PDA

View Full Version : Speeder stops to help trooper chasing him

BAMAPHIN 22
08-05-2006, 12:38 PM
A state Highway Patrol officer who crashed while trying to catch up to a speeding motorist got some aid from an unlikely source — the man he was chasing.

The patrolman, Frank Nowakowski, was uninjured in the crash Wednesday.
Nowakowski was nearing the end of his shift along Interstate 15 when a vehicle sped by at more than 95 mph in the opposite lanes.

Nowakowski crossed the median and took off after the driver, reaching speeds of 120 mph in an effort to catch up. Nowakowski said he had just decided to end the pursuit for safety reasons when one of the rear tires of his cruiser blew out, sending his patrol car careering off the highway and through a barbed-wire fence.

“This happened in a heartbeat,” he said. “I had no idea.”

Moments later, the man he had been trying to stop, whom the patrol identified only as a Bozeman man, was at his side at the crash scene.

‘It was very heartfelt’

Trooper David Braggs said the driver apparently was unaware that Nowakowski was trying to pull him over, but saw a large cloud of dust in his rearview mirror, knew there had been an accident and turned around to help.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14191850/

dolfan72734me
08-05-2006, 04:45 PM
So the guy couldn't see the blue lights that are meant to attract attention, but he could see the cloud of dust?

cnc66
08-05-2006, 04:57 PM
So the guy couldn't see the blue lights that are meant to attract attention, but he could see the cloud of dust?

who cares, he came back.

Prakk
08-05-2006, 05:02 PM
You'd have to live in Montana. Like I do.

Timmy54
08-05-2006, 07:36 PM
thats the only honorable way to be.good for him

Alex44
08-05-2006, 07:44 PM
hey just because you dont wanna be pulled over doesnt mean you want the guy hurt

Hopefully they lessen whatever type of fine or jailtime he would be recieving

Prime Time
08-06-2006, 01:00 AM
He helped the officer out. Most people would probably just be like OH CRAP and speed off.

PassRush
08-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Where did it say his lights were on. Whenever I get pulled over, the cop pulls up real close behind me before hitting his blues. It may be because I, and the car I drive, fit the profile of someone who would run. Very good for him.

SuavePhin
08-06-2006, 01:43 AM
You'd have to live in Montana. Like I do.

You and me both, quite a state we live in :D

Jimmy James
08-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Where did it say his lights were on. Whenever I get pulled over, the cop pulls up real close behind me before hitting his blues. It may be because I, and the car I drive, fit the profile of someone who would run. Very good for him.

The couple of times I have been pulled over (including the once I got a speeding ticket), the cop did exactly this.

Even if the cop had his lights on, it might not be apparent he's trying to pull you over unless he gets right up to you. Isn't Montana where they have no set speed limit?

Celtkin
08-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Typically, a patrol officer will turn on the overheads only when he is in a positon to persue if the driver flees. Another consideration might be to follow the car for a short period of time while you wait for wants and warrants on the vehicle.

As for the guy coming back to check on the officer; Good for him. Had he continued to flee and had the officer been injured, he'd be looking at an additional charge for not rendering aid and leaving the scene of an accident with injuries.

I really doesn't matter if he saw the overheads before the accident or even if had not seen the accident. The fact that a 'criminal' act on his part led to the officer's injury is enough to charge the guy.

Trackstar
08-06-2006, 10:50 AM
I wonder if he got a speeding ticket.

SuavePhin
08-06-2006, 11:33 AM
The couple of times I have been pulled over (including the once I got a speeding ticket), the cop did exactly this.

Even if the cop had his lights on, it might not be apparent he's trying to pull you over unless he gets right up to you. Isn't Montana where they have no set speed limit?

Used too, after a short time period the # of accidents and deaths was getting rediculous, so they re-instated the speed limits, it was getting insane when a mini-van was passing a porsche on the highways, that isn't exactly "reasonable and prudent" :lol:

Scrap
08-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Had he not been speeding, the wreck wouldn't have happened. Give the ******* a ticket.

dolfan72734me
08-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Everytime I have seen an officer on the interstate turn around for someone speeding, the had their lights on. Sorry if my personal experience is different than everyone else.
Yes it is great that he turned around to help. But if he kept going, how would he have been charged if he had no way of knowing he was being pursued because the pursuit lights were not on.