PDA

View Full Version : Question for Army people

iceblizzard69
04-12-2003, 05:00 PM
I was wondering what the general differences are between an army airborne division and an army infantry division? Thanks in advance.

WharfRat
04-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I was wondering what the general differences are between an army airborne division and an army infantry division? Thanks in advance.

In a nutshell...
Infantry is a general term for "ground troops"

Airborne Infantry = Paratroopers - Although not limited to that. Usually transported by air. Considered "light infantry" Specialize in behind the lines actions, urban combat etc.

Mechanized Infantry = Mixed with Tanks and APC's, usually has a ride... Considered "heavy infantry", usually works with a Cavalry unit (light armor).

Infantry = Ground Pounders, do a lot of walking, usually front line troops, or grunts. Also will come behind airborne, mech, or cav units to "hold" secured areas.

iceblizzard69
04-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Thanks Wharf, I see all of this stuff on TV and I had no clue what each one was. Thanks a lot. :)

WharfRat
04-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks Wharf, I see all of this stuff on TV and I had no clue what each one was. Thanks a lot. :)

Glad I could help Ice ;)

Barbarian
04-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Army infantry: gutsy
Army Airborne: certifiably crazy

pretty much sums it up.

WharfRat
04-12-2003, 08:37 PM

Also Ice.. if you want more detail... here are a few links to those types of units...

Airborne Infantry:
101st Airborne Division (http://www.campbell.army.mil/division.htm)

Mechanized Infantry: (My old unit BTW)
4th Infantry Division (Mechanized) (http://pao.hood.army.mil/4id/)

Cavalry:
1st Cavalry Division (http://pao.hood.army.mil/1stcavdiv/default.htm)

Infantry:
1st Infantry Division (http://www.1id.army.mil/)

WharfRat
04-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Barbarian
Army infantry: gutsy
Army Airborne: certifiably crazy

pretty much sums it up.

:lolcry:

true that Barbian!!

I'd also add - Mech Infantry & Cavalry: Armed Maniac Drivers...

iceblizzard69
04-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Thanks Wharf. I saw the 4th Infantry being talked about on TV and they were talking about getting them involved but the war has gone so quickly that I don't think they have made it to the front lines yet!!

WharfRat
04-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Thanks Wharf. I saw the 4th Infantry being talked about on TV and they were talking about getting them involved but the war has gone so quickly that I don't think they have made it to the front lines yet!!

that's correct Ice....

They were supposed to go in through Turkey and open the northern front... but we all know what happened there...
So, they've been floating around in the Med. Sea, and had to go around to get to Kuwait....

Clumpy
04-13-2003, 01:31 AM
I was a medic with the 1st/61st INF(M), 5th ID, based at Ft. Polk(1987-1990)

I served in Panama. Played war games at the NTC Ft. Irwin, CA (middle of the Mojave desert)

I preferred riding an APC as opposed to long road marches ;)

WharfRat
04-13-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

I served in Panama. Played war games at the NTC Ft. Irwin, CA (middle of the Mojave desert)

I preferred riding an APC as opposed to long road marches ;)

Me too Clump!!

I started as a Ground Pounder... then wised up and went 11B... The Bradley is a much better way to get there! :D

Clumpy
04-13-2003, 01:50 AM
we had M113s: Ft. Polk was behind the times. They were just starting to get the Bradley's when I was discharged in 1990. But still better than walkin'

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 02:00 AM

I preferred riding an APC as opposed to long road marches ;) general patton used to drill his troops in that area, basically, near amboy!

Clumpy
04-13-2003, 02:07 AM
Yep.......Peason Ridge training area. Ft. Polk was originated from the Louisiana War Games of the mid-late 30s.

WharfRat
04-13-2003, 02:22 AM
we had M113s: Ft. Polk was behind the times. They were just starting to get the Bradley's when I was discharged in 1990. But still better than walkin'

Oh man! Yeah I remember the M113's too! They were slow and clunky, but they got ya there!
Better than walkin'? H@ll yeah! Better than the back of a Deuce & 1/2 too!

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Yep.......Peason Ridge training area. Ft. Polk was originated from the Louisiana War Games of the mid-late 30s. if you can get out in the desert, you can find all kinds of stuff from the third army!;)

PhinPhan1227
04-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Biggest difference between Airborne and regular Inf is that an Airborne unit has to be completely self contained, and everything in it has to be "air portable". Light artillary, VERY light armor(if they even still use those death-traps the Sheridan), and lots of Hummers. A regular Inf or Mech Inf unit has it's supply lines behind it to keep it supplied, and is frequently part of a "front" where it can be supported by other units. Airborne however drops in with most of what it will use, and has to rely on further airdrops for ammo/fuel/medical supplies. Also, they can't come out the way they came in. They either advance, or they hold until someone can get them out. It doesn't get any tougher in the regular military than an Airborne Ranger.