PDA

View Full Version : Love affair with cars starts to skid

BAMAPHIN 22
08-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Americans love their automobiles, but not as much as they used to.

Nearly seven in 10 drivers enjoy getting behind the wheel, while the rest think it's a chore. In 1991, nearly eight in 10 said they liked driving.

The biggest reasons for dreading the road: traffic and the behavior of other drivers. Only 3 percent point to high gas prices.

"Other drivers get on my nerves," said Steve Heavisides, a 45-year-old teacher from Vernon, Conn., who had just returned home from a short drive. "There was a women who could have gone right on red and she was just sitting there talking on her cell phone. People don't pay attention and that gets on your nerves."

About one in four drivers thinks of his or her car as "something special" instead of just a "means of transportation," according to a poll released Tuesday by the Pew Research Center. Nearly one in three thinks it has "a personality of its own."

Americans have been loving their cars for about a century, buying increasingly bigger, faster and more expensive cars while the rest of the world moves toward economy and efficiency. But the new poll suggests that driving is becoming more of a burden for many.

The souring attitudes evolved as many Americans moved farther from central cities, generating longer commutes and more congestion. By 2001, the U.S. had more personal vehicles (204 million) than licensed drivers (191 million).
Urban drivers endured an average of 47 hours of rush hour traffic delays in 2003, a threefold increase from two decades earlier. The worst problems were in Los Angeles, where the average driver suffered almost 100 hours of traffic delays. That's about four full days of waiting for the car in front of you to move.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060801/ap_on_go_ot/driving_americans

Pagan
08-02-2006, 09:20 AM
It's only a chore when you don't like the car you're driving.

Somehow I can see how the guy who has to drive a '92 Nissan Sentra with 200,000 miles on it doesn't enjoy his drive. :wink:

Motion
08-02-2006, 09:44 AM

Somehow I can see how the guy who has to drive a '92 Nissan Sentra with 200,000 miles on it doesn't enjoy his drive. :wink:

Agreed

Baxter
08-02-2006, 09:48 AM
I spend at least 3 hours a day driving and it is a chore for me. I have a nice vehicle. Its just with that must driving you want to be doing something else.

Pagan
08-02-2006, 09:48 AM
I spend at least 3 hours a day driving and it is a chore for me. I have a nice vehicle. Its just with that must driving you want to be doing something else.
Dude, you're obviously on the extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to a commute. Not too many people spend three hours a day driving.

I spend an hour and a half a day commuting, and I have a blast taking the Mustang up the Taconic Parkway, a two-lane twisting road through the mountains. I don't have half as much fun when I take my Saturn. :D

It's all relevant. :wink:

playmaker1
08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't think it is a chore. But it seems that everytime I'm driving somewhere it is to so a chore or work. I'd rather be in my recliner :)

Rocky Raccoon
08-02-2006, 12:13 PM
I hate driving

Philter25
08-02-2006, 12:18 PM

Totally agree for the most part, however sitting in traffic on the Beltway where you can never make it out of 2nd gear is annoying to me no matter what car im driving.

In_Flames
08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I enjoy driving when im not pressed for time to get somewhere and I' find myself suddenly surrounded by the elderly as well as 16 year old drivers on cell phones...:rolleyes:

Rocky Raccoon
08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
my dad just got the new Mustang. I'm afraid to drive it :tongue:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Pagan
08-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Totally agree for the most part, however sitting in traffic on the Beltway where you can never make it out of 2nd gear is annoying to me no matter what car im driving.
Have to agree with that....

*Pagan shudders remembering the time he was caught on the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn in bumper-to-bumper traffic while driving his 1973 'Cuda 340 with the "King Kong" clutch.*

Roman529
08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
To me driving is just a way to get from point A to point B. I could be just as happy driving a Yugo as a Porsche. A car is a car.

Motion
08-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I could be just as happy driving a Yugo as a Porsche. A car is a car.

:goof: Don't know about all that!

Pagan
08-02-2006, 12:38 PM
To me driving is just a way to get from point A to point B. I could be just as happy driving a Yugo as a Porsche. A car is a car.
You've obviously never driven a Porsche. :wink:

Roman529
08-02-2006, 12:43 PM
:goof: Don't know about all that!

Too many people worry about the car they are driving because they are "out to impress." I drive to get somewhere not to be seen. :wink:

Motion
08-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Too many people worry about the car they are driving because they are "out to impress." I drive to get somewhere not to be seen. :wink:

I could careless what other people think, its what I think and feel when I drive my car!

Pagan
08-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't think it's about that for alot of people. You're obviously not a "car person". There's something about driving a good performance car over driving a grocery getter.

If you're not into cars, there's no way to explain it to you. :wink:

Jimmy James
08-02-2006, 01:56 PM
You've obviously never driven a Porsche. :wink:

...or a Yugo. They were a whole level of terrible below the old terrible Hyundai Accents from what I heard.

Pagan
08-02-2006, 01:58 PM
...or a Yugo. They were a whole level of terrible below the old terrible Hyundai Accents from what I heard.
Reminds me of that joke....

A guy walks into an auto parts store and asks, "You have a oil cap for my Yugo?"

The guy behind the counter replies, "Sounds like a fair trade."

:lol:

Motion
08-02-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't think it's about that for alot of people. You're obviously not a "car person". There's something about driving a good performance car over driving a grocery getter.

If you're not into cars, there's no way to explain it to you. :wink:

:yes:

cnc66
08-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Have to agree with that....

*Pagan shudders remembering the time he was caught on the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn in bumper-to-bumper traffic while driving his 1973 'Cuda 340 with the "King Kong" clutch.*

had a '69 el Camino clutch add inches to my left quad because of rush hour...