PDA

View Full Version : anyone here work in TV or Radio?

Slappy8800
08-02-2006, 12:43 AM
id like to pick your brain if ya do.

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Broadcast journalism.

What ya got?

I worked at CNN Sports for a summer, interned at the New Orleans ABC affiliate, and I currently work at the LSU Athletic Department for electronic information.

Be glad to give any info.

Coral Reefer
08-02-2006, 12:52 AM
id like to pick your brain if ya do.

Worked on the Ad Agency side of the TV business and also with Direct Response TV campaigns.

My wife works in Radio.

If you have some specific quesitons PM me and I'll give any insight I have.

Slappy8800
08-02-2006, 01:11 AM
ok obviously I want to do something in sports..my college doesnt have a radio station..we do have a live TV show that is broadcast over the internet but is there anyway else i can get some kind of experience/training aside from begging for internships?

at one time i was told to go to my local access channel and buy some time and do my own show but i never looked into it..should I? should i startup a website or something?

Slappy8800
08-02-2006, 01:12 AM
also is it worth it to do like specific equipment training courses?

Quelonio
08-02-2006, 01:18 AM
I do... It's mexican TV, I am an editor at the biggest TV group in MExico... Televisa (not to proud of that, but politics aside it is a pretty cool acomplishment at 22).

What do you want to do? be a commentator, or a behind the camera guy?

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 01:20 AM
ok obviously I want to do something in sports..my college doesnt have a radio station..we do have a live TV show that is broadcast over the internet but is there anyway else i can get some kind of experience/training aside from begging for internships?

at one time i was told to go to my local access channel and buy some time and do my own show but i never looked into it..should I? should i startup a website or something?

K, the way I got the experience I have, WAS begging for internships.

I got in good with a friend at CNN, and he let me work there for a summer in the Sports department. Same thing with the New Orleans ABC station. You just have to show off your stuff.

Print multiple resumes, and send them all around. If you feel you need to boost that resume, like you said, either start a web site or a blog somewhere. If you have good writing skills, you'll get noticed.

Just try to work your way up. Start with something small, put it on a resume, and it'll be sure to impress someone.

For instance, (and this is NOT bragging...) I blog at mostvaluablenetwork.com/dolphins. But AOL.com is starting an NFL page and they want bloggers for every team during the season.
They recruited me to be the Dolphins blogger this year, and they are paying.

So, it may take some time, but you just gotta start with something small and work your way up.

Slappy8800
08-02-2006, 01:22 AM
quelonio. id love to be the host,play by play, commentator but ill do anything to starts

ive been reading up on starting my own streaming radio station....anyone know anything about that?

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 01:24 AM
quelonio. id love to be the host,play by play, commentator but ill do anything to starts

ive been reading up on starting my own streaming radio station....anyone know anything about that?

You have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

That's the best advice I can give you.

You mentioned starting a web space earlier. I'd suggest doing that, and putting it on a resume along with trying to get an internship, even with a small radio station or something.

Small things lead to big things. Just be patient.

Quelonio
08-02-2006, 01:28 AM

I don't think being a behind camera guy is a way to get to be a host or play by play dude. I think you might want to try journalism school, and internships through it for that. If you are an editor or director, my thinking is you'll continue to be so, or if not, move up but to be a producer or something like htat.

Maybe if you become a writer first.

Slappy8800
08-02-2006, 01:30 AM
You have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

That's the best advice I can give you.

You mentioned starting a web space earlier. I'd suggest doing that, and putting it on a resume along with trying to get an internship, even with a small radio station or something.

Small things lead to big things. Just be patient.

i usually do have patience but, its not so much im impatient, im just more anxious to get goin...ive wanted to do this all my life....ive wanted to start up a website but really have no idea what content to put on it. i had an idea of like a fan's take on everyday sports headlines with some friends of mine so that they can cover baseball and basketball but i dunno i just felt like its been done before.

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 01:37 AM
i usually do have patience but, its not so much im impatient, im just more anxious to get goin...ive wanted to do this all my life....ive wanted to start up a website but really have no idea what content to put on it. i had an idea of like a fan's take on everyday sports headlines with some friends of mine so that they can cover baseball and basketball but i dunno i just felt like its been done before.

All of us in the journalism industry are anxious.

What do you like? Football? (obviously)...Hoops?

Start a page including the draft. Invite bloggers for each team. Trust me, people like that kind of stuff.

It shows them that you have the drive to start your own site, as well as the writing knowledge to create your own content.

The best thing would be to create a resume, then send it to papers or news stations and try to get an internship.

It sounds a lot harder than it is. It's really not that hard if you find a guy who likes you, and then all kind of doors open up after you get an internship.

Slappy8800
08-02-2006, 01:51 AM
my first passion is hockey.

im interning now for a weekly paper covering local sports events and I am handing my resume to a friend of the family that works for the New Jersey Devils hockey team so i guess the ball is rolling.

Thinking about this website thing makes me want to do it again...i think i will...thanks for the help dudes.

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 01:57 AM
my first passion is hockey.

im interning now for a weekly paper covering local sports events and I am handing my resume to a friend of the family that works for the New Jersey Devils hockey team so i guess the ball is rolling.

Thinking about this website thing makes me want to do it again...i think i will...thanks for the help dudes.

A good friend, Alex Close, who I worked with at CNN, is a big hockey fan and a big Philadelphia Flyers fan.

If you can build a page, get some good content on it, maybe some good writers, I might be able to e-mail it to him and see if he can send it out to some people.

Let's see what can happen.

Slappy8800
08-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Cryers fan eh?...can i point and laugh at him first? :P

thanks man...what do i have a month before football season officially starts?....that should be enough time to get this up and goin

DolphinDevil28
08-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Cryers fan eh?...can i point and laugh at him first? :P

thanks man...what do i have a month before football season officially starts?....that should be enough time to get this up and goin

I can call him any time I want. It doesn't matter what time of year it is.

It would just be a start...you know, something to put on a resume. He loves hockey.