PDA

View Full Version : Vista Hacked at Microsoft Show

Muck
08-04-2006, 05:43 PM
LAS VEGAS--While Microsoft talked up Windows Vista security at Black Hat, a researcher in another room demonstrated how to hack the operating system.

Joanna Rutkowska, a Polish researcher at Singapore-based COSEINC, showed that it is possible to bypass security measures in Vista that should prevent unsigned code from running.

While the compromise is not as cut and dry as the title or exerpt may imply, this is the kind of news story you should expect to see regarding Microsoft and Vista.

http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-6102458.html?part=rss&tag=6102458&subj=news

Noteworthy: she used a technology from AMD to create her software.

Timmy54
08-04-2006, 08:02 PM
didnt they just challenge hackers, lol that was quick, stick with mac baby

Celtkin
08-04-2006, 09:01 PM
didnt they just challenge hackers, lol that was quick, stick with mac baby

Living my life on a Mac and that was the shortest challenge in OS history:

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=152219

:sidelol:

Muck
08-04-2006, 09:48 PM
OS X was hacked in under 30 minutes this spring.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6046197.html

That's the only thing that bothers me about the Mac commercials. It's not some revolutionary invention that is inpervious to viruses or being hacked. It's simply a niche product, hence not a big target.

BlitPhinFan
08-04-2006, 10:01 PM

That's the only thing that bothers me about the Mac commercials. It's not some revolutionary invention that is inpervious to viruses or being hacked. It's simply a niche product, hence not a big target.
Yep, security through obscurity. I've done it myself with various router and OS brands. To be honest it has at times caused me more headaches with getting configurations right and fixing compatability issues, than to take the right various precautions of using the mainstream brands.

dQbell
08-04-2006, 10:03 PM

Thank you. I'm a bit weathered by everyone claiming a Mac is so stable.

TJamesW_phinfan
08-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Well they did ask for it. :lol:

On the other hand it is better for them to see it now and fix it before it ships. Hopefully.

Muck
08-04-2006, 11:58 PM
This guy, who always gives me ****, at a client business was telling everybody how they should get Macs and they wouldn't have to pay me to take care of them and what have you. Basically being an *** in front of a crowd.

I told him that not everything will run on a Mac. He says to me in a confrontational tone: "You bring any piece of software in here and I'll show not only how it runs, but how much better it runs on Mac".

I then opened the CEO's desk drawer and tossed him a copy of the well-known loan origination software that he and every other mortgage/title company uses, which only runs on Windows.

"Run that."

I don't know if he actually tried to load it, but I made my point. :lol:

I have nothing against Macs or the Mac world. I just hate when their fans are arrogant ***** about it. Same goes for Windows users who blindly diss Macs. If something works for you, great. But don't look down at someone else for doing things another way. Especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

TJamesW_phinfan
08-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Macs do have impressive features but they are not 100% stable or 100% secure either. I am too much of a gaming fanatic to give up Windows and even with its weaknesses I actually like some parts of Windows. I am sure that is, to a large degree, because I am used to Windows. I would be very surprised to see any commercial OS that is 100% secure that has any type of online connection.

CrunchTime
08-05-2006, 01:47 PM
I didnt think it would take long.Where there is a will there is a way.

The fact that Windows is making a sincere effort to address the problem will help sales of their Vista software

IMO the challenge is a publicity stunt designed to draw attention to MSs new product.

I know it caught my eye.

dQbell
08-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Macs have one thing to thank in their pursuit of the PC, the Ipod.

The Ipod has given Apple a very "cool" image. Now, they can campaign, as they are doing with their latest commercials, that PCs are boring and slow, while Macs are creative, unique and ultra-slick.

I think the campaign is indeed great, and it's working, but without the Ipod, Appple would not be able to do such things.

unifiedtheory
08-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Macs have one thing to thank in their pursuit of the PC, the Ipod.

The Ipod has given Apple a very "cool" image. Now, they can campaign, as they are doing with their latest commercials, that PCs are boring and slow, while Macs are creative, unique and ultra-slick.

I think the campaign is indeed great, and it's working, but without the Ipod, Appple would not be able to do such things.

Without the iPod, Apple might be dead...

That being said, I might be making the switch this year. The new G5 is looking better and better to me all the time.

Jimmy James
08-05-2006, 09:26 PM
I think Mac is pretty much (to me at least) the new Sony. Eventually, they're going to release the rumored TiVo-killer Mac mini that will be the new mainstay under (or on top of) everybody's TV. They'll retain the other niches they have, of course. There are just too many advantages to being pretty much a black box instead of a white box.

I don't see making the switch to Apple hardware for my mainline computing. The $500 notebook PC is just too tempting when compared to the $1500 Mac notebook.

BlitPhinFan
08-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I think Mac is pretty much (to me at least) be the new Sony. Eventually, they're going to release the rumored TiVo-killer Mac mini that will be the new mainstay under (or on top of) everybody's TV. They'll retain the other niches they have, of course. There are just too many advantages to being pretty much a black box instead of a white
box.

I don't see making the switch to Apple hardware for my mainline computing. The $500 notebook PC is just too tempting when compared to the $1500 Mac notebook.
I agree, the price to performace still goes to the so called PC platform. I for one can't wait to see what comes from the AMD buying out ATI deal. I hope the AMD 4x4 is as impresive as it sounds.

And to think, they did this just after the release of the M2 boards, right after I finally upgraded my gaming PC. :tantrum:

Oh well, I will just have to bite the bullet if this come to fruition and build a new box.