PDA

View Full Version : City Of God & another movie like it?

Fresh
07-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Like I've never seen this movie but I always wanted to - some people tell me it's great, others tell me it took them like 5 times to watch the entire movie because it's so graphic. Anybody wonna kick in a quick review for me? Thanks in advance. I think I'm gonna go buy it at Best Buy.

ALSO, there's another movie that my aunt was telling me about but she didn't remember the name. I believe it's in South Africa where the Gorillas (gangsters) go around to different villages killing people, raping women, etc. - does anyone know the name?

Nappy Roots
07-30-2006, 04:35 PM
i havent seen it either, ive heard it was great though.

Heres some people on Amazon.com reviews (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000D9PNX/sr=8-1/qid=1154291611/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2712925-2332057?ie=UTF8) , 5 outta 6 gave the movie 5 stars.

Fresh
07-30-2006, 04:36 PM
I wonder if the movie I'm describing is actually City Of God, lol? I remember her telling me about like, a father teaching his young child how to shoot, and if the kid didn't kill someone, the father would be forced to kill his own child. But she also told me some sick stuff about raping, then cutting out women's breasts & other body parts.

poornate
07-30-2006, 11:28 PM
City of God is fantastic....it's powerful but not obscenely graphic. All the actors in the film (for the most part) are actually native to the city of God in Rio Dejinero. One of the best movies in the last five years....The other movie you are referring to is also really good....It's called Hotel Rawanda and is also a true story about the mass genocide of the Tutsi tribe in Africa. It stars Don Cheadle, is mostly in English, and you will not be disappointed by either film.....

Fresh
07-31-2006, 02:20 AM
Thanks!

Best Buy is in my future, like tomorrow.........

Fresh
07-31-2006, 08:18 PM
I highly recommend City Of God to everyone here.

I don't know where it ranks in terms of my "favorites" because it seems like one of those movies that you watch once, then don't watch it again for about a year......but it's the best movie I've ever seen.

The entire movie is in another language, but the subtitles are easy as hell to read. I didn't mind it one bit, because when having to read the subtitles you're more glued to the actual movie. It makes you press pause for every distraction, and you understand the movie better. It's easy to understand - great movie and a TRUE STORY. Top of the line.

Lil' Ze as a bad guy >>>>>>>>>> Scarface, without question.

SkapePhin
07-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Its a good movie.. All the actors were actually from the Favelas.. They sent them to acting school for their roles..

Nappy Roots
09-19-2006, 09:59 PM
I highly recommend City Of God to everyone here.

I don't know where it ranks in terms of my "favorites" because it seems like one of those movies that you watch once, then don't watch it again for about a year......but it's the best movie I've ever seen.

The entire movie is in another language, but the subtitles are easy as hell to read. I didn't mind it one bit, because when having to read the subtitles you're more glued to the actual movie. It makes you press pause for every distraction, and you understand the movie better. It's easy to understand - great movie and a TRUE STORY. Top of the line.

Lil' Ze as a bad guy >>>>>>>>>> Scarface, without question.

i just watched it. damn, it was a great movie. i HATE movies that you have to read in it, but it was such a great movie i forgot about that after about 5 minutes. unbelieveable movie..

also, yea. id agree Lil Ze was nasty. they went so much into detail with him than scarface though...also..

**spoiler**

the way he went out? compared to scarface? doesnt compare. but id agree, everything they showed with him, he destroys scarface.

good movie. http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Mike13
09-20-2006, 12:27 AM
Supposedly they are going to show it at FIU.

ih8brady
09-20-2006, 06:28 AM
the second film you're thinking of might be Tsotsi?

Noodle Arm
09-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Even though the thread is old, I'm really glad you liked City of God Blueprint. It was one of the best movies I saw in 2003. The actor who played the adult Lil Ze was electrifying, and Benny was somehow likeable even though he did horrible things. It's not a "fun" movie to watch, but it's one of the best I've seen in a long time.

tucker
09-20-2006, 09:48 AM
the constant gardener is another movie that the director has made and is very good

edit: ya that sounds like the movie your aunt is talking about also..