PDA

View Full Version : Best Runningback of All time

phinphan896
07-29-2006, 11:38 AM
I personally think Barry Sanders i the best ever.

jbyrd423
07-29-2006, 04:29 PM
sweetness all the way

Alex44
07-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Its Barry Sanders and its not even close. If he didnt retire early he might be up over 20,000 yards

unifiedtheory
07-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Walter Payton.

ih8brady
07-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Jim Brown, had the strength, vision and speed you need in a RB. He was like a train out there. The Dan Marino of RBs.

Nappy Roots
07-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Jim Brown

Dors156
07-29-2006, 08:06 PM
walter payton hands down

Straztheman
07-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Walter Payton he had both quikness and power. He was great. however I also think if Gale sayars would have had a longer carrerr he could have been mentioned on this list.

phinfanfrommd
07-29-2006, 09:23 PM
way to difficult

brown was an early reggie bush, my grandfather had old vhs nfl films of him. he was so much better than defenders during his day. payton is the greatest number wise. barry i think would be the best in every category had he not given so much respect to the payton fam.

ganooch
07-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Walter Payton

He could run, catch, and block. (awesome at all three)

most of his career he did not have a good offense around him.

the best I ever saw.

A&O
07-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Barry Sanders

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Nappy Roots
07-29-2006, 09:54 PM
i personally cant see how anyone can say Barry is the greatest ever. specially over Jim Brown.

Barry did what?

He was a great back, but all the argument Barry people ever got is, if he would of played longer...

Look at the #s, if Jim Brown would of played longer he would of been untouchable. He averaged more YPC than barry. He averaged over 100 yards per game, unlike barry, he had more TDs in ALOT less games played...Brown played in a era where they played 12 games and then 14 games...

theres no argument here.

Dolfan984
07-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Sweetness, but IMO you can pick anyone but Emmitt and have a good point. :)

GoBills24
07-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Sweetness, but IMO you can pick anyone but Emmitt and have a good point. :)

So being the NFL's all-time leading rusher isn't a good point?

Walter Payton.

phinphan896
07-29-2006, 11:03 PM
What i love about Barry Sanders is that he could run back and forth across the field and make every defender look like a fool. Jim Brown would just run over people. Walter Payton was amazing to but what Barry did i have never seen anyone else do. He could fake out the whole and run for a long touchdown any given play.

Nappy Roots
07-29-2006, 11:09 PM
What i love about Barry Sanders is that he could run back and forth across the field and make every defender look like a fool. Jim Brown would just run over people. Walter Payton was amazing to but what Barry did i have never seen anyone else do. He could fake out the whole and run for a long touchdown any given play.

he could do all that and yet still averaged less then brown in every category. Brown had speed and moves to go with power, dont mistake that.

CDNPHIN
07-30-2006, 07:16 AM
SWEETNESS! Hands down...

finmann
07-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Barry all the way.

Metal Panda
07-30-2006, 09:57 AM

Walter Payton.

Emmitt got it through longevity. If Vinnie Testaverde plays 35 years, he'll probably eclipse Marino's yardage record too.

MARINO1384
07-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Its Barry Sanders and its not even close. If he didnt retire early he might be up over 20,000 yards

you put him on Emmits cowboys team wwith that line and he gets 25,000

phinphan896
07-30-2006, 11:38 AM

Walter Payton.
actually emitt smith is which is the only reason i had to put him up there, unfortunately

dominizzo
07-30-2006, 03:45 PM
They CAll Him Sweetnessssssssssssss

Superself
08-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Jim Brown was the greatest ever.

@@@
08-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Barry Sanders may have been the best to watch but if he was really the best back ever why was he taken out inside the 10? I'd say Jim Brown

Springveldt
08-01-2006, 10:56 AM
i personally cant see how anyone can say Barry is the greatest ever. specially over Jim Brown.
Barry did what?
He was a great back, but all the argument Barry people ever got is, if he would of played longer...
Look at the #s, if Jim Brown would of played longer he would of been untouchable. He averaged more YPC than barry. He averaged over 100 yards per game, unlike barry, he had more TDs in ALOT less games played...Brown played in a era where they played 12 games and then 14 games...
theres no argument here.
You haven't mentioned the size and speed difference in the defenders Brown and Sanders faced, don't overlook that. NFL defences (sorry showing my Britishness here :) ) in Brown's era where nowhere near the size and speed they were when Sanders was running.
Personally I think Sanders is the best RB of all time, with Brown right behind him. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a Lambourgini, both are brilliant.
On the argument of if they had played longer then the one name that springs straight to mind is Bo Jackson. If he had committed full time to football then I think this dicussion of the greatest RB ever would have be pretty redundant.

Nappy Roots
08-01-2006, 11:04 AM
You haven't mentioned the size and speed difference in the defenders Brown and Sanders faced, don't overlook that. NFL defences (sorry showing my Britishness here :) ) in Brown's era where nowhere near the size and speed they were when Sanders was running.
Personally I think Sanders is the best RB of all time, with Brown right behind him. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a Lambourgini, both are brilliant.
On the argument of if they had played longer then the one name that springs straight to mind is Bo Jackson. If he had committed full time to football then I think this dicussion of the greatest RB ever would have be pretty redundant.

Definitely agree with your Bo Jackson accessment.

Fact is though, everyone in football in Browns era was smaller, which makes it that much more impressive he was so damn big, strong, and fast in that era.

Motion
08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Barry Sanders or Walter Payton

dominizzo
08-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Barry Sanders or Walter Payton

At all Motion!!

Sweetness

burger13
08-01-2006, 02:07 PM
I voted for Barry.........I think that it's individual preference and that can be all timing. When I was growing up, there was absolutely nothing as exciting about the game of football than watching Barry Sanders run.

and

WOW!! 54 votes in and not a single 1 for Emmit Smith???

Superself
08-01-2006, 02:15 PM
I voted for Barry.........I think that it's individual preference and that can be all timing. When I was growing up, there was absolutely nothing as exciting about the game of football than watching Barry Sanders run.
and

WOW!! 54 votes in and not a single 1 for Emmit Smith???

I agree, when he did one of those highlight reel runs....nobody was better.
However in between those types of runs were a huge pile of run for losses. He was the definition of feast or famine type back.

Springveldt
08-02-2006, 05:22 AM
Fact is though, everyone in football in Browns era was smaller, which makes it that much more impressive he was so damn big, strong, and fast in that era.
Brown was just a freak of nature for his time but the guys in the NFL have gotten bigger, stronger and faster since his time. There's no doubt if Jim Brown was running today he would still be successful but would he look as good as he did then? That's why it is so hard judging players from different era's, with modern science (mainly the understanding of nutrition and drugs) turning a lot of guys into what can only be described as science projects (guys like Merryman spring to mind, 280lb linebacker that can run like a deer) it is not fair to compare guys who played 30-40 years apart.
I doubt the Jim Brown that ran in the 50's would look anywhere near as good against modern NFL defences but if he had access to all the "supplements" that players have nowadays then with his genetic gifts he probably could still look like a hall of fame RB but its all hypothetical.

playmaker1
08-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Well numbers wise, and accomplishments I'd say Emmit. But because I was a fan and loved to watch him play. I went with Barry.

I understand you guys looking at the overall numbers. And with Brown and with Barry, it is easy to say the "what ifs?". But I think you need to look at the teams they were on. Barry was the Lions for years. Every down, D's knew he was going to get the ball, and they still couldn't stop him. I hated the day he retired. And I almost pee'd myself when all those rumors a few years back came out that he was thinking about coming back to football to play for the Dolplins. Emmit had so much help, I think it is hard to say "best RB", they line they had in the 90's some of us coulda run for big yards... well no me but some of you.

I do like watching old Browns games on ESPN Classic just to see J. Brown truck people though. He would have open field, or a DB, and he'd run over the DB. Wish he woulda stayed playing few more years, because I don't think he's that great of an actor.