PDA

View Full Version : U r sckd: worker fired by text message

BAMAPHIN 22
08-07-2006, 11:45 AM
A company has defended its decision to sack one of its staff by text message, claiming it was keeping in touch with youth culture.

Katy Tanner, a 21-year-old sales assistant, received the message while she was off work with a migraine, the South Wales Echo newspaper said Friday.

The text message said: "We will not require your services anymore...Thank you for your time with us."

"I don't think it's right to just text someone. At least they should have talked to me face to face," Tanner said.

"You're not allowed to text in sick, you have to phone. The fact that they texted me is a bit of double standards."

Several senior staff members at Blue Banana, a body-piercing and jewellery shop based in Cardiff, defended the decision.

But company director Jon Taylor added that an internal investigation was underway to see if "the ultimate action was ideal".

The retailer claims it tried to reach Tanner directly "five or six times" and passed on a message through her boyfriend before the text was sent.
And store director Ian Besbie added that the dismissal method was fair because texting was a part of "youth culture".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060804/wl_uk_afp/britaintelecomjobs

JSwerdy
08-07-2006, 12:25 PM
theyd id an article on this in the miami herald a couple of weeks ago, the increasing trend of firings/quittings and relationship breakups through text message. they also talked about people finding out their significant other dumped them because the relationship status on places like myspace.com changed from "in a relationship" to "single"

the article is in the archive section. this is all i could get without registering:
Source: NICOLE WHITE, nwhite@MiamiHerald.com
Breaking up or quitting a job was never so easy before instant communication - or so shameless To quit a job, a boyfriend and, yes, even a marriage, some people - finding it hard to face tough situations - are doing the unthinkable: turning to e-mails and cellphone text messages to end their relationships. They're sending e-mails to tell a spouse they want a divorce, a significant other that they want to move on or to tell a boss they quit. ``I didn't want a

Metal Panda
08-07-2006, 01:05 PM
A company has defended its decision to sack one of its staff by text message, claiming it was keeping in touch with youth culture.

Katy Tanner, a 21-year-old sales assistant, received the message while she was off work with a migraine, the South Wales Echo newspaper said Friday.

The text message said: "We will not require your services anymore...Thank you for your time with us."

"I don't think it's right to just text someone. At least they should have talked to me face to face," Tanner said.

"You're not allowed to text in sick, you have to phone. The fact that they texted me is a bit of double standards."

Several senior staff members at Blue Banana, a body-piercing and jewellery shop based in Cardiff, defended the decision.

But company director Jon Taylor added that an internal investigation was underway to see if "the ultimate action was ideal".

The retailer claims it tried to reach Tanner directly "five or six times" and passed on a message through her boyfriend before the text was sent.
And store director Ian Besbie added that the dismissal method was fair because texting was a part of "youth culture".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060804/wl_uk_afp/britaintelecomjobs

What a stupid pile of crap. Texting is a "part of youth culture"?

If anything, what they should have done is tried to wait another day and try again, if she didn't come into the office. People aren't always available 24/7 for phone messages. If she didn't come in that day, and they couldn't tell her face to face, try by phone again. If you still can't reach her, write up a professional letter and mail it.

ch19079
08-07-2006, 01:33 PM
i bet her boss thaught it would be funny.

i would be pissed. who gets fired by a text message. I would have thaught it was a joke.

King Nate
08-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I can't wait for doctors to start texting patients their diagnosis.

"You have cancer. OMG WTF!!!111!"

UltraDol-Fan
08-07-2006, 01:52 PM

:lol:

PassRush
08-07-2006, 04:13 PM

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

For being fired, that sucks. I did once dump a chick via text message then blocker her number. When she came over to my apartment I would turn off the lights and pretend I wasn't home.

Metal Panda
08-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I'll say this, and I'm guilty of it as well.

Technology has merely made it easier for us to be spineless, and to avoid confrontation.

PassRush
08-07-2006, 04:21 PM
I'll say this, and I'm guilty of it as well.

Technology has merely made it easier for us to be spineless, and to avoid confrontation.

:hi5:

UltraDol-Fan
08-07-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm all about avoiding confrontation :lol:

why call when an email will do!