04-13-2003, 12:43 AM
Green Day
Offspring
Linkin Park
Godsmack
nonpoint

Dajesus
04-13-2003, 01:09 AM
How does one answer such a question? My musical taste is so vast it would change daily. Currently I have Barry Manilow(don't hate you know "Mandy" gets you everytime) and NWA in my visor cd holder. I am going to give it a shot by decade.

'50s
James Brown

'60s
Greatfull Dead

'70s
Greatfull Dead
P-Funk
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd

'80s
Clash
Countless 1 hit wonders such as the Dixie Midnight Runners, Nena, and The Jeff Healy Band just to name a few
Metalica
NWA
Jimmy Buffet
U2

'90s
Beastie Boys
Phish
Snoop Dogg-Dr Dre
Pearl Jam
Green Day
Dave Mathews

'00-'03
I would have to say this has been the dark age of music. F rock rap, F kid rock, F limp bizkit. But if I had to name a few:
Emenim
50 cent
Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies
DMX

Jaydog57
04-13-2003, 01:17 AM
Journey
Loverboy
REO Speedwagon
El Debarge
Menudo
:goof:

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by gunsnroses
Who are some of your favorite bands? Here's mine:

i have several, but i think the old CCR band was the best! whaen they did "green river" "bad moon arisin", etc!

WharfRat
04-13-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by dolfan06
i have several, but i think the old CCR band was the best! whaen they did "green river" "bad moon arisin", etc!

Creedance Clearwater Revival!

I used to love them .. very easy to play their tunes... I think they only used 7 chords! I always liked Fogarty's voice though!

Marino1983
04-13-2003, 08:17 AM
Aerosmith
Bad Company
Van Halen
Eagles
(Old) Styx
Def Leppard
ZZ Top
Journey
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
CCR
Nazareth
Billy Joel
ELO
Tom Petty

:D Marino1983

Peebs
04-13-2003, 10:40 AM
Well it depends on my mood.

Stone Temple Pilots
Foo fighters
Lenny Kravitz
Offspring
Nirvana

Then sometimes
Van Halen
Pink Floyd

Then sometimes
Frank Sinatra
Gypsy Kings
or any kind of Latin music

Muck
04-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Going to see Pearl Jam tonight for free. :)

Muck
04-13-2003, 10:55 AM
For me, I think "favorite bands" means "who's your favorite bands right now". Hell, Nirvana and Metallica are probably the two bands that affected me more than any others. I love them. But these days, I'm not listening to them.

iceblizzard69
04-13-2003, 11:02 AM
My list (not in order):

50 Cent
P.O.D.
Eminem
Nas
Nirvana
Lenny Kravitz
Outkast
Jay-Z
Nelly
Busta Rhymes
Juvenile
Ludacris
Linkin Park
DMX

And I probably forgot some people. :)

dean_siu
04-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by WharfRat
Creedance Clearwater Revival!

I used to love them .. very easy to play their tunes... I think they only used 7 chords! I always liked Fogarty's voice though!

Have you seen the new CCR? (Creedance Clearwater Revisted) It features 2 of the original band members along with a new singer who sounds just like Fogarty did when they were recording their classic material! I'm usually not much for bands with new lead singers....but these guys are definitely worth checking out if you have the opportunity!

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by dean_siu
Have you seen the new CCR? (Creedance Clearwater Revisted) It features 2 of the original band members along with a new singer who sounds just like Fogarty did when they were recording their classic material! I'm usually not much for bands with new lead singers....but these guys are definitely worth checking out if you have the opportunity! since they came on the scene, i've never once seen em live. now i'll make a point to!;)

Miafan
04-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Rage Against the Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Slipknot
Godsmack
System of a Down
Nirvana
Smashing Pumpkins
Disturbed

Muck
04-13-2003, 01:59 PM
I wish System had a different singer. Serj only sounds right half of the time IMHO.

EM Bills Fan 80
04-13-2003, 02:51 PM
Newer: 50 Cent, Eminem, DmX, LLoyd Banks, Joe Budden, Mobb Deep, Clipse, Xzibit, etc...

Older: Metallica, Pink Floyd, Rush, ACDC, etc...

shelby
04-13-2003, 03:44 PM
In no particular order:
Disturbed
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Used
Finch
Stone Temple Pilots
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Saliva
Seether
Taking Back Sunday
.........shall i go on?
;)

Muck
04-13-2003, 04:10 PM
Oh man. I grew up on SRV. My favorite guitar player of all time.

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Muck
Oh man. I grew up on SRV. My favorite guitar player of all time. some of the names of these new groups crack me up! "DISTURBED":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Muck
04-13-2003, 04:15 PM
some of the names of these new groups crack me up! "DISTURBED":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then you'd love "BOY HITS CAR". :lol: Unfortunately, the music sucks. But you gotta love the name.

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Then you'd love "BOY HITS CAR". :lol: Unfortunately, the music sucks. But you gotta love the name. i've heard a couple that sound like "car hits boy", i don't know how some of em get a recording contract!:D

shelby
04-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Oh man. I grew up on SRV. My favorite guitar player of all time.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is amazing as well.
:D

Hey 06, turn down the Perry Como you grumpy old :angry:!!!!!

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by shelby
Kenny Wayne Shepherd is amazing as well.
:D

Hey 06, turn down the Perry Como you grumpy old :angry:!!!!! i never listened to harry ****, james brown, little richard, and jerry lee...............etc. thats the ticket!;)

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 04:26 PM
i never thought much of elvis or the beatles either. i thought roy orbison was better, wouldn't win any beauty contests but he sounded great!

Hellion
04-13-2003, 04:45 PM
Metallica
70's Kiss
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
SRV
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
AC/DC
Jackle
BlackFoot
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Tesla
CCR
Ted Nuggent
Nazerath
Def Leppard (On through the night, High and dry, Pyromainia)
Judas Priest
Motley Crue (Live wire, Shout at the Devil, Theater of pain)
BTO

New stuff I like is.
Theory of a Deadman
AudioSlave (Rage against the Machine band members with Chris Connel from Sound Garden)
The New Saliva
GodSmack
Nickleback

That's all I can think of at the moment.

shelby
04-13-2003, 04:59 PM
i never listened to harry ****, james brown, little richard, and jerry lee...............etc. thats the ticket!;)

James Brown :angry:ing ROCKS!!!!

:tongue:

Marino1983
04-13-2003, 05:16 PM
i never thought much of elvis or the beatles either. i thought roy orbison was better, wouldn't win any beauty contests but he sounded great!

Man you didn't like the B-e-a- tles ??? That is sacrilegious 06 .....:goof: :jk: :biggrin: Marino1983

Muck
04-13-2003, 05:30 PM
06 is REALLY old. :tongue:

Marino1983
04-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Nah 06 is just a very honest person Muck ........:zerosix: :cooldude: :groovy: Marino1983

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Marino1983
Man you didn't like the B-e-a- tles ??? That is sacrilegious 06 .....:goof: :jk: :biggrin: Marino1983 the beatles took a righteous song by the isley bothers, "twist and shout" and tore it apart!:rolleyes:

Baz
04-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Its tough to pick a few out. I'll try though. Let me warn you that there are going to be some very different things in this list.

Nappy Roots
Executioners
Rahzel (anyone who can beatbox and sing at the same time is OK in
my book)
Busta Rhymes
The Ataris
Counting Crows
Incubus
Spineshank (This gets my adreniline running before a game)
Puddle of Mudd
Staind
Shakira

Lastly, I'm kind of listening to Christina Aguilera a lot lately. Couldn't tell ya why though......

Marino1983
04-13-2003, 07:48 PM
A good friend of mine that was probably 14 or 15 when the Beatles first came to America cannot stand to hear ANY of their music !:confused:

He says:lol: the Beatles are the reason there were sooooo many long hair hippies in the 60's !!! :rofl: :hitself: Marino1983

Marino1983
04-13-2003, 07:54 PM
the beatles took a righteous song by the isley bothers, "twist and shout" and tore it apart!:rolleyes:

Yeah but that happens all the time 06 ... Who was it that did the Tommy James & Shondels remake "I think were alone now" in the late 80's ??? Talk about "taring a song apart" .....:cry: :egads: Marino1983

iceblizzard69
04-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Without the Beatles, you wouldn't have any of the music you have today.

baccarat
04-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

I fail to see the accomplishment.

Note: Not to say the Beatles are bad, just the vast majority of new music.

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by booyeah_
I fail to see the accomplishment.

Note: Not to say the Beatles are bad, just the vast majority of new music. that was put nicer than i could have done it, i assure you!:D

Hellion
04-13-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

:sceptic:
No, without BB King, Little Richard, James Brown, Bill Haley, Elvis, every blues singer prior to 1950, Buddy Holly, and a ton of other musicians that I can't think of right now are more responsible for todays music than the Beatles, because without them there wouldn't have been the beatles, Paul McCartney will tell you that.

Oh yeah and I almost for got the most important pioneer of modern music......Les Paul, thank you for that wonderful gutair.

:hail: :band:

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Hellion
No, without BB King, Little Richard, James Brown, Bill Haley, Elvis, every blues singer prior to 1950, Buddy Holly, and a ton of other musicians that I can't think of right now are more responsible for todays music than the Beatles, because without them there wouldn't have been the beatles, Paul McCartney will tell you that.

Oh yeah and I almost for got the most important pioneer of modern music......Les Paul, thank you for that wonderful gutair.

:hail: :band: don't forget carl perkins, he made "blue suede shoes" before elvis did!;)

Hellion
04-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Actually Elvis ripped off alot of songs, mostly from black blues artists that couldn't get radio play due to skin color. :shakeno: :nono:

Music knows no bounds man!

dolfan06
04-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Actually Elvis ripped off alot of songs, mostly from black blues artists that couldn't get radio play due to skin color. :shakeno: :nono:

Music knows no bounds man! i like your avatar and title!:lol:

Hellion
04-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Thanks 06! :D And I always liked those old farts from the muppet show. Best part of the show IMO. :up:

WharfRat
04-13-2003, 11:10 PM

Amen to that!

Dajesus
04-13-2003, 11:18 PM

You just have to throw in Bob Dylan to this list. The Beatles admited that it was Bob that inspired them to make the switch from bubble gum rock to rock and roll.

Muck
04-14-2003, 12:00 AM
Bob Dylan was huge. Everybody covered his stuff. Usually better than him. :) But he was a pioneer nonetheless.

Muck
04-14-2003, 12:02 AM
Yeah but that happens all the time 06 ... Who was it that did the Tommy James & Shondels remake "I think were alone now" in the late 80's ??? Talk about "taring a song apart" .....:cry: :egads: Marino1983

That would be Tiffany. And here she is 15 years later....plastic surgery, posing for Playboy, and judging Star Search (I think). She's still annoying, even in her "comeback".

Dajesus
04-14-2003, 01:54 AM
Bob Dylan was huge. Everybody covered his stuff. Usually better than him. :) But he was a pioneer nonetheless.

Yeah his voice wasn't very good, and his music wasn't top notch, but boy could he write lyrics. Jimi Hendrix also said that Bob was his biggest influence.

Jaydog57
04-14-2003, 05:37 AM
You can go all the way back to neanderthals saying who influenced who in music. Sure, without Chuck Berry, or BB King you wouldn't have the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, who were responsible for bands like Aerosmith, who were responsible for bands like Guns' n Roses. But even BB King had influences, like Robert Johnson, so without him, BB might not have had his sound, and music wouldn't sound like it does today. You can go on and on back, saying the artist/band prior is better than the band that came out 10 years later, cause without the predecessor the latest wouldn't be the greatest, but personally, I think it depends on which generation you're asking. It's funny, music is a challenging, creative, and innovative form of expression, and the further we go along with it, and the more advanced it gets, the more people say it's 'not as good'. Not as good as a stripped down set with one or two guitars, a bass, and a drum. Sorry, but they said the same things about color tv's and stereo's. "Who needs a color tv?" "Nobody will ever use a cassette player in their home." If we'd listened, we'd still be watching Ozzie and Harriet.:rolleyes: I guess I'm trying to say appreciate music for where it's come from and for where it's going. There's WAY too much of it to listen to from too many generations to label one decade as 'the best'. Rock on........:cool:

Marino1983
04-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Dajesus
Yeah his voice wasn't very good, and his music wasn't top notch, but boy could he write lyrics. Jimi Hendrix also said that Bob was his biggest influence.

I guess that is what happens when you have a drug store flowing through your veins for 4 decades ....:eek: J Hendrix has NO egual as far as playing the guitar !!!! Maybe jimmy page but I have yet to see ANYONE even replicate the Hendrix EXPERIENCE....:D Marino1983

Jaydog57
04-14-2003, 03:51 PM
I guess that is what happens when you have a drug store flowing through your veins for 4 decades ....:eek: J Hendrix has NO egual as far as playing the guitar !!!! Maybe jimmy page but I have yet to see ANYONE even replicate the Hendrix EXPERIENCE....:D Marino1983 That would be sweet if they just blasted Hendrix's version of 'The Star Spangled Banner' throughout Baghdad 24/7. Personally, I liked Eddie Van Halen's sound in the late 70's - mid 80's, it just had this heavy crunch to it. Like Hendrix, people are still trying to figure out how he did/does some of the stuff on a guitar.:rocker:

Hellion
04-14-2003, 06:24 PM
I don't think anyone here is saying that one decade of music is better than any anothers. The quality of the music depends on the taste of the person who's listening. Like women it depends on whether you like blondes over brunettes or vise versa. It's all based on opinion and taste.

As far as influances go, sure I guess you could go all the way back to caveman days, it's all related in some form or another but to say that Bob Dylan or the Beatles were influanced by Mukwak and Tunka from the northern tribe of the Oockoo cave bear clan in 3000 bc is a bit of a stretch don't ya think?

Oh and as far as great gutair players go, I think Randy Rhoads was one who was great, and on his why to be legendary before his untimely death.

R.I.P. RR

Jaydog57
04-14-2003, 10:02 PM
I don't think anyone here is saying that one decade of music is better than any anothers. The quality of the music depends on the taste of the person who's listening. Like women it depends on whether you like blondes over brunettes or vise versa. It's all based on opinion and taste.

As far as influances go, sure I guess you could go all the way back to caveman days, it's all related in some form or another but to say that Bob Dylan or the Beatles were influanced by Mukwak and Tunka from the northern tribe of the Oockoo cave bear clan in 3000 bc is a bit of a stretch don't ya think?

Oh and as far as great gutair players go, I think Randy Rhoads was one who was great, and on his why to be legendary before his untimely death.

R.I.P. RR Actually I thought it was Mad Gascar from the Nuwanda tribe who influenced them but I could be wrong:rolleyes: Just sayin' influence goes all the way back as far as time began and every little bit helps....It's all good:cool:

Fresh
04-15-2003, 01:39 AM
DMX
Lil Wayne
50 Cent
Juvenile
B.G.
Turk
Big Tymers
Eminem
Dre
Snoop
Nas
Jay Z
Field Mob
Ludacris

that's what I mainly been feelin' lately. i'll never quit on Cash Money. So sir, not this Dirty South boy.

:bling:

SQAD UP

Fresh
04-15-2003, 01:41 AM
Classics:
Old time Dre n Snoop
Old Tupac
NWA
Jam Masta J

HOW DID I FORGET METHOD MAN N REDMAN!

WeVie
04-15-2003, 02:13 AM
If it's hard I love it!

Ozzy is my all time favorite.(I have one of his harmonicas from a show)
Disturbed is next in line. After that there are many

Saliva
KoRn
Streromud
Godsmack
Manson
Puddle Of Mud
Rob Zomibe
Drowning Pool (it's sad that Dave is no longer with us)

There are many others as well. I always try to go to Ozzfest every year but I missed it last year. But this year I will go August 24th in Charoltte, NC

Dajesus
04-15-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Dolphin_Fan
If it's hard I love it!

Saliva
KoRn
Streromud
Godsmack
Manson
Puddle Of Mud
Rob Zomibe

There are many others as well. I always try to go to Ozzfest every year but I missed it last year. But this year I will go August 24th in Charoltte, NC

I heard an interveiw with Lionel Ritchie the other day, and couldn't beleave what i heard. Rob Zombie is colaborating with him on covering one of his songs, and may be the biggest Lionel fan in the world. Apparently Rob invited Lionel back to his house to show off his shrine to him. Differint strokes i guess.

Fresh
04-15-2003, 03:49 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

dolfan06
04-15-2003, 08:45 AM
If it's hard I love it!

Saliva
KoRn
Streromud
Godsmack
Manson
Puddle Of Mud
Rob Zomibe

ya gotta admit, some of the names are worth a chuckle!:lol:

Jaydog57
04-15-2003, 11:16 AM
If it's hard I love it!

Saliva
KoRn
Streromud
Godsmack
Manson
Puddle Of Mud
Rob Zomibe

There are many others as well. I always try to go to Ozzfest every year but I missed it last year. But this year I will go August 24th in Charoltte, NC I read in Guitar World a couple months back that Rob Zombie is doing the vocals on the new Drowning Pool album. That's gonna kick some ass I bet...:rocker:

superbowlchamp8
04-15-2003, 01:16 PM
BOWLING FOR SOUP, BLINK-182, NELLY, 50-CENT, AND ACDC

WeVie
04-15-2003, 01:24 PM
That would be great. Zombie has the sound to fit with the band too. But in a way if may not be good for the rest of Drowning Pool because in a way it would simply turn into his band and not Drowning Pool.

Sure this was a long long time ago but how many Black Sabbath songs can you think of that they did after they booted Ozzy? I don't know the name of even one. There was no Sabbath without him IMHO.

Jaydog57
04-15-2003, 01:45 PM
That would be great. Zombie has the sound to fit with the band too. But in a way if may not be good for the rest of Drowning Pool because in a way it would simply turn into his band and not Drowning Pool.

Sure this was a long long time ago but how many Black Sabbath songs can you think of that they did after they booted Ozzy? I don't know the name of even one. There was no Sabbath without him IMHO. I see your point, but Ozzy got kicked out of the band, the singer for Drowing Pool DIED. They had to find somebody to keep the band going. It worked for AC/DC right?:cool:

Hellion
04-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Jaydog57
Actually I thought it was Mad Gascar from the Nuwanda tribe who influenced them

:lol: You could be right there Jay dog.

WeVie
04-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Yeah it did work for AC/DC and a few others. I just hope Zombie does'nt overshadow the rest of the band

WharfRat
04-17-2003, 12:21 AM
Sure this was a long long time ago but how many Black Sabbath songs can you think of that they did after they booted Ozzy?

Heaven and Hell
The Mob Rules

Just to name a few....
Ronnie James Dio took over for Ozzy for the first post-Ozzy album, which was quite good actually...
I was always a fan of Tony Iommi, so I kept listening... :D

Fresh
04-17-2003, 01:46 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2003/04/1a-2.gif
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2003/04/5a-1.gif
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2003/04/9a-1.gif
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2003/04/12a-1.gif

Fresh
04-17-2003, 01:54 AM
:m83:http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2003/04/set-1.gif
:m83:http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2003/04/justin7a-1.gif

dolfan06
04-17-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2003/04/1a-2.gif
this guy looks like he has to take a whiz!

Hellion
04-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by WharfRat
Heaven and Hell
The Mob Rules

Just to name a few....
Ronnie James Dio took over for Ozzy for the first post-Ozzy album, which was quite good actually...
I was always a fan of Tony Iommi, so I kept listening... :D

I agree Warf,
Heaven and Hell was a kickass album, There was alot of great songs on there, infact Heaven and Hell was the 2nd bass line I learned how to play.
I thought I'd be disappointed after Ozzy was out, but Ronnie James Dio did a great job.

Pagan
04-18-2003, 01:04 PM
70's
1. Led Zeppelin
2. Black Sabbath
3. KISS
4. Angel
5. Queen

80's
1. Iron Maiden (DUH!)
2. Judas Priest
3. Dio