PDA

View Full Version : Report: Pennington wins Jets QB Derby

Motion
08-02-2006, 09:46 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2537001

burger13
08-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Motion - can you post the important pieces from that article.....can't get to espn.com from here. Thanks!

Motion
08-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Motion - can you post the important pieces from that article.....can't get to espn.com from here. Thanks!
Sure. Really like your sig BTW.

Two major shoulder operations apparently aren't enough to pry the Jets' starting quarterback job away from Chad Pennington (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5047). A team official with knowledge of the Jets' plans told the Newark Star-Ledger that Pennington has won New York's starting job. New coach Eric Mangini began camp with a four-way competition for the job, with Pennington competing against Patrick Ramsey (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5918), Kellen Clemens (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7798) and Brooks Bollinger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6536).

"We're surprised at the progress he's made," the official told the newspaper. "No one expected him to be this far along this early." The official told the Star-Ledger that Pennington surprised the organization with his arm strength and accuracy early on in camp.

Pennington was far from crisp when the Jets opened camp, but has made progress each day.

"I have been really happy with Chad's progress," Mangini told reporters Tuesday. "He has strung together some good practices." Ramsey, the former Redskins starter, was acquired by the Jets in an offseason trade. Clemens, a rookie second-round pick out of Oregon, has the strongest arm of the bunch. Bollinger started when Pennington went down last season, but had a remote chance of winning the job.After getting a $64 million deal as the franchise quarterback in 2004, nothing has gone right for Pennington. Once hailed as the face of the franchise, this could be his final season in a Jets uniform if he fails to win the starting job.

He initially tore his right rotator cuff during the 2004 season but played through it, and ended up having surgery in early 2005. But it is now apparent the Jets rushed him back so he could be ready for the start of last season. He only had six months between his surgery and the start of camp.

BwanaZulia
08-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Good news for the Jets bad news for everyone else.

Chad is a good QB and the best option we have right now. If he can stay healthy for the season, the Jets can turn around the 4-12 season and be back to a playoff team.

BZ

newbetterbucs05
08-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Ramsey should be starting for them IMO

burger13
08-02-2006, 10:56 AM

Chad is a good QB and the best option we have right now. If he can stay healthy for the season, the Jets can turn around the 4-12 season and be back to a playoff team.

BZ

:confused:

If Chad is the best option you have, than the news is neither good nor bad for everyone else......just expected.

"If he can stay healthy" really is the key isn't it. Aside from the health aspect, there really wasn't any question in my mind who would start for you guys.

IMO, You will get, as always, adequate but unspectacular QB play from Pennington.....but the big difference between now and then is the supporting cast. Martin is older and actually looked it last year. The two rookies on the O-Line should develope into great players.....but they are still rookies. As such, I expect the line to struggle for the better part of the season. At WR, the news about McCarriens (who I've felt was overrated since you guys traded for him) can't be at all encouraging.

As proven by the Dolphins last year, you can't count on a team coming off of a 4-12 season to repeat that performance........but, it's not like I'm going to start worrying about the Jets competing for a playoff spot just yet.

Rocky Raccoon
08-02-2006, 12:06 PM
I couldn't believe it when I found out this morning in the paper. Just last night they were talking about how it would be a long battle between all 4 guys, and then all of a sudden I see it in the paper.

Motion
08-02-2006, 12:19 PM

BZ

Pretty bold statement right there.

Rocky Raccoon
08-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Pretty bold statement right there.

the Jets are a better team then people give them credit for IMO. If, and that's a big if, Chad can return to old form they can definately make some noise.

tucker
08-02-2006, 03:30 PM
who is the back up rb? b/c martin isnt gonna last long

Motion
08-02-2006, 03:40 PM
who is the back up rb? b/c martin isnt gonna last long

Blayock is supposedly 1st string right now. They drafted Leon Washington too.

Motion
08-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Or not...... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2537001

Now there are conflicting reports on the Jets QB

BwanaZulia
08-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Blayock is supposedly 1st string right now. They drafted Leon Washington too.

Blaylock, Houstan, Leon Washington.

No matter what, it will be RB by committee.

BZ

BwanaZulia
08-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Or not...... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2537001

Now there are conflicting reports on the Jets QB

Yeah... it was just a rumor.. but still probably foreshadowing the future.

BZ

BwanaZulia
08-02-2006, 04:40 PM
:confused:

If Chad is the best option you have, than the news is neither good nor bad for everyone else......just expected.

"If he can stay healthy" really is the key isn't it. Aside from the health aspect, there really wasn't any question in my mind who would start for you guys.

IMO, You will get, as always, adequate but unspectacular QB play from Pennington.....but the big difference between now and then is the supporting cast. Martin is older and actually looked it last year. The two rookies on the O-Line should develope into great players.....but they are still rookies. As such, I expect the line to struggle for the better part of the season. At WR, the news about McCarriens (who I've felt was overrated since you guys traded for him) can't be at all encouraging.

As proven by the Dolphins last year, you can't count on a team coming off of a 4-12 season to repeat that performance........but, it's not like I'm going to start worrying about the Jets competing for a playoff spot just yet.

Staying healthy in the NFL is really everyone's problem.

If Daunte stays healthy. If Tom Brady stays Healthy... if Manning stays healthy.

The offensive line cannot be worse than last year so I am looking for an improvement.

I have and will predict 9-7 for the season with just a hint of playoff hopes thrown in for a good mix. I see the Jets has coming back to their 2004 spot rather than their 2005 injury riddled team.

The pieces are all there, they just have to be played correctly.

BZ

dominizzo
08-02-2006, 11:59 PM

BZ

LMAO!!

Pat Ramsey is better than him

newbetterbucs05
08-03-2006, 07:38 AM
LMAO!!

Pat Ramsey is better than him

I think when healthy Pennington is better than Ramsey but for this year Ramsey should be the choice aafter Chad is coming off a shoulder injury. Start Ramsey this year and let Pennington take the season off or maybe just play a few games at the end of the year when it doesn't matter. They want him at his best shape for the 07-08 season.

Dors156
08-03-2006, 08:34 AM
i think chad is the best QB they have.he was solid till his injury battles had to start.i dont think ramsey is good.i just dont see why everyone likes him.its better to put in chad then throw in kellen clemons

BwanaZulia
08-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Sorry, Patrick Ramsey is no where near Chad in terms of anything other than arm strength.

Chad has more wins, more game experience, more playoffs, more time with the team, more presense in the pocket, better decision making and is winning out the job because of all of that.

BZ

BAMAPHIN 22
08-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Jets coach insists Pennington hasn't wrapped up job

Though Chad Pennington has outplayed his competition for the open quarterback job, New York Jets coach Eric Mangini insists he has yet to make a decision on a starter.

Mangini said Wednesday he will continue with the four-man rotation of Pennington, Patrick Ramsey, Brooks Bollinger and rookie Kellen Clemens during training camp, refuting a published report that Pennington had already won the job less than a week into practice.

"I can just tell you as the head coach of this football team what I told everyone in here is the same -- the rotation will continue and there is no change on that situation," Mangini said.

"I have not made up my mind yet. As soon as I make up my mind and name a starter I will definitely let you know."

Although it's been pretty clear that Pennington has looked consistently better than the other three in practice, Mangini said that the competition will keep going until he sees what he wants.

"I'm looking for a person to step up and show that they should be the starter," Mangini said. "It's a consistent theme, but it's something I really believe in. Someone has to win that spot. As soon as someone does, then that's the point where we'll make a decision. Until then, it's going to be open."

Asked specifically about Pennington, Mangini said, "Chad has made progress. He's done some good things. But you see it each day, where he'll hit a big play and then it comes back.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/08/02/bc.fbn.jets.pennington.ap/index.html