending....if those 2 things changed, he would of been a pretty damn good movie IMO. but those 2 things drag it down alot...
Agreed.

If I didn't hear Tyrese call him "son" I'd of thought it was his daughter.....

TheAnswer385
07-30-2006, 04:31 PM
woow what a flop this movie was!! No action at all long for nothing and a very bad ending!! Im really shocked in Micheal MAnn!!

I dont reccomend this film at all!!

Alot of people are dissapointed in then theatre!

Guys dont waste ur moneydont u down all the movies???

Nappy Roots
07-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Agreed.

If I didn't hear Tyrese call him "son" I'd of thought it was his daughter.....

:lol:

its funny, but its really true.

Metal Panda
07-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Michael Mann's "Heat" was an action movie that had long spells of time without action.

And it was great.

Fresh
07-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Michael Mann's "Heat" was an action movie that had long spells of time without action.

And it was great.
Great example, & I love that movie. De Niro & Pacino were perfect.

tucker
07-30-2006, 07:55 PM
this is the first person to say this movie sucks

dominizzo
07-30-2006, 09:56 PM
What happpened to the Drug lord at the end??

I guess PArt 2 is coming up

Nappy Roots
07-30-2006, 10:02 PM
What happpened to the Drug lord at the end??

I guess PArt 2 is coming up

damn dog, say something before you give details.

dominizzo
07-30-2006, 11:33 PM
damn dog, say something before you give details.

You Rule NAppy:tongue:

Maynard the Hammer
07-31-2006, 12:16 AM
You Rule NAppy:tongue:dom, you just told me you are a "movie buffer" :sidelol: love ya buddy

dominizzo
07-31-2006, 12:17 AM
Im a extreme movie Bufffer

Maynard the Hammer
07-31-2006, 12:19 AM
:lol:

MillerTime
07-31-2006, 12:22 AM
yea i didnt like it either

it was pretty borin n a little confusing in the beginning, the ending was pretty good though, but I definetly thought it would be better

dominizzo
07-31-2006, 12:25 AM
yea i didnt like it either

it was pretty borin n a little confusing in the beginning, the ending was pretty good though, but I definetly thought it would be better

Thank you Finally someone on my page

Metal Panda
07-31-2006, 12:40 AM
Just saw this tonight. *some spoilers below*

Dominizzo, you are 100%.........

WRONG.

Michael Mann has an unmistakable style. It's not always perfect, but it worked REALLY well in this movie.

I don't remember much about the TV show Miami Vice as I was growing up when it was on, but from what I remember, I hated it.

This movie was a gritty, dark look at undercover FBI work.

If you're looking for a movie where the undercover agents are hip, spout off cute one-liners before they shoot people, and has an uplifting ending, you're watching the wrong movie.

Michael Mann shows the gritty realities of life. Other movies, when they show people in clubs, they show people all dancing in open space having a good time. Mann shows a club packed to capacity with people, sweating and struggling to get a drink at the bar.

Mann's action scenes aren't freaking ballets like other action movies, where choreographed bodies fly all over the place and the audience takes it in and enjoys it. Michael Mann's violence is graphic and realistic, yet you don't watch it and go "wow, that was awesome". It is vile and revolting and makes you feel disgusted.

And moreso, Mann's movies give warts to the good guys, and humanize the bad guys (in this case he went more traditional and only really humanized the asian woman). I liked how Mann showed that FBI work caused Sonny to struggle to maintain a relationship and caused him to fall for a criminal because in his line of work, those are the only people he sees on a regular basis.

I like how Mann showed Rico as remorseful of the fact that he felt his career endangered his own family.

A dark, dirty look at undercover work. A very satisfying one at that.
Also, like Caps said, these guys didn't celebrate what they do. They have to because it's their job.

dominizzo
07-31-2006, 12:45 AM
Si still say it SUCKS ROB

Metal Panda
07-31-2006, 12:50 AM
Si still say it SUCKS ROB

does not

Motion
07-31-2006, 09:37 AM
I loved it. I heard alot of people complaining but I think they were expecting something different. It had a great feel to it and Michael Mann got his point across perfectly. He had said he wanted to show how deep undercover affected people's lives and the movie did just that.

Dom, what movie do you like? First the Da Vinci Code sucks, now Miami Vice? Could it be that you just didn't understand it? I think the main reason people are complaining about MV is because they didn't know what it was about beforehand.

Caps
07-31-2006, 10:35 AM
25.2 million dollars for the weekend, very good for an R-rated movie. It was the biggest opening weekend a Micheal Mann film has ever had.

CharlestonPhan
07-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Im a extreme movie Bufffer

:sidelol:

tucker
07-31-2006, 11:20 AM
saw it last nite..i was entertained..it was your typical mann movie...if you didnt like this its b/c you were expecting something more in the line of bad boys

dominizzo
07-31-2006, 12:49 PM
At allll!!! No action

Motion
07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
At allll!!! No action

:rolleyes: Yeah None at all. Only one of the most realistic gun fights I've ever seen.

PhinzN703
07-31-2006, 01:41 PM

I never base what I do b/c of someone's opinions. I respect Dominizzo's opinion, but it wont deter me the least bit. The previews make the movie look flippin hot, and with your great review, I can't wait to see it.

Collateral is one of my favorite movies

Mephistopheles
07-31-2006, 04:50 PM
saw it last nite..i was entertained..it was your typical mann movie...if you didnt like this its b/c you were expecting something more in the line of bad boys
Exactly, many people expected this movie to be like a Bad Boys III.

Shula Come Back!
07-31-2006, 04:51 PM
That sucks....the previews looked promising!

Caps
07-31-2006, 05:14 PM
That sucks....the previews looked promising!

Did you see it?

Metal Panda
07-31-2006, 09:24 PM
At allll!!! No action

Have you NEVER seen a Michael Mann movie before? He's more about atmosphere than constant action. And the funny thing is, sometimes his stories are fragmented, but they always work. This movie wasn't intellectual but it also wasn't dumbed down like every other American action movie that comes out these days, like godawful Michael Bay movies.

The only bummer to last night's movie? I was tired and I had to keep shifting around in my seat to stay awake.

The plot was a little quick for me, but it wasn't really the focal point--the characters were.

Metal Panda
07-31-2006, 09:24 PM
I loved it. I heard alot of people complaining but I think they were expecting something different. It had a great feel to it and Michael Mann got his point across perfectly. He had said he wanted to show how deep undercover affected people's lives and the movie did just that.

Dom, what movie do you like? First the Da Vinci Code sucks, now Miami Vice? Could it be that you just didn't understand it? I think the main reason people are complaining about MV is because they didn't know what it was about beforehand.

I think America was looking for some hipster cop movie where the undercovers have style and spout off oneliners, or come off like Dirty Harry.

Metal Panda
07-31-2006, 09:26 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah None at all. Only one of the most realistic gun fights I've ever seen.

which was BEAUTIFULLY done. Other than Foxx's brief rollover, there were none of your typical unrealistic dives/jumps out of the way of bulletfire.

Motion
08-01-2006, 09:32 AM
which was BEAUTIFULLY done. Other than Foxx's brief rollover, there were none of your typical unrealistic dives/jumps out of the way of bulletfire.

The sound is what did it for me, sooo realistic.

tucker
08-01-2006, 10:24 AM
the soundtrack to the movie didnt hurt it either

DolFan74
08-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Ill wait until its out on DVD like I do with all movies.Cant stand going to the theatre then have to get up during the movie to go to the restroom and miss some of the movie.Plus it saves me alot of money,especially when the movie happens to suck.

dominizzo
08-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Ill wait until its out on DVD like I do with all movies.Cant stand going to the theatre then have to get up during the movie to go to the restroom and miss some of the movie.Plus it saves me alot of money,especially when the movie happens to suck.

Wait till it comes on DVD

inFINSible
08-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Just saw this tonight. *some spoilers below*

Dominizzo, you are 100%.........

WRONG.

Michael Mann has an unmistakable style. It's not always perfect, but it worked REALLY well in this movie.

I don't remember much about the TV show Miami Vice as I was growing up when it was on, but from what I remember, I hated it.

This movie was a gritty, dark look at undercover FBI work.

If you're looking for a movie where the undercover agents are hip, spout off cute one-liners before they shoot people, and has an uplifting ending, you're watching the wrong movie.

Michael Mann shows the gritty realities of life. Other movies, when they show people in clubs, they show people all dancing in open space having a good time. Mann shows a club packed to capacity with people, sweating and struggling to get a drink at the bar.

Mann's action scenes aren't freaking ballets like other action movies, where choreographed bodies fly all over the place and the audience takes it in and enjoys it. Michael Mann's violence is graphic and realistic, yet you don't watch it and go "wow, that was awesome". It is vile and revolting and makes you feel disgusted.

And moreso, Mann's movies give warts to the good guys, and humanize the bad guys (in this case he went more traditional and only really humanized the asian woman). I liked how Mann showed that FBI work caused Sonny to struggle to maintain a relationship and caused him to fall for a criminal because in his line of work, those are the only people he sees on a regular basis.

I like how Mann showed Rico as remorseful of the fact that he felt his career endangered his own family.

A dark, dirty look at undercover work. A very satisfying one at that.
Also, like Caps said, these guys didn't celebrate what they do. They have to because it's their job.

Unfortunately, Miami Vice the TV show was a classic and if you're going to update the show with a movie, you don't throw out everything that made it unique and popular.

Did the Addam's Family visit Dr. Rey and become beautiful hollywood movie stars? Did the Brady Bunch move to the hood? Did Fred and Barney wear Armani suits?? NO!!

All Mann made was another detective movie that's been done a million times. He had a chance to continue a legacy, to expound on his ideas, to update a legend....and, he blew it.

Motion
08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Unfortunately, Miami Vice the TV show was a classic and if you're going to update the show with a movie, you don't throw out everything that made it unique and popular.

Did the Addam's Family visit Dr. Rey and become beautiful hollywood movie stars? Did the Brady Bunch move to the hood? Did Fred and Barney wear Armani suits?? NO!!

All Mann made was another detective movie that's been done a million times. He had a chance to continue a legacy, to expound on his ideas, to update a legend....and, he blew it.

I agree, that the TV show was a classic. One of my all-time favorite shows. But I think the problem is too many people are trying to link the movie and show together. Most people instantly think of the 80s when you hear Miami Vice, but that has nothing to do with the TV show it was just the current time. Mann was quoted as saying he wanted to bring out his true ideas for Miami Vice in the movie because he wasn't limited by TV regulations. They both had the same general idea behind them, showing how people's lives are affected by being deep undercover. I really don't think he was trying to "continue" anything.

inFINSible
08-01-2006, 04:23 PM
If he was going to do it differently, he should have called it something else to eliminate expectations from people who were ready to see "Miami Vice"......not Rush....or Deep Cover.....JMHO.

Shula Come Back!
08-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Did you see it?

no, just the previews and it looks like its gonna stay that way:lol::lol::lol:
Maybe I'll at least give it a rental try when it comes out!

Caps
08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
no, just the previews and it looks like its gonna stay that way:lol::lol::lol:
Maybe I'll at least give it a rental try when it comes out!

If you honestly feel that way thats fine, but don't let anyone's opinion, including mine, influence whether or not you'll see the film.

Shula Come Back!
08-01-2006, 05:58 PM
If you honestly feel that way thats fine, but don't let anyone's opinion, including mine, influence whether or not you'll see the film.

That's cool...I usually wait until video anyway....looks like it may come quicker now too!!!:lol:

Shula Come Back!
08-01-2006, 06:00 PM

Oh, you liked the move....sorry, didn't read your first post. I thought everyone was trashing it... When I do happen to see it, I will post back and give you an honest opinion. I may like it more than everyone else because my expectations will be lowered or maybe I'll just like it after all!

Metal Panda
08-01-2006, 11:07 PM

I don't agree whatsoever. Tell me exactly what made this movie a run of the mill detective movie, being that most cop action movies that come out nowadays are glitzy with one liners and explosions and car chases, NONE of which were in Mann's film? There was maybe 20 seconds of a car chase that ended piecefully, no one liners, one explosion that was realistically done....and a realistic gunfight at the end.

How many recent detective movies have had such a dark, gritty vibe, one that made you feel filthy, not excited....that even when the good guys

*SPOILERS*

won in the end, it wasn't anything worth celebrating, and they didn't look all that enthused. I think your criticism is unfounded, and I'd really like you to name some recent movies that Miami Vice resembled, because I can't think of many recent cop movies that MANN didn't make that fit that bill.

Besides, being that Michael Mann was an executive producer of the TV show, he can do whatever the hell he wants with the movie.

Metal Panda
08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
If he was going to do it differently, he should have called it something else to eliminate expectations from people who were ready to see "Miami Vice"......not Rush....or Deep Cover.....JMHO.

TV shows get makeovers all the time on the big screen. Frankly I don't see what the big deal is. And it's usually somewhat expected, or else what is the point of putting it on the big screen if you're just going to recreate the television show?

CharlestonPhan
08-02-2006, 01:03 AM
saw it tonite... thought it was pretty good. not the best movie ever, but worth my time. Foxx and Farrell (who i personally dont like) both played the parts well.

if you are looking for lots of action, car chases and the like, you might be disappointed. if you are looking for a Philip Michael Thomas and Don Johnson rehash, this aint it.

but there are some good shootouts, and the violence, when necessary, is matter of fact, and realistic.

Mann uses subtlety well also, making his point without driving home the obvious... but they couldve edited some of the Farrell/chick scenes for that very reason. they just seemed like filler. other than that i enjoyed it.

Motion
08-02-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't agree whatsoever. Tell me exactly what made this movie a run of the mill detective movie, being that most cop action movies that come out nowadays are glitzy with one liners and explosions and car chases, NONE of which were in Mann's film? There was maybe 20 seconds of a car chase that ended piecefully, no one liners, one explosion that was realistically done....and a realistic gunfight at the end.

How many recent detective movies have had such a dark, gritty vibe, one that made you feel filthy, not excited....that even when the good guys

*SPOILERS*

won in the end, it wasn't anything worth celebrating, and they didn't look all that enthused. I think your criticism is unfounded, and I'd really like you to name some recent movies that Miami Vice resembled, because I can't think of many recent cop movies that MANN didn't make that fit that bill.

Besides, being that Michael Mann was an executive producer of the TV show, he can do whatever the hell he wants with the movie.

:yes: :clap: Couldn't agree more.

Metal Panda
08-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Read my friend's review here from End of Media:

http://www.endofmedia.com/?p=53

Caps
08-02-2006, 09:07 PM
I saw it for the second time today and I have to say, the film holds up very well on repeated viewings. I enjoyed it even more the second time because I knew where the plot was going and I could focus more on the nuances of the performances, the detail in the shootouts, etc.

NaboCane
08-02-2006, 09:14 PM

Plus, at home if anybody says a peep during dialogue I can pop 'em one without getting arrested, like that time at the Miracle...

inFINSible
08-03-2006, 06:46 AM

*SPOILERS*

Exactly, and he blew it, imo.

He kept all the "Vice" and got rid of the "Miami"

I've already made my opinion clear, but it sounds like you're a big fan of gritty cop dramas that "make you feel dirty" so, be happy.....just don't claim that this movie has anything to do with Maimi Vice, the TV show, because it doesn't.

As a movie fan who wanted to see "Miami Vice", I was extremely dissappointed.

tucker
08-03-2006, 10:11 AM
he said he didnt want to show "miami" b/c that when the tv show first started it was new and south bech was something pple hadnt seen before..with this one he said he could go away from south beach and focus on the slums of miami

Metal Panda
08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Exactly, and he blew it, imo.

He kept all the "Vice" and got rid of the "Miami"

I've already made my opinion clear, but it sounds like you're a big fan of gritty cop dramas that "make you feel dirty" so, be happy.....just don't claim that this movie has anything to do with Maimi Vice, the TV show, because it doesn't.

As a movie fan who wanted to see "Miami Vice", I was extremely dissappointed.

Just because the movie took place largely outside of Miami doesn't mean it never took place there. At least half the movie was in Miami. The cinematography was great as well, with the documentary style camerawork. The atmosphere and tension were there throughout, even when nothing was happening.

Some of the best tv-show to movie movies, as Roeper put it in his Vice review, were those that got reinvented in some way shape or form. Look at The Fugitive. They completely turned that one on its head and it was entertaining.

Seems to me you're not critiquing the movie as a stand alone movie, just that it was "different" than the show. The only comment I've heard you supply other than "IT WASN'T THE TV SHOW" is that it was just another undercover cop movie. And I don't think it was.

No one's saying "Miami Vice" is high end art. It isn't...a cop film is a cop film. But I feel it has destroyed any crime drama to come out in recent years, for the most part.

Metal Panda
08-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Just saw it a third time. I'm at the max now, can't see it any more. But I really enjoyed it the most this time.

Why?

Simple...it's Monday, I took today off, and I went to a matinee at this old beat up theatre that I used to go to when I was a kid.

Result: Only person in the theatre. NOBODY to distract me.

Now some movies are more fun with a crowd, like comedies, but I can't tell you how much easier it is to take in a movie like this without outside distraction.

My friend's friend, whom I said we weren't sure if he made the final cut or not...he did. The white supremacist's partner (unnamed, had about two lines) whom had military-esque hair and got killed in the last shootout....that was him!

Caps
08-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Just saw it a third time. I'm at the max now, can't see it any more. But I really enjoyed it the most this time.

I agree, I enjoyed this movie more on repeat viewings than I did the first time around. I saw it a second time last wednesday and everything seemed to "click" for me moreso than it did when I saw it on opening night.

Metal Panda
08-12-2006, 04:12 PM
I agree, I enjoyed this movie more on repeat viewings than I did the first time around. I saw it a second time last wednesday and everything seemed to "click" for me moreso than it did when I saw it on opening night.

yup. there were two pieces I didn't quite grasp (mostly due to fatigue) that finally clicked on time #3.

I have season 1 of Miami Vice (I bought it and realized I do NOT hate it at all, it is actually entertaining, despite being rather devoid of substance), and ya know, they are different beasts but not completely removed. While one is more "fluff" (the show that is), they do examine the hardships of undercover work.

I wish they'd make The Golden Triangle 2-part episode into a movie though :).

Uncle Rico II
12-21-2006, 08:24 PM
I just rented this movie. I made it through 1:18:00 and turned it off. For 2 reasons: 1. Had guests come over. 2. I was really bored with it.

Should I go back and press play? Over an hour and absolutely NOTHING is happening! We had a blizzard here in colorado and I think going out to shovel might be more action packed than this. What should I do?

Roman529
12-21-2006, 08:30 PM
I just rented this movie. I made it through 1:18:00 and turned it off. For 2 reasons: 1. Had guests come over. 2. I was really bored with it.

Should I go back and press play? Over an hour and absolutely NOTHING is happening! We had a blizzard here in colorado and I think going out to shovel might be more action packed than this. What should I do?

Hey Rico...and fellow Colorado Springs' FH'er....I am just sipping hot chocolate and done with shoveling, but the videos I am watching are a bit racier. :wink:

Uncle Rico II
12-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey Rico...and fellow Colorado Springs' FH'er....I am just sipping hot chocolate and done with shoveling, but the videos I am watching are a bit racier. :wink:

You must be watching A Christmas Story. That is racier than Miami Vice. I got a huge snow drift in my driveway that will take a couple of hours to shovel. I'll wait until tomorrow to do it though. The stores will be packed this weekend since no one could shop the last 2 days. I love colorado, but damn!

Metal Panda
12-21-2006, 10:46 PM

Who ever billed it as action packed? Have you ever seen a Michael Mann film before? Typically his action is normally confined to the end of his movies.

Miami Vice is more drama than action movie.

Hell, even the television show wasn't really action packed, it usually came in spurts.

I thought the movie was entertaining as hell, much moreso than the bs "Bad Boys"-esque movies. I really liked how deep they took the viewer into the mind of the undercover cop. one of my favorite movies of the year.