PDA

View Full Version : What In Your Opinion Makes A Good Song

dreday
07-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Since there are so many music fans on here, what do you interpret to be a good or great song?Is it the beat?The lyrics?A combination of both?Just the artist?Also since rock and heavy metal is basically unchartered territories for me what are you looking for?Just curious

Nappy Roots
07-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Since there are so many music fans on here, what do you interpret to be a good or great song?Is it the beat?The lyrics?A combination of both?Just the artist?Also since rock and heavy metal is basically unchartered territories for me what are you looking for?Just curious

for me a good song is a good beat/good flow/average lyrics(no dumb ****) or good beat/average flow/good lyrics or average beat/good flow/good lyrics...

a great song is all 3 good or great. i dont think it can be a good rap song without atleast an average beat, average flow, or average lyrics...if any 3 is below its not possible to be good. a bad beat with great lyrics doesnt make it a good song IMO. a good beat but horrible flow...ugh..unlistenable...not a good song..

Fin Fan in Cali
07-29-2006, 10:27 PM
I listen to every thing from Blues, Jazz, Rock, and Metal. I say vocals, the band being tight. By that I mean you get a vibe or great feeling off of the energy they are putting out. Other times it could be the incredible musicians, such as watching Stevie Ray Vaughan play on a DVD that I have seen over and over again, but every time I put it on, I am still amazed at the talents that he brought to the stage.:wink:

Fin Fan in Cali
07-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Good thread by the way bro!:wink:

d-day
07-29-2006, 10:28 PM

to me, great music = sex, so there has to be tension - i like a song that builds through tension and has a big payoff at the end -

perfect example: beautiful ones by prince - starts off very understated with a delicate vocal line and very subtle keyboards parts - the song builds, there is more layering with the keyboard parts - tension keeps building... and then the big "do you want him or do you want me" part - prince starts belting out his feelings for the very hot apollonia, guitar parts come in, lots of keyboard accompaniments, he starts screaming - and then there is a musical climax: the resolution and the song comes to a close...

:whew: i need a room...

Fin Fan in Cali
07-29-2006, 10:30 PM
to me, great music = sex, so there has to be tension - i like a song that builds through tension and has a big payoff at the end -

perfect example: beautiful ones by prince - starts off very understated with a delicate vocal line and very subtle keyboards parts - the song builds, there is more layering with the keyboard parts - tension keeps building... and then the big "do you want him or do you want me" part - prince starts belting out his feelings for the very hot apollonia, guitar parts come in, lots of keyboard accompaniments, he starts screaming - and then there is a musical climax: the resolution and the song comes to a close...

</IMG>:sidelol: :rolleyes:

dreday
07-29-2006, 10:30 PM
I listen to every thing from Blues, Jazz, Rock, and Metal. I say vocals, the band being tight. By that I mean you get a vibe or great feeling off of the energy they are putting out. Other times it could be the incredible musicians, such as watching Stevie Ray Vaughan play on a DVD that I have seen over and over again, but every time I put it on, I am still amazed at the talents that he brought to the stage.:wink:
Dont get me wrong..I do have a wide range of music that I listen too.Ive heard some of the Stevie Ray jazzier stuff.I must say very talented musician for sure.

TitansFanatic
07-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Frankly, I like different songs for different reasons. I might like one song because of the beat, another for a sweet intro, another for the lyrics, another because it reminds me of a good memory...it depends.

dreday
07-29-2006, 10:32 PM

:lol: How did I guess to expect this from d-day?

Fin Fan in Cali
07-29-2006, 10:32 PM

:whew: i need a room...I met Apollonia once in Hollywood may years ago. She was introduced in person to me. Very nice.

d-day
07-29-2006, 10:33 PM
I met Apollonia once in Hollywood may years ago. She was introduced in person to me. Very nice.

i married my first wife because i thought she was a spitting image of apollonia... :lol:

dreday
07-29-2006, 10:34 PM
i married my first wife because i thought she was a spitting image of apollonia... :lol:
Appolonia=Nina Mercedes...You know who im talkin about:lol: :D

Fin Fan in Cali
07-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Dont get me wrong..I do have a wide range of music that I listen too.Ive heard some of the Stevie Ray jazzier stuff.I must say very talented musician for sure.Bro my days in the Marine Corps, I have listen to it all. Lots of Stories, and played a lot of Bones as well. If you get a chance check out SRV on dvd, you will be amazed. Lots of the great guitar players say they could play like Stevie for 15-20 minutes and there hands hurt. It's very sad that he is gone, but his music lives on.

d-day
some songs are just perfect - you can't explain why - they just are...

lovely day by bill withers is a perfect song to me

Fin Fan in Cali
Frankly, I like different songs for different reasons. I might like one song because of the beat, another for a sweet intro, another for the lyrics, another because it reminds me of a good memory...it depends.Good point! Music can have great memories, or bring sadness as well. It is funny, sometimes the people in your life change, but there is always the music there with you to live the past or the future.

A&O
07-29-2006, 10:39 PM
The good song has to sound tight. The bass and drums must be in the pocket. A solid riff from the guitar or keys (or both), some killer harmonic vocals in the backdrop and a singer willing to give up his soul in each lyrical word. The chemistry of members of the group are what it's all about- a single unified sound in every song performed. That's rare! And that's what makes a good song(s) happen. IMO.

TitansFanatic
07-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Good point! Music can have great memories, or bring saddness as well. It is funny, sometimes the people in your life change, but there is always the music there with you to live the past or the future. Yup. I can't listen to Tim McGraw's Can't Be Really Gone cause it came out right around the time my third cousin (and good friend)'s mom died back when we were in middle school.

And driving to my apartment this afternoon I couldn't help but "sing" along to 50 Cent's "In Da Club" cause, dang it, I like it!

d-day
07-29-2006, 10:44 PM
:lol: How did I guess to expect this from d-day?

:chuckle: i thought you were going to post it first brother... :wink:

lazareth
07-29-2006, 10:47 PM
more cowbell :escape:

<shrug> well somebody had to...

Fin Fan in Cali
07-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Yup. I can't listen to Tim McGraw's Can't Be Really Gone cause it came out right around the time my third cousin (and good friend)'s mom died back when we were in middle school.

And driving to my apartment this afternoon I couldn't help but "sing" along to 50 Cent's "In Da Club" cause, dang it, I like it!There are certain songs that come on that really hit a nerve that were part of my life when I came back from Desert Storm, and went through a divorce. Some represented strength and things getting better, and others bring out the pain I went through.:wink:

TitansFanatic
There are certain songs that come on that really hit a nerve that were part of my life when I came back from Desert Storm, and went through a divorce. Some represented strength and things getting better, and others bring out the pain I went through.:wink:

After one of my favorite teams loses, I'm likely to blast some Killswitch Engage, Lamb Of God, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold, etc. :D

dreday
:chuckle: i thought you were going to post it first brother... :wink:
My 5000the post party in the ladies lounge is coming up.W'ell be at the Mustang Ranch:wink: :D :lol:

Fin Fan in Cali
07-29-2006, 10:52 PM
After one of my favorite teams loses, I'm likely to blast some Killswitch Engage, Lamb Of God, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold, etc. :DI usually crank up the tunes in pre-game mode, halftime, and during commercials sometimes. :wink:

TitansFanatic
07-29-2006, 10:55 PM
I usually crank up the tunes in pre-game mode, halftime, and during commercials sometimes. :wink: I usually go for hip-hop/rap pre-game.

Three Six Mafia, Trillville, DMX...

dreday
07-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Bro my days in the Marine Corps, I have listen to it all. Lots of Stories, and played a lot of Bones as well. If you get a chance check out SRV on dvd, you will be amazed. Lots of the great guitar players say they could play like Stevie for 15-20 minutes and there hands hurt. It's very sad that he is gone, but his music lives on.
So many of the greats have passed unfortunately.Bones ah the memories.I was Navy so yes that and spades:D Anyways Im not sure what you mean by SRV

TitansFanatic
So many of the greats have passed unfortunately.Bones ah the memories.I was Navy so yes that and spades:D Anyways Im not sure what you mean by SRV

I may be wrong but I think SRV= Stevie Ray Vaughn?

Nappy Roots
I usually go for hip-hop/rap pre-game.

Three Six Mafia, Trillville, DMX...

nice...that lil scrappy CD will get you crunk thats for sure. we listened to that CD before every game my senior year

d-day
07-29-2006, 10:58 PM
There are certain songs that come on that really hit a nerve that were part of my life when I came back from Desert Storm, and went through a divorce. Some represented strength and things getting better, and others bring out the pain I went through.:wink:

good point, ffic - what's going on in the world can be a catalyst for a great song - example: the vietnam war

jimi hendrix - machine gun
marvin gaye - what's going on and mercy, mercy me

and definitely personal experiences

i know when i went through my divorce, jar of flies by alice in chains was on my cd player everyday - it's amazing how listening to a specific song can bring you right back to a specific moment in your life - i can visually picture everything i saw, and the smells and the general overall state of mind i was in... good music is magic

TitansFanatic
07-29-2006, 11:00 PM
nice...that lil scrappy CD will get you crunk thats for sure. we listened to that CD before every game my senior year

Yup! I especially like cranking up FILA before a Braves' game.:cooldude:

Nappy Roots
07-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Yup! I especially like cranking up FILA before a Braves' game.:cooldude:

:lol:

PHINATIC13
07-29-2006, 11:11 PM
There is no "formula" for a great song,it's just something that happens imo.If there was we'd all be rock stars.

Fin Fan in Cali
07-29-2006, 11:35 PM
So many of the greats have passed unfortunately.Bones ah the memories.I was Navy so yes that and spades:D Anyways Im not sure what you mean by SRVBro if we ever meet you on for Bones, and Spades bro. SRV is Stevie Ray Vaughan. I used to play doubles at lunch in Spades.:wink: Navy it's all good.:wink:

Fin Fan in Cali
07-29-2006, 11:38 PM
One of my best care pakages I got was from my little brother. He sent me a 5 pack of tapes including The Black Crowes, AC/DC, and Judas Priest. Every morning at about 5:30 am I would wake up to Metallica from two tents down, Justice For all. :wink:

Rocky Raccoon
07-30-2006, 12:55 AM
more cowbell :escape:

<shrug> well somebody had to...

:sidelol:

unluckyluciano
07-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Stick with me and in no time youll all be wearing golden diapers.

What does that mean?

dreday
07-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Bro if we ever meet you on for Bones, and Spades bro. SRV is Stevie Ray Vaughan. I used to play doubles at lunch in Spades.:wink: Navy it's all good.:wink:
I like the idea of the challenge.We used to play the doubles in spades for checks while underway.Used to play against the "jarheads" all the time.:D .Love to hang out and get back to San Dogg sometime.I loved it there.Im sure youve got plenty of SRV so i'll check it out hopefully.

NaboCane
07-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Melody is number 1; a song can have the best lyrics in the world's history, but if they're couched in a bad melody, I'll never hear them.

Then Lyrics; actually lyrics are very important to me.

A good hook helps; when a song grabs you and won't let go, it's usually more than the sum of its parts, and most of the time that has to do with a good hook.

And all that has to be played well, by musicians that are at least good, or at the very least passionate. Passion can excuse a lot of imperfection.

And finally, a good singer. Not just the voice, but the tone and the phrasing...good example is Michael Buble; his voice is good, but nothing to write home about. Yet his phrasing is unique, it makes his singing special. Reminds me a bit of Sinatra, whose phrasing was impeccable and stood him apart from the other greats of his time.

unluckyluciano
07-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Number one lyrics, they have to stand for something. Can't just talk about sex or drugs or alcohol or partying. Other then that nice guitar play.

Pagan
07-30-2006, 10:03 PM
There is no "formula" for a great song,it's just something that happens imo.If there was we'd all be rock stars.
Give the man a cigar for the correct answer.

A good song depends on alot of things, and those things change from musical genre to musical genre.

What makes a good death metal song wouldn't make a good jazz song. What makes a good rap song wouldn't make a good country western song. What makes a good pop song wouldn't make a good classical piece.

It's all relevant.

Nappy Roots
07-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Number one lyrics, they have to stand for something. Can't just talk about sex or drugs or alcohol or partying. Other then that nice guitar play.

do you honestly like songs with good lyrics and horrible beats? makes it unlistenable....or horrible flow? my god, can you even listen to E40?

:barf:

TitansFanatic
07-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Sometimes, just one line in a song makes me love it...

like right now I'm listening to "Life To Lifeless"-Killswitch Engage...

I jut really like the way "...and the cycle repeats" sounds. Hahaha.

Jt0323
07-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Sometimes, just one line in a song makes me love it...

like right now I'm listening to "Life To Lifeless"-Killswitch Engage...

I jut really like the way "...and the cycle repeats" sounds. Hahaha.
yeah...i like the song Changes by 3 doors down...when they go "I'm blind and shakin' Bound and breaking" that part makes the song for me

unluckyluciano
07-30-2006, 10:46 PM
do you honestly like songs with good lyrics and horrible beats? makes it unlistenable....or horrible flow? my god, can you even listen to E40?

:barf:

Honestly yeah I do liek songs with bad beats but good lyrics. Just who I am I dont like bs rappers.