PDA

View Full Version : FFVII remade and a sequel.

FinSinceBirth
08-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Well it is in my full opinion that FF7 is the best Final Fantasy game ever made, aside from 3. And well about a month ago I was watching this channel called G4 that dealt strictly with video games. It talked about FF7 and said it was being remade for ps3. They then showed a video of what the new graphics would look like. For those of you who have played the game, the video was the intro with Aeries in the market with the flower basket. The graphics were absolutely incredible, and they just blew me away. Aeries was hot before, but in this video she looked like a real woman.

As far as the sequel goes, it should be out soon at your local game stores. It's called FF7 "Dirge of Hell" I believe. The game follows the story line of the character Vincent Valentine after the events of the game. He was an interesting character, and I look forward to playing his story.

Desides
08-08-2006, 12:43 AM
FF7 isn't being remade. Square-Enix showed a tech demo at E3 2005, which was basically FF7's opening CG movie rendered in real-time on PS3 development hardware. It's only a tech demo, not a preview of a to-be-released game. G4 got its "FF7 is being remade" story from EGM, which mistakenly reported a few months back that an FF7 remake was in the works. Square-Enix has denied this at every opportunity they've had. While an FF7 remake will probably come eventually, don't get your hopes up until it's actually announced.

As for the new game... it's Dirge of Cerberus. It does star Vincent, but it takes place one year after Advent Children, and it's a third-person action-shooter game. Think Devil May Cry, just not as good.

Dolfan984
08-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Man if they ever remake FF7 for PS3 I'm the first one to get it :D

FinSinceBirth
08-08-2006, 03:03 PM
FF7 isn't being remade. Square-Enix showed a tech demo at E3 2005, which was basically FF7's opening CG movie rendered in real-time on PS3 development hardware. It's only a tech demo, not a preview of a to-be-released game. G4 got its "FF7 is being remade" story from EGM, which mistakenly reported a few months back that an FF7 remake was in the works. Square-Enix has denied this at every opportunity they've had. While an FF7 remake will probably come eventually, don't get your hopes up until it's actually announced.

As for the new game... it's Dirge of Cerberus. It does star Vincent, but it takes place one year after Advent Children, and it's a third-person action-shooter game. Think Devil May Cry, just not as good.

I didn't realize it wasn't a remake, thanks for correcting me. However that is dissapointing news, I think it would be great to play it updated.

As far as Dirge of Cerberus, it probably won't be a number one game in the nation. But, it should go over well with fans of the series and FF7. It just depends on how much of a FF freak you are.

mor911
08-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Dirge of Cerberus seems like a cheap cash-in on a popular license. They're gonna take a cool character like Vincent and put in a cheesy Devil May Cry-esq game... Not happy.

Dolfan984
08-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Dirge of Cerberus seems like a cheap cash-in on a popular license. They're gonna take a cool character like Vincent and put in a cheesy Devil May Cry-esq game... Not happy.

I agree, Vincent was the 2nd coolest character in that game. I mean, if the game rocks, that's cool, but it seems like they're just tryin to cash in.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
08-08-2006, 05:45 PM
yeah everything i hear is that is dirge of cerebus is horrible. it supposedly feels like any game based on a movie.

Desides
08-08-2006, 10:24 PM
The thing with Dirge of Cerberus is that the Japanese version was indeed horrible. Square-Enix is not a company experienced with action games by any stretch of the imagination, so they understandably goofed up. The important thing to keep in mind is that they HAVE responded to criticism and HAVE improved the game, which is the primary reason why it's taken so long to get released here. Gamespot wrote up a list of various changes (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/dirgeofcerberusfinalfantasyvii/news.html?sid=6150916) and enhancements done to the game in preparation for its US release, and it's pretty encouraging.

Keep in mind that it's not REALLY like Devil May Cry--I was using that just as an example so people would understand that Dirge is NOT an RPG. The best way to imagine it is to combine Resident Evil 4's over-the-shoulder aiming mechanic with Devil May Cry 3's roaming. It should be a good game thanks to the enhancements, but don't expect perfection.

And as far as an FF7 remake goes, it's probably inevitable--Square-Enix has remade 1 and 2 on at least three systems, ported/enhanced 4, 5, and 6 on at least two systems, and totally remade 3. If they continue with their remake frenzy, 7 is next in line. However, the tech demo isn't proof that it's in the works. Square showed off a real-time FF8 tech demo when Sony unveiled the PS2, and we didn't get an FF8 remake to show for it.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
08-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Square showed off a real-time FF8 tech demo when Sony unveiled the PS2, and we didn't get an FF8 remake to show for it.
the difference is people actually WANT a remake of FF7.

Dolfan984
08-08-2006, 10:32 PM

Seriously. 7 was so good when I played through 8 I was pretty dissapointed.

Desides
08-09-2006, 02:44 AM

Actually, if you judge demand solely by sales figures, FF8 easily wins the remake contest. It's the highest-selling FF game ever made.

I wouldn't mind seeing an FF8 remake either. Ignore the horrible story (well, the Laguna parts were great) and focus on the fairly innovative gameplay and it's pretty fun. Then again, I'm probably one of only 5 people who liked the Junction and Draw systems.

Dolfan984
08-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Actually, if you judge demand solely by sales figures, FF8 easily wins the remake contest. It's the highest-selling FF game ever made.

I wouldn't mind seeing an FF8 remake either. Ignore the horrible story (well, the Laguna parts were great) and focus on the fairly innovative gameplay and it's pretty fun. Then again, I'm probably one of only 5 people who liked the Junction and Draw systems.

I imagine more people had PS1's by then, also you know it was hyped big.

mor911
08-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Sales isn't really a very good judge of fanfare either. Zelda is probably the most recognized and the most popular video game IPs ....ever (i think). Yet Wind waker and the Gamecube was a good chunk behind the PS2 and Xbox in sales.

Zelda is still a more of a sure thing to get to fans than Halo2 is. Although sales charts ould say differently. :wink:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
08-09-2006, 09:54 AM
FF8 sold so much because of FF7...

Desides
08-09-2006, 02:29 PM
I imagine more people had PS1's by then, also you know it was hyped big.
Even more people had PS1s when FF9 was released, yet FF9 didn't do as well as FF8.

If you mean that people who liked FF7 bought FF8, that doesn't explain the difference in sales.

Sales isn't really a very good judge of fanfare either.
What? Yes they are. Popular games sell. Now, if you mean sales aren't indicative of quality, well, who's to say what's quality? Everyone has a different opinion. I didn't like Titanic, but it's the highest-grossing movie ever, which means SOMEONE liked it.

Dolfan984
08-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Even more people had PS1s when FF9 was released, yet FF9 didn't do as well as FF8.

If you mean that people who liked FF7 bought FF8, that doesn't explain the difference in sales.

What? Yes they are. Popular games sell. Now, if you mean sales aren't indicative of quality, well, who's to say what's quality? Everyone has a different opinion. I didn't like Titanic, but it's the highest-grossing movie ever, which means SOMEONE liked it.

FF9 wasn't hyped as big as FF8 because FF8 wasn't even close to FF7 level. Again I bring up that more people had PS1s, so there was more people to buy FF8. Thinking FF8 is better than FF7 is like thinking Rocky 5 is better than Rocky 1.

mor911
08-09-2006, 03:18 PM

Not really true.. You're not taking marketing in to effect. A wel marketed game generally sells well regardless of fanfare or quality. I know for a FACT that Fable is neither as good a game as or has as many fans as Wind Waker, but I'm pretty sure it sold better than Wind Waker. Why? The media hype machine... and bitchin commercials. I'll admit, I bit too. I bought Fable on ship day.

Some very horrible games *cough* Xmen 3 *cough* have lead the sales charts... I doubt Xmen3 the game sells because of it's die-hard comic book fans. Some, yes. But not the <insert obsurdly large number here> million copies.

Desides
08-09-2006, 03:52 PM
FF9 wasn't hyped as big as FF8 because FF8 wasn't even close to FF7 level.

FF8 wasn't hyped to the level of FF7 and sold more. FF9 wasn't hyped at all and sold millions, though not as much as FF8. Arguing that FF8's additional sales were a byproduct of the additional installed base of the PS1 by the time of FF8's launch is disproven by FF9's lesser sales.

Not really true.. You're not taking marketing in to effect. A wel marketed game generally sells well regardless of fanfare or quality.

FF8's marketing consisted of gaming magazine advertisements, 1 commercial, and a release date concurrent with the Dreamcast's launch (which broke records for best-selling console launch at the time.) And it's still the best-selling FF game ever. FF7 had almost two years of hype, three separate TV commercials, and no major opposing launch, yet did not sell as well. Folks, I get that you don't like FF8--but don't let your opinion interfere with your interpretation of how and why the game sold.

Dolfan984
08-10-2006, 12:05 AM
FF8 wasn't hyped to the level of FF7 and sold more. FF9 wasn't hyped at all and sold millions, though not as much as FF8. Arguing that FF8's additional sales were a byproduct of the additional installed base of the PS1 by the time of FF8's launch is disproven by FF9's lesser sales.

FF8's marketing consisted of gaming magazine advertisements, 1 commercial, and a release date concurrent with the Dreamcast's launch (which broke records for best-selling console launch at the time.) And it's still the best-selling FF game ever. FF7 had almost two years of hype, three separate TV commercials, and no major opposing launch, yet did not sell as well. Folks, I get that you don't like FF8--but don't let your opinion interfere with your interpretation of how and why the game sold.

Well I bought FF7 about a year after release, and bought FF8 the day it came out. I may have misworded hyped, because FF7 was clearly worth the hype, and had FF8 gotten that hype, it would've been a massive dissapoitment. I think FF9 didn't have the same sales as FF8, for the same reason FF8 got the massive sales because of FF7.

I don't really care about sales honestly, I care about the quality of the game. FF7 blows FF8 out of the water in every catagory except graphics game wise.

Some random *** person who loves FF8 will argue that it's better than 7, but you don't see movie sequels, game sequels, rumors of remakes, and forums for friggen FF7 around like you'd see for FF8.

FF8 kinda sucked.

Mike13
08-10-2006, 12:16 AM

Yeah, because people were expecting it to be as great as FFVII.

FinSinceBirth
08-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Besides FF7 I think 3 is the second best final fantasy game. I've been playing it on my super nintendo emulator and despite the crappy graphics I love the game. Only complaint is the game play can be kind of easy...but it doesn't butter me that much.

They did the remake of 3 for one of the nintendo portable systems did they not?

I would like to see 3 remade and hit the ps2 (so I can play it) or also the ps3.

Nintendo selling the rights for FF to Sony was the worst move ever. Probably great for the franchise of FF but bad for the Nintendo franchise.

My biggest problem with FF games is my ADD. I get towards the end and then get onto the next game of some sort and finally come back to beat the game years later. To this day I'm at the end of FF10 and haven't beaten it yet.

Dolfan984
08-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Besides FF7 I think 3 is the second best final fantasy game. I've been playing it on my super nintendo emulator and despite the crappy graphics I love the game. Only complaint is the game play can be kind of easy...but it doesn't butter me that much.

They did the remake of 3 for one of the nintendo portable systems did they not?

I would like to see 3 remade and hit the ps2 (so I can play it) or also the ps3.

Nintendo selling the rights for FF to Sony was the worst move ever. Probably great for the franchise of FF but bad for the Nintendo franchise.

My biggest problem with FF games is my ADD. I get towards the end and then get onto the next game of some sort and finally come back to beat the game years later. To this day I'm at the end of FF10 and haven't beaten it yet.

I do kinda the same thing, expept the thing is I always tell myself "I'm gunna get everything in the game" by the time I had like 2/3 the sphere grid full I think "i'd like to see the ending" I beat it, then don't play it for a year. Then I get everything :tongue:

FF3 is also my second favorite of the series. Lots say it's the best of the series. Lots say 7 is. I personally think 7 is but you can make a real good argument either way.

Dolfan2788
08-10-2006, 03:41 AM
FFVII is the greatest in the FF series and to say that 8 didn't get its sales because of 7 is just a stupid remark.

I really liked 10 and thought it was really good although after having gotten through about 90% of the game I realised I wasn't able to get everything.
Also, did anyone else spend 3 hours like I did trying to get Tidus' sword from the Calm Lands on the chocobos? I got it my 5th try the first time around but then the 2nd time around it took me a couple of days.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
08-10-2006, 10:04 AM
by the way, where did you find that FF8 sold more than any other FF game?

from wikipedia:

Final Fantasy VII was both a critical and commercial success. It received extremely favorable reviews from many video game magazines—GameFan, for instance, called it "quite possibly the greatest game ever made" [7]—and the game has sold more than 9.70 million copies worldwide as of December, 2005, earning it the position of the best-selling Final Fantasy title.

Final Fantasy VIII has sold 7.86 million units worldwide as of May 2006, making it the third best-selling title of the series, behind Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VII.

Mike13
08-10-2006, 10:38 AM
FFVII is the greatest in the FF series and to say that 8 didn't get its sales because of 7 is just a stupid remark.

I really liked 10 and thought it was really good although after having gotten through about 90% of the game I realised I wasn't able to get everything.
Also, did anyone else spend 3 hours like I did trying to get Tidus' sword from the Calm Lands on the chocobos? I got it my 5th try the first time around but then the 2nd time around it took me a couple of days.

Man I gave up after about a ****load of tries, and I've only gotten close maybe once.

FinSinceBirth
08-10-2006, 11:02 AM

I really screwed up somehowbecause I can't get any of the special weapons due to the fact I can't get the celestial mirror. I go up the crystal path in the Msomething woods but there's a lady in the way so says "she's taking a rest". So I'm stuck with the cloudy mirror and no special weapons

Mike13
08-10-2006, 11:12 AM
I really screwed up somehowbecause I can't get any of the special weapons due to the fact I can't get the celestial mirror. I go up the crystal path in the Msomething woods but there's a lady in the way so says "she's taking a rest". So I'm stuck with the cloudy mirror and no special weapons

Well I think the best one is Auron's anyway. Its relatively easy to get also.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
i gave up on FFX just because it was so crappy.

FinSinceBirth
08-10-2006, 02:56 PM
The difficulty in the Final Fantasy Franchise is that it's almost impossibleto get everything in the game without a players guide. At least that's my opinion. I don't know how the rest of you feel.

Dolfan984
08-10-2006, 05:24 PM

Well it was early PS2, and I agree the story didn't hold a candle to 7, but I really like how the fights went. I like levels more than the sphere grid though.

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-10-2006, 05:31 PM

For me the ending in FFX was much better than FFVII. I also liked the fighting much better in FFX Than FFVII.

I think FFVI is the best Final fantasy game ever. I wish they would remake that one.

Dolfan984
08-10-2006, 05:37 PM
For me the ending in FFX was much better than FFVII. I also liked the fighting much better in FFX Than FFVII.

I think FFVI is the best Final fantasy game ever. I wish they would remake that one.

The ending of FFVII was whatever. I hated that automatic win at the very end. IMO it should've been pretty epic, not one attack and it's over

Dol-Fan Dupree
08-10-2006, 05:53 PM
The ending of FFVII was whatever. I hated that automatic win at the very end. IMO it should've been pretty epic, not one attack and it's over

what upset me is that I didn't really know what happened. Well I know now with Advent Children, however I felt so "Way to go planet, way to kick Ultima's butt (either that or Meteos I can't remember right now), umm what happened after? Oo look it is red umm neat it has kids."

I am American, I like endings that make me feel satisfied. Such as FFVI, FFXI, FFXIII(not my favorite, but what an ending), and FFX

Dolfan984
08-10-2006, 11:23 PM
what upset me is that I didn't really know what happened. Well I know now with Advent Children, however I felt so "Way to go planet, way to kick Ultima's butt (either that or Meteos I can't remember right now), umm what happened after? Oo look it is red umm neat it has kids."

I am American, I like endings that make me feel satisfied. Such as FFVI, FFXI, FFXIII(not my favorite, but what an ending), and FFX

I agree, but yeah Advent Children did clear it up. I liked Advent Children as well :D

MartinTheSNAKE
08-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Was ff7 the one with the boxer guy who only faught with his fists and was always trying to pick fights with people or was that 8? those were the only 2 i played.

I dont remember his name

Skinny guy with short hair

Dolfan984
08-13-2006, 02:54 AM
Was ff7 the one with the boxer guy who only faught with his fists and was always trying to pick fights with people or was that 8? those were the only 2 i played.

I dont remember his name

Skinny guy with short hair

8. Was the dude with the blonde hair.

Mike13
08-13-2006, 06:50 PM

Its kind of hard to see that ending when the game hasn't come out yet.