PDA

View Full Version : The Joker not the only villian in batman sequel?

Majpain
07-30-2006, 01:27 AM
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/721/721174p1.html

"Let's just say that if you were hoping for another Jack Nicholson (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/p/jack_nicholson/)-style Joker, you might end up disappointed."

"From what I've heard about the direction of the film expect The Joker to be very creepy and very extreme," a trusted source for BoF advised the site, claiming that Ledger's Clown Prince will be totally unlike Jack Nicholson's portrayal in the 1989 film."

Discuss.

Dolphin1184
07-30-2006, 01:27 AM
As how Joker should be. He is one of the most evil villians ever.

Mbs3009
07-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Great!! I really hated the way that the Joker was played in the 1st film. He should be the incarnation of insanity. Can't wait. I am such a nerd.

Majpain
07-30-2006, 01:41 AM
I thought Jack fit the roll perfectly.

Pagan
07-30-2006, 02:45 AM
I thought Jack fit the roll perfectly.
Then you haven't read too many Batman comics. Nicholson was (no pun intended) a joke in that role.

I'm glad to hear that the next movie will portray the Joker as he's supposed to be. They seem to be doing everything right with the new Batman. :D

Ray Finkle
07-30-2006, 03:04 AM
Then you haven't read too many Batman comics. Nicholson was (no pun intended) a joke in that role.

I'm glad to hear that the next movie will portray the Joker as he's supposed to be. They seem to be doing everything right with the new Batman. :D

Once again Pagan, you and I agree 100%.

Jaydog57
07-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Heath Ledger is going to play the Joker? Oh boy, a Brokeback Joker:rolleyes:

aboome
07-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Heath Ledger is going to play the Joker? Oh boy, a Brokeback Joker:rolleyes:

OMG Bahahahahahaa
:sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

Prime Time
07-30-2006, 12:33 PM
:nono: Everyone compares the movies to the comics...and they aren't always trying to redo the comics.

Metal Panda
07-30-2006, 12:39 PM
:nono: Everyone compares the movies to the comics...and they aren't always trying to redo the comics.

Extremely true. I enjoyed Burton's first two Batman movies (much less the second one, which was bogged down by Devito) because they were Batman reimagined in his universe.

Likewise, the new incarnation (I consider Batman Begins to be the best Batman movie made) is another reinvention as well.

Gonzo
07-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Heath Ledger is going to play the Joker? Oh boy, a Brokeback Joker:rolleyes: Holy played out joke, Batman!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
07-30-2006, 01:42 PM
i loved nicholson's interpretation far better than the original.

Pagan
07-30-2006, 02:11 PM
i loved nicholson's interpretation far better than the original.
Of course you would. :lol:

Then they shouldn't do them at all.

I've said this before in here, you can't take a character like Batman that people have grown up with for over 60 years and "reinvent" them. It's bull****, and all it is is some "genius" director trying to make it seem like his "vision" is better than the original.

Maybe the next Superman movie can have him be gay and fly around in a lavender jumpsuit. After all, that would be edgy and imaginative, no?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
07-30-2006, 02:25 PM
and of course you would like the oldest and original more regardless.

CharlestonPhan
07-30-2006, 03:24 PM
i didnt mind Nicholson's Joker at all, and thought he made the first movie far more enjoyable that it wouldve been without him... i went into it not expecting a totally true-to-the-original story version.

that said, BB totally blew away the previous Batman movies in my opinion and a more true to the comic Joker could be a truly awesome character to behold. not to mention it would fit far better with the standard set in BB. but if Heath Ledger is the choice to play Joker, i aint holding my breath...

which brings up a topic swerve: who would y'all like to see in the role of the Joker in the next Batman movie?

Nappy Roots
07-30-2006, 03:33 PM

I've said this before in here, you can't take a character like Batman that people have grown up with for over 60 years and "reinvent" them. It's bull****, and all it is is some "genius" director trying to make it seem like his "vision" is better than the original.

Maybe the next Superman movie can have him be gay and fly around in a lavender jumpsuit. After all, that would be edgy and imaginative, no?

under this line of thinkin, the movies should all be the same....

Samphin
07-30-2006, 03:41 PM

I agree in principle but the comics themselves change their own rules, so that kind of makes it open game for movies as well as far as I am concerned.

Buddwalk
07-30-2006, 04:10 PM
sounds like good news...I think pagan is a closet comic book nerd disguised as a heavy metal bassist :chuckle:

Pagan
07-30-2006, 09:47 PM
and of course you would like the oldest and original more regardless.
No, not regardless.

If I want to see a psychotic, very dark, mentally disturbed serial killer played as if he's a buffoonish clown, then I'll watch the Nicholson version.

I prefer the remake of Dawn of the Dead over the original, as well as the remake of King Kong, so I don't always go for the oldest and original.

So, once AGAIN (as always) you're dead wrong.

It's amazing how you keep trying in the face of utter repeated failure, Kat. Keep trying though, one day you may be correct about something.

sounds like good news...I think pagan is a closet comic book nerd disguised as a heavy metal bassist :chuckle:
Shhhhhhh...:lol:

under this line of thinkin, the movies should all be the same....
No, not at all. The remake of King Kong was brilliant, but it kept the spirit of the original alive while doing it in an updated fashion. It didn't change anything of the classic story, it just was a better made movie due to technology advances.

Had it been Tim Burton, Kong would have been a giant Orangutan instead of a gorilla...cause after all Burton's a genius and his way would be better.

See what I'm getting at?

Baxter
07-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Holy played out joke, Batman!:sidelol:

DrAstroZoom
07-31-2006, 09:29 AM
I liked Nicholson's take on Batman while realizing it wasn't the same image as the comics. It was what it was.

That said, I'm *really* excited about this news.

Motion
07-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Sounds good. I think Ledger will be a good Joker, Nicholson was too cheesy IMO.

Nappy Roots
07-31-2006, 11:00 AM
No, not at all. The remake of King Kong was brilliant, but it kept the spirit of the original alive while doing it in an updated fashion. It didn't change anything of the classic story, it just was a better made movie due to technology advances.

Had it been Tim Burton, Kong would have been a giant Orangutan instead of a gorilla...cause after all Burton's a genius and his way would be better.

See what I'm getting at?

i understand what your sayin, but the batman series comes out all the time...if every one was the exact same characters, it would seem to get old. im not really disagreeing with your point, but simply saying its not horrible to have their own vision on some characters.

Pagan
07-31-2006, 11:29 AM
i understand what your sayin, but the batman series comes out all the time...if every one was the exact same characters, it would seem to get old. im not really disagreeing with your point, but simply saying its not horrible to have their own vision on some characters.
I see where you're coming from. I guess it isn't, I'll just avoid the "visionary" ones and stick to the ones I like then. :wink:

Rocky Raccoon
07-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Holy played out joke, Batman!

seriously.

The Brokeback jokes are old, and just not funny.

Majpain
07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
seriously.

The Brokeback jokes are old, and just not funny.

Atleast the Chuck Norris Jokes died.I couldnt take another month of

"Chuck Norris tears cures cancers too bad Cuck never cries"

Rocky Raccoon
07-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Atleast the Chuck Norris Jokes died.I couldnt take another month of

"Chuck Norris tears cures cancers too bad Cuck never cries"

:lol: yeah, but at least those were funny at a time. I never found the Brokeback jokes funny, and I hear them EVERYWHERE.

Gonzo
07-31-2006, 03:11 PM
:lol: yeah, but at least those were funny at a time. I never found the Brokeback jokes funny, and I hear them EVERYWHERE.

I'm sure Ledger is laughing all the way to the bank, damn near with an Oscar in hand. Not to mention I am sure that his performance in that movie had a lot more to do with his being chosen as the Joker than his role as Casanova or the son of the ever-holy Gibson ( :lol: ) in The Patriot.

greatwade
07-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Where does he get all those wonderful little boys?

Pagan
07-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Maybe there wouldn't have been so many jokes if Ledger didn't get all pissy every time someone referred to Brokeback as "The Gay Cowboy Movie".

I mean seriously...what ELSE could you call that movie? There was no need for him to get all bent out of shape. It feuled those jokes.

Prime Time
07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
I had never heard of Brokeback until a few months ago. Why is it such a victim of jokes? I'd like to know.

Gonzo
07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Maybe there wouldn't have been so many jokes if Ledger didn't get all pissy every time someone referred to Brokeback as "The Gay Cowboy Movie".

I mean seriously...what ELSE could you call that movie? There was no need for him to get all bent out of shape. It feuled those jokes.

I didn't know he did. I was just about to type that as the description to Prime Time. :lol:

dQbell
07-31-2006, 04:48 PM
I still can't picture Heath doing the Joker, but I thought Jamie Foxx was not the right one for Tubbs in Miami Vice. He did great.

By the way, I think Jack Nicholsan was an excellent Joker. His presence made that movie great and then explains how easily it went crappy right after the first.

Gonzo
07-31-2006, 07:27 PM
I still can't picture Heath doing the Joker, but I thought Jamie Foxx was not the right one for Tubbs in Miami Vice. He did great.

By the way, I think Jack Nicholsan was an excellent Joker. His presence made that movie great and then explains how easily it went crappy right after the first.
I'm the same. I remain fairly open minded about it.

As for Nicholson, I think the guy is awesome. However, he plays Jack Nicholson in every role he has, and nobody does it better. Batman, The Shining, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are similar in two ways. First, all strayed from the source material yet remained good or even classic (the latter two) in their own right. Second, all featured Jack Nicholson playing a crazy Jack Nicholson with different make-up artists. While I liked his Nich...err, Joker, I look forward to an interpretation closer to the comic version.

Finally, I think ****ty writing, too many villains (slow down Spiderman!), and increasing levels of campiness doomed the original movies more than the loss of Nicholson.

dQbell
07-31-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm the same. I remain fairly open minded about it.

As for Nicholson, I think the guy is awesome. However, he plays Jack Nicholson in every role he has, and nobody does it better. Batman, The Shining, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are similar in two ways. First, all strayed from the source material yet remained good or even classic (the latter two) in their own right. Second, all featured Jack Nicholson playing a crazy Jack Nicholson with different make-up artists. While I liked his Nich...err, Joker, I look forward to an interpretation closer to the comic version.

Finally, I think ****ty writing, too many villains (slow down Spiderman!), and increasing levels of campiness doomed the original movies more than the loss of Nicholson.

I would say that Nicholson's performance sort of created this wonder about who would play the next villain, and that somewhat added to the disgrace of each additional sequel.

I do agree about the writing. Keaton (whom I actually liked in Batman) did an interview where he admits that the writing was getting terrible, so he refused to do more. I suppose that tells you a lot about the actors that did the last two before Batman Returns.

Dolphin1184
08-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Arnold as Mr. Frieze has to be the worst casting EVER. He RUINED one of my favorite tragic villians.