PDA

View Full Version : Madden to Go Into Hall of Fame As Coach

BAMAPHIN 22
08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Before the video games, the athlete's foot commercials, the announcing booth and the six-legged Thanksgiving turkeys, John Madden was a football coach.

And, as Madden the announcer might put it, he was a pretty darn good one.
On Saturday, Madden will enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame 28 years after coaching his final game, recognition some might say is long overdue for a man that has become, especially for PlayStation lovers, the face and voice of the NFL.

"It means everything to me," said Madden, who was elected by the Seniors Committee. "It's just something that humbles you and excites you more than you've ever been excited."

Madden was only 32 when Al Davis hired him to coach the Oakland Raiders in 1969. Before leaving the sideline for the announcing booth in 1978, Madden led Oakland to a 103-32-7 regular-season record and a victory in the 1977 Super Bowl. Oakland never had a losing record under Madden, winning seven division titles and making the playoffs eight times.

Current broadcast partner Al Michaels likens Madden's short career as a coach to that of Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax. Only Hall of Fame coaches George Halas and Curly Lambeau reached 100 wins faster than Madden. His .759 regular-season winning percentage stands as the highest ever among coaches with 100 career victories.

And his Raiders teams stand as some of the most successful, and colorful, in league history.

With players such as Ken Stabler, Fred Biletnikoff, Gene Upshaw, Art Shell and Willie Brown, the Silver and Black had plenty of talent and maybe even more attitude. Even Davis, the team's owner, was brash, proclaiming his mantra to "Just win, baby."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2259791

dominizzo
08-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Thnx BAma!! You Daaa MAnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

ganooch
08-01-2006, 09:32 PM
funny thing is that i heard somewhere that there were a number of raiders players who played under madden who said that they would have won more superbowls if he wasn't the coach. I will try to find out where i heard this but I am not making it up.

Prophet
08-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Madden is very deserving of the HOF....even though his love affair with Favre gets incredibly annoying.

playmaker1
08-01-2006, 10:49 PM
I guess he deserves it. Congrats coach.

But don't use the "ask Madden feature" on Madden, he is alwasy wrong

PressCoverage
08-01-2006, 11:20 PM
funny thing is that i heard somewhere that there were a number of raiders players who played under madden who said that they would have won more superbowls if he wasn't the coach. I will try to find out where i heard this but I am not making it up.

well, whoever said that is moronic... john madden was the perfect coach for that group, and the '76 Raiders team was among the best teams of all-time (despite stealing a playoff game over the patriots with 2 criminal calls)... the 1980 Raiders champion were essentially Madden's boys as well...

Let's also not forget how they routinely dominated our Dolphins for the better part of the 70s and into the 80s...

Mike13
08-02-2006, 12:27 AM
He was a good coach, he deserves it.

ih8brady
08-02-2006, 01:19 AM
His record as a coach earns him the spot, but he sucks as an announcer. I'd hate to see his acceptance speech.

It's great to be here...And I'm here, so that's great! But if I wasn't here, then that wouldn't be so great, but if I was here like Brett Favre, I could go all the way!