PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma dismisses QB Bomar

Pennington's Rocket Arm
08-02-2006, 02:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2537332

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma starting quarterback Rhett Bomar (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161705) will not play for the Sooners this season following an investigation by the team, according to a television report.

Oklahoma confirmed that two players had been dismissed by the team but did not identify them. The school said in a statement that the players violated NCAA rules by working at a private business and taking "payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked."

Oklahoma City television station KWTV reported that Bomar, who set an Oklahoma freshman record with 2,018 passing yards after taking over as the Sooners' starter in the second game last season, was one of the two players who had been permanently dismissed.

Motion
08-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Uh Oh AirFish!

Nappy Roots
08-02-2006, 02:44 PM
WOW! thats crazy..It seems like college teams are really starting to crack down on behaivor. FSU dismissed 3 players, UM letting Willie Williams go, also suspending their players. good for the programs.

Motion
08-02-2006, 03:38 PM
WOW! thats crazy..It seems like college teams are really starting to crack down on behaivor. FSU dismissed 3 players, UM letting Willie Williams go, also suspending their players. good for the programs.

:yes: Florida dismissed one of their starting CBs this season, Avery Atkins , for a Domestic Violence incident.

DonShula84
08-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Losing the starting QB and Guard cant help that offense

AirFishOne
08-02-2006, 05:40 PM
**** Bomar, that little peice of trash!! have fun playin in some wack division II school or not playin ball at all, thank you for probably ruining our season, you coulda been good man. :fire:

Words can not express my anger right now

duss12
08-02-2006, 05:43 PM
**** Bomar, that little peice of trash!! have fun playin in some wack division II school or not playin ball at all, thank you for probably ruining our season, you coulda been good man. :fire:

Words can not express my anger right now

When you have no clue as to what happened blame the player!!!!!

Nappy Roots
08-02-2006, 05:49 PM

everyone knows what happen

AirFishOne
08-02-2006, 06:04 PM

do you live on an island or something with no TV and/or source of sports media?

AirFishOne
08-03-2006, 12:30 AM
ok, forgive my previous post, i was obviously not thinking, well at least I have Dolphins football to look forward to

Coral Reefer
08-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Wow, just read about this. :shakeno:

I'll be interested to hear the specifics.
I'm not a fan of some of the NCAA's rules for scholarship athletes that also work. This kid could be getting the shaft.

Nappy Roots
08-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Wow, just read about this. :shakeno:

I'll be interested to hear the specifics.
I'm not a fan of some of the NCAA's rules for scholarship athletes that also work. This kid could be getting the shaft.

no, he was getting paid large amounts for work he wasnt doin..

kid got what he deserved

Coral Reefer
08-03-2006, 12:45 AM
no, he was getting paid large amounts for work he wasnt doin..

kid got what he deserved

If that's the case you're right.
People think those little "Alumni bonus packages" for players don't exist anymore but they do. Hell I even saw it happen at my school UCF when we were just DIV. 1AA.

You'd think they'd be smarter knowing they've got a contract coming in just a few years.

Coral Reefer
08-03-2006, 12:46 AM
ok, forgive my previous post, i was obviously not thinking, well at least I have Dolphins football to look forward to

You here any additional specifics on it AirFish or is it too painful to talk about right now?

Nappy Roots
08-03-2006, 12:48 AM
If that's the case you're right.
People think those little "Alumni bonus packages" for players don't exist anymore but they do. Hell I even saw it happen at my school UCF when we were just DIV. 1AA.

You'd think they'd be smarter knowing they've got a contract coming in just a few years.

oh yea. i seen some stuff happen....im not going to say anything just incase...but ive seen it

AirFishOne
08-03-2006, 12:57 AM
You here any additional specifics on it AirFish or is it too painful to talk about right now?

basicly, what happened was Rhett Bomar and his roomate starting guard J.D Quinn both worked at a car delership over the summer, they were payed a certain amount of money for hours they never worked.

Lets say you make $500 dollars for 2 hours.....in 2 hours they worked, they earned more money than $500.

They really got 18k

Coral Reefer
08-03-2006, 01:00 AM
basicly, what happened was Rhett Bomar and his roomate starting guard J.D Quinn both worked at a car delership over the summer, they were payed a certain amount of money for hours they never worked.

Lets say you make $500 dollars for 2 hours.....in 2 hours they worked, they earned more money than $500.

They really got 18k

:rolleyes2

18K that could cost them millions when they end up not getting drafted. Silly Rabbit.

That's too bad man.
Does OU have a QB that can step up and produce?

I got forced into liking the Sooners while living in Texas. My ex was from OK and went to OU. We went to almost all the OU Tex and OU Nebraska games for 5 years. Hated them at first but damned if they didn't grow on me.

They're not my favorite and your not going to catch me with an OU hat on but I always check to see how they are doing.

AirFishOne
08-03-2006, 02:21 AM
Well Paul Thompson who has been here since 2002 at WR has most experience, I really beleive it is his destiny to lead us to somehting big, I mean he got here backing up the great Jason White, then had to start in a bad situation against TCU last year, with no o line, no reciving core, and a terrible OC, he suffered witha young team and the nation judged him on that, I beleive he will lead us to the promise land, it would certanly be a great story, I really hope he does

Other than that we have Joey Halzle, a strong JUCO QB outa California, he shoulg make some noise, as well as highly recruited true freshman Sam Bradford, but i think Paul will get the nod

Cmon Paul I beleive, it is now us against the world

DonShula84
08-03-2006, 02:33 AM
Sorry to hear about this man I know you had some high hopes for the season. I'd pretty much jump in front of a bus if it were Quinn and ND.

AirFishOne
08-03-2006, 02:39 AM
thank you for your sympathy Don, but thats the thing about top notch programs like Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC, etc.... if we lose one star we are bound to get another in a short period of time, I still have faith but im still dissapointed

Philter25
08-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Well, at least now we dont haveto listen to AirFishOne blow hot air about OU all year. Why couldnt this happen 5-6 months ago! :lol:

Well Paul Thompson who has been here since 2002 at WR has most experience, I really beleive it is his destiny to lead us to somehting big, I mean he got here backing up the great Jason White,
If this statement doesnt reek of homerism, I dont know what does then. How is the "great" Jason White doing anyway? He still playing in the California Beach League?

Motion
08-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Funny thing is, if this happened at Florida there would probably be more people cheering than upset. :lol:

@@@
08-03-2006, 11:49 AM
How is the "great" Jason White doing anyway? He still playing in the California Beach League?:lol:

Timmy54
08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
i think it shows alot of class for OU to do this, they will not try and hide rule breaking and for that they should be applauded

AirFishOne
08-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Well, at least now we dont haveto listen to AirFishOne blow hot air about OU all year. Why couldnt this happen 5-6 months ago! :lol:

If this statement doesnt reek of homerism, I dont know what does then. How is the "great" Jason White doing anyway? He still playing in the California Beach League?

Welll lets see, countless individual awards including the Heisman trophy, holds all of OU's school records for passing, quaterbacked for some of OU's best teams in recent history, never lost at Owen Field, 1 NC ring, 2 back to back NC apperances, 3 Big XII CC rings, undefeated against Texas.....oh yea he did all of this on 2 broken knees for God's sakes!!! Also who gives a damn about how his future went after OU, is that how you measure great players in college by how they did in the NFL? So by that logic Tom Brady must be one the greatest players in NCAA history...wrong! You cant deny that Jason White was one of the greatest QB's in recent history, yes he didnt do too well in the final NC games, but those were team meltdowns, besides if you wanna bash him for that you might as well bash Marino for that too, all the records, individual awards...but no Ring (Jason has a ring but was backup to Heupel in 2000)

Whats the difference between me talking about my FAVORITE team than Hurricane fans on here talking about their team....hell, some of em even say that he (kyle Write) will win the Hiesman....sounds pretty homer to me. Everything that comes outa my mouth seems to be homer, mayb because I am the only Sooner fan here, is it homer to expect your team to do well? Oklahoma fans are not happy with 1-2 loss seasons like most Hurricanes fans are we expect 14-0, 13-0 seasons, go to our board (which I highly doubt you will) look at us, just because we lost an AVERAGE qb dosent mean we are done.

nick1
08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
what BS, you can't work at a private bussiness according to the NCAA. thats alot of BS. can someone explain to me why the league won't allow this

Motion
08-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Now saying he "knowingly" broke the rules, thats just asking to get caught.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5840840

Adrian
08-04-2006, 01:20 AM
what BS, you can't work at a private bussiness according to the NCAA. thats alot of BS. can someone explain to me why the league won't allow this

is this a serious question?

DolphinDevil28
08-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Funny thing is, if this happened at Florida there would probably be more people cheering than upset. :lol:

Motion, Urban has the "brook trout look" in your sig. :lol:

J/K.

Motion
08-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Motion, Urban has the "brook trout look" in your sig. :lol:

J/K.

That pic was probably taken after one of Leak's Option Baseball Slides. :lol:

nick1
08-04-2006, 11:00 AM
is this a serious question?
yes it is, why can't someone work for a private buiness? the NCAA has alot of dumb rules. and how is it that Jeremy Bloom is kicked out of the league for being paid as a pro skiier but the guy from ND can box pro and stay in the league and the other guy from ND just got money from the Chicago Cubs and remains in the league. I don't get the NCAA rules

Stoy10
08-04-2006, 12:40 PM
He should have went to tO$U if he wanted paid. The NCAA and its head moron Myles Brand let the *uckeyes walk all over the rulebook.

AirFishOne
08-04-2006, 04:03 PM
I heard Troy Smith did almost the same thing, accepted money from boosters, and ole tressel just suspeneded him for 1 game :shakeno:

Motion
08-04-2006, 04:13 PM
I heard Troy Smith did almost the same thing, accepted money from boosters, and ole tressel just suspeneded him for 1 game :shakeno:

Its not about what the coaches do, its the NCAA. They are really cracking down on this stuff.

AirFishOne
08-04-2006, 04:59 PM
true motion...

DonShula84
08-04-2006, 05:09 PM
yes it is, why can't someone work for a private buiness? the NCAA has alot of dumb rules. and how is it that Jeremy Bloom is kicked out of the league for being paid as a pro skiier but the guy from ND can box pro and stay in the league and the other guy from ND just got money from the Chicago Cubs and remains in the league. I don't get the NCAA rules

They were being paid a lot more then they were actually working that's the problem. It has nothing to do w/ working for a private business. It has to do w/ being paid for work you arent doing because you are a football player. And the ND guy wasnt sponsored, Jeremy Bloom refused to drop his sponsorship that was the difference between them. If Zib had said I use this brand of boxing glove or use this sports drink because it's the best and got paid for it it would have been a violation. Big difference between the two. Same w/ Jeff and the Cubs. You can be a pro athlete and get paid, you just cant get paid by outside companies in the form of sponsorship.

nick1
08-04-2006, 05:55 PM
They were being paid a lot more then they were actually working that's the problem. It has nothing to do w/ working for a private business. It has to do w/ being paid for work you arent doing because you are a football player. And the ND guy wasnt sponsored, Jeremy Bloom refused to drop his sponsorship that was the difference between them. If Zib had said I use this brand of boxing glove or use this sports drink because it's the best and got paid for it it would have been a violation. Big difference between the two. Same w/ Jeff and the Cubs. You can be a pro athlete and get paid, you just cant get paid by outside companies in the form of sponsorship.
I understand now thank you

speedy1383
08-08-2006, 11:41 PM
He broke the rules and knew he was breaking them. He deserved to be kicked off.

AirFishOne
12-06-2006, 12:01 AM
super bump!

Haters, well we didnt make it to the NC game, but we did make it to Glendale.

Heres to the haters eating crow

:tongue:

HysterikiLL
12-06-2006, 04:41 PM
OU just secured a 4 star QB too who had already committed to MSU. With Halzle, and this guy, the QB position if finally getting some solidarity down there. Go OU!