:nono: /me starts head banging with The Rev 80's style

The Rev
08-01-2006, 09:56 AM
/me listens to Whitesnake playing in the background..."Here I go again..."

:nono:

mor911
08-01-2006, 09:56 AM
:wtf:

How in the world did I quote the rev and end up above him?

Mindwarp
08-01-2006, 09:59 AM
you went back in time Mor... back in time..

DolFan74
08-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Go Back where you came from Chris..

Gonzo
08-01-2006, 10:39 AM

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here.

The Rev
08-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here.

You gotta love the "Back to the Future" references anytime you get them. :yes:

Spray Mucus
08-01-2006, 10:45 AM

Mor drives a Delorean? no wonder why he gets all the chicks!

Gonzo
08-01-2006, 10:48 AM
You gotta love the "Back to the Future" references anytime you get them. :yes::hi5:

mor911
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
:lol: :sidelol: :lol:

The Rev
08-01-2006, 10:55 AM
/me loves The Mor (in a totally masculine, heterosexual way) :chuckle:

ChrisKo
08-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Watch out b******, here I come! :)

Roman529
08-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't know how you guys can live in Florida and have to face the possibility of your home being destroyed every summer? Hope you guys won't get hit hard this year...and as an out-of-towner, hope I don't miss anymore Phins games when the Dolphins games get moved to Saturday or Mondays, etc., due to hurricanes. DirecTV screws anyone who has the Ticket if games have to be rescheduled. :tantrum:

Jt0323
08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
:lol:

Celtkin
08-01-2006, 12:54 PM
http://norealnews.com/fins/mindspam.jpg
:lol: :sidelol: :lol:

Flame
08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't know how you guys can live in Florida and have to face the possibility of your home being destroyed every summer? Hope you guys won't get hit hard this year...and as an out-of-towner, hope I don't miss anymore Phins games when the Dolphins games get moved to Saturday or Mondays, etc., due to hurricanes. DirecTV screws anyone who has the Ticket if games have to be rescheduled. :tantrum:

I hate when that happens, anyways good luck guys.

retired opfinistic
08-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't know how you guys can live in Florida and have to face the possibility of your home being destroyed every summer? Hope you guys won't get hit hard this year...and as an out-of-towner, hope I don't miss anymore Phins games when the Dolphins games get moved to Saturday or Mondays, etc., due to hurricanes. DirecTV screws anyone who has the Ticket if games have to be rescheduled. :tantrum:Thanks for the concern :wink: but it's not as bad as the media hypes it. And if your home was built post Andrew it should hold up against the storm just fine. Cover your windows, buy lots of water, beer, ice, beer, canned fish, beer, cigarettes, beer, and beer and you're fine.

Oh yeah, don't forget the beer.

PassRush
08-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the concern :wink: but it's not as bad as the media hypes it. And if your home was built post Andrew it should hold up against the storm just fine. Cover your windows, buy lots of water, beer, ice, beer, canned fish, beer, cigarettes, beer, and beer and you're fine.

This is true

mor911
08-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the concern :wink: but it's not as bad as the media hypes it. And if your home was built post Andrew it should hold up against the storm just fine. Cover your windows, buy lots of water, beer, ice, beer, canned fish, beer, cigarettes, beer, and beer and you're fine.

While the home itself is usually ok, that doesn't count out the roofs, cars, and misc crap that get destroyed. It's a pain in my behind... The price I pay to live driving distance from the Dolphins. :dolphins:

Timmy54
08-01-2006, 04:03 PM
good lord, another year, another batch of storms

tucker
08-01-2006, 07:02 PM
i remember last year we went to the dolphins game the nite of the hurricane, came home when nobody was allowed on the roads and chilled in the house while the hurricane passed over us

NaboCane
08-01-2006, 07:10 PM
/Reverend Fin listens to Whitesnake playing in the background..."Here I go again..." :nono:

/me wonders if The Rev remembers Tawny Kittaen sprawled on the hood of a Jaguar...

:foundout:

Silverphin
08-01-2006, 07:16 PM
It starts.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0306W5+gif/115550W_sm.gif

Aw ****!

BlitPhinFan
08-01-2006, 07:17 PM
/me wonders if The Rev remembers Tawny Kittaen sprawled on the hood of a Jaguar...

:foundout:

You mean this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Whitesnake_Kitaen.JPG

DolphinDevil28
08-01-2006, 07:27 PM
If another serious storm comes to New Orleans this year, we're done.

You might as well just take us off the map and start south LA all over again.

BlitPhinFan
08-01-2006, 07:27 PM
:drool:

Hey, how you been Blit? Haven't seen you around much lately.

:lol: Glad I could help. I've been good. Work is keeping me very busy, but I have been around since training camp started almost every day.

How have you been, bro?

NaboCane
08-01-2006, 07:28 PM
You mean this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Whitesnake_Kitaen.JPG

:drool:

Hey, how you been Blit? Haven't seen you around much lately.

NaboCane
08-01-2006, 07:30 PM
:lol: Glad I could help. I've been good. Work is keeping me very busy, but I have been around since training camp started almost every day.

How have you been, bro?

I've had better years, to be frank. Lot of adversity. But I'll get through it. But hey, I've got a great avatar! :wink:

Hope to see you around!

BlitPhinFan
08-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I've had better years, to be frank. Lot of adversity. But I'll get through it. But hey, I've got a great avatar! :wink:

Hope to see you around!
Sorry to hear about the rough year. Stay strong. I hope everything gets better for you in a hurry.

:D It was my pleasure to work with you on making that avatar. Never met a more patient person in that respect. The pleasure was all mine.

BlitPhinFan
08-01-2006, 07:32 PM
If another serious storm comes to New Orleans this year, we're done.

You might as well just take us off the map and start south LA all over again.
I'll be praying for ya DD28. I hope it keeps that more westward direction or just dies out and goes away completely(My preferred choice).

DolphinDevil28
08-01-2006, 07:39 PM
I'll be praying for ya DD28. I hope it keeps that more westward direction or just dies out goes away completely(My preferred choice).

I appreciate the thought.

But it's not even about me or my home. I'm talking about the less-fortunate who lived in the hard-hit areas, and the fact that we can't take another tourism industry/economical hit.

The city would completely go under.

But I'm with you. I'm praying no serious storm comes anywhere near where Katrina went last year.

Metal Panda
08-01-2006, 10:57 PM
What's the big deal here, again?

Granted, the volume and intensity of hurricanes has increased the last two years, but why are Floridians acting like a tropical storm has never surfaced or ignoring the fact that so far, we're only on the very outer portion of the cone of error?

Metal Panda
08-01-2006, 11:01 PM

I've lived here all 25 years and before 2004, the only hurricane I'd ever been through was back in the late 90s, the OUTSKIRTS of wussy Hurricane Emily.

Florida didn't get directly hit all that often until recently, ignoring of course the dreadful Andrew in the early 90s.

Metal Panda
08-01-2006, 11:05 PM
I appreciate the thought.

But it's not even about me or my home. I'm talking about the less-fortunate who lived in the hard-hit areas, and the fact that we can't take another tourism industry/economical hit.

The city would completely go under.

But I'm with you. I'm praying no serious storm comes anywhere near where Katrina went last year.

Lousiana didn't exactly have it easy in 04 either. I know you all narrowly missed a Katrina then, so definitely wishing nothing happens to good ole LA this year. you're right, I shudder to think what would happen if they got hit again.

Coral Reefer
08-01-2006, 11:20 PM

Granted, the volume and intensity of hurricanes has increased the last two years, but why are Floridians acting like a tropical storm has never surfaced or ignoring the fact that so far, we're only on the very outer portion of the cone of error?

I don't know if you live down here or not but it is a big deal.

It's not about people being freaked out over a Tropical Storm. Trust me we could care less about Tropical storms.
The stress is high because people are shell shocked from last year. Just seeing a storm heading in this direction with plenty of time to develop is going to cause a little more stress now than it would have in the past.

You have to understand that last year was a friggin grind.
We were preparing for storms right up to the Holiday season last year. In addition there are still homes that have not had their roof's repaired yet. This brings me to the issues below.

Lets talk about just some of the home ownership issues.

Starting with Andrew Insurance companies started planning how they could get out of FL. completely.
They stopped many of them from refusing to grant Home Insurance but last year was brutal and the issues are raising once again.

In addition to the problems with getting and the price of Insurance many people are having problems getting insurance companies to pay for damage from the storms last year. There are still homes with no more than blue tarp roofs protecting their belongings because of delays from insurance companies paying. If a big storm were to hit now, you'd have a ton, an absolute ton of demolished homes.

Secondly, the Real Estate market here has stagnated. The storms of last year did not help. Many who have always thought about leaving S.FL. were pushed over the edge after last years onslaught. Adding more to the Real Estate market dilema and the Insurance issues.

I could go on but that should give you at least an idea of why people are a little more nervous to see any sign of a storm this year.

Metal Panda
08-01-2006, 11:33 PM
I don't know if you live down here or not but it is a big deal.

I've lived in Central Florida my entire life. Granted we often avoid the worst of things because we're so far inland, but I'm not an out of towner.

It's not about people being freaked out over a Tropical Storm. Trust me we could care less about Tropical storms.
The stress is high because people are shell shocked from last year. Just seeing a storm heading in this direction with plenty of time to develop is going to cause a little more stress now than it would have in the past.

Last year? 2004 was a hell of a lot worse than last year, if we're talking about storms that actually LANDED in Florida. in terms of overall destruction across the nation, well.....I won't argue Katrina.

You have to understand that last year was a friggin grind.
We were preparing for storms right up to the Holiday season last year. In addition there are still homes that have not had their roof's repaired yet. This brings me to the issues below.

Lets talk about just some of the home ownership issues.

Starting with Andrew Insurance companies started planning how they could get out of FL. completely.
They stopped many of them from refusing to grant Home Insurance but last year was brutal and the issues are raising once again.

In addition to the problems with getting and the price of Insurance many people are having problems getting insurance companies to pay for damage from the storms last year. There are still homes with no more than blue tarp roofs protecting their belongings because of delays from insurance companies paying.

Secondly, the Real Estate market here has stagnated. The storms of last year did not help. Many who have always thought about leaving S.FL. were pushed over the edge after last years onslaught. Adding more to the Real Estate market dilema and the Insurance issues.

I could go on but that should give you at least an idea of why people are a little more nervous to see any sign of a storm this year.

I think you have misunderstood me.

We all in Florida learned to take storms seriously, but the fact is, there are always going to be tropical storms in the summer, of varying quantity and intensity. We do not need to freak out and panic every time one sprouts up, just to monitor it and react as necessary. It never hurts to stock up and be prepared, but some of the people that live around me act like it's an unbelievable feat when a new storm emerges. It's an inherent part of a Florida summer.

I admit I'll be freaking out with everybody if this does turn out to be a big deal, but instead of panicking early, let's wait until we know just a wee bit more. again--hurricanes/tropical storm warnings are an inherent part of our summers here.

Central Florida was lucky last year--Wilma was nothing over here, and that's really all we got. I know the rest of Florida wasn't so lucky. But my point is, just because a tropical storm forms doesn't mean it's necessarily going to plow through Florida. The 5-day projections are never very accurate, it is too far a window of error.

Right now, even though I know the 5-day projections are faulty, it isn't yet even projected to hit Florida--that big cone shows the margin of error, not where the hurricane is supposed to directly impact. Of course there are weather effects on surrounding areas as well.

In summation, we should be thankful that so far, we're only on three named storms and it is August. Want to know how many we were on by this time last year? 7.

Coral Reefer
08-01-2006, 11:36 PM
I think you have misunderstood me.

We all in Florida learned to take storms seriously, but the fact is, there are always going to be tropical storms in the summer, of varying quantity and intensity. We do not need to freak out and panic every time one sprouts up, just to monitor it and react as necessary. .

I'm simply offering you examples of why the public is indeed a little more nervous of hearing of any storm this year as opposed to other years. Yes we all know we are going to deal with this issue every year. However, after you have a big year in which the public actually has to deal with much stress, work and damage from actual storms hitting it's natural that people are going to be a little more sensitive to the danger.

Not to mention the point I menitoned about the high numbers of homes that still have damaged roofs. If they get hit again, their homes are in deep trouble.

DolphinDevil28
08-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Lousiana didn't exactly have it easy in 04 either. I know you all narrowly missed a Katrina then, so definitely wishing nothing happens to good ole LA this year. you're right, I shudder to think what would happen if they got hit again.

Thanks man.

I actuallity, I hope NO gulf coast state experiences a major storm this year.

I know that's probably not realistic, but that's what I pray.

Coral Reefer
08-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks man.

We could certainly all use a break after last year.
Our Real Estate market will be crippled if we have a big storm and it may give the insurance companies that last reason to move out.

As for New Orleans you're talking about the real possibility of entire city facing a good chance at extinction if hit again.

Best wishes to you DD.

DolphinDevil28
08-01-2006, 11:49 PM
We could certainly all use a break after last year.
Our Real Estate market will be crippled if we have a big storm and it may give the insurance companies that last reason to move out.

As for New Orleans you're talking about the real possibility of entire city facing a good chance at extinction if hit again.

Best wishes to you DD.

Yeah man, thanks.

Like I said before, if another major cat 4 or higher storm comes to south LA, you can just wipe us off the map and start all over.

Yeah, the outskirts of town can't afford another flood or high winds.

But, if our downtown city encounters another tourism/economical hit like it did with Katrina, then we won't have enough money to pay for new levees and such.

Keep in mind, please, that Mayor Ray Nagin is an excellent man. He is a leader, and he is doing his best to prepare our city for another mess.

It was the state-wide government last year which proved faulty. We could use a rehaul there.

But Nagin is a good man.

Metal Panda
08-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks man.

Realistic or not, it's a nice dream.

It's all so random....

Metal Panda
08-01-2006, 11:50 PM
I'm simply offering you examples of why the public is indeed a little more nervous of hearing of any storm this year as opposed to other years. Yes we all know we are going to deal with this issue every year. However, after you have a big year in which the public actually has to deal with much stress, work and damage from actual storms hitting it's natural that people are going to be a little more sensitive to the danger.

Not to mention the point I menitoned about the high numbers of homes that still have damaged roofs. If they get hit again, their homes are in deep trouble.

Nobody is doubting that if something actually hits, many will be in trouble.

Again, my thing is that I don't think people should panic at the mere FORMING of a tropical storm. Watch them and track them, panic when we actually have some semblance of an idea of where it might be going. Always be prepared, of course, but prepared and "panic" are not the same thing.

I'm still curious as to why you point to last year as so bad. In terms of number of storms, of course it trumped 2004, but as far as the number of storms that hit Florida, and how much of Florida got impacted, 2004 was far far worse. Mostly Katrina/Wilma were really the only two to majorly impact Florida last year, whereas a few other storms minorly grazed the west tip of the Panhandle. In 04, look at all the storms that actually HIT Florida.

BE GOOD
08-01-2006, 11:50 PM
The seasons been so quiet i'm worried, because im going on a cruise in 2 weeks and im sure its going to get active.

Coral Reefer
08-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Nobody is doubting that if something actually hits, many will be in trouble.

Again, my thing is that I don't think people should panic at the mere FORMING of a tropical storm. Watch them and track them, panic when we actually have some semblance of an idea of where it might be going. Always be prepared, of course, but prepared and "panic" are not the same thing.

I'm still curious as to why you point to last year as so bad. In terms of number of storms, of course it trumped 2004, but as far as the number of storms that hit Florida, and how much of Florida got impacted, 2004 was far far worse. Mostly Katrina/Wilma were really the only two to majorly impact Florida last year, whereas a few other storms minorly grazed the west tip of the Panhandle. In 04, look at all the storms that actually HIT Florida.

It's simple, because the damage caused by last year was much worse than the damage caused in 2004.

I believe the difference in perception between you and I has to do with the region of FL. were talking about IMO. Last year for us was brutal while South West/Central FL. had it worse in 2004.

Metal Panda
08-01-2006, 11:54 PM
The seasons been so quiet i'm worried, because im going on a cruise in 2 weeks and im sure its going to get active.

It'll probably pick up but prognosticators predicted already that while this will still be a dangerous season, still elevated beyond pre-2004 levels, that it should be far less active than 05. And normally in terms of NUMBER of storms, the prognosticators get it fairly right.

d-day
08-01-2006, 11:58 PM

my mom lost her roof in 2004, so yeah the anxiety level increases when a newly formed storm has ft myers in it's potential path - my place caught a break but sharing that experience with her was not enjoyable - nothing worse watching your mom suffer...

DolphinDevil28
08-01-2006, 11:59 PM
my mom lost her roof in 2004, so yeah the anxiety level increases when a newly formed storm has ft myers in it's potential path - my place caught a break but sharing that experience with her was not enjoyable - nothing worse watching your mom suffer...

How you been, D?

(ain't it funny how both of us call each other, "D?" :lol: )

Here's hoping no storm comes either of our ways. :ffic:

d-day
08-02-2006, 12:00 AM
How you been, D?

(ain't it funny how both of us call each other, "D?" :lol: )

Here's hoping no storm comes either of our ways. :ffic:

i thought we called each other dd :lol:

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 12:04 AM

Whatever you want.

All I know, is on November 12th, we will call each other, "drinking partners."

d-day
08-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Whatever you want.

All I know, is on November 12th, we will call each other, "drinking partners."

you bet :hi5:

...as long as we're doing it in the gutter :up:

Coral Reefer
08-02-2006, 12:09 AM

Speaking of DD's thanks for passing along that link the other day.

Very impressive. :D

d-day
08-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Speaking of DD's thanks for passing along that link the other day.

Very impressive. :D

:hi5: you bet - only wish i took the pics... :lol:

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 12:12 AM
you bet :hi5:

...as long as we're doing it in the gutter :up:

I don't know if FFIC and Marty will be up to that.

Oh well. If not, their loss. :lol:

I can't wait till that day. I'm bringing my sister, my best friend and my uncle.

d-day
08-02-2006, 12:17 AM

I don't know if FFIC and Marty will be up to that.

Oh well. If not, their loss. :lol:

I can't wait till that day. I'm bringing my sister, my best friend and my uncle.

looks like megatron is back in too... :wink: - and i think there are 2 tix still available - we need to make a finheaven pact - "nov 12, gutter or bust" - if johny and marty aren't in, we'll have to give them a lil push... :wink:

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 12:25 AM
looks like megatron is back in too... :wink: - and i think there are 2 tix still available - we need to make a finheaven pact - "nov 12, gutter or bust" - if johny and marty aren't in, we'll have to give them a lil push... :wink:

yeah.

The only thing is, I'm not sitting in the same section with y'all.

But I WILL be tailgating and drinking with you, before and after, and we will communicate during the game to see what we think about what's happening.

We're going to be there bright and early, so we'll have plenty of time to drink and have fun before kick-off.

d-day
08-02-2006, 12:28 AM
yeah.

The only thing is, I'm not sitting in the same section with y'all.

But I WILL be tailgating and drinking with you, before and after, and we will communicate during the game to see what we think about what's happening.

We're going to be there bright and early, so we'll have plenty of time to drink and have fun before kick-off.

how's 8 am sound... :lol:

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 12:30 AM
how's 8 am sound... :lol:

I am NOT afraid to crack open a brew or some Jack at 8 in the A.M.

Just ask my buds who I tailgate at LSU games with.

Mike13
08-02-2006, 01:36 AM
don't know how you guys can live in Florida and have to face the possibility of your home being destroyed every summer?

This house is built like a ****ing rock, if it can survive Andrew I think we're fine I appreciate the concern. Good luck to DD as well, although its still a minor storm at this point I hope it doesnt come close and the traffic going to school is going to be a *****(The National Hurricane center is @ FIU)

King Felix
08-02-2006, 05:59 AM
Good luck to everyone, heres to havin a safe hurricane season :ffic:

Alex44
08-02-2006, 06:05 AM
Good luck to everyone, heres to havin a safe hurricane season :ffic:

Hurricanes in South Florida are pretty safe as long as you dont leave your house, and they are great to peek our your door and look at, man its amazing the way the wind tosses everything around

What isnt cool is the 3 weeks without power last year after Wilma.......or maybe it was katrina....dont remember

cnc66
08-02-2006, 06:11 AM
Keep in mind, please, that Mayor Ray Nagin is an excellent man. He is a leader, and he is doing his best to prepare our city for another mess.

It was the state-wide government last year which proved faulty. We could use a rehaul there.

But Nagin is a good man.

hahahaha, the efr abandons the city's needy, leaves them stranded and calls it the "chocolate" city to garner the black vote...unbelievable...you guys deserve what you get..

retired opfinistic
08-02-2006, 10:12 AM
While the home itself is usually ok, that doesn't count out the roofs, cars, and misc crap that get destroyed. It's a pain in my behind... The price I pay to live driving distance from the Dolphins. :dolphins:Yeah, I bought a convertible last year and was worried I'd come out and find it permanantly 'converted'. The roof was fine but a hunk of tree dented the trunk!:(

mor911
08-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I bought a convertible last year and was worried I'd come out and find it permanantly 'converted'. The roof was fine but a hunk of tree dented the trunk!:(
A tree fell on my car too :shakeno:

Spray Mucus
08-02-2006, 10:45 AM
A tree fell on my car too :shakeno:

on the Delorean?

mor911
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
on the Delorean?:yes:

Gonzo
08-02-2006, 12:36 PM
:yes:

must be hard to find parts.

Seriously though, good luck to you all down there. I am really hoping it isn't a bad season. My best friend is still living in a FEMA trailer in Slidell, LA. I went through there in June and boats were still stuck in trees and appliances were still hanging from the halves of houses that still stood. DD is right, I can't imagine what another hit would do.

Spray Mucus
08-02-2006, 01:00 PM
:yes:

oh no! not on the chick magnet! Well at least you still have your boyish charm!

Metal Panda
08-02-2006, 08:48 PM

Again, the point of what I said was not to suggest that we shouldn't take hurricanes seriously, I just felt some in this thread were reacting as if merely because the storm forms, it will inherently hit us. We're going to have to get used to it, there's probably going to be at least 14 or so more of these this year.

I take them all seriously, I prefer to panic more the closer we get. I'm just happy I live inland.

Metal Panda
08-02-2006, 08:50 PM
hahahaha, the efr abandons the city's needy, leaves them stranded and calls it the "chocolate" city to garner the black vote...unbelievable...you guys deserve what you get..

what the hell kind of thing is that to say?

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 09:00 PM

Marty, just want you to clear this one up for me real quick.

What do you mean by that?

Mike13
08-02-2006, 09:22 PM
What isnt cool is the 3 weeks without power last year after Wilma.......or maybe it was katrina....dont remember

Well both caused power outages but it was hot and humid as hell when Katrina hit. There was a cold front following Wilma so it wasn't that bad.

cnc66
08-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Marty, just want you to clear this one up for me real quick.

What do you mean by that?

you betcha...you elected him again, you deserve what you get. He abandoned you and you STILL put him back... he threw the race card, called you the chocolate city, left THOUSANDS stranded among armed thugs and you put him back in office. Marion Berry and DC ain't got a thing on you guys.

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
you betcha...you elected him again, you deserve what you get. He abandoned you and you STILL put him back... he threw the race card, called you the chocolate city, left THOUSANDS stranded among armed thugs and you put him back in office. Marion Berry and DC ain't got a thing on you guys.

Well, first off, "I" didn't elect him. I live in Jefferson Parish, not Orleans Parish. I can't vote in the Mayoral race. I live about 15 minutes from downtown.

Second, and trust me when I tell you this Marty. Ray Nagin is a very, very good guy. Very good.

It wasn't so much that he threw the race card with the "chocolate city" comment. Throwing the race card is usually when you involve another race other than your own in a way of saying they disrespect you or something like that.

I am not making an excuse for that comment, but I will tell you that you have to understand how much pressure and stress the guy was under when he said that. It was stupid. Yes. But how you interpret it is not what he meant.

I live in the area, Marty, and I think I have enough knowledge about the situation to definitively tell you that Kathleen Blanco and the state government failed our city more than Nagin did. Nagin doesn't have nearly as much pull or power as the state does, and there's only so much he could have done.
Blanco was the most passive, non-committal "leader" I've ever seen in a crisis situation.

A huge reason Nagin was re-elected, is the fact that people are FED UP with Blanco's lackadasical approach, and Nagin does not like Blanco at all. AT ALL. He's going to do his best to try to get a true leader into power at the state level so we can have some action if another storm emerges.

His opponent, Mich Landrieu, another nice man, had nowhere near the economical prowess that Nagin has and does not know exactly what the city needs to get back on its feet like Nagin does.

...Oh yeah, Nagin's not a crackhead like Marion Berry. :lol:

cnc66
08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
sorry DD, we will just have to disagree. I saw what I saw in real time, he abandoned his city and citizens to thugs. HE got out.

Gonzo
08-02-2006, 09:48 PM

Did he get 100% of the vote? Nope, only 38%. The biggest problem was the fact that he had 23 challengers--most of whom were unknowns or had no experience except for the lt. gov., which spread the votes out tremendously. I'm not defending the guy, but I certainly won't say that "they deserve what they get." Also, perhaps a little bit much was expected out of a mayor with no federal aid in the poorest state in the country.

My friend didn't vote for him. Did he deserve to lose everything? Does he deserve to again? Sorry, even those who did vote for him don't deserve what is still going on down there.

Metal Panda
08-02-2006, 10:42 PM

Just...stop. This is pseudo-intellectual crap.

You have managed to marginalize an entire population, including those whom voted against Nagin, and placed them under the same umbrella.

Do you enjoy this simpleton line of thinking? The hurricane's arrival had nothing to do with whom was in office.

Using your logic a (disputed) majority of voters voted a piece of crap like Dubya Bush into office...TWICE. So I guess the WHOLE COUNTRY deserves suffering, even those like me whom voted against him on both occasions, right?

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Just...stop. This is pseudo-intellectual crap.

You have managed to marginalize an entire population, including those whom voted against Nagin, and placed them under the same umbrella.

Do you enjoy this simpleton line of thinking? The hurricane's arrival had nothing to do with whom was in office.

Using your logic a (disputed) majority of voters voted a piece of crap like Dubya Bush into office...TWICE. So I guess the WHOLE COUNTRY deserves suffering, even those like me whom voted against him on both occasions, right?

:sigh:

Everything always turns into Bush-bashing.

Alex44
08-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Well both caused power outages but it was hot and humid as hell when Katrina hit. There was a cold front following Wilma so it wasn't that bad.

Which one happend in October? Because I remember not having power then....

Metal Panda
08-02-2006, 11:05 PM
:sigh:

Everything always turns into Bush-bashing.

That wasn't why I brought it up. Do you remember when Bin Laden implicated American citizens for America's wrongdoings and insinuated we deserved our fate due to the fact that we "vote in our leaders", despite the 50 million people whom didn't vote for him? How does that differ from Marty's assertions? I'm not comparing Marty to Bin Laden whatsoever, that would be ridiculous, I'm just saying if we hold Marty's argument true, one could use the same slippery slope to appease what Bin Laden said as well....and I don't think anyone in their right mind took THAT seriously.

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 11:07 PM
That wasn't why I brought it up. Do you remember when Bin Laden implicated American citizens for America's wrongdoings and insinuated we deserved our fate due to the fact that we "vote in our leaders", despite the 50 million people whom didn't vote for him? How does that differ from Marty's assertions? I'm not comparing Marty to Bin Laden whatsoever, that would be ridiculous, I'm just saying if we hold Marty's argument true, one could use the same slippery slope to appease what Bin Laden said as well....and I don't think anyone in their right mind took THAT seriously.

I see what you mean.

But you still squeezed in that little jab at Bush. :lol:

Metal Panda
08-02-2006, 11:09 PM
I see what you mean.

But you still squeezed in that little jab at Bush. :lol:

I have to, the anger from the first election hasn't subsided yet. :)

Dolphin1184
08-02-2006, 11:14 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
The Cone has move down significantly!!! :)

Metal Panda
08-02-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't trust the 5-day reports. At one point, Jeanne was supposed to just die out at sea....that didn't happen :(

still it's positive to see they now don't expect it to be a 'cane.

Dolphin1184
08-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Even if you just look at the 3 day projection, we are now on the tip of the cone. Of course, theres a reason why the cone is that wide.... and of course the weather people don't know diddley squat :D

Metal Panda
08-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Even if you just look at the 3 day projection, we are now on the tip of the cone. Of course, theres a reason why the cone is that wide.... and of course the weather people don't know diddley squat :D

well, no, I mean I respect the meteorlogists/forecasters immensely, projections have come a long way. years ago they weren't capable of a lot of what they're doing now. But nature is still largely difficult to predict. So on both sides of the coin, it always drives me nuts when people cheer when we're not in the cone on a 5-day forecast as it doesn't guarantee we won't be in a day, but likewise those who are convinced we're getting washed away because we ARE in it one day do so as well.

When we were initially in Ivan's cone, my friend INSISTED that it was going to come through Central Florida, and he kept having conversations with people saying "ohhhhh, it's coming" as if he was an expert. And it did come, but not to OUR part of Florida like he insisted :)