PDA

View Full Version : Route 66

Gonzo
08-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Has anyone here driven it? I am thinking of taking it on my way back to Phoenix from Toronto and I was wondering how much longer it takes than the regular highways. I am somewhat limited on time, but I could always take it on my way back to Toronto in a few months. Any suggestions?

Either way, does anybody know any good website for classic motels. I have already checked the ones google gives me. Any others?

Nappy Roots
08-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Ive heard of it, but not really heard about it...Is the view suppose to be great or something?

Gonzo
08-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Ive heard of it, but not really heard about it...Is the view suppose to be great or something?It's a route from pre-interstate highway America. It's just a different way to see the country. It will make a long, boring trip that I have already made a couple of times somewhat interesting. There's a bunch of restaruants and old school motels along the way.

ILPhinFan88
08-03-2006, 01:11 AM
I drive part of it every day a section of it goes through this area, that s about it for me, sounds cool though.

Gonzo
08-03-2006, 01:17 AM
I drive part of it every day a section of it goes through this area, that s about it for me, sounds cool though. Yeah, it follows the route I would take anyway almost exactly, so I figure why not? I was looking at motels around the Pocahontas, IL area, but I think I can probably make it into at least Missouri before needing to stop.

dominizzo
08-03-2006, 01:42 AM
U like TO it sux!! u should of came to MTL

Gonzo
08-03-2006, 01:44 AM
U like TO it sux!! u should of came to MTLI like my girlfriend, Dom, and she lives in TO.

And what in the hell is an Alouette (sp?)??

dominizzo
08-03-2006, 01:55 AM
Alouettes is a football team CFL!! Montreal Alouettes!!

An Alouette is a bird

Ur Gfriend lives In TO!!

Long distance relationship Gonzo?

Gonzo
08-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Alouettes is a football team CFL!! Montreal Alouettes!!

An Alouette is a bird

Ur Gfriend lives In TO!!

Long distance relationship Gonzo?

:lol: you didn't know this Dom?

I was referring to the team. I thought they were named after a French children's song. :lol:

dominizzo
08-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Long distance relationship?

Gonzo
08-03-2006, 02:16 AM
Long distance relationship?yep, for two years. Met in Italy.

dominizzo
08-03-2006, 02:20 AM
WOOOW

Ur da man!!

Baxter
08-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Its hard to Recognize which streets are old 66. there are signs everyonce in awhile but they have torn it up so much to put in new roads its just hard to see in some parts.

DrAstroZoom
08-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Gonzo ... you have to give me a shout out when you pass through Springfield, IL ... there's even a Route 66 Hotel and Conference Center here. If nothing else, I can treat you to one of our famous horseshoes.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

DrAstroZoom
08-03-2006, 09:32 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Here's the Route, for those still wondering.

Baxter
08-03-2006, 09:36 AM
It comes through Springfield MO as well (where I live). Dont look me up I will be busy.:refuse::wink:

dQbell
08-03-2006, 01:58 PM
I think that would be really cool. I've always wanted to do it myself. Maybe when i'm retired or with my sons some day.

Gonzo
08-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Gonzo ... you have to give me a shout out when you pass through Springfield, IL ... there's even a Route 66 Hotel and Conference Center here. If nothing else, I can treat you to one of our famous horseshoes.

http://www.sj-r.com/voice/photos/Thumb/voice6horse030706.jpg

I might have to take you up on that. I wasn't going to actually start the trip until just east of St. Louis, but I may as well start in Chicago (I was planning on avoiding driving through Chicago). Is there a quick way to get to I-55 from I-57? I-72?

If you have Google Earth, here is the path for it as a placemark:
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/96814/page/vc

The rest of the thread provides some sights and whatnot along it as well.

DrAstroZoom
08-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Yup ... that's how I normally do it.

Prophet
08-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Take it, I took it a few times and enjoyed the ride. There are a few books you can pick up that tell about the history of the hwy and nice stops along the way. Enjoy the trip.

Gonzo
08-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Take it, I took it a few times and enjoyed the ride. There are a few books you can pick up that tell about the history of the hwy and nice stops along the way. Enjoy the trip.Yeah, I am looking up older (yet still somewhat clean...) motels along the way and have found a couple of books on them at the library. I am going to photocopy the ones that look the coolest.

Gonzo
08-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Heading out tomorrow, so I thought I would bump this thread. I was told that it's about 8 hours to Chicago from here, so I figure I will make it in about 6. Hoping to make it into Missouri before stopping.

I hate leaving.

Rocky Raccoon
08-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Heading out tomorrow, so I thought I would bump this thread. I was told that it's about 8 hours to Chicago from here, so I figure I will make it in about 6. Hoping to make it into Missouri before stopping.

I hate leaving.

drive safely bud :hi5:

Roman529
08-14-2006, 04:29 PM
I have driven it many many times. It orignally started in Chicago and dead ends in Santa Monica, California. There are places where parts of Route 66 still exist. I drove through the New Mexico part of Route 66 to Flagstaff, Arizona at least 15 times on my way to school at ASU. In places like Albuquerque, you have Route 66 which is now Central Avenue. All along Route 66 you have a lot of old motels, many of them with cool neon signs. Near Holbrook, Arizona they have a hotel with rooms like Indian teepees. It also runs by the meteor crater near Winslow, Arizona. I love driving through the desert. I hope some day to drive the whole route on a motorcycle.