PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to hackers: Take your best shot

Celtkin
08-04-2006, 05:52 AM
LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP) -- After suffering embarrassing security exploits over the past several years, Microsoft Corp. is trying a new tactic: inviting some of the world's best-known computer experts to try to poke holes in Vista, the next generation of its Windows operating system.
Microsoft made a test version of Vista available to about 3,000 security professionals Thursday as it detailed the steps it has taken to fortify the product against attacks that can compromise bank account numbers and other sensitive information.
"You need to touch it, feel it," Andrew Cushman, Microsoft's director of security outreach, said during a talk at the Black Hat computer-security conference. "We're here to show our work."
Microsoft has faced blistering criticism for security holes that have led to network outages and business disruptions for its customers. After being accused for not putting enough resources into shoring up its products, the software maker is trying to convince outsiders that it has changed.
"They're going directly to the bear in the bear's lair," says Jon Callas, the chief technology officer at PGP Corp., which makes encryption software and other security products. "They are going to people who don't like them, say nasty things and have the incentive to find the things that are wrong."

|CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/08/03/microsoft.hackers.ap/index.html)|

TJamesW_phinfan
08-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Very interesting. I sent that too my IT buddy who hates Windows and praises Linux. It is always good to give him fuel to gripe about. :)

I remember an early press demo of XP crashing to a blue screen even though it was supposed to not do that anymore. But I have to admit going back to the first version of Windows and DOS up through XP, XP is an improvement in many ways. I just hope they really did put the resources into beefing up security.

Considering they are the most used OS they will always be a target and will never be 100% secure though.

Being the geek that I am I still am wanting to try vista after they iron out a few more pre-release bugs. Even though I have heard all the horror stories about resource hogging and interface etc.

It will be entertaining to see the havoc the Black Hat crew can wreak or if MS really made Vista any harder to crack.

CrunchTime
08-04-2006, 12:31 PM
There has been a whole industry born due to Windows vulnerability to security attacks.

The fact that they are finally taking measures to tighten up the security of their software will not prevent hackers from finding more creative ways to overcome them.

However all they need to do is to convince the consumers that they have solved the problem and the product will sell.

Celtkin
08-04-2006, 01:18 PM
There has been a whole industry born due to Windows vulnerability to security attacks.

The fact that they are finally taking measures to tighten up the security of their software will not prevent hackers from finding more creative ways to overcome them.

However all they need to do is to convince the consumers that they have solved the problem and the product will sell.

I think this also gives Microsoft a chance to get the best in the world a chance to accept the challenge rather than just hacking into a release version the pointing fingers.

BTW: Nice job on the CanesHeaven.com (http://www.canesheaven.com) banner :up:

CrunchTime
08-04-2006, 01:29 PM
I think this also gives Microsoft a chance to get the best in the world a chance to accept the challenge rather than just hacking into a release version the pointing fingers.

BTW: Nice job on the CanesHeaven.com (http://www.canesheaven.com) banner :up:

Thanks,bro.Its got too many colors which is why its bleeding a bit.

You are welcome to use if you want.If not thats ok too.:wink:

Celtkin
08-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks,bro.Its got too many colors which is why its bleeding a bit.

You are welcome to use if you want.If not thats ok too.:wink:

Thanks, brother. I already have one in my sig and I am pretty close to being maxed out as far as sigs are concerned. (in fact, I may be a little over) http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/08/27-1.gif

Excellent work though !

dominizzo
08-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Great REad!!
lloks like the HAckers are in for a great surprise

Dolfan984
08-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Man, hackers, the good ones anyway (you know, the virgin who sits in a dark room 24/7 "getting back" at people because noone likes them) are very very creative. If they can honestly find a way to block these guys for a significant period of time, it will be amazing IMO.