PDA

View Full Version : What Anti Virus do you use?

Alex44
07-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Trying to decide which is the best discuss

Kdawg954
07-29-2006, 09:19 PM
mcafee, subscription free with AOL, its good, no viruses yet.

Dors156
07-29-2006, 09:19 PM
norton

lazareth
07-29-2006, 09:26 PM
i have mcafee at work (because of the company)
i have it at home because it came preinstalled from dell

one of my computers ran out on its subscription but i chose to use a free antivirus instead, i went with avast! and so far no problems...knock on wood

i pretty much dislike most antivirus programs...they can be as bad, annoying as the viruses they are intended to protect you from

unfortunately they are a necessary evil these days

Majpain
07-29-2006, 09:28 PM
avg I guess.

guatemalanfan
07-29-2006, 09:49 PM
mcafee. is the best i have had .

King Felix
07-29-2006, 10:03 PM
well norton didnt stop a trojan..........

305TillIDie
07-29-2006, 10:15 PM
mcafee i have

and i really think they are the best..i have comcast internet so mcafee comes with it

Fin Fan in Cali
07-29-2006, 10:18 PM
well norton didnt stop a trojan..........Did you have the norton anti virus dis-engaged? Was it updated lately? I ask because mine has stopped several Trojan viruses.

A Wing Pilot
07-30-2006, 09:45 AM
I refuse Symantec (Norton) as virii writers have written virii to specifically disable it, It takes WAY to much resources, and is only middle of the pack. I prefer Avast! (http://www.avast.com) Its free, just register and they send you a code for a yaer, when it expires just renew, nothing shady about it. Works very well, Less resources, and I have deployed it at home and across a professional enviornment (Corp licenses cost $) By far my favorite virii tool out there.

FIN-IN-RI
07-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Avg

byroan
07-30-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't like Norton or Mcafee. AVG is good. I'm using Trend Micro.

cnc66
07-30-2006, 10:06 AM
okay...9 days ago a virus got in my machine. I have Stop Sign. It froze things up so I couldn't even engage a scan. I went into system recovery(I SHOULD have done a restore) I thought I was ok. Couple of days later, I click on a link here to Buffalo Range and things went nutz. 160 infected files later..6 or 7 different viruses and at least that many spy-wares. After fighting with these for half a day i reduced them to just a couple.

Stop Sign wrote me a fix. I installed it, it crashed my DSL. I had to back up two days and do a system restore. THAT got my dsl back. There is more to this..passwords that wouldn't work, mail that would not reset, lots of telephone time to "help" centers. I finally managed to get through to stop Sign, and they promise me a new patch to take care of what has become my nemesis..Trojan Qoologic. It will not go away. I follows me through restore and recovery.

I had just about given up hope and was burning everything important to cd so I could dump my entire program and reinstall everything with my recovery dvd's whan they sent me a promise of help. I am now awaiting this "fix". I have never been so frustrated with my machine. Perhaps if I wasn't so inept, it wouldn't be so bad, but i really don't understand most of the prompts I get requesting a choice. It took me a couple of days and some help but I managed to figure out how to save "my favorites"...anyone know how to save all my e-maill addy's? or is that on my mail server, bellsouth? Sooo, reading this mess, do any of you have any suggestions that don't include throwing the damned thing into the river? Josh, do you think Avast would help me? and I agree with the Norton/Symantic mess..they make it too difficult for me... any thought's would be most welcome.

Roman529
07-30-2006, 12:12 PM
I had McAfee and Norton....I have not used any virus protection in many months and not problems. I think if you stay away from downloading a lot of crap you don't have to worry about viruses.

TJamesW_phinfan
07-30-2006, 12:13 PM
okay...9 days ago a virus got in my machine. I have Stop Sign. It froze things up so I couldn't even engage a scan. I went into system recovery(I SHOULD have done a restore) I thought I was ok. Couple of days later, I click on a link here to Buffalo Range and things went nutz. 160 infected files later..6 or 7 different viruses and at least that many spy-wares. After fighting with these for half a day i reduced them to just a couple.

Stop Sign wrote me a fix. I installed it, it crashed my DSL. I had to back up two days and do a system restore. THAT got my dsl back. There is more to this..passwords that wouldn't work, mail that would not reset, lots of telephone time to "help" centers. I finally managed to get through to stop Sign, and they promise me a new patch to take care of what has become my nemesis..Trojan Qoologic. It will not go away. I follows me through restore and recovery.

I had just about given up hope and was burning everything important to cd so I could dump my entire program and reinstall everything with my recovery dvd's whan they sent me a promise of help. I am now awaiting this "fix". I have never been so frustrated with my machine. Perhaps if I wasn't so inept, it wouldn't be so bad, but i really don't understand most of the prompts I get requesting a choice. It took me a couple of days and some help but I managed to figure out how to save "my favorites"...anyone know how to save all my e-maill addy's? or is that on my mail server, bellsouth? Sooo, reading this mess, do any of you have any suggestions that don't include throwing the damned thing into the river? Darin, do you think Avast would help me? and I agree with the Norton/Symantic mess..they make it too difficult for me... any thought's would be most welcome.

If you use Outlook express as your mail client open your address book then go to file then export choose .wab or .csv (coma separated values) the latter is more compatible with other clients. If you use another client it should have similar options for saving or exporting your address book.

It sounds like you have a bug that is embedding itself in your boot sector or deep in your registry where the restore won’t get to it. It regenerates itself on reboot. You can try booting in safe mode to try to clean your registry but that can get complex and can cause damage to your op sys install if you delete the wrong thing.

I had a similar experience with aurora a couple of years ago. I ended up doing a clean install and have been using Norton’s security suite ever since. It has caught a few bugs trying to sneak in and I have been happy with it. I am not happy with the renewal fee as I think it is a bit high compared to the street price of the app. But I am a cheapskate. :)

I may try Avast but will probably bite the bullet and renew my Norton’s. It does use a bit of resources and can be a hassle at times but my system is pretty hardy and I schedule the scans when I am not going to be on the system. Norton has earned my trust over the past two years. I was using AVG and Adaware when Aurora invaded my system along with a bug that disabled booting in safe mode so I could not clean the registry.

A clean install is a good thing to do occasionally anyway but can be a hassle backing up all your apps and data and the infection can hide in your backed up data.

I have a buddy that is in the IT department at Pratt & Whitney and has a masters in IT. He has four systems running in his home and uses Norton on all but the Linux box. I can't remember what he uses on the Linux system.

Alex44 truth is no app is going to be 100% fool proof. It is an ongoing war between developers and hackers. Any of the apps listed in this thread can work for you. You just need to decide which is best for you based on price and ease of use.

Good luck with finding a fix for your system cnc.

Jt0323
07-30-2006, 12:22 PM
i need to update my anti virus agian... my subscription ran out...

#1 Fan
07-30-2006, 02:04 PM
i rather have a virus on my computer than use norton.

AVG all the way. it's free, doesn't use many resources, and it scans the cpu and updates itself automatically. couldn't ask for anything more.

i have mcafee w/ comcast, but i uninstalled it because AVG is so good.

unifiedtheory
07-30-2006, 02:19 PM
I've used AVG for 4 years and I've never had a virus.

*knocks on wood*

Maynard the Hammer
07-30-2006, 02:31 PM
zone alarm

Muck
07-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Trend. They've been doing it a long time. Home and server side. Darn good and system friendly. Trend is at the top when it comes to dealing for new threats.

Not a fan of Symantec/Norton or McAfee. Each year they become more bloated and convoluted.

As for free AV, I like AVG.

dominizzo
07-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Norton Anti Virus

TotoreMexico
07-30-2006, 10:23 PM
I use this one::goof:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Jimmy James
07-30-2006, 10:27 PM
I currently use Symantec on my notebook because that's what the University of Richmond required and supplied to all students. My subscription should expire on August 1 or some time soon after that. I have no complaints.

I currently use McAfee on my desktop because Symantec is expensive and Comcast offers free McAfee antivirus. I also have no complaints. I'll be going that way with my notebook soon enough, too.

phinmania
07-31-2006, 03:16 AM
avg for sure

Alex44
07-31-2006, 03:53 AM
What if I got every single anti-virus program? :lol:

@@@
07-31-2006, 04:18 AM
Have Symantec at work and AVG at home, have had Mcafee in the past and was a complete liability might give Avasti a try soon though