PDA

View Full Version : Hey Migs!

LeftCoastPhin
04-15-2003, 01:10 PM
I've heard an unsubstantiated rumor involving a trade between the Cubs and Marlins. It would send 3b Mark Bellhorn, 2b Bobby Hill (somewhat heralded prospect), and a unnamed picthing prospect to the Marlins for Mike Lowell and Luis Castillo.

I think that would be great for the Cubs who desparately need both Lowell and Castillo and it could be ok for the Marlins depending on how Hill pans out and who the pitching prospect is. Bellhorn is a fine sub, has not yet proven to be a starter.

Have you heard anything? I know the Marlins are usually down to dump payroll.

Migs182005
04-15-2003, 08:03 PM
Left, I have heard nothing about this trade.

It's bs. as far as I'm concerned. The Marlins won't trade anyone before the halfway point of the season or until they are out of contention.

Maybe they'd do something like this later, but not right now.

I personally don't like it, but it actually makes sense, based on what the Marlins do. Castillo won't be a Marlin next year, and the same for Lowell so trading them before they become free agents to get something in return sounds like something the Marlins would do.

I would hope they don't do that trade

LeftCoastPhin
04-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Yea, this is a harsh thing to say to a Dolphin fan but if they lose, I hope they lose big because I want Lowell bad. Castillo would be gravy. But hey, if they win, I hope they win big. No in between.

Migs182005
04-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
Yea, this is a harsh thing to say to a Dolphin fan but if they lose, I hope they lose big because I want Lowell bad. Castillo would be gravy. But hey, if they win, I hope they win big. No in between.

Well, :lol: I don't know what to say :lol:

We'll just have to see :tongue:

LeftCoastPhin
04-16-2003, 12:55 PM
:lol: Yea, what would be ideal is if the Cubs gave up fair value because they have a surplus of top tier pitching prospects.

Bellhorn is coming out of his slump at 3rd and I like him a lot. Grudzialanek is also a decent player for the Cubs at 2nd. But, again, I drool at the thought of getting Lowell and Castillo. IMO that would turn the Cubs from play off contenders into World Series contenders.

Anyway, what's up with the Marlins? I thought young pitching was their strength? Last time I checked their ERA was soaring.

Also, it's bugging me because I forgot who the Cubs traded to the Marlins for Clement and Alf. I remember I liked that trade because of the potential of the throw in Clement, but wasn't thrilled about Alf. And that's the way it's worked for the Cubs, Clement is excelling and I'm still not crazy about Alf and am hoping the Red Sox trade for him. Do you know who the Cubs gave up for Alf and Clement?

Migs182005
04-16-2003, 01:04 PM
Julian Tavarez is who the Cubs gave up for them, and he's not even a Marlins anymore.

The problem right now with the Marlins has been injuries, but there are also some coaching problems that are effecting the team.

You also have to realize the Marlins are playing in the most competitive division in the NL (I believe)

I really hoped we would have kept Clement beacuse he has great stuff, but they are the cost cutting Marlins :rolleyes:

LeftCoastPhin
04-16-2003, 01:35 PM
Oh yea, that trade was just wrong. Tavarez was a mal content for the Cubs. But the Cubbies did take Heredia off your hands so thats a plus. Baseball has got to be the king of trading mediocre players.

Anyway, I feel for ya that the Marlins are cheap. That sucks and baseball needs a salary cap. I laugh at the Cubs fans who think the Tribune company is cheap with the Cubs. To a certain extent they are, if you look at the great attendance of the team. However, they are still in the top 12 and might have even pushed into the top 10 in payroll so it could be way worse. The problem isn't really their cheapness, it's that they have a habit of giving big money to crap players (Hundley, now Karros) who are past their prime and not developing talent. That is finally changing now and with their unbelievable rotation I am finally getting over Maddux departing to the Braves.

Anyway, I feel your pain with the Marlins not signing their talent. They may or may not have much choice based on attendance and market share but it still sucks and baseball needs a cap.

P.S. None of this changes the fact that I want to fleece your team of Lowell and Castillo! :evil: :lol: