PDA

View Full Version : Bill O'Reiley is my media hero

LeftCoastPhin
04-14-2003, 12:52 PM
I'm not a big news guy because of all the self censored spew networks pass off as news and frankly I was kind of self absorbed which I think can happen to the best of us.

Anyway, The O'Reiley Factor has single handedly changed my outlook on the news and makes me an interested American again. This guy has been around for about 25-30 years but watching Fox News' coverage of the war put him on my radar. I recognized the name and asked myself, where have I heard that name before? Then it hit me, I read his candid interview in Playboy about a year ago and thought he was a cool guy. So, now everyday I watch his show, The O'Reiley Factor on Fox News Channel. It airs 5 pm Pacific Time so I can only guess it comes on 8 pm Eastern.

O'Reiley is a no nonsense, "no spin" kind of guy and I have become enamored with his work in a very short time. IMO he is just what American needs. I bought and read his book last night and thought it was great. I encourage all of you to check out his show and see what YOU think. It's not for everyone, as he can be brash, but IMO if you believe in common sense and the truth, he is for you.

PhinPhan1227
04-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Oh....YOU'RE the guy who reads the articles in Playboy!! In the words of Joey from Friends..."You do KNOW there are naked women in there right?"....:)

LeftCoastPhin
04-14-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Oh....YOU'RE the guy who reads the articles in Playboy!! In the words of Joey from Friends..."You do KNOW there are naked women in there right?"....:)

LOL, yea, there are REALLY some great articles in Playboy. Granted, they are fairly to the left where I lean to the right, they are still very informative and every now and then will give the right a fair shake.

I loved the article on The war on Drugs and how the FAA is a worthless corrupt organization.

BTW, What do you think of O'Reiley 1227?

PhinPhan1227
04-14-2003, 01:04 PM
Worth watching, but just like everyone else, he's a commentator, so everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. He does try and keep things on a ratioanl train of thought though.

LeftCoastPhin
04-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Worth watching, but just like everyone else, he's a commentator, so everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. He does try and keep things on a ratioanl train of thought though.

Right, he is only a commentator. However, he is one of the few if not the only one that will tackle the big issues and the big fish without fear of being slapped or black balled like the other network anchors. That is why he has gained my respect.

PhinPhan1227
04-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Right wing commentators are getting more air time than they were...but I think that's a reflection of the Networks finally following the dollar, rather than their ideology.

LeftCoastPhin
04-14-2003, 01:14 PM
Right wing commentators are getting more air time than they were...but I think that's a reflection of the Networks finally following the dollar, rather than their ideology.

Hmmmm, I cant argue with that regarding the Networks. O'Reiley finally has the backing of a company with a truck load of money and he's making them more.

However, I believe or want to believe that O'Reily is sincere and has just happened to hook up with a powerful guy like Rupport Murdoch and Fox, after perserving and being censored by CBS among others.

PhinPhan1227
04-14-2003, 01:24 PM
Don't get me wrong...I have no doubt he's sincere! I'm just talking about the fact that there's finally a little balance in the media with Fox giving the right wing viewpoint which has been burried up till now by the left wing NBC/CBS/ABC networks.

t2thejz
04-14-2003, 03:37 PM
I think hes alright i perfer hannity and colmes

themole
04-14-2003, 04:31 PM
I like all of fox!

Shep....he's a dolphan.

John Gibson...dry sense of humor...cool.

The Factor...O'Reiley is an ass...in a cool way.

Neil Cavuto / this is an economist that will jump your case. Really grilling the French.

Hannity not Colmes...If I wanted the lefts point of view i'd watch CNN but give Colmes his due... he is supporting our troops and is sincere about it.

Even Greta...Now that she is sporting a new head.

LeftCoastPhin
04-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by t2thejz
I think hes alright i perfer hannity and colmes

I also like Hannity and Colmes, it's fun to see Hannity punk Colmes. Colmes is ok but cant hold Hannity's jock.

I also like Shep and Greta.

I watched CNN's war coverage for about a week till Aaron Brown put me to sleep. What's with this guy? He is anchoring the most exciting news of the year and he acts like he's covering golf. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Fox rules! :evil:

iceblizzard69
04-14-2003, 04:43 PM
I don't watch news but I have seen O'Reilly a few times. Although I think he is funny and sometimes right, he pisses me off with his family values crap and his attack on the rap industry. He is right on quite a few things, but he should just shut up when he's talking about music.

themole
04-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
I also like Hannity and Colmes, it's fun to see Hannity punk Colmes. Colmes is ok but cant hold Hannity's jock.

I also like Shep and Greta.

I watched CNN's war coverage for about a week till Aaron Brown put me to sleep. What's with this guy? He is anchoring the most exciting news of the year and he acts like he's covering golf. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Fox rules! :evil:

Let me hear ya say...AMEN!

Ohh...Aaron needs to take Mr. Rogers place.

LeftCoastPhin
04-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I don't watch news but I have seen O'Reilly a few times. Although I think he is funny and sometimes right, he pisses me off with his family values crap and his attack on the rap industry. He is right on quite a few things, but he should just shut up when he's talking about music.

I can totally get where you're coming from Ice, and it's a very grey issue. It's not black and white as much he makes it out to be......but for the most part he is correct.

I like Em's music but no way in hell is my kid gonna listen to it unless he is as responsible as you appear to be Ice, then I still will be monitoring closely. O'Reilly doesn't want to censor anyone but he's right when he says lots of rap and Eminem are tasteless and morally damaging.

But, that's the price for a free society. They definatley shouldn't be censored, one would just hope they could quit rapping about raping mothers and killing cops.

baccarat
04-14-2003, 08:12 PM
I NEVER miss the O'Reilly Factor(except during the war b/c it only comes on at 8 and I usually catch the 11 O'clock version). He's smart, open-minded, holds people accountable, asks the tough questions about important issues, does good journalism(9-11 charity fraud, that FSU terrorist proffesor-forgot his name) and does it with a good sense of humor. His two political books, The O'Reilly Factor and The No Spin Zone, were good also.

baccarat
04-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin

I bought and read his book last night and thought it was great.

Which book? :confused:

baccarat
04-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Hannity and Colmes is a good show but I prefer Alan Colmes out of the two.

themole
04-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by booyeah_
I NEVER miss the O'Reilly Factor(except during the war b/c it only comes on at 8 and I usually catch the 11 O'clock version). He's smart, open-minded, holds people accountable, asks the tough questions about important issues, does good journalism(9-11 charity fraud, that FSU terrorist proffesor-forgot his name) and does it with a good sense of humor. His two political books, The O'Reilly Factor and The No Spin Zone, were good also.

booyeah...just a point of clearifaction, it was not an FSU prof.. That guy was at another school way down in south Fl.

baccarat
04-14-2003, 08:30 PM
You're right. It's the University of South Florida.

iceblizzard69
04-14-2003, 10:28 PM
That guy from USF was also a main reason why Bush won the state of Florida, he raised votes in the Muslim community and they were people who probably wouldn't normally vote Republican. So you can say a terrorist supporter helped the man whose goal is to rid the world of terror. It is pretty interesting if you think about it.

PhinPhan1227
04-15-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by themole
booyeah...just a point of clearifaction, it was not an FSU prof.. That guy was at another school way down in south Fl.

One of those..."huh" things....USF is in Central Florida, NOT South Florida. Apparently they don't even teach geography in Universities anymore. Either that, or the same council that determines membership in NFL Divisions also names State schools...:rolleyes:

themole
04-15-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
That guy from USF was also a main reason why Bush won the state of Florida, he raised votes in the Muslim community and they were people who probably wouldn't normally vote Republican. So you can say a terrorist supporter helped the man whose goal is to rid the world of terror. It is pretty interesting if you think about it.

That is one of the most asinine statements I've ever read!:goof:

themole
04-15-2003, 05:10 PM
:rofl: Neal Cavuto, on fox news speaking on the decline in ratings of the anti war Hollywood types: Payback's a bitch! This guy is something else.:lol:

Migs182005
04-15-2003, 08:22 PM
O-Riley is the man. I watch him as much as I can. He has a real good grasp on things, unlike other journalist (cough) Peter Arnett (cough).

O-Riley baby!

P4E
04-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Your loyal correspondent Phan4Ever attended USF for three years and was, in fact, the director of the concert board there (known at that time as The Office of Student Programming). My fellow students and the university were kind enough to provide me an office and a budget and a staff, all of which were directed toward the critical mission of letting me hook up with vast numbers of coeds.

I had so much fun I hooked up with everything but a degree, but I phinished that later at George Mason University -- while working for the pre-eminent Republican polling firm, Public Opinion Strategies. Thus, I'm with you all on rejecting the liberalism of CNN, etc.:)

themole
04-19-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Phan4Ever
Your loyal correspondent Phan4Ever attended USF for three years and was, in fact, the director of the concert board there (known at that time as The Office of Student Programming). My fellow students and the university were kind enough to provide me an office and a budget and a staff, all of which were directed toward the critical mission of letting me hook up with vast numbers of coeds.

I had so much fun I hooked up with everything but a degree, but I phinished that later at George Mason University -- while working for the pre-eminent Republican polling firm, Public Opinion Strategies. Thus, I'm with you all on rejecting the liberalism of CNN, etc.:)

Good for you P4E.:up:The tide has certainly changed on the liberial press, We can thank Rupert Murdoch for giving us Fox news and forcing the remaining news agencies more to the center. The big three are loosing viewers daily and are having to rethink their format.

The extreme right would be considered centrist or a little right of center 50 years ago.

baccarat
04-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Phan4Ever

Did you know Dr. Sami Al-Arian?

P4E
04-20-2003, 02:45 AM
I was there and gone before the good Dr. Sami arrived. I do recall that in my time there some other professor -- an avowed communist -- was on the faculty and causing quite a stir. When some Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade jackasses spray painted slogans on university property, he said he would take "political responsibility" for the act.

Actually, I have no problem with the presence of a communist on a university faculty. It is one perspective that can be believed and embraced and taught about, and I have full faith that it will be ignored. Any university that has TWO communists on its faculty is overdoing it, because that would be disproportionate to any measure of the ideology's significance or merit.

The line Dr. Sami crossed has nothing to do with communism, of course. It is alleged that he was raising funds to be provided to organizations deemed to be "terrorist" per our laws and state department assessments, and if that is accurate, he can rot in a cell with full tenure.